• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure you've realised this by now, but you are allowed to enhance the orbs to get through the locked doors. I did question that too when I first started the playthrough for the trophy, but then if you weren't allowed to enhance the orbs then you wouldn't be able to finish the game lol.

Also, my first playthrough of this version I did the water puzzle first try, I wasn't really thinking about it. Second time I did forget how I did it and died. Panic makes your brain go to mush.

Yep, haha. I didn't even look at the enhancement menu so when I did I was like "you can upgrade the orbs?"

I managed the trap rooms and water puzzle first try. I just remembered them from back in the day. Funny how memory works huh?

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
I was really amazed by the original relase on PS2. It was perhaps the first really good release that system got after its launch window.

My thoughts about this remaster are mixed. It certainly looks really dated, especially the cut-scenes and the backgrounds. Some of the pre-rendered environmenrs still look nice though. The English dub is god awful, but I already knew that back in 2001, so I naturally chose the Japanese dub. The new control set up is great, I can't bring myself to play classic RE tank controls in 2019. The setting and atmosphere is as great as it ever was.

I remember absolutely loving Onimusha 2. Hope it gets remastered too, and that it doesn't feel quite as dated as the first.

Edit: closer to the end, I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. A really solid game, even today.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is there dome extra trick to opening these decoder boxes? I put in the right answer and I have all the files but they still won't open.....

Oct 25, 2017
Got all the collectibles, no herbs and no upgrades in one run. Dusted off the dark realm and Oni Spirits too.

Just need to S-rank ultimate difficulty in 3 hours and I'm done.

Does going to the PS4 dashboard stop the in game timer?

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was really amazed by the original relase on PS2. It was perhaps the first really good release that system got after its launch window.

My thoughts about this remaster are mixed. It certainly looks really dated, especially the cut-scenes and the backgrounds. Some of the pre-rendered environmenrs still look nice though. The English dub is god awful, but I already knew that back in 2001, so I naturally chose the Japanese dub. The new control set up is great, I can't bring myself to play classic RE tank controls in 2019. The setting and atmosphere is as great as it ever was.

I remember absolutely loving Onimusha 2. Hope it gets remastered too, and that it doesn't feel quite as dated as the first.

12 year old me playing this in 2001 for the first time with tank controls = no problem
30 year old me playing this in 2019 with tank controls = NOPE

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Okay, thanks for letting me know. Stay cool bro.

Yeah, stay cool next time you have to spend 10 minutes on a couple of puzzles.

How to I 'win' enemy/boss grabs and clashes? Like what should I be mashing?

Mash Attack, Lock-On, and Block buttons. At least that works for me.

Initially I tried mashing just the Attack button but that rarely worked which kind of shocked me since I've beaten staff records in Mario Party button mashing minigames. Having to mash all three of those button feels super unintuitive but I read about it from some post in this thread and it works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Got all the collectibles, no herbs and no upgrades in one run. Dusted off the dark realm and Oni Spirits too.

I'm not sure about going to dashboard, but pressing the touch pad to go the options menu stops it.

Oct 27, 2017
So I just looked up how short this is.

Is there any replayability at all? I really want this, but 20 bucks is a bit much for a 5 hour remaster of a PS2 game, in my opinion. I'd rather wait for a sale.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

Not sure about the dashboard, but pausing the game by pressing the touchscreen does stop the timer, unlike in REmake.

Is there any replayability at all? I really want this, but 20 bucks is a bit much for a 5 hour remaster of a PS2 game, in my opinion. I'd rather wait for a sale.

If you enjoy replaying a game and getting better at it, it's worth the 20 bucks, imo. I played through it 3 times for the Platinum and had a fun time, despite never playing an Onimusha game before.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Support the game so we can get a sequel! Break it down into cost/hour it's like $4. It's genuinely a classic and I hope you'd have great fun with it.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I can only make it to floor 10 in the dark realm. :(
Any tips? I guess I should try to Issen more.

The Bazuu enemies (spiky guys that roll at you) are fairly easy to Issen if you get close to the them. Try and get some health back that way when they show up. If you haven't got many healing items then you'll need to practise it anyway.

Don't underestimate the gun when you're in a pinch as well, the burst bullets can be really useful to knock a few enemies down quickly.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I got the chance to play it for first time last year on my PS2 and I had a lot of fun with it. So I recommend it to anyone that want to play a good action game with some puzzles. I also liked the enemy designs, backgrounds and music, giving the game horror vibes that mix really well with the samurai theme of the game.

Loneck

Feb 26, 2018

I played it for the first time with tank controls of course and it took me 9 hours (no herbs and medicine used) and still didn't do and find everything. Replayability is there.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
Enjoying the shit out of this game, i love the classic RE aspects of the game.

It's fascinating to me that Onimusha, DMC and Dino Crisis were born from RE. Also i just realized that there was a PS1 version of the game and was 50% complete, i really want to see how it looks.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it up and gotta say, the game was much better than I expected.

It holds up really well and feels far ahead of its time, especially considering it came out before DMC1. Heck, MGR's parry basically feels like a copy of this game's.

One other thing I immediately felt was how it was from a time when Capcom still made consistently great campaigns. Sure it's not too long but on the plus side it's very smooth sailing and there is very little to no filler. That makes it great for replayibility.

Overall, loved it and can't wait for the second game to get ported.

Left and right on the analog stick or d-pad.

Thanks for this, worked much better than mashing randomly lol. Went from being 1 HKO'd by the final boss to losing a tiny sliver of life.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

It's fascinating to me that Onimusha, DMC and Dino Crisis were born from RE. Also i just realized that there was a PS1 version of the game and was 50% complete, i really want to see how it looks.
There's a lot of footage in this video.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada

And RE was born from Alone in the Dark

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 achievements left ..... no health items and the one where no weapon/health/mana upgrades, not sure if I can be arsed, already rinsed it about 5 times now :S

JaxJag

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly didn't think Onimusha would hold up. I bought it day 1 back in 2001, and enjoyed the game, and really the entire series in the coming years. But I remember the controls not being great, and the camera being a huge issue, and just some terrible voice acting.

But Onimusha is still pretty damn fun.

If the camera was a little better, and you could skip the cutscenes.... the game would feel surprisingly modern. The bad voice acting just adds a lot of charm. All in all i'm still surprised by how much fun I had. But now i'm wondering what other games hold up well from that era. I might need to start replaying some of my old favorites from back then.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got through that dreaded water puzzle! And it's been pretty good on switch, as well. Hopefully they remaster onimusha 2 soon

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Making my way thru this right now and im LOVIN IT!!!

Question tho, how many opted for analog controls in the end? :)

Oct 25, 2017
The water puzzle opened up repressed memories. I didn't remember it until now. I just watched a Youtube solution vid because fuck that.

Finished it with most things including the Bishamon Sword.

I have no clue how you were supposed to fight the tall armored enemies. I usually try to get a cut or 2 in and back out but occasionally they'll parry me and then vertical slice when I'm stunned. Also can never win the sword clash. Could never reliably issen anything.

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played it this weekend for the first time and loved it. A bit short, but very enjoyable.

Would love to see 2 and 3 remastered as well.

Oct 28, 2017
Just beat it an hour ago. Beat all floors in the dark realm, got the bishomon sword, got 16 of the 20 flourite, got the special outfit for Samanosuke, upgraded all swords and orbs to max, max health, all armor sets, fully upgraded the gauntlet.

Finished in 3 1/2 hours. Got a B ranking.

After all these years, I still love this game.

c0f8cd25afe2223e9f10db9a8072a354.jpg

GamePro-Magazine-146-February-2001-ONIMUSHA-WARLORDS.jpg

e71175b9a840cd716d955b4665d92126-nextgen_66_cover.jpg

1jam9c.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whats the knack with getting critical attacks? Guarding just before they hit and attacking immediately, or is it dodging their attack then trying to hit? I end up doing it randomly during some fights but cant quite get how I did it.

Anyone else laugh in the end when -
Kaede's epilogue is basically .... she dead.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the knack with getting critical attacks? Guarding just before they hit and attacking immediately, or is it dodging their attack then trying to hit? I end up doing it randomly during some fights but cant quite get how I did it.

There's two ways. Either block just before a hit lands and attack if you see a flash or simply attack just before a hit lands. The first method is slightly easier and safer I would say.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Beat this last night and was very impressed with this port! Graphics were stunning. I was also impressed with the cutscenes being properly scaled also (and not sacrificing quality like other capcom titles -cough RE4 cough). One downside that i don't get is why they didn't include the genma onimusha content? Seemed like a no brainer to have the ultimate version of the game. Possibly could've been some weird licensing thing with xbox I guess but feels like a hugely missed opportunity. Loved the soundtrack, it might be even better than the original (not sure how much was changed) I also don't remember the game being THAT short, but I actually felt satisfied with it.

You can now change weapons without accessing the menu as well.

I was wondering if this was new. Since i remembered that being a thing i always had to do. A huge gamechanger in my opinion. Makes the game much more engaging.
I hope enough people buy this so that Capcom releases Onimusha 2 HD, that game is fantastic.
Onimusha 2 is one of my favorite nostalgic games from that gen

Same! one of my most memorable and favorite PS2 games as well as in the series. I can see the licensing being a nightmare though with the actor that played jubei(i'm assuming at least). I think he passed away a while ago before being implemented in the original game, but i'm not sure how much that muddy's stuff up since i believe that's the same case with Samanosuke. But i'm sure they'll figure it out, maybe pull a Yakuza 4 and just replace the actor outright to make things easier. I hope they don't though.

Mash Attack, Lock-On, and Block buttons. At least that works for me.

Initially I tried mashing just the Attack button but that rarely worked which kind of shocked me since I've beaten staff records in Mario Party button mashing minigames. Having to mash all three of those button feels super unintuitive but I read about it from some post in this thread and it works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I was wondering why i wasn't winning the battles, going to try that in my next playthrough.

There's a secret additional battle after fighting fortinbras right? I could've sworn that you get to fight as the samanosuke in demon form after the inital fight. I didn't do the bloody palace (forgot the term) so i'm guessing i possibly needed the bishamon sword.

How do you put samanosuke's panda head on considering that R2 is now reserved for weapon swaps?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

You know i was thinking the same thing lol. Felt kinda just abrupt to just kill her off like that....14 years in advance LOL. Could've just left it as she's still searching for samanosuke and that's it.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Man, playing Onimusha and remembering how amazing it is makes me glad that Capcom seems to be finally back on track!

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I'm worried that this remaster didn't do too hot and we might not see the other games released on modern platforms. It'd really suck since I quite enjoyed playing this game for the first time and getting the Platinum. It'd suck if they didn't release the other games on modern platforms.