• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
THE best video game song of this gen ?

Hotline Miami 2 baby

More than honourable mentions :

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018

It's gotta be the theme to Fallout 4 from Inon Zur. I fucking love this song, and everything about it. The use of it in the trailer for the game was brilliant, and for me it tells a story. It starts off peaceful, nostalgic and teanquil like the postwar era of the Fallout canon. Then suddenly... bam! An explosive burst of tension, energy and fright. The nukes are inbound. The world has gone to shit. Finally, the nuke strikes and the music hits its climax, and what's left is a soft reprise of the earlier music, the living members of society clinging on to anything sense of normalcy left and trying to rebuild.

The song is sad, thoughtful but also darkly hopeful and I love it to bits.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Need more Breath of the Wild in here.

Just relaxing as fuck.

love the way the instruments join the track as you progress this quest

honestly my favorite musical moment in the whole game is when you make the molduga vulnerable

Melody

Oct 28, 2017

I posted this instead of the opening to avoid spoilers.

I love that a good chunk Heavensward's soundtrack can be heard in its main theme.
Some of it is probably due to having listened to variations of it throughout the game, but the opening theme still gives me chills.

Edit: Only unfortunate thing is it's harder to hear the chorus in this recording.

Last edited:

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 for me. I have the Nier: Automata and Persona 5 OSTs, they'd probably be tied at second.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Hmmmmmmmmmm, The Witcher 3 and Yakuza 0 have some amazing ones, but I think I'll stick with DMCV

Either one of them, I love both

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Maybe not my overall favorite track this gen, but I really adore this song from RDR2.

And this song from Bloodborne as well. It's just so haunting and beautiful.

Oh yeah, and there's also this song from Fire Emblem Echoes

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As hinted at above, I'm obsessed with the Undertale OST. I could post a million tracks from it onto this list, but "Another Medium" stands above them all in my opinion. Just an absolute banger that captures the setting of the area so well. The transitions are filthy.
How you gonna do us like that? Asking us a question and posting the objectively correct answer?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Undertale and Nier Automata, as noted multiple times above, have the soundtracks of the generation.

But there are definitely single tracks from other games that deserve mention as well, including Devil Trigger from DMC V and a few remixes from Smash Ultimate.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Also FF14 ost is unmatched as a whole as good as other tracks in some games are.

Only Smash Ultimate comes close imo