• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Schlep

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
No wireless charging at that price point is absurd

I used to love the wireless charging on my old Edge S7. With my 6, the few times I have it plugged into my car for Android Auto (literally 10-20 minutes a day on average) means I only have to charge it once every other day. The Dash charger has it ready within 30-45 minutes. Wireless just doesn't seem useful anymore. Maybe once Google (and carmarkers) update Android Auto to work wirelessly it'll be worth something.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
I used to love the wireless charging on my old Edge S7. With my 6, the few times I have it plugged into my car for Android Auto (literally 10-20 minutes a day on average) means I only have to charge it once every other day. The Dash charger has it ready within 30-45 minutes. Wireless just doesn't seem useful anymore. Maybe once Google (and carmarkers) update Android Auto to work wirelessly it'll be worth something.
For me, I leave my phone on the wireless charger on my nightstand every night. Super convenient, less unsightly, and less of a hassle than fishing out a cable.

I also have one on my desk.

OP
OP
Schlep

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
For me, I leave my phone on the wireless charger on my nightstand every night. Super convenient, less unsightly, and less of a hassle than fishing out a cable.

Makes sense. I will say that I used to do the same, and I've seen more than a few places saying leaving your phone on the charger overnight kills your battery faster. For me, I just juice the phone whenever I have a random 30 minutes (like getting ready to go out).

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's a tired comment but it's insane to me how much people are spending on smart phones. I just got a umidigi s3 pro for 280 bucks and I'm not seeing anything particularly more impressive from this phone than my own, yet there's a 500 dollar price difference.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The screen is ok I guess, the ram is nice. I dunno, for be it's still a lot for a phone. I'll stick to a Xiaomi/poco device

OP
OP
Schlep

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
vulva the Umidigi is a great value. That said, the screen resolution is lower, there's a notch, it doesn't charge as fast, no autofocus with video, no in-screen fingerprint sensor, the sound isn't great, etc.

What separates the mid-range from flagships is getting smaller every year. The Umidigi is light years ahead of where the early OnePlus devices were, but the 7 Pro is competing in a different segment.

Oct 25, 2017
"The OnePlus 7 Pro has faster Dash Warp Charging than the OnePlus 6T and prior, peaking at around 30W (5V, 6A) up from 20W (5V 4A) on the old Dash Charge. It is also able to pull more via the Power Delivery spec, peaking at ~5V 3A in my testing (up from 5V 1.5A on the OnePlus 6/6T)."

finally!

always been annoying that only OP propriety chargers can provide any sort of 'fast charging'.

now I can use my laptop charger and USB-pd with the phone without agonizing slow charging.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
vulva the Umidigi is a great value. That said, the screen resolution is lower, there's a notch, it doesn't charge as fast, no autofocus with video, no in-screen fingerprint sensor, the sound isn't great, etc.

What separates the mid-range from flagships is getting smaller every year. The Umidigi is light years ahead of where the early OnePlus devices were, but the 7 Pro is competing in a different segment.
I think part of it also personal preferences. For me the biggest thing is the battery in the S3 Pro, it's nice having a headphone jack, having an option for an sd card is really nice, dual sims are also a great option since I travel a lot (OP7Pro might have the option but I didn't see it mentioned in the breakdown). Like this isn't even a case of trying to justify a lower cost but rather just things I personally would want or need. Also I don't really mean to disparage the OP7Pro itself, just the pricepoint is really jarring for me. Especially since they established themselves as a company that was going to provide low cost and high quality early on.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
That looks excellent. Thing is, I'm very happy with my OP3T and have no legit reason to spend a lot of money on a new phone.

As appealing as a 1440p OLED 90Hz screen is, I really didn't like the curved displays from the phones I handled with it. Might just need some getting used to but I'd rather just want some more space to grip my phone.

Battery life is another point. I'm pretty damn amazed at how efficient my OP3T seems to be in that regard. Though the option to switch to 60Hz should alleviate a lot of potential issues here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Any news if the 7 has the night camera that the Pixels have had previously?

Damn, MrMobile review bummed me out. The camera seems solid but not exceptional and the night stuff is lacking, as is the need to manually change settings to get good pics.

Last edited:

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Upset the 7 isn't coming to US, wonder if that will change.

Also hoping T-mobile will announce trade in deals like with the 3a. They already made a 7 pro page, but no deals yet.

OP
OP
Schlep

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
I think part of it also personal preferences. For me the biggest thing is the battery in the S3 Pro, it's nice having a headphone jack, having an option for an sd card is really nice, dual sims are also a great option since I travel a lot (OP7Pro might have the option but I didn't see it mentioned in the breakdown). Like this isn't even a case of trying to justify a lower cost but rather just things I personally would want or need. Also I don't really mean to disparage the OP7Pro itself, just the pricepoint is really jarring for me. Especially since they established themselves as a company that was going to provide low cost and high quality early on.

Definitely personal preferences. And yeah, it is a bit jarring if you're used to OnePlus as a low cost/high quality company. That said, the low cost segment is now saturated with options and it would be difficult if not impossible for them to thrive there. Being seen as better than Samsung/Apple for $100-500 less, though, is a huge opportunity.

It is disappointing that they're not bringing the base OnePlus 7 to the US for the midrange buyer, however.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The price difference for Canada is pretty bad, $669 USD to CAD should be $900 but on the Canadian website it's beginning at $999.

Oct 25, 2017
does it have a pre-installed screen protector? OP usually has that, but don't see it on the unboxing videos.

edit: nvm. flossy mention it got it.

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
I've only had my OnePlus 6 for a year now, but I'll be sticking with them whenever I find myself in need of an upgrade.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If they end up patching in a variable refresh rate option, I wonder how much that will help with battery life. That seems to be the main negative in most reviews.

does it have a pre-installed screen protector? OP usually has that, but don't see it on the unboxing videos.
edit: nvm. flossy mention it got it.
oui

7XT7av6.png

Oct 25, 2017
All in on this, debating getting it through T-Mobile or just buying it out right, the trade in deal is trash though, my Oneplus 6 goes for more on eBay then what they are offering.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Man, my month old 6T looks slow compared to this lol. I still won't be an early adopter of that sliding cam tech. The inscreen sensor is reliable 80-90 percent so I occasionally use the front cam to unlock my phone. The fact that when you drop it, it auto returns inside is smart.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
700 for a OnePlus phone, ouch. The camera still behind the competition.

Good option for those that dont care about camera much, but the battery life needs improvement.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
The Issue I have with recent OnePlus is that after one month Samsung Flagship phones drops down to the same price which is an incredible value. So it's better to wait a month and get an s10 than this

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, €250 is max price I'm ready to pay for my next Android phone :)

KINGofCRA5H

Oct 25, 2017
Napa, CA
$190 for my OnePlus5? Holy shit. Sign me the fuck up. I was on the fence about getting a Pro but getting almost 200 bucks off for my old phone is a crazy good deal to me

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Very impressive specs for the price but too big for my tastes. Don't love the blue back. MKBHD says battery is pretty average.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Well this is weird.

And the fact that T-Mobile has exclusivity with the pro makes it even worse. But I guess you can buy it outright through One plus directly, no?
You can, in three days.

I'm getting a nebula blue 12GB one. I much would've preferred purple, but this is fine, I can get a purple dbranded case.

The Issue I have with recent OnePlus is that after one month Samsung Flagship phones drops down to the same price which is an incredible value. So it's better to wait a month and get an s10 than this
I mean sure, if you like bloatware and bixby button being worthless.

Last edited: