• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is The Last Jedi a good movie?

• Yes

• No

• Not mah Star Wars proceeds to let out a Chewbacca cry

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 28, 2017
Yup will never understand 'TLJ subverts expectations' crowd.

Some things were def subverted. Did you expect Luke to be portrayed the way he was? Did you expect Snoke to be offed so unceremoniously? Did you expect Rey and Kylo to be temporary allies? Did you expect Rey to have no connection to any important characters? Did you expect Poe's arc to basically be a deconstruction of the heroic male archetype?

I mean, we kinda know fan expectations were subverted with how strong the backlash has been in some quarters because the movie didn't deliver in the way those people both expected and wanted.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Some things were def subverted. Did you expect Luke to be portrayed the way he was? Did you expect Snoke to be offed so unceremoniously? Did you expect Rey and Kylo to be temporary allies? Did you expect Rey to have no connection to any important characters?
1. Given what happened to Han/Leia's relationship (not rosy) I was not surprised Luke was not gonna have turned out to be some golden hero in hiding.

2. True snoke being killed suddenly was a shock

3. True that was interesting until it was made irrelevant with how the film progressed

4. Yes as Maz said in TFA 'Dear child, the belonging you seek is not behind you… it is ahead.'

I took this to mean Rey's parents/past is not relevant, and is not important. It's her future that is important. So I always thought she came from nothing. I just feel a lot of fans missed Maz's line in TFA and its relevance.

Oct 28, 2017
1. Given what happened to Han/Leia's relationship (not rosy) I was not surprised Luke was not gonna have turned out to be some golden hero in hiding.
Oh, really? You expected a Luke that went to the island to die and the Jedi with him? Can't say I saw a lot of people predicting that turn of events. Or Luke contemplating killing his nephew being the reason for his exile.
4. Yes as Maz said in TFA 'Dear child, the belonging you seek is not behind you… it is ahead.'
Many, many people thought she had to be a Skywalker or Kenobi because of how advanced her force abilities were.

And the Rey/Kylo team-up I'm sure will continue to be explored in episode 9. Little too early to claim it was irrelevant.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Luke, Kylo, Rey, and Snoke scenes are pretty good (I was actually a fan of Luke's portrayal). The Yoda scene is easily the best of the sequel trilogy thus far, and one of Star War's best overall. Luke going from a broken, fallen man to displaying what might be the most impressive force usage yet in any movie was satisfying. They did properly portray Snoke as being a tier above Kylo and Rey. Losing due to overconfidence is a bit of a worn out trope (as is Kylo's kill the past shtick), but it is what it is. The ending with the kid's playing and talking about Skywalker with the force-sensitive display was a nice, subtle ending.

Everything else was generally garbage-level. The fleet chase was an interesting premise, but god damn did I not care about a single thing that happened in it. Wish Maz was cut even if she only had a brief cameo. The whole Canto Bight section was forgettable. Rose was.... a character in a movie. Hux is sadly related to comic relief, having the distinction of being the only person in Star Wars to suffer a "your mom" joke. Holdo was pretty decent, although part of me wishes that Admiral Ackbar filled her role. It's a throwaway role regardless, but this is one case where it would have been nice to play into fans' nostalgia and give everyone's favorite trap-detector something to actually do.

Overall, I walked out of the theater feeling rather disappointed. It wasn't good, it wasn't bad, I just felt nothing about the film. Being a big Star Wars fan, it feels weird to say that.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His story structuring just isn't for me, I guess. I found it disjointed, uneven and the pap was oozing from every "emotional" moment.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished watching it again after last seeing it a year ago.

I stand by my previous opinion. This is the best Star Wars film. It is just so good. The layers to the writing are fantastic. The call backs to ESB, subtle. There's too much for me to point out. But it's a great movie.

I'm a little worried about JJ being back at the helm for IX. I feel like Johnson's level of writing and storytelling just won't be there. Don't get me wrong, I like JJ's stuff. But it might be a little too mainstream for my liking.

I share this view as well.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luke, Kylo, Rey, and Snoke scenes are pretty good (I was actually a fan of Luke's portrayal). The Yoda scene is easily the best of the sequel trilogy thus far, and one of Star War's best overall. Luke going from a broken, fallen man to displaying what might be the most impressive force usage yet in any movie was satisfying. They did properly portray Snoke as being a tier above Kylo and Rey. Losing due to overconfidence is a bit of a worn out trope (as is Kylo's kill the past shtick), but it is what it is. The ending with the kid's playing and talking about Skywalker with the force-sensitive display was a nice, subtle ending.

Everything else was generally garbage-level. The fleet chase was an interesting premise, but god damn did I not care about a single thing that happened in it. Wish Maz was cut even if she only had a brief cameo. The whole Canto Bight section was forgettable. Rose was.... a character in a movie. Hux is sadly related to comic relief, having the distinction of being the only person in Star Wars to suffer a "your mom" joke. Holdo was pretty decent, although part of me wishes that Admiral Ackbar filled her role. It's a throwaway role regardless, but this is one case where it would have been nice to play into fans' nostalgia and give everyone's favorite trap-detector something to actually do.

Overall, I walked out of the theater feeling rather disappointed. It wasn't good, it wasn't bad, I just felt nothing about the film. Being a big Star Wars fan, it feels weird to say that.

It's annoying because I really like Rey as a character. If they toned down the spontaneously crazy Force powers, she'd be perfect, but I'm willing to overlook it because she's just that cool.

I'm pretty worried about Ben, though. He was fascinating in the first movie, because it was clear what they were going for - his obsession with his grandfather and finding his uncle, the way he spent more time convincing himself he was evil than actually being evil, how the light pulled at him... It felt like they were actually going to do something really unique with him, especially with that "kill the past" thing, right up until the moment they ruined it all by having him ask Rey to join him and rule the galaxy with him before proclaiming himself as Supreme Leader of the First Order. He's not Big Bad material yet The Last Jedi has set him up as exactly that. Which sucks.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Gwave.jpg

and give us another 20 pages!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's annoying because I really like Rey as a character. If they toned down the spontaneously crazy Force powers, she'd be perfect, but I'm willing to overlook it because she's just that cool.

I'm pretty worried about Ben, though. He was fascinating in the first movie, because it was clear what they were going for - his obsession with his grandfather and finding his uncle, the way he spent more time convincing himself he was evil than actually being evil, how the light pulled at him... It felt like they were actually going to do something really unique with him, especially with that "kill the past" thing, right up until the moment they ruined it all by having him ask Rey to join him and rule the galaxy with him before proclaiming himself as Supreme Leader of the First Order. He's not Big Bad material yet The Last Jedi has set him up as exactly that. Which sucks.

i think all will depending of what JJ does with Kylo/Ben

he needs to be the ultimate villain, no shades of light, we need him to embrace the darkness even more, so he doesnt feel like regressing from the last jedi.

it is not easy task JJ has because, having the last Skywalker being the final baddie sure it is a monumental task to pull off.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I didn't hate it but I didn't exactly leave the theater excited to ever watch it again even as a huge Star Wars fan. I would still put it above Solo easily at the end of the day though.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Definitely one of the best Star Wars films to date. As much as I almost feel it should be second-best, Star Wars' strengths as a stand alone film really make me reluctant to bump it up from its current spot of #3 (The Empire Strikes Back being #1 of course).

No issues with putting it above Return of the Jedi though, that's an easy choice. The Last Jedi is certainly the best Star Wars film in the last 38 years.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's a mixed bag for me with some highs and lows. I love almost everything about Luke Skywalker in it. Besides that...eh.
Kind of where I am. The Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff is easily some of the strongest material in the entire saga, up there with ESB. There's an incredible 1 hour 40 or so minutes movie there, which is let down by the other 40-50 minutes of Resistance stuff.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Still don't get the hate for Canto Bight.

Or, well, I should clarify, I did. It felt very prequelsy at first. But there was actual character development and there was the good message of "obnoxiously rich people are bad" (which yes is somewhat undermined by being produced by one of if not the biggest media conglomerate in the world, but the fact it was there at all is a good step). And if it was cut out, a lot would be lost or confusing about later scenes.

I can understand if aesthetically it's not to people's taste, but it really is an essential part of the story.

Also Rose is a great character, haters can eat my whole ass, especially the assholes who harassed Tran on Twitter (who I hope aren't among us).