• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
European Switch player here. It's the first time I get to experience a so-called "ghost town" in a video game I play. That phenomena where you're one of the four people in the world playing that game at that moment. What I didn't expect is that it would happen with a game that is barely a week old : Blazblue Cross Tag Battle.

The game is pretty fun to play, I beat most of the solo content and figured I might as well try some ranked battle online. No chance here : nobody (literally nobody, as in 0 players) is in one of the ranked lobbies. Let's go for a casual match then : out of the five lobbies available (for a maximum of 64 players each), only one had people playing, and they were only 18. 18 players in the entire Europe were playing the game on Switch. I found it astonishing, so I asked a friend who played the game on PS4 for his report on the situation : it was barely better on PS4.

The solo content of the game is mediocre : a grindy story mode that you can beat in 2h30 (3h30 for the 100%), a textbook survival mode and that's pretty much it. Reminescent of Street Fighter V at launch. But the catch here is that despite the netcode being as good as it could be, almost nobody is playing the game. And the Switch version is pretty good, there's no bad work done here. As I said, the game itself is pretty good to play, and very accessible. The issue is that the game doesn't let you play with people outside of Europe: servers aren't worldwide. Crossplay could have helped here, but as always Sony is making that impossible.

Steam charts shows that as of 30 minutes ago, 445 people (in the WORLD, so EU+US+JP combined) were playing the game. I assume that the servers are worldwide here, so you'll probably find people for now. I didn't pay for the game so I don't feel ripped off, and I can always play occasionally with a friend, but I felt like I should warn people in my situation against what could be their worst purchase in a while.

a29bca63e7.png

EDIT : Okay so you actually can change the region of the servers (to either EU, Japan or NA), the option is hidden so I didn't see it at first but you need to press X (or the top button of whatever you're using) after being connected and before joining a lobby.

Last edited:

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
oaaF3l0.png

I know that feeling.

The only fighting games that seem to be doing that well online right now are SF5 and DBFZ, at least in terms of finding matches.

EDIT: and Tekken

Last edited:

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I did the solo stuff and haven't touched the online stuff yet. Fighting games online gives me anxiety lol

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Can't you switch to the US servers? It's not really intuitive but iirc there's a way to do it.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, it might be a World Cup effect... specially in europe...
There were very high profile games today, so your ghost town must have been nuclear ground-0.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't you switch to the US servers? It's not really intuitive but iirc there's a way to do it.

If there's a way, I don't see it.

OP, it might be a World Cup effect... specially in europe...
There were very high profile games today, so your ghost town must have been nuclear ground-0.

I mean I'm watching the World Cup too, there's no matches right now so it can't explain that lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Tekken 7 does quite well for the full-price console port. Blazblue games are terrible for keeping the playerbase together, they need to rework the business model if they want to grow the online community.

Other than that, For Honor and Brawlhalla are the kings on PC.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
There's six BlazBlue games on Steam, so they could be cannibalizing one another.

Then there's the fact that Tag Battle's a full $50 during the big Steam sale, while you can buy Chronophantasma Extend, which likely offers the same experience for $4.49.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Last I heard the PS4 version's population was fine, though I haven't played for a week or so. Sadly that's kind of the way fighters usually go, people gravitate towards one version/platform.

This is one of the reasons why cross-play is important, games with heavy multiplayer components can't afford to divide their populations by region or platform.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
There's six BlazBlue games on Steam, so they could be cannibalizing one another.

Then there's the fact that Tag Battle's a full $50 during the big Steam sale, while you can buy Chronophantasma Extend, which likely offers the same experience for $4.49.
Doesn't the game have only 20 characters and tons of dlc ones. Despite the fact that most characters are from other games.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it could be busier but I can always find a non ranked match. There is often 15 to 20 people in the EU Switch casual server and I never have time to fight all twenty so what does it matter.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Is Tekken not doing well?

It's doing mighty fine. Don't let people fool you, people claiming a game is dead when it's not is extremely harmful for the health of a fighting game when it's a verifiable lie.

dsqfgdfgfdgtvsn8.png

Edit: I just checked and this 24-hour peak is better than both SF5 and DBFZ on steam. And we're talking about an audience who has never had a Tekken on PC before. Not to mention that T7 hasn't received any DLC since Noctis and the costume patch.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Join a Discord, its the best way to get matches. I still find enough people to play SFxT, USF4, and so forth.

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
Every fighting game population gets reduced to 1/10 of its launch day. I imagine switch's numbers are lower than PC and PS4 because the majority of the dedicated players aren't there. PC's NA servers tend to hover between 30-100 while PS4 gets thrice as that.

BBTAG only has the Blazblue name and some characters in it. It plays radically different.

And no, they are not cannibalizing each other, fans of the franchise always clump together at the latest entry, in this case it's Centralfiction.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Eu always had shit population for anime games unfortunately add the switch not exactly being the generally preferred fighting game platform and that explains a lot.

Also WC + CEO lots of people watching stuff

Plus the simple fact that that there wasn't much hype for Cross Tag so not exactly that many picked it up in the first place

Last edited:

SquirrelSoup

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
You can also enter ranked without going into a lobby -and- there's private rooms, so i'm sure those lobby numbers aren't everyone playing at that moment.

Personally i've gotten in late due to a holiday + EU delay but i've been having a blast with it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Checked the EU servers for ya. Still more than your friend said, but definitely not as good as NA.

My friend didn't specify a number, I just said to him "there are around 20 people playing right now" and told me that it was barely better on PS4. So yeah, that seems to be the case, I guess it fluctuates a bit depending on the time.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it is a decent fighting game but I was finding hard to find a match so I traded it in and got Wolfenstein 2.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Maybe after EVO you will see some re-heated passion for the game... i mean... it got in there....

But this was quite predictable, the game is not all that great, and those DLC practices were straight up stupid.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
You should have really specified that you were from EU in the title because I almost thought I had landed in bizarro land. EU + Switch especially I am not surprised that it became a ghost town. Reminiscent of me trying to play Blazblue on my X360 here in the USA way back in the day.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
My friend didn't specify a number, I just said to him "there are around 20 people playing right now" and told me that it was barely better on PS4. So yeah, that seems to be the case, I guess it fluctuates a bit depending on the time.

Right now CEO is going on, so I know a lot of my EU friends are watching it. In this case, those numbers do add up.

I mean, that's the first thing I say in my post though.

To be fair, you did bring up the number of worldwide players for Steam. So I figured it was fair game.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've got some friends waiting for it to go on sale on PC, I'll probably pick it up during the Fall or Winter Steam sale to play with them.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SFV still alive and well, years later.

Fighting games still aren't as popular as they should be, and they probably never will be.

I expected this from BlazBlue, I just didn't expect it to die faster than GGXrd. It's a more fun game.

RoyalJL

Oct 28, 2017
European Switch player also here. In my case I decided to return the game.

With the lack of single player content, the problems with the DLCs (in EU we don't the get free the first character pack if you buy the game physically), and the 40 players only in the online the last time I played, I feel I will wait for the game go cheaper or if they update the game.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017

People don't really stick to older games in a fighting game series in significant numbers often, and anime fans are especially fickle and love to jump to the new anime fighter.

CPE is a pretty different game than CTB, btw. Well, all the other Blazblue games are very different from CTB. CTB is its own beast for better or worse.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I bought it, have finished the offline story and played some survival, but haven't touched online either. With all the tag mechanics it's the kind of game where I expect to be completely destroyed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it alienated a lot of hardcore BBers due to the stripped down mechanics(and neutered cast). Central Fiction is still getting plenty play.

I dunno, the simplification of game mechanics actually makes me enjoy the game more than I usually do with a more complicated Blazblue game. Inputs are fairly simple and it makes it easy to play your fav characters without worrying about how hard he would be to play.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
SFV still alive and well, years later.

Fighting games still aren't as popular as they should be, and they probably never will be.

I expected this from BlazBlue, I just didn't expect it to die faster than GGXrd. It's a more fun game.
On top of being Street Fighter, it greatly benefits from PS4-PC cross-play.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I dunno, the simplification of game mechanics actually makes me enjoy the game more than I usually do with a more complicated Blazblue game. Inputs are fairly simple and it makes it easy to play your fav characters without worrying about how hard he would be to play.
Well, it sucks if that fav character plays completely differently from how you're accustomed to. It's not bad with the new ones, but it sucks for existing ones.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can switch regions, OP.
Highlight online lobby in the main menu and then press "select world".

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
So the PS4 version in US has about 200 players and steam has 440 world wide? That is interesting

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Right now the most popular games got gameplay so different they don't overlap with each other, so there is no "cannibalism". SFV, Tekken 7, DBFZ, For Honor, Smash...