• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
O7P2YGX4-sword-in-the-stone-4.jpg

Just a few days ago, we reported on Excalibur missing from the stone in front of King Arthur Carrousel in Disneyland. Though at first, it seemed to be connected to the upcoming refurbishment, some updates have brought to light a whole different story.

So if the sword wasn't removed for the refurbishment, what happened to it? Luckily, we had some eyewitnesses to the event that caused the removal of the iconic sword:

sword-in-the-stone-coment-2.png

So apparently it wasn't Disney's doing at all, just a committed and excited first-timer. The "1st Visit" button clearly wasn't enough, he needed to have Excalibur to prove he went to Disneyland. Unfortunately, some broken pieces of the sword were left inside the stone. With its replacement, we can only imagine they too have been removed.
giphy.gif

I'm legitimately surprised that there's a fully scultped sword in there. England-Era, how do you feel now that Uther Pendragon's successor has been found? Are you excited?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
if it was just a hilt cast into a fake anvil, that would be pure Disney post 1970.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised it's not plastic like everything else.

Unless it is in which case I'm not surprised.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't the Sword lift via a switch? I know they do this where kids lift it. But this must have snapped it when locked into the stone...... wow

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Considering Arthur was probably a Celt who fought Angles and Saxons I'd say he has his work cut out for him.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately surprised that there's a fully scultped sword in there.

They have the part that's supposed to come out for kids sculpted. I kinda doubt the tip's included; it's gimmicked to stop before it's ever fully pulled out.

Behold all its swordly glory:

SU43CeQ.jpg

Last edited:

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Pulling swords out of stones is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate given from the masses, not from some farcical stone based ceremony....

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
The two swords get mixed up a lot in modern times, but in the story the sword in the stone gets broken and the Lady of the Lake gives him Excalibur.
13th century version it was Excalibur, 15th century version it's 2 sword's.

In Arthurian romance, a number of explanations are given for Arthur's possession of Excalibur. In Robert de Boron's Merlin, the first tale to mention the "sword in the stone" motif, Arthur obtained the British throne by pulling a sword from an anvil sitting atop a stone that appeared in a churchyard on Christmas Eve.[13][note 1] In this account, as foretold by Merlin, the act could not be performed except by "the true king," meaning the divinely appointed king or true heir of Uther Pendragon. As Malory writes: "Whoso pulleth out this sword of this stone and anvil, is rightwise king born."[14][note 2] The identity of this sword as Excalibur is made explicit in the later Prose Merlin, part of the Lancelot-Grail cycle (the Vulgate Cycle).[15]

However, in the most famous English-language version of the Arthurian tales, Malory's 15th-century Le Morte d'Arthur, early in his reign Arthur breaks the Sword from the Stone while in combat against King Pellinore, and is given Excalibur by the Lady of the Lake in exchange for a later boon. Similarly, in the Post-Vulgate Cycle, Excalibur was given to Arthur by the Lady of the Lake sometime after he began to reign. In the Vulgate Mort Artu, Arthur is at the brink of death and so orders Griflet to throw the sword into the enchanted lake; after two failed attempts (as he felt such a great sword should not be thrown away), Griflet finally complies with the wounded king's request and a hand emerges from the lake to catch it. This tale becomes attached to Bedivere instead of Griflet in Malory and the English tradition.[16] Malory records both versions of the legend in his Le Morte d'Arthur, naming both swords as Excalibur

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just
because you pulled a sword out of some anvil

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Pulling swords out of stones is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate given from the masses, not from some farcical stone based ceremony....
Look, you can dream about some radical ideas for "other forms of governments", but around here we have always used the old & tested system of "find a guy who can pull swords out of things (preferably stones)". It simply works, and how would you even fund a process that manages to get "votes" from everybody. Preposterous. Next you'll propose that women should vote in your supposed form of government too.

Oct 28, 2017
Look, you can dream about some radical ideas for "other forms of governments", but around here we have always used the old & tested system of "find a guy who can pull swords out of things (preferably stones)". It simply works, and how would you even fund a process that manages to get "votes" from everybody. Preposterous. Next you'll propose that women should vote in your supposed form of government too.

Hey, no need to fight. We can find a compromise! What about multiple stones with multiple swords stuck inside, and if more than one guy manages to pull a sword out of a stone, we can have a vote between them. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.