• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/the-oneplus-5t-lets-talk-about-the-headphone-jack.671594/

In the past, we've made some jokes on this subject, but today I wanted to dig deeper into our decision to keep the 3.5 mm headphone jack. Whether it's in the area of hardware or software, our focus is on producing superior product experiences. Every feature, removed or added, is based on our understanding of user needs. For the time being, we think it's best to stick with the headphone jack. Here's why.

So excited to hear this. If the 5T has a waterproof IP rating, I will be selling my OP5 to get it.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, when apple did it it sucked because they aren't using the USB c standard. The Pixel it's fine because they are. Time to move on.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP5T is likely to be my next phone, but if Razer products were a little more robust, that Razer phone would have waaaaay more of my attention.

anyprophet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
says a lot about the state of the smart phone industry when stuff like this makes news. apple, google and samsung know we're addicted to buying their products so they're free to pull a lot of anti-comsumer shit that they shouldn't be able to get away with.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
Unbelievable. Would never have thought it would come to a point where I applaud a company for keeping the 3.5mm jack.

This is true courage.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
You aren't a flagship phone if you are labeled the "flagship killer" lmao
Sure it is. My OP5 has a Snapdragon 835 and 8 gigs of ram. Fantastic battery life and dash charging is without a doubt the best fast charging tech.

Do OnePlus phones still have the rad sand paper feeling back? I loved that on my One.

No, they have a smooth back. They they sell a really thin sandstone case that has it.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
describe a flagship phone to me.
Good definition here:

I'd say it's the device a company intends to sell the most of, the one it markets more than any other, and the one that appeals to the largest demographic.
http://pocketnow.com/2014/10/07/true-meaning-of-flagship

Basically the centerpiece of a product line. OnePlus only releases one phone a year and sometimes updates it so that doesn't count. Samsung releases a bunch of phones and has one center piece that they build the hype around.

Bruh I'm poor, I haven't had a flagship phone since the Palm Pre!

(and the Galaxy SIII I guess)

One day you will join us in the top end phone game

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good definition here:

I'd say it's the device a company intends to sell the most of, the one it markets more than any other, and the one that appeals to the largest demographic.

Basically the centerpiece of a product line. OnePlus only releases one phone a year and sometimes updates it so that doesn't count. Samsung releases a bunch of phones and has one center piece that they build the hype around.

sure, but what makes it better than a 'non-flagship phone'; you made it sound like buying a 'flagship' phone somehow benefits the customer.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sure, but what makes it better than a 'non-flagship phone'; you made it sound like buying a 'flagship' phone somehow benefits the customer.
Generally comes with a certain level of support and expectation of quality. If you want one you are likely not going to be getting a headphone jack going forward as it doesn't need to exist in a USB c future.

Gaz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nobody should be buying a OnePlus Phone ever again after the privacy scandal tbh, headphone jack or not.

Oct 27, 2017
says a lot about the state of the smart phone industry when stuff like this makes news. apple, google and samsung know we're addicted to buying their products so they're free to pull a lot of anti-comsumer shit that they shouldn't be able to get away with.

Samsung doesn't really do anything like that afaik. You have top specs and basically every feature for a fairly competitive price.

Except maybe having the Bixby button not be remappable without battery-draining third party apps is one thing.

Good definition here:

One day you will join us in the top end phone game

Oh I get it, so basically every iPhone before the iPhone 6 was not a flagship phone. Okay that's interesting, I never would have thought that.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be getting an American sell phone plan through T-Mobile in the next few months. I'm not super phone-tech savvy, but I wouldn't mind getting a decent device (currently still using an LG G3). I've noticed you are better off buying a phone outright in the States, so are the OnePlus phones regarded as good options? Seems like a good value for $479.

Also, whats the difference between a base mode and a 'T'?

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I get it, so basically every iPhone before the iPhone 6 was not a flagship phone. Okay that's interesting, I never would have thought that.

That's true, I didn't think about apple. They seem to be the only one who released a single phone that competed on the large scale however. One plus and the other small groups aren't competing in the same level as say apple Samsung etc. Kind of like the difference between AAA game productions and indie game development.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong. Wireless audio technology has a lot of potential. And if you prefer wireless headphones, our flagships have excellent Bluetooth capability for this choice. But our goal from the beginning has been to bring better technology to the world. That's why we prioritize the user and make good technology accessible. Sometimes, industry trends go against our core beliefs. This is one of those times when we respectfully disagree on what it means to be courageous. That's why we're proud to announce that we're keeping the headphone jack for the OnePlus 5T – and confident that our product decisions for our upcoming device will offer the best flagship experience possible.

Never Settle.

Hahahahahahahahaha

+1

Samsung will probably keep it as well, I mean, look how gorgeous their flagship phones are and they have headphone jacks no problem.

Oct 27, 2017
That's true, I didn't think about apple. They seem to be the only one who released a single phone that competed on the large scale however. One plus and the other small groups aren't competing in the same level as say apple Samsung etc. Kind of like the difference between AAA game productions and indie game development.
The difference is that Apple is mainly trying to sell you new hardware to go with the new software features every year. They've been criticized for a long time for being too conservative/behind-the-times with hardware advances.

All Android phones use the same core software and mostly differentiate themselves with hardware (screen, camera, processor, battery, etc). In the case of Oneplus, they are "flagship level" for everything except for RAM which they go crazy with for some reason. That's probably why the OP5 costs about the same as the 6 month old Galaxy S8.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difference is mainly trying to sell you new hardware to go with the new software features every year.

All Android phones use the same core software and mostly differentiate themselves with hardware (screen, camera, processor, battery, etc). In the case of Oneplus, they are "flagship level" for everything except for RAM which they go crazy with for some reason. That's probably why the OP5 costs about the same as the 6 month old Galaxy S8.

I was mostly poking fun at their marketing terms as well since they called themselves the "flagship killer" :)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good. I'm not buying any phone without one.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? Supposedly there is only one flagship phone per manufacturer.

Is this a joke I'm just not getting? lol. Probably is.

As I'm an idiot and don't get it, I'll just point out the obvious that Samsung tends to go crazy and put out multiple variants of all their big selling phones. That's what I meant (egde/non-edge, bigger/smaller, etc). For years now they've all had headphone jacks, and still maintained beautiful and slim hardware designs.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As I'm an idiot and don't get it, I'll just point out the obvious that Samsung tends to go crazy and put out multiple variants of all their big selling phones. That's what I meant (egde/non-edge, bigger/smaller, etc).

They are trying to make fun of me I think, but it's okay.

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Good for them.

I would like to see the headphone jack ultimately disappear and wireless take over. But that's contingent on there being a good selection of wireless options available at all price points as well as sound quality and reliability being where they should be. We're not there yet.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are trying to make fun of me I think, but it's okay.

Ah okay. I mean I was having a jibe at Apple myself, but that was aimed at the company, not any individual posters who like Apple/disagree with me.

I'm just one of the "old-timers" who prefers cabled headphones and I already have a small collection of them and have no desire to have to charge another device just yet. I'd rather have a device where both audiences get catered for, wired and wireless, without it having to be one or the other (yes, adapters exist, but adapters are a PITA).

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

As I'm an idiot and don't get it, I'll just point out the obvious that Samsung tends to go crazy and put out multiple variants of all their big selling phones. That's what I meant (egde/non-edge, bigger/smaller, etc). For years now they've all had headphone jacks, and still maintained beautiful and slim hardware designs.
Yeh, sorry. Just being sarcastic and making fun of the 'flagship' title the industry tends to use and how people eat it up.

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently happy with my 3T, but good to know that if I ever want to upgrade, the company agrees with me on this niché view I have that when I buy a phone, I should be able to do things with it.

eZn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have a OnePlus 5. The GPS has been unreliable and inaccurate. Other than that phone is great.

Kiunch

Oct 26, 2017
I am really glad someone is keeping the headphone jack. I spent hundred dollars on my headphone, so this will greatly influence my purchasing decision.

I don't want to buy another headphone, especially when they are charging wireless headphones another premium.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am really glad someone is keeping the headphone jack. I spent hundred dollars on my headphone, so this will greatly influence my purchasing decision.

I don't want to buy another headphone, especially when they are charging wireless headphones another premium.
Your current headphones work with the adapter that is given for free with the phones...

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
When will they announce the new 5t? Any idea on pricing?

Rumor from leak is mid November and price is $30 more than the One Plus 5. I am glad they choose to keep the headphone jack. OP5 is probably best phone for price / performance. I am not going to get into semantic about what is Flagship but for my money it is the best balance between features and money I am willing to spend. I have three One Plus phone and all of them are still running great. I never have problem with their customer service, I have to send in OP3 for camera fix and got it back within a week.