• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is The Last Jedi a good movie?

• Yes

• No

• Not mah Star Wars proceeds to let out a Chewbacca cry

Results are only viewable after voting.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
at the end of everything, i feel sad for people who didnt like the film,

because here i am living in a golden age of star wars, and those people all can think is how "star wars is dead for them"

so sad for you people.

i will keep enjoying it tho,
It feels like people really are taking good Star Wars films for granted now.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
TLJ was just a flippant mess. I'm sure a lot of people tried hard with this new trilogy, but it just wasn't a good idea to:

-Have the original characters in the new movies, but only to give them their retirement watch and kill them off without having had a satisfying return. By splitting emphasis on both the old and the new characters, it robs them both.
-Just replay the empire vs. rebels theme.

To me, Rian Johnson was handed off a suboptimal situation and made it worse. The Force Awakens was just a rehash, but it at least left intriguing questions that left plenty of room to make a good recovery. TLJ was a decent film, if the only question was whether TLJ was a decent film or not on its own, but it left the franchise in a worse state.
Yep , I agree with this too, solid post.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Like I said earlier, it puzzles me why TFA gets flack for copying A New Hope but not many people seem to call out Last Jedi for stealing from Empire and Return of the Jedi.

i think you're getting snow confused with salt, it was a salt planet, and those weren't AT-ATs, they were AT-M6s, completely different

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Except TLJ leaves barely any questions left unanswered and barely any interesting stakes beyond just the good guys vs. bad guys, with bad guys outnumbering good guys, and no clear objective for the good guys in the final act besides just "beat the bad guys......somehow....".

Does it really feel like the culmination of 8 films, leading to a grand finale in Episode IX for the Skywalker Saga? TLJ really just feels like a mediocre Episode 7, with the actual Episode 7 feeling like a bonus prequel-to-the-sequel trilogy film.

The only way to satisfyingly end the saga would be to have some massive character development and a huge cliffhanger at the end of episode IX (Rey going dark or grey, finally?), leading to a finale with a surprise Episode X.

I'm actually expecting Disney to do this. It will make them more easy money, so why wouldn't they?

This post is gold ---- agree 100%
I mean, what is Rey going to do with the Jedi Texts? What do the Jedi look like when filtered through someone who has had no formal training? That alone is an interesting question.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, this is a good point too, we need to see what Episode 9 does. I do think part of what made time kind to Empire was that Return of the Jedi cashed in on Empire's groundwork pretty solidly.

What gives me the most pause though is that the biggest praise for TLJ is generally "it defies expectations" and those expectations probably won't be there for rewatches and future generations so you're just left with what's there on screen, which I feel is very hit and miss. I have a hard time seeing a large sway in its popular opinion.

But sure, if IX can somehow really stick the landing and make magic out of building off whats there in TLJ then who knows.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Another gripe I have with TLJ is Yoda's character assassination. I get people didn't like the seriousness of the prequels and wanted the fun, goofy Yoda from Empire but they seem to forget the part where that goofy side was an act, Yoda was incredibly serious when he revealed himself. To quote him "A jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" But in 30 years he decides to use the force to burn a bunch of knowledge. Totally backwards from the established character, and don't tell me 30 years of death completely reverses his personality and beliefs from the last 900 years.
This complaint is way overblown. When was the last time you watched the Yoda scenes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZRCIjMWRLg

Yoda laughs at Luke's panic then they have a serious conversation.

ETA: You know the books weren't in the tree anymore, right? Rey stole them.

shtolky

Oct 27, 2017
Another gripe I have with TLJ is Yoda's character assassination. I get people didn't like the seriousness of the prequels and wanted the fun, goofy Yoda from Empire but they seem to forget the part where that goofy side was an act, Yoda was incredibly serious when he revealed himself. To quote him "A jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" But in 30 years he decides to use the force to burn a bunch of knowledge. Totally backwards from the established character, and don't tell me 30 years of death completely reverses his personality and beliefs from the last 900 years.

Did you not watch the end of the movie?

"Wisdom they held, but that library contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess." Yoda doesn't destroy anything, the books are with Rey and Yoda knows this. I've never heard anyone complain about that scene assassinating Yoda's character. Also, Yoda is not 100% serious with Luke in the OT even after he reveals himself ("when 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not, hm!") There is nothing wrong with Yoda being goofy for literally 2 seconds before he tells Luke he missed him. Also, the conversation they have is incredibly serious and basically is the spark Luke needs to get back in the fray. There is literally no reversal at all, it's entirely consistent with OT Yoda. Unsure how you can think that scene reverses Yoda's personality.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Have the original characters in the new movies, but only to give them their retirement watch and kill them off without having had a satisfying return. By splitting emphasis on both the old and the new characters, it robs them both.

They only killed off Luke at the end of this one and I think he got a pretty solid exit scene. If you disagree I don't think I'll be able to convince you of that fact, though.
They, uh, distinctly didn't kill Leia off at the end of the movie.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the kids will like it? I mean, the kids loved Jar Jar and the PT, not holding out for their support on this.
Eh, kids liked JarJar for the same reason they did 3po. Maybe new trilogy would be in a better state if they included a comic relief for kids in the obsessive recycling of everything they think defines starwars.

drog

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I can't think of a movie I was more hyped for than The Last Jedi, I liked TFA for what it was and thought it set up so many interesting questions to be answered in TLJ. It finally seemed like Star Wars was getting back on the right track after the putrid prequels, my favorite movie franchise was back! That being said, I absolutely hated TLJ. It's an awful movie that I will never watch again that completely killed any interest I had in the franchise. Ugh it bums me out even typing this out because I was such a huge Star Wars fan growing up, but yea TLJ is the worst.

OP
OP
Flow

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Poe disabled the dreadnought in the first ten minutes of the film by single handedly destroying all it's canons.

tumblr_p6qynk6tuY1rwyi3po3_r1_540.gif
Now this is a good post

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

That moment is perfectly in line with one of the original inspirations for the Jedi: zen buddhist monks. Zen is obsessed with the fact that codifying spiritual teachings into writings and rituals can lead people into missing the original intention of the teaching. They revere moments when zen masters have resorted to tearing up or burning their sacred scriptures in order to uncover the original intention of the text.

gdynd6ggqk1j.jpg

So when I saw that moment where Yoda burns the sacred texts, i said YES!! Because that is the essense of a Jedi to me: they are a kind of space zen monk in my original understanding of them (with a dash of samurai and knights templar, to be sure.) Yoda is burning the Jedi texts in an auspicious moment in order to inspire in Luke what the words on the page actually mean. (of course Rey actually stole the texts beforehand, but I feel like Yoda would have done that even if they were in there)...

It was the prequel moments where the Jedi acted like beauracrats or cops that really bummed me out.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yoda had goofy moments in just about every film. He was wise and stoic character when he needed to be, but not afraid to giggle or have a laugh. TLJ was entirely in character.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Kylo Ren's arc was interesting and well done, I thought. Other than that, I thought it ranged from bad to okay. I liked it more than TFA at least, because it at least tried a few new things.

Overall, I hate this new trilogy though. It feels so directionless and devoid of creativity. The galaxy feels smaller and less interesting than ever before.

I would never want George Lucas back in the director's seat, but his complete absence is notable and unfortunate. I feel like he could've brought a lot of good ideas and context/setting to the table as a producer or something.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Or he could have simply flown on the other side and destroyed the orbital auto cannons which are undefended by anti ship defenses, which would have stopped the destruction of the base and removed the threat to the fleet as well.
You realize he barely made it out of that fight alive because of the enemy troops?

Literally one of the last things said by Yoda is a self deprecating joke about his old age. Yoda may have been boring af in the prequels, but he absolutely had a playful part to his personality and the way he schooled Luke was just like it always was. And if you recall, there were no sacred texts inside the tree, Rey had them.
W7I0jUi.jpg

Yet another criticism that makes no sense if you pay attention to the film.

Billy323

Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of a movie I was more hyped for than The Last Jedi, I liked TFA for what it was and thought it set up so many interesting questions to be answered in TLJ. It finally seemed like Star Wars was getting back on the right track after the putrid prequels, my favorite movie franchise was back! That being said, I absolutely hated TLJ. It's an awful movie that I will never watch again that completely killed any interest I had in the franchise. Ugh it bums me out even typing this out because I was such a huge Star Wars fan growing up, but yea TLJ is the worst.
I pretty much agree with you. I feel you could cut a good 90 minutes from the film and cobble together something decent with what's left.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Really bad from a storytelling point and had some terrible plot holes. Maybe people just wanted more star wars stuff so they still went and gave disney money anyay which is all they probably care about. I'm not very exited for the next one thats for sure.

Reminds me a lot of FFXV actually.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That moment is perfectly in line with one of the original inspirations for the Jedi: zen buddhist monks. Zen is obsessed with the fact that codifying spiritual teachings into writings and rituals can lead people into missing the original intention of the teaching. They revere moments when zen masters have resorted to tearing up or burning their sacred scriptures in order to uncover the original intention of the text.

gdynd6ggqk1j.jpg

So when I saw that moment where Yoda burns the sacred texts, i said YES!! Because that is the essense of a Jedi to me: they are a kind of space zen monk in my original understanding of them (with a dash of samurai and knights templar, to be sure.) Yoda is burning the Jedi texts in an auspicious moment in order to inspire in Luke what the words on the page actually mean. (of course Rey actually stole the texts beforehand, but I feel like Yoda would have done that even if they were in there)...

It was the prequel moments where the Jedi acted like beauracrats or cops that really bummed me out.

But it turns out Rey stole the books to read them, which kinda flies in the face of that...

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
By now, TLJ is stuck in that weird limbo for me where I could almost love the movie because it does have some greatness in it. But it's just so almost that I am actually pretty disappointed by it, if that makes any sense? I think there's some fantastic stuff in it, some pretty dumb stuff that just "happened", and other very dumb stuff that was put in there intentionally to subvert expectations and ended up annoying me with their seemingly philosophy of putting a "gotcha!" moment over something that makes some actual sense.

Also, can't help but hate the Holdo subplot. Now don't get me wrong, I like both Poe and Holdo and their dynamic and I think that their conflict initially is very good and interesting and creates a lot of exciting tension. But the solution in the end is so incredibly hollow and stupid that it singlehandedly destroys whichever sense that subplot made in the first place by having Holdo's decisions be outright dumb. It's unnecessary and disappointing and a waste of both their character arcs.

TL;DR: Really want to love it because of its great bits, but can't quite accomplish that because of its stupid bits, which endresults in me being disappointed yet still able to enjoy it mostly, in a "let me turn a blind eye or two on this" way. Visuals and cinematography are, mostly, gorgeous though.

Dec 21, 2017
Out of curiosity, what are TLJ detractors' opinion on the works of David Lynch?

I want to be in the dimension where Revenge Of The Jedi was a thing so bad.

I'd have to see more to judge, but all i've seen was Twin Peaks and The Return. I love TP more for what it did for tv than the show itself, in retrospect. The Return felt a lot more like David Lynch doing his thing than Twin Peaks in a sense, not that there's anything wrong with that. Wasn't a huge fan of it overall, but I don't regret watching it.

Also, does Paula Dern really like wearing wigs or something?

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
By now, TLJ is stuck in that weird limbo for me where I could almost love the movie because it does have some greatness in it. But it's just so almost that I am actually pretty disappointed by it, if that makes any sense? I think there's some fantastic stuff in it, some pretty dumb stuff that just "happened", and other very dumb stuff that was put in there intentionally to subvert expectations and ended up annoying me with their seemingly philosophy of putting a "gotcha!" moment over something that makes some actual sense.

Also, can't help but hate the Holdo subplot. Now don't get me wrong, I like both Poe and Holdo and their dynamic and I think that their conflict initially is very good and interesting and creates a lot of exciting tension. But the solution in the end is so incredibly hollow and stupid that it singlehandedly destroys whichever sense that subplot made in the first place by having Holdo's decisions be outright dumb. It's unnecessary and disappointing and a waste of both their character arcs.

TL;DR: Really want to love it because of its great bits, but can't quite accomplish that because of its stupid bits, which endresults in me being disappointed yet still able to enjoy it mostly, in a "let me turn a blind eye or two on this" way. Visuals and cinematography are, mostly, gorgeous though.
I feel the the same way about Man of Steel (and TLJ too).

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Yeah, The Last Jedi did Yoda justice. It was a beautiful scene that fit his character to a T. The level some people entirely misread scenes like this to the point of stating outright falsehoods (that he was just goofy when he had quite the serious moment with Luke, that he burned the texts when between Yoda's own words and the shot of the texts on the Millennium Falcon it was made clear that didn't happen, even if he wanted Luke to think that), I almost wonder if different theaters got different cuts of the movie.

This reminds me of all the people who acted like the story was about Killing the Past...when that was what the villain took from the events, not the heroes.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair , this is happening on both sides of the argument .....yep it was critically well receieved , but for the audience it has been pretty divisive..

Its okay to love the movie, I have no issue with that...I think the reverse is proving a little harder for some..

I think there is something to be explored around age and reception too..
I loved the movie and I point out the parts that I love. I don't care if people don't like it, but they seem to be on a mission to confirm it's a bad movie in every thread on TLJ like movies aren't subjective. Like the post I quoted. I know it goes both ways but one side seems more determined to label the movie on their own personal feelings. It's fuckin weird.

On a different note, Are they're any other movies that have been very well critically received to be as disisive as this movie? I can't think of any right now. Makes me really think Rian did something special for this movie to be talked about as much as it is. This movie is what, a year old now? And these topics pop up everywhere.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
But it turns out Rey stole the books to read them, which kinda flies in the face of that...
It was the ideological point he was making that mattered. Luke was completely unaware of the truth, (gee Yoda telling Luke half truths that never happens).

Yeah, The Last Jedi did Yoda justice. It was a beautiful scene that fit his character to a T. The level some people entirely misread scenes like this to the point of stating outright falsehoods (that he was just goofy when he had quite the serious moment with Luke, that he burned the texts when between Yoda's own words and the shot of the texts on the Millennium Falcon it was made clear that didn't happen, even if he wanted Luke to think that), I almost wonder if different theaters got different cuts of the movie.

This reminds me of all the people who acted like the story was about Killing the Past...when that was what the villain took from the events, not the heroes.
That's why it's hard to take any criticisms of the film seriously. Because good lord people are so goddamn bad at critiquing the movie since they seemingly barely demonstrate a surface level understanding of the points the film was making.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
You realize he barely made it out of that fight alive because of the enemy troops?

What troops? In space? Are trying to say fighters? The point is that the attack plan made no sense as does almost none of the combat in the movie. Everyone is stupid for the sake of the script to work. The First Order could have stopped the entire Resistance upon arrival by destroying their escape ship. Instead the target the evacuated base.

Poe also goes and does a direct attack on the anti starship defenses which he takes out entirely by himself. Instead he could have attacked the undefended side of the ship (it's noted as such in the guide book), and taken out the auto cannons instead, which would have completely erased the entire threat the Resistance faced.

And again, the First Order loses a dreadnaught because it simply doesn't know how to move it's own ship and stayed in stationary spot, nor moved up any of the support ships that it had with it.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the movie and I point out the parts that I love. I don't care if people don't like it, but they seem to be on a mission to confirm it's a bad movie in every thread on TLJ like movies aren't subjective. Like the post I quoted. I know it goes both ways but one side seems more determined to label the movie on their own personal feelings. It's fuckin weird.

On a different note, Are they're any other movies that have been very well critically received to be as disisive as this movie? I can't think of any right now. Makes me really think Rian did something special for this movie to be talked about as much as it is. This movie is what, a year old now? And these topics pop up everywhere.
Not to the same, popular, degree. But I'm sure films like Elephant or Antichrist would similarly fit that audience / critic divide.

brownmagic

Oct 25, 2017
Another reason I didn't like TLJ, and new movies in general, is that Kylo Ren is a joke of a villain. He comes across as a pre-teen edge lord who has discovered Linkin Park for the first time. Darth Vader was a believable antagonist, hell, even the villain from Rogue One was a realistic villain.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What troops? In space? Are trying to say fighters? The point is that the attack plan made no sense as does almost none of the combat in the movie.
Yes, he literally barely made it out alive while doing the attack run. It was Poe's plan in the first place and the film quite literally starts with characters saying that it was a bad plan and it had terrible consequences for the film and led to his demotion and highkey the rest of the film's events.

Another reason I didn't like TLJ, and new movies in general, is that Kylo Ren is a joke of a villain. He comes across as a pre-teen edge lord who has discovered Linkin Park for the first time.
That's literally the point. He's a compelling antagonist and got more characterization than Vader did across the two films, however, but that doesn't mean we have to be afraid of him, because the characters aren't. Luke was terrified of Vader:
ofdAwg0.gif

They deliberately make a callback to this same specific type of fear initially:
vErNynL.gif

But Rey isn't Luke, she's a fighter. The second she stops being afraid of the boogeyman is the second that the film stops portraying Kylo as a boogeyman but as someone she, and thus us, fight against without fear:
6qGOjKp.gif

Last edited:

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
True, but I don't think it changes the meaning of that moment. Yoda has made Luke believe the texts are burnt in a teachable moment. Luke is made to believe that the way forward as a Jedi is not to bother about words on paper.

Would Yoda have refrained from burning the texts if they were actually in there? I doubt it. I don't think that display was actually conditional on Rey stealing them first.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Another reason I didn't like TLJ, and new movies in general, is that Kylo Ren is a joke of a villain. He comes across as a pre-teen edge lord who has discovered Linkin Park for the first time. Darth Vader was a believable antagonist, hell, even the villain from Rogue One was a realistic villain.

It worked in TFA for him to be like this. But I thought the whole point of TLJ was that he would grow out of it and become a serious menace, hence the trailer showing him smashing his mask.

But nope, he is near Hux in terms of being nonthreatening and pathetic.

True, but I don't think it changes the meaning of that moment. Yoda has made Luke believe the texts are burnt in a teachable moment. Luke is made to believe that the way forward as a Jedi is not to bother about words on paper.

Would Yoda have refrained from burning the texts if they were actually in there? I doubt it. I don't think that display was actually conditional on Rey stealing them first.

We'll see. If IX opens and the ghosts of Luke and Yoda tell Rey to keep reading the Jedi texts for some more patented Abrams Mystery Box bullshit, I'll laugh out loud...

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
ETA: You know the books weren't in the tree anymore, right? Rey stole them.

Fair enough, I haven't watched the movie since release so I really just remember Yoda burning the tree with the books and mentioning that they weren't page-turners, I didn't think he knew Rey had taken the books, and I'm still not sure that was made clear in the scene. Maybe that's what he meant by all the knowledge in those books is already within her? But I took that as Rey already had a near total understanding of what jedi are, which is kinda strange considering her willingness to explore the dark side.

So my biggest gripes might have to go to the goofy or stupid stuff like Maaz Canada's phone call fight scene or Finn and Rose parking illegally on the beach for no reason.

And to not come across as just another asshole that hated everything about the movie, I did enjoy Rose's sister's moment at the beginning and Chewie eating the porg.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, he literally barely made it out alive while doing the attack run. It was Poe's plan in the first place and the film quite literally starts with characters saying that it was a bad plan and it had terrible consequences for the film and led to his demotion and highkey the rest of the film's events.

That is unrelated to the poorly thought out scenario. Stuff just happens because they need it for later story elements, its one of the issue with the movie. So many bad choices and stupid plot elements that just seem to exist to explain why the plot goes the way it does later. Its as if the movie never thinks of the here and now

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
By now, TLJ is stuck in that weird limbo for me where I could almost love the movie because it does have some greatness in it. But it's just so almost that I am actually pretty disappointed by it, if that makes any sense?

its like finding a rock in your spaghetti, and the fact that the spaghetti looks so good make's the rock's presence even more painful

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We'll see. If IX opens and the ghosts of Luke and Yoda tell Rey to keep reading the Jedi texts for some more patented Abrams Mystery Box bullshit, I'll laugh out loud...
Haha yeah... well on that point, I actually don't think JJ treated the Jedi like spiritual monks in TFA. I think his vision of the Jedi was more like Harry Potter or X-Men... gifted children awakening to magic powers. He could easily treat the Jedi texts as some hocus pocus macguffin to learn new powers or whatever.

I feel Rian Johnson was more interested in reconstituting the original flavor of The Force/Jedi as post-1960s zennist spirituality, rather than "magic" per se.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That is unrelated to the poorly thought out scenario.
Except it's not a poorly thought out scenario. The resistance coming up with a ridiculously risky plan that had huge losses despite them technically "winning." That's absolutely the spirit of SW and the first thing that the film critiques as an aspect of SW. You're essentially asking for characters in a space fantasy film to react to things as realistically as humanly possible and that's never how Sw has ever worked in anyway shape or form from the beginning. Scenarios in SW always require some form of suspension of disbelief because the overall message is hella important right down to the first 15 minutes of A New Hope where for literally no plausible reason they didn't shoot down the escape pod, you know....that thing that led to the total destruction of the empire over the course of 3 movies.

Sgtpepper89

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I dont even remember much of it and that fact alone speaks for itself in how I enjoyed it. I did enjoy Rogue one much more.

I got the same feeling as when I watched the 2ond to last Harry Potter movie, its a mediocre movie with some decent parts, too long, filled with fanservice/nostalgia and close ups of the bird so Disney can sell plastic shit. All in all just a transport to build up for episode 9 to go all in and hopefully be great.

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Except it's not a poorly thought out scenario. The resistance coming up with a ridiculously risky plan that had huge losses despite them technically "winning." That's absolutely the spirit of SW and the first thing that the film critiques as an aspect of SW.

I kind of agree with this, but every time we've seen the Rebellion go all out with crazy attacks it was do or die, they were fighting for their existence and too free the galaxy from a one-of-a-kind weapon. Poe makes it seem like that dreadnought is one of several, so it didn't make sense to lose 95% of your fleet taking out one ship when there are several backups, and a much larger ship than those. The sacrifice against Snooky's flagship made a lot more sense. The battle on Hoth was similar but that was to buy them time to escape and save the Rebellion, Poe's plan wasn't as necessary as the Mon Cal cruiser was already prepped for hyperspace.

The movie is just full of people making dumb decisions.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I came into Star Wars in 1997 when the Original Trilogy Special Edition's were re-released into Cinemas. I was 13 and it was magical.

I've been a huge fan of the films and the wider world of Star Wars ever since. I've gone back to watch the original theatrical cuts, digging up old VHS and Laserdisk releases, etc. Most of my favourite videogames are old LucasArts Star Wars games like Tie-Fighter, Dark Forces, etc.

The Last Jedi is a nearly perfect Star Wars film to me. It overtook Empire on first viewing and still holds on to that top spot. It is exactly what I wanted out of a modern take on a universe I love so much.

I'm sad that not everyone enjoyed it, especially because for some it seems to go beyond lack of enjoyment and towards some more visceral dislike. At the same time I can't help how other people feel, so I'll just continue to enjoy my favourite Star Wars film, and hope that the next one is even half as good.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Kylo Ren's arc was interesting and well done, I thought. Other than that, I thought it ranged from bad to okay. I liked it more than TFA at least, because it at least tried a few new things.

Overall, I hate this new trilogy though. It feels so directionless and devoid of creativity. The galaxy feels smaller and less interesting than ever before.

I would never want George Lucas back in the director's seat, but his complete absence is notable and unfortunate. I feel like he could've brought a lot of good ideas and context/setting to the table as a producer or something.
That's a natural side-effect of getting older. The scope of TLJ is larger than the scope of ANH, but this isn't your first trip into space. Or your second. Or your tenth...

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, I haven't watched the movie since release so I really just remember Yoda burning the tree with the books and mentioning that they weren't page-turners, I didn't think he knew Rey had taken the books, and I'm still not sure that was made clear in the scene. Maybe that's what he meant by all the knowledge in those books is already within her? But I took that as Rey already had a near total understanding of what jedi are, which is kinda strange considering her willingness to explore the dark side.

So my biggest gripes might have to go to the goofy or stupid stuff like Maaz Canada's phone call fight scene or Finn and Rose parking illegally on the beach for no reason.

And to not come across as just another asshole that hated everything about the movie, I did enjoy Rose's sister's moment at the beginning and Chewie eating the porg.
It's understandable because it's part of the muddled messaging of the movie. I posted about this earlier but Yoda's scene contributes to the "Destroy the past" narrative that some people took from it, even though Kylo is supposed to be in the wrong. You'd have no idea that Yoda was just being cheeky if you missed the 2 seconds the books were on screen at the end. I remember the first time I saw it asked the person I was with if that was the Jedi books and he wasn't sure.