• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So my first impressions of Android are awful to be honest, for some reason I can't download apps from the Google store anymore, I have tried every single "fix" , clear cache, force stop, you name it and cannot download apps, I still can't wrap my head around how cumbersome and bad are he gestures on this OS, I do have to say that this phone it's incredible, truly. I'll keep trying but man my first impression with Android is not what I expected.

That's exactly how I feel whenever I touch an iPhone, I think it's all about getting used to things. Not sure about not being able to download apps though.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
So my first impressions of Android are awful to be honest, for some reason I can't download apps from the Google store anymore, I have tried every single "fix" , clear cache, force stop, you name it and cannot download apps, I still can't wrap my head around how cumbersome and bad are he gestures on this OS, I do have to say that this phone it's incredible, truly. I'll keep trying but man my first impression with Android is not what I expected.
Hmm. Something is definitely wrong somewhere. You should go to the gesture control and change it to full gesture. That one feels most like an iphone gesture control. As for the other issues, I would suggest you meet someone who has used Android before to help you set it up.

madmook

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Damn whoever thought to use a curved screen, it looks like it's bulging out at me. Oh well, guess I'll just have to get used to it because I like the rest of the phone.

The speakers are deafening
What Dolby Atmos setting are you using? I think the movie setting is best. I hope they add some more presets or let us customize it in the future.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It probably sounds crazy but I'm considering getting the OP7 and keeping that and an iPhone X in my pocket all the time

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Why?

Mediocre camera and good camera?
OP7 for having the better hardware particularly being a much bigger truly bezel-less phone with a better quality 90 hz display and I kind of miss Android/Oxygen, while I need an iPhone still for my Watch, accessing iCloud files, and more.

I'm not sure if even next year's iPhone will have eliminated the notch. I'm fine paying more for iPhones if they feel like they're cutting edge like the X was, and they don't anymore.

Last edited:

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017

I experienced this exact same bug and ended up having to do a factory reset to fix it. Fortunately, it was at the very beginning of my time with the OnePlus 7 Pro and I didn't have to redo a lot of stuff.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing there seems to be no tax on this in Canada, that makes the $999 price tag seem a lot better. An iPhone XS Max with the same storage would cost $1953, which is at least what I'd be paying for an iPhone XI this year, and that's before Apple Care and potential Trump tariffs.

At half the price of an iPhone and being the superior phone to the upcoming XI, this is super tempting.

I have a Sony a7iii so the camera doesn't really matter to me.

It also seems like it will be a long lasting phone. I bought the OnePlus 5 two years ago before buying the iPhone X months later because the design was so much better. With this there's not much to improve.

Last edited:

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing there seems to be no tax on this in Canada, that makes the $999 price tag seem a lot better. An iPhone XS Max with the same storage would cost $1953, which is at least what I'd be paying for an iPhone XI this year, and that's before Apple Care and potential Trump tariffs.

At half the price of an iPhone and being the superior phone to the upcoming XI, this is super tempting.

I have a Sony a7iii so the camera doesn't really matter to me.

It also seems like it will be a long lasting phone. I bought the OnePlus 5 two years ago before buying the iPhone X months later because the design was so much better. With this there's not much to improve.
There is tax applied in canada, just checked.

Oct 30, 2017
i'm not much for cameras, but i thought this was a good comparison i could follow. does seem like the samsung has a overall better camera

weird thing is camera isn't about the hardware, just the algorithms, so op could fix it in updates, but then again i wouldn't hold my breath.

the thing is that making the algorithms good is harder than making the hardware good.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
So the optical zoom is only 2.2x instead of the advertised 3x.

Not shocking from OnePlus

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone with the phone have an opinion on nebula blue vs Grey/black? I'd rather get the black at the moment.

OP
OP
Schlep

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone been able to figure out the volume on phone calls? I keep clicking down on the volume, but I'm pretty sure my next door neighbor can still hear the person I'm talking to.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Man I love this phone so much. I will never be able to use another phone with notches or punch holes again. Everything looks so sharp on this thing.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Man I love this phone so much. I will never be able to use another phone with notches or punch holes again. Everything looks so sharp on this thing.
I wonder why Samsung didn't go with a screen like this? I mean in terms of how almost bezeless it is. Not the punch hole vs slider but the size of d bezels itself. It has less bezel at the top and bottom compared to the s10 series.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why Samsung didn't go with a screen like this? I mean in terms of how almost bezeless it is. Not the punch hole vs slider but the size of d bezels itself. It has less bezel at the top and bottom compared to the s10 series.
No idea. Initially I was afraid that with the screen so far out to the edge that it might register inadvertent palm touches as you hold the phone, but after using it for the past few days, I haven't had a single one of those so my fear has been alleviated.

Oct 25, 2017
No idea. Initially I was afraid that with the screen so far out to the edge that it might register inadvertent palm touches as you hold the phone, but after using it for the past few days, I haven't had a single one of those so my fear has been alleviated.

They were smart and have wider curves on this so it alleviates most of the issues I had with the S8. This is the best phone I have ever used and I don't see how I can go back to others.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
That's exactly how I feel whenever I touch an iPhone, I think it's all about getting used to things. Not sure about not being able to download apps though.

yup, that's how i feel with my ipad as an android lifer. just seems terrible software. no pull down shade...no universal back...icons that you cant remove...you have to go to an icon for basic settings like bluetooth and screen brightness? so backwards. however the physical quality of the device is unrivaled at the price (just dont like only 2GB RAm but ok)

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Has anyone been able to figure out the volume on phone calls? I keep clicking down on the volume, but I'm pretty sure my next door neighbor can still hear the person I'm talking to.

Must be a bug cus I had something like that. Kept pressing volume down and it only goes down to like 1/3 which is still too loud. The person had me on speaker though if that had anything to do with it.

Other than that like the other replies absolutely loving the phone. The display is so amazing. One of the many reviews I read mentioned it having like an insane level of RGB coverage way better than the s10 for example. Maybe that's why it looks soooo good.

It's weird but I kind of want my phone to be able to do as many things that my desktop PC can, as possible. To that end, the 12GB of RAM, and SD 855, and ginormous screen, are great. I definitely feel it's much more a desktop replacement than my previous S8+.

It's great having Amazon Prime for things like cases, since you dont have to pay like 10 shipping on a $10 case. So far I got some generic kickstand case for 8 bucks which seems pretty decent and to provide better protection than the included gel case, and also just in general I tend to like kickstand cases. I'll probably pick up the Spigen case when it comes out since everybody here seems to like Spigen and it's like ten bucks.

Ok having said that I'm gonna engage OCD mode, the ONE thing that bugs me a little is on jerryrigs everything video teardown, he mentioned one standoff being made out of a "brittle alloy" and he knew that because he said he shattered it to pieces at the one plus 7 live even teardown he apparently did. Then of course he quickly moved on to the next thing in the video. So that kind of bugged me like oh, did they skimp on the screws? LOL. But really I have no idea if the standoff is unusually low quality vs other phones (Samsung may have the same), or if it matters even if it was. But I was thinking, if you dropped your phone and internal standoff shattered, that wouldn't be good...

But that's just being OCD and 99.99999999% it'll never matter, if it ever could. I aint worried about it.

oh and also jerry confirmed every opening has a gasket. So that doesn't exactly confirm an IP rating but, certainly seems positive.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017

Same here, the screen is so beautiful that I just really love looking at it. I've even purposely been laying down on my bed using the phone instead of sitting on my desktop because it's so new and pretty.

I will admit though that the curve screen took some getting use to. I never owned a curve screen phone before and only ever held one for a pretty short time. So when I got this I kind of hated curve screen at first mainly because of the glares. Well I've gotten use to it and like how it makes the phone feel even more bezeless because of the thin sides.

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
Do you guys use the phone with a case?
I'd ordered two, both very cheap, costing less than 10 € each, one of them is the Ringke Fusion-X wich I read great things.
But the true is that I'm doubtful since for the oneplus 5t I had the karbon which I was very happy.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably pick up the Spigen case when it comes out since everybody here seems to like Spigen and it's like ten bucks.

Hopefully they designed them with a little more thought the the recent ones they did for the P30 Pro.

They clearly based the design of those on design renders and didn't have the finished product. The fit on the back wasn't good and for the transparent cases, a horrible 'oil' effect appeared. Not what I'd expect from Spigen.

Anyway, I'm in love with my 7 Pro so far, hopefully the official fabric case I've ordered will arrive soon.

Oct 25, 2017
I never use my phone more than 5 hrs a day, my OnePlus 6 used to drain I'm standby terribly, could never go a day without it being close to dead. I'm sitting at 1 day 12 hrs right now with 5 percent left after 6 hrs of screen on time, it's the best phone I've ever had regarding battery life. I can see those that use their phones more than 8 hrs a day having issue though.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah battery hasn't been an issue for me. Comparable to my note 9.

Warp charge at my desk if I need a quick top off before I head home when I go get a coffee.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I pop it in warp charge for 20 minutes in the morning and I'm good.

Unless I'm playing games for hours, there has been no need to charge it more often or longer than that so far.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Are you happy with that colour? I'd rather get grey/black I think after hoping I went black with my iPhone but blue seems to more popular.
I'm happyish with the color. Don't get me wrong, the mirror is shiny and beautiful, but it's the most fingerprint-magnet prone device I've had since my 60GB PS3. The blue looks damn beautiful. However, I'm just gonna slap a skin on the back to protect it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
There's several display modes, and then an Advanced mode where you can set it to whatever you like.
But no adaptive white balance mode to whatever the current lighting is? I thought one was added to the OnePlus 5.

Looks like the only phone that isn't tradeable and the only one I would trade is the OnePlus X, they really wanted to completely forget about that phone.

madmook

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
But no adaptive white balance mode to whatever the current lighting is? I thought one was added to the OnePlus 5.
Nope, not seeing any sort of 'adaptive' mode that will change automatically according to ambient lighting conditions.

After a week or so of use, I'm glad to see that the curved edges aren't so distracting as they were when I first started using it.

Coming from a 1+6T, I am finding the better fingerprint sensor to be my most appreciated feature of the 7 Pro. I loved just about everything the 6T did, but my batting average with the fingerprint sensor was like 70-80%.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Coming from a 1+6T, I am finding the better fingerprint sensor to be my most appreciated feature of the 7 Pro. I loved just about everything the 6T did, but my batting average with the fingerprint sensor was like 70-80%.
Yeah, it's really impressively fast in all the videos I've seen.

I think I'm going to go for this. I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem with a Watch and love my X, but an iPhone XS Max in Canada is minimum $1999 with tax and Apple Care, and then the 2020 iPhone next year with potentially all screen could easily be more expensive. $2236 for one with the base 256 GB storage space of the OP7. I think I'd rather spend $1000 now for a really futuristic looking phone than waiting more than a year to pay $2000+ for that kind of design from Apple, if that even happens.

I just hope the ghost touch isn't a hardware issue.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018

Those aren't Android's gestures. Those are OnePlus' gestures. Your PlayStore issue is not normal.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, the issue i had with the google play store kinda fix on it's own... All of the sudden started working again, now my problem is with the oneplus phone app, constantly crashing, even while on call, I don't have battery optimization on or background tasks off, everything is the way the phone came, really frustrating....

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
So, the issue i had with the google play store kinda fix on it's own... All of the sudden started working again, now my problem is with the oneplus phone app, constantly crashing, even while on call, I don't have battery optimization on or background tasks off, everything is the way the phone came, really frustrating....

You can try the google phone app
play.google.com

Phone by Google - Apps on Google Play

Reliable phone calls with spam protection, caller ID and more helpful features

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Since o2 are seemingly never doing this Pro version, I think I will bite the bullet this weekend and just get Sim free. Also, I heard o2 won't be rolling out 5G till the summer, so I will wait to upgrade.

For the people who have had the phone for a little while, how is the camera and the overall phone experience? I have a 3T currently.