• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
I have no doubt that USB Type C could and will deliver better quality audio, but the issue is 99% of the products in the market uses 3.5mm. Plus, I also think the shape of USB Type C is not very fitting for portable use...I can already imagine snapping the plug on my expensive pair of headphones.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
What is this fanaticism around having a headphone jack?

I'm interested to hear at what point we can move on from it in some people's opinions.
Why do we need to move on from it? It works perfectly for its use cases, it's a mature and refined technology. There's zero reason to remove headphone jacks from phones besides pure greed.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is this fanaticism around not having a headphone jack? It's a port that does what it's supposed to, and it got in the way approximately never for no person in the world.

Then Apple removed it, because they are Apple and can do whatever they like, and now people agree that actually the headphone jack is the worst thing in the world. Meanwhile you could have easily done "Apple removes headphone jack, brags about how brave they are" as a comedy sketch a few years ago.
Apple wasn't the first and it was going to happen regardless.

I have no doubt that USB Type C could and will deliver better quality audio, but the issue is 99% of the products in the market uses 3.5mm. Plus, I also think the shape of USB Type C is not very fitting for portable use...I can already imagine snapping the plug on my expensive pair of headphones.

This confuses me, it's sturdier than 3.5mm jack?

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Apple wasn't the first and it was going to happen regardless.

This confuses me, it's sturdier than 3.5mm jack?

What I mean is with Type C port being flat, seems more chance of bending the plug up and down. 3.5mm being a circular shaped port doesn't have this issue (since most portable headphones uses 90 degree angle 3.5mm plugs)

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It was going to happen anyway" still doesn't explain why I'm supposed to applaud when companies remove features I use daily.

With USB-C you aren't losing features though...

What I mean is with Type C port being flat, seems more chance of bending the plug up and down. 3.5mm being a circular shaped port doesn't have this issue (since most portable headphones uses 90 degree angle 3.5mm plugs)

It isn't flat though, it's an oval? Am I missing the point completely here? It's also seated in there well that there is little room to bend and snap, just put some pressure on my charging S8 for you for an example.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use my 3.5mm headphones with my phone and my tablet. I would now need to plug, unplug and store the adapter when I switch between devices. By removing this feature, it makes it more inconvenient for me.

I'm sure this situation isn't uncommon.

And once you also have a new tablet that problem won't happen, or you could have a bluetooth headset that works universally. All of these issues people bring up have very simple solutions.

Oct 28, 2017
And once you also have a new tablet that problem won't happen, or you could have a bluetooth headset that works universally. All of these issues people bring up have very simple solutions.

Solutions for a problem that I didn't have before though. What should be happening is keeping both but making the USB C more attractive, rather than the only option.

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing the point completely here?

In general? Yes, I would say so. There's nothing that USB-C audio offers users that the 3.5mm jack doesn't already do (despite whatever the fluff pieces you've read online will tell you), without needing promises that the standard will get better over time. Side-stepping that with 'just use a Bluetooth set' isn't worth discussing, as Bluetooth audio quality is not ideal, and many people don't want to invest in a separate pair of headphones just for their phone when what they have is already pretty good. What you think is 'fine' applies to your sole use case, and has nothing to do with anyone else.

I have a phone that uses only USB-C audio, and I find the out-of-the-box experience really flat and poor compared to pretty much every previous handset I've used in the past. I won't mind if someone makes an adapter that addresses my power and clarity concerns, but that still won't resolve the issues others have raised, which is just as easily remedied by just having a 3.5mm jack in addition to the USB-C jack. I also have a pair of Bluetooth headphones that Samsung gave out for free with phone upgrades years ago which I use once in a while, but the audio quality is so muddy compared to the output when I use the 3.5mm jack on the very same pair that it's often barely worth using them over my normal pairs.

Your 'solutions' actually come with a compromise somewhere - be it an additional cost, having someone's use case stepped on by a company's unfortunate hardware design, or lacking audio quality. They don't have these issues with what's already available. You have to be able to think outside of your own usage scenarios and think of how this move actually affects others. I'd honestly be surprised if USB-C Audio only handsets don't get walked back the same way that ditching user-expandable storage was. Removing the headphone jack is solving a problem nobody had.

Last edited:

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Might pick this up. Skipped the 5 because my 1 was still working fine, but it's beginning to show its age more and more for the past few weeks.

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If "Buy this phone, and continue as you were" is an option, why would I choose "Buy this other phone, and once you either start fiddling around with adapters, or buy a way more expensive wireless set that you now have to charge regularly, it's basically the same thing!"

Like, cool, you have a solution for not having a jack, but what if I don't artificially create a problem for myself that I would then need a solution for?

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
However you spin it, true convenience is having the choice of using both the headphone jack or wireless headphones.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OP5T is possibly my next phone. I'll just wait for reviews.

Headphone jack for life.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm interested to hear at what point we can move on from it in some people's opinions.
I travel a lot and I use my headphones on my phone pretty much all the time.I also tend to lose, forger or break headphones on a not infrequent enough basis for it to not be a concern.
I will move on when I can a get replacement everywhere in pretty much any city in the world for very a cheap price, like I can with 3.5mm headphones.

I don't think I'll ever want a wireless solution, as I think my general content with this digital age is in inverse correlation to the amount of devices I need to charge.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

You can move from it now, if you are so inclined. I'll stay with my 3.5mm jack. I listen to more than 5 hours of music a day, and that is only at work. You can't beat the convenience of it. Not until sound quality is better, and I don't have to charge my headphones, and every sound system I use doesn't require an adaptor for me to play any music using my phone.

Fanaticism... seriously...

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Unless you don't want to spend more money buying more stuff. Those aren't really solutions.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
good call from OnePlus. I have numerous types of headphones, all wired (which I VASTLY prefer). 3.5mm is THE standard. I don't give a shit if it makes my phone a few millimeters thicker; let them use that extra space for a bigger battery, even better. The whole "phones need to be thinner!" thing is just marketing-bullshit in my opinion. Most people I know who buy an expensive high end phone end up putting it in a cheap thick case or foldover.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this thread is full of "the future is taking away features you like because reasons". Nah, I'm good. I'll continue buying phones with headphone jacks.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
So besides the one person in here telling everyone which features they should have on there phone based on what they like what's the price point on this phone.

I am in the never want to spend more then $500 on a phone camp. My phone is on its last leg and it's time for an upgrade

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hmm might finally replace my One Plus One if the price is right for this. Battery has started to drain a lot faster to the point that I pretty much have to charge at work all day. Just using it on the train for the hour into and from work drains a good 35-40% of the battery one way. It's certainly treated me well over these few years.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USB-C is just a port, in itself it has nothing to do with sound quality. It either works as a pass-through from your phone's internal DAC (potentially introducing noise...) or it works as an interface for an external DAC.
People who actually care for sound quality either have a phone with a good internal DAC or use an external one. People who actually care for sound quality don't buy USB-C headphones with shitty integrated DACs. They buy good headphones which invariably use mini-jacks.

Last edited:

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You don't care about your own information security...?
I also have a 3T and don't care about this. I mean, have you seen the amount of data Google collects from your phone? It has everything from the apps you've opened, to the audios of your voice searches. That's even worse than what OnePlus was doing, imo.

What's so big about them having my IMEI?

Oct 28, 2017
I debated on getting the OnePlus5 for a mid-tier phone but it got way pricier than the OnePlus3. Decided on getting a Moto Z Play and just never looked back (mainly for it's phenomenal battery life - it's an absolute godsend for mid-tierness)

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
It really doesn't matter if you're angry about companies removing the headphone jack. In a few years every phone will remove it and you'll just have to move on.

Didn't OnePlus basically say they're keeping it "for now"?

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
My current car doesnt have Bluetooth and I'm not certain the car I'm planning to buy has it either, so I'll definitely be interested in a phone with aux for at least 5-6 more years.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really doesn't matter if you're angry about companies removing the headphone jack. In a few years every phone will remove it and you'll just have to move on.

Didn't OnePlus basically say they're keeping it "for now"?

Bingo, these people will have to move on with their lives. Like the people who got upset about their record players being replaced sometimes things change for the better.

My current car doesnt have Bluetooth and I'm not certain the car I'm planning to buy has it either, so I'll definitely be interested in a phone with aux for at least 5-6 more years.
New stereo or Bluetooth adapter or a car made recently will have Bluetooth most likely.

I thought they only called themselves a flagship killer for the OnePlus One release?
Maybe, not sure on that specifically

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017

I am in the same boat plus I had some awsome Bluetooth headphones but charging them every night became a chore

StreamXSonik

Oct 25, 2017
5t looking like a killer phone, still interested to see how it stacks up against the new range of android one devices though - at this point I'm more interested in the OS experience over specs.

Headphone jacks are like SD slots, Apple and Google will get away with removing them - everyone else will have to stick with them until they are no longer necessary or take a hit on sales. Reading some of the comments in this thread I look forward to the reactions when the first manufacturer reinstates the headphone jack...

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The Oppo R11S for Asian markets was unveiled earlier last week and, seeing how the OnePlus tends to mirror Oppo designs as they share the same parent company, it's widely expected that the OnePlus 5T will look very similar...

oppo_r11s.jpeg