• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Hey, at least with the pop up camera you don't have to worry about the Chinese government spying on you when you rub one out.

Oct 25, 2017
Are the T-Mobile models different from the unlocked models in terms of bloat, branding, and updates, or is it the same?

Yep. Different updates. Can flash the global rom though. Requires a bit of a process for the 6t but wasn't hard.

Makes more sense to just get the unlocked unless they offer a stellar trade in bonus.

No tax too from oneplus store online here!

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
The Oneplus 7 (normal one) looks amazing as well. The same looks as the 6t, but with all the internals of the 7pro.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
How is Tmobile in general, I've been using straight talk but my phone broke, and while I could buy the phone outright and stay with them, I think i should just save the money and switch to Tmobile for this, I had an s7 edge so not like my phone was new, I just want a phone that will last me another 2 - 3 years.

I've been happy with them but it very much depends where you live. I'm in the middle of a big city whereas my mom who is rural had to switch to Verizon.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm do any reviews mention if it supports mirrorlink? Tempted to upgrade my 3T but kinda thinking the 6 with the headphone jack might be best bet.

ps3ud0 8)

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the deal with the regular 7?

Does it have any of the perks of the Pro, like the 90hz screen?
It has basically the same internals as the Pro - including the UFS storage - plus the improved in-screen fingerprint sensor, stereo speakers, and main camera sensor, but it's missing the 90hz display, telephoto and ultrawide camera lenses, and obviously the pop up camera.

It is about £150 cheaper though. Plus, it's smaller, which would definitely be a perk for some people--myself included.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One Plus 7:
157.7×74.8×8.2 mm

One Plus 7 Pro:
162.6×75.9×8.8mm

So the regular OP7 is not exactly a small phone. I'd love to see them do some sort of 'lite' version of the phone, with decent specs combined with a size a regular person can carry in pocket.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
How? Every single review mentions it. Unless you mean articles talking about how amazing it is in which case it's nothing special.

Yea I mean how its just nothing special. It doesn't sound so bad. But I don't think it's anything that will blow anyone away. I'm just so impressed by the capabilities and flexibility of the Huawei P30 pro. It'll take something special to topple that phone for camera superiority. But I'll looking and waiting to see what everyone releases to compete.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
If your design choices warrants a mechanical pop-up camera, it's the wrong call.

They're just a placeholder until the inevitable under-screen front camera hits phone design which is already being worked on, just like in screen fingerprint reader came about the last couple years. I think it's better than the notch or hole punch of s10 although it's a close call, simply because of the possibility of reliability issues or structural weakness, but op7 pro did very well in the jerry rig bend test so ya. i also prioritize screen over anything else on a phone frankly, so that's me.

Supposedly good for 300k uses and I never use selfie cam anyway, yeah, I think it's fine. I might hit 5 times it gets popped up if I keep the phone 2 years. and the first 4 will be just to ooh and ahh at it.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The mechanical popup is dumb but it is good for a lot of people who never use the front facing camera (like me). That said, it's funny that some manufacturers said headphone jack removal allowed for more internal battery but are willing to use internal space for the camera and entire popup mechanism.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
so i doubt i will get any answer here or if anybody knows BUT, my thing is:

As the first (and maybe only, as it's a waste of $) flagship phone I'm buying day One, I want this ASAP. If I can get it Friday at the Tmobile store, yes that would be better than waiting two days for shipping from the website.

BUT I heard the Tmo version is locked. Somebody said you Tmo said you must wait 40 days before unlock.

If true that isn't bad. And I'm currently on a mint mobile fling for 3 months (got 3 months for 20 bucks) which is a TMO MVNO. I wonder does that count as service time towards Tmo unlocking?? Can I even buy from Tmo without first getting Tmo service? etc etc.

All that said as I typed this I remember the website supposedly doesnt charge sales tax and the store will, so, regardless, Im probably going unlocked website version anyway.

Oh also going with the 12/256 version, May as well go all out for a little more, and I could actually see 12GB helping with the speed longevity. This is such an extravagant purchase by my standards I want it to last at least two years (but I think I say that every time I buy a phone and I always get the hankering for a new one before that)

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The Issue I have with recent OnePlus is that after one month Samsung Flagship phones drops down to the same price which is an incredible value. So it's better to wait a month and get an s10 than this

They do and they dont. I want the biggest screen possible, as such I would need the S10+. Can you point me to one available new unlocked from reputable seller for 750 and even less? I already know the answer.

The deals you typically get are heavily tied to overpriced carrier activations and bill credits etc. So you end up paying one way or another.

I typically do buy the Samsung flagship for <500 via a deal posted on slickdeals, but it's a year late. And even that seems to be getting harder to pull off over the years.

I would say from a One Plus perspective what they do is a lower initial price but if you notice there is never much in the way of sales, the phones seem to be discontinued very quickly on introduction of the next model, etc. All that is a sneaky way of raising the average selling price. EG pulling numbers out my butt:

Samsung flagship, launches at 1000, sees various carrier discounts and eventually over the months just regular discounts, after the next Samsung flagship releases, it sells for even less. Average price of all sold: $790

One plus: releases phone at 750, but hardly ever any sales or discounts. Average sold price, 730

The Samsung is still higher but the difference is much less than the difference in initial list price.

That said I think there's a lot to be said for the more hassle free one plus model too. No jumping through hoops chasing discounts or waiting for a sale, it's available all the time unlocked at a good price.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
so i doubt i will get any answer here or if anybody knows BUT, my thing is:

As the first (and maybe only, as it's a waste of $) flagship phone I'm buying day One, I want this ASAP. If I can get it Friday at the Tmobile store, yes that would be better than waiting two days for shipping from the website.
Buying the Tmobile version makes no sense IMO. You're paying extra sales tax for a locked version of the phone with a (potentially) more irregular update schedule. And no, you can't activate it on an MVNO.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
$190 for my OnePlus5? Holy shit. Sign me the fuck up. I was on the fence about getting a Pro but getting almost 200 bucks off for my old phone is a crazy good deal to me

My unlocked s8+ model is only fetching ~250 on Swappa, I checked. Lower than I expected :(

Very impressive specs for the price but too big for my tastes. Don't love the blue back. MKBHD says battery is pretty average.

MKBHD is the only one who said that, and he uses his phone too much. Every other reviewer or objective test I noticed said battery life is excellent. I never have a problem with batt life anyway though. But it's good to know. 4000 mah is in line with other flagships.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
So just out of curiosity I was looking at the trade-in option for the 7 pro from my 5t, and it's basically saying I'd get £80 off for it. Is it just me or is that basically pittance? Even if I had the best 6 I could trade in the value is only £130.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So just out of curiosity I was looking at the trade-in option for the 7 pro from my 5t, and it's basically saying I'd get £80 off for it. Is it just me or is that basically pittance? Even if I had the best 6 I could trade in the value is only £130.
Anything less than the 6 seems pointless to trade in. If/when I can get my 7, I will keep my old 3T as a backup, since it's still a great phone.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I ordered the 7 Pro 12/256 in Nebula Blue variant the minute it went live.
Should receive it next week according to the confirmation I got.

I will still keep my now 5-years old OnePlus One as backup because I can still have some use for it.
(Also for my save files in some games that don't support transfer)

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
My oneplus 3 is dying so i have to buy another phone.

How much better a oneplus 7 is compared with a 6t??

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
My oneplus 3 is dying so i have to buy another phone.

How much better a oneplus 7 is compared with a 6t??
The design's basically the same, but the processor, storage speed, fingerprint sensor, camera and speakers have all received substantial upgrades.

I'd probably either get a 7 or try to find a base 6 tbh--the 6T's kinda awkwardly in the middle, with none of the upgrades of the 7, nor the advantages - an actual headphone jack, and a decent rear fingerprint sensor, basically - of the 6.

The improved in-screen fingerprint sensor and stereo speakers are probably the 7's biggest selling points over the 6T for me. I still really miss having stereo speakers.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
My 5T is still going mostly strong (the charging port sometimes has trouble getting dash charging) . So for now I won't get a new one.
I'd live for OP to release a phone with a headphone jack again, but not gonna hold my breath.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what happened to them being affordable wtf

The same thing that happens with all these entry-level phone brands. They start off growing a devout userbase who rightfully at the time point out how they're shaking the market up a bit and not fleecing buyers, then once they get a few phones out they slowly evolve into just another phone provider. Because at the end of the day no company once it starts to expand can prevent the lure towards increasing those margins and homogenizing with the herd.

I mean, the greatest writing on the wall was all the noise OnePlus made about the headphone jack, then now that they are "just another mainstream phone brand", they decided fuck it, follow the pack and because we have a loyal fanbase they'll eat it up regardless. Now, OnePlus aren't Apple, no one is Apple, but the evolution of the new mobile hardware challenger is as easy to plot out as it could be.

Start different, grow a devout following, then slowly merge with the herd. Whether it's making all phones the size of a small laptop, doing the notch, removing the headphone jack and finally making phones cost a stupid amount of money, they all end up doing it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So this is officially launched 21st in the UK right? As in, will it appear as my 02 upgrade then?

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I watched 4 reviews, only the Verge review was "old man too jaded for another phone review", the other 3 are very positive about the hardware upgrade and overall package.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
Is there really a need for 12GBs of RAM? I'm tempted to get that one cause it's only $50 more but the 8GB/256 just seems more practical.

Watching the reviews it looks like some reviewers got the headphones and car chargers in their packages and others didn't. Is that exclusive to review units or one of the RAM/storage combo?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is there really a need for 12GBs of RAM? I'm tempted to get that one cause it's only $50 more but the 8GB/256 just seems more practical.

Watching the reviews it looks like some reviewers got the headphones and car chargers in their packages and others didn't. Is that exclusive to review units or one of the RAM/storage combo?
The oneplus stuff tends to do it to future proof more. 12 Sounds like too much now but in a year or two, it will seem like a good amount to deal with day to day stuff. Sure the 8 is still probably fine for ages as well.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
OnePlus phones are the best on the market. I'll never buy a stock Android Google phone again after my Nexus 5 and 6P both got stuck in a boot loop cycle.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
The oneplus stuff tends to do it to future proof more. 12 Sounds like too much now but in a year or two, it will seem like a good amount to deal with day to day stuff. Sure the 8 is still probably fine for ages as well.

Isn't it a bit of an issue to have all that unused RAM draining battery? I have 4gb and most I've used it 60%, but I don't use any intensive apps.
-edit guess it doesn't have anymore impact on battery after quick research

Not seeing any tmobile deals so far, and they are only selling the $699 version.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I've been playing around with this at work. Just a couple of things for those of you considering it. It's huge and heavy plus you slap a cover and a screen protector on there and it obviously makes it more so. No water resistance and the camera is not that great but for that price point I'd recommend it over just about any other Android unless camera quality is the most important thing to you like it is to to me.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing around with this at work. Just a couple of things for those of you considering it. It's huge and heavy plus you slap a cover and a screen protector on there and it obviously makes it more so. No water resistance and the camera is not that great but for that price point I'd recommend it over just about any other Android unless camera quality is the most important thing to you like it is to to me.
Do you have any other phone on you so you can compare sizes and share screens with us?

Last edited:

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
The weight is part of the appeal for me. I want my phone to have some kind of heft to it. I don't plan on putting a cover on it though and it comes with a screen protector.

OP
OP
Schlep

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017

I have 8 on my OnePlus 6 and it sits pretty regularly at 40-55% utilization; Not sure I've ever seen it higher than that. If you're playing tons of demanding games then maybe, but still not likely?

I wouldn't go for 12 at this point. It's overkill. Maybe a slight caveat if you intend to keep the phone for 2+ years.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
My 5T is still going mostly strong (the charging port sometimes has trouble getting dash charging) . So for now I won't get a new one.
I have this same dash charging issue with my 5T, incidentally. Really gotta jiggle that cable to get it to kick in sometimes.
I have to imagine this is a systemic issue with the phone. But yeah, otherwise I have no complaints with its performance.

Oct 26, 2017
I have this same dash charging issue with my 5T, incidentally. Really gotta jiggle that cable to get it to kick in sometimes.
I have to imagine this is a systemic issue with the phone. But yeah, otherwise I have no complaints with its performance.
Clean the port with a toothpick. I had the same problem. There's impacted lint hiding in there.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
How's the p30 pro with video? It's a deal breaker for me after watching a whole bunch of reviews
I honestly think some reviews are hit pieces (but enough of my tin foil hat conspiracy theories). It is very stable @ 1080p and and the video quality at night is superb 2nd to none. @4k it's not nearly as good and it shoots @ 30fps. No 60 to available @4k

I forgot to mention I just got an update that adds dual view video. Basically it employs 2 cameras to record video half of the video is recorded using the main and the other half is recorded using the telephoto zoom camera you can choose between 2, 3 or 5x zoom.

Last edited: