• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Just opened my US PS4 copy and... am I crazy? I thought this game was supposed to have reversible coverart?

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Not done with it yet, but really enjoying revisiting this. Probably first time playing it since original release.

I'm Ok with how it is for $20. Wouldn't mind a couple of QoL updates. (mainly the ability continue from last save point without going back to the title screen)
I actually started using tank controls after the first hour or so. Better for me in combat. I'm sure it didn't bother me at the time, but it is jarring how often the camera switches. Sometimes 3-4 times just walking down a hallway, lol. The frickin' water puzzle was hard for me as well.

I still love how delightfully evil/cheesy the villains are, and the game has great atmosphere/mood. Creepy at times, and have always loved the Samurai aesthetic. The new music is great IMO, a couple of tracks are especially strong. (don't remember the old music much, other than liking it)

I hope this does well enough to get further entries in the series. Be happy with a similar remaster for the other games, a completely new modern entry, or an RE2 style remake. Just give me more please.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Needless to say I'm having a ton of fun replaying this gem. I really hope the trilogy is completed.

That being said, holy hell is that perspective texturing distracting. Poor Samanosuke can't stop jittering to save his life.
Even though the PS2 was one of the earlier consoles to support floating integer mapping, I take it the technology was unfeasible for developers that early in the console's run?

(Edit:Earlier, not earliest. I know the custom SGI hardware running the N64 created smoother movements in 3d models.)

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Having owned 1,2 and 3 in the early 2000s, I must say that I'm shocked that I just this week learned that there is an Onimusha 4. I remember one or two spin-offs released after 3, but Dawn of Dreams somehow just went under my radar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Playing with JP voices and I realize that the translation isn't as good as it could be. The interaction between Samo and Guildenstern in the basement when they first meet stood out to me. They gloss over a lot of Guildenstern's dialogue and water it down to general concepts - he has more personality in the original, comes off as snarkier and more aloof.

It's an ok translation, not bad by any means, but some of the character in the, well, characters, was lost in the process. Only a little, but noticeably so.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Got the platinum trophy a couple of days ago, really enjoyed going back to this after so many years.

Getting the no upgrades + no healing items trophies in one run was really tough when it came to the final boss. Had me raging for a while but eventually beat him and got the plat.

Now i just hope they bring out the rest of the series since i remember loving both 2 and three. Well, only thing i didnt like about 3 was the strange decision to have someone else play Jean Renos character for the English voice even though he can speak English.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All done -

2019-01-2359kj4.png

Remind me never to take on Fortinbras again while doing it both without using power/magic upgrades and no weapon upgrades.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try with no health items too like me lol, such a pain.

Luckily totems don't count as I accidentally used one for the last boss before him.

Ah actually it was without herbs/medicine (that's why the last boss was so damn hard) and no weapon/jewel upgrades. Would have been easy if I could get hit and heal. Should have really separated the runs really but bugger it, its done.

Anyway, for some reason, just like in the original, I really like the bits where it mixes an FMV with the real time models, and nice to see the remastered ones do the same thing. Just an odd thing I like.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Okay wait, do I have to go through the Demon World twice for the sword? If so I might have to put that off until tomorrow.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Okay wait, do I have to go through the Demon World twice for the sword? If so I might have to put that off until tomorrow.
Nah just once, you use the item you get on level 20 near the end of the game to get the sword.

Also, some behind the scenes footage (of the facial/motion capture for Samanosuke) that just popped up in my sub box for anyone interested.

Last edited:

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Nah just once, you use the item you get on level 20 near the end of the game to get the sword.

Also, some behind the scenes footage (of the facial/motion capture for Samanosuke) that just popped up in my sub box for anyone interested.

Okay cool, thanks.

So I guess the second chance to enter the Demon World is just optional? Is there anything that makes it worth it or is it just to get more of what there was the first time through?

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So any reports on how the sales have been? I really hope we can get re releases for at least 2 and 3.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having owned 1,2 and 3 in the early 2000s, I must say that I'm shocked that I just this week learned that there is an Onimusha 4. I remember one or two spin-offs released after 3, but Dawn of Dreams somehow just went under my radar.

It's been a long ass time since I finished DoD but I remember loving it, definitely worth checking out.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Okay cool, thanks.

So I guess the second chance to enter the Demon World is just optional? Is there anything that makes it worth it or is it just to get more of what there was the first time through?
Yeah, you can do it as many times as you want. It's useful on other runs if you are going for an S rank, but it's only really worth going through it once on a normal playthrough.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Got this last Sat and just finished last night (just in time for RE2!)

Fair bit of nostalgia for this as I remember vividly playing it right before senior prom back in '01, lol

Anyway, thoughts:

- Overall, it really does hold up so damn well and is highly playable and fun!…. Well, 'cept tank controls but I'll get to that in a later.

- 2D backgrounds are still gorgeous to this day and yeah, still evoke a tone/mood that is classic. I'll always be an advocate for fixed camera angles because much like in film, there's just things that happen narratively/tonally that can't always be replicated with full 3D cameras. That being said, at least we're now at a point where 2D prerendered visual fidelity can be easily replicated with today's tech. Hell, I know they had to do it with a few rooms in REMake HD.

- I didn't even listen to the English VA. I understand it's cheesy and is definitely a product of its era. The Japanese is fantastic though and everyone brings their A-game. I guess they even got Takeshi Kaneshiro to reprise his role? 'cause whoever played Sam, he was awesome!

- While I was sad to lose the old OST, I quickly realized I was actually only nostalgic for one track really, which was "Samanosuke's theme". Reason being, it's as far as I got in the original, lol. So actually the new OST is totally fine (even great at points!) and the final boss theme in particular is fucking epic.

- I fucking love how short it is…. No seriously, it doesn't overstay it's welcome and encourages repeated playthroughs, which immediately did as soon as I finished it, tho…wait for it… …..

- ….Changing tank controls to analog. So, I'm also a big advocate of tank controls and the intentional/beneficial (depending on who you ask) restrictions they'll put on a player in order to up the tension/sense of struggle. I always use them in any Resident Evil that has them. That being said, I wanted to appreciate them here but by the end of the game, they just became a point of frustration, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I made my whole way thru and beat the final boss (who was actually quite a challenge!) with them and everything, but I was glad to immediately switch to analog for my subsequent playthrough. I think why they frustrated me here in particular so much was:

-- you can only use the D-Pad, which can be uncomfortable with the Dualshock 4's segmented/low-profile one for extended durations. Even with Resident Evil, I'll still use an analog because I just find it more comfortable.

-- Sam's turn radius/arc fucking sucks. You'll hit diagonals and he'll barely turn, so a lot of the time you'll find yourself coming to complete stops in order to orientate yourself. This is exacerbated by the continuous narrow corridors. Mind you, this isn't an issue in REMake HD or even, say, RE2 – Dual Shock Ver.

-- Because of the nature of the camera angles, there'll be instances where you'll try to rely on lock-on/blocking for situational awareness/regaining footing but they'll flip and now so is your lock-on's direction/orientation…. basically like reversing a car. Okay, not too big of a deal, but because fights escalate as the game progresses due to enemy movesets and their numbers, you'll feel like your overthinking what should be fluid, immediate actions and are playing at a disadvantage. In the end, it started to hinder the experience and I don't know why they just didn't originally go with analog on PS2 (and yes, I know that the encounters are designed/balanced around tank controls) because it works completely fine. Even when transitioning angles, if you are still holding in a direction, you'll keep heading in that direction. Basically it's a Devil May Cry system, which I find easier to cope with anyway. Honestly, it's my only gripe with what hasn't stood the test of time.

But yeah, even though I was pretty frustrated at the end as the last couple bosses put up a pretty damn good challenge (and the controls made them even more frustrating), I still adore this game and sincerely hope Capcom will remaster the rest of the series J

Definitely going for the platinum!

Loneck

Feb 26, 2018
-- you can only use the D-Pad, which can be uncomfortable with the Dualshock 4's segmented/low-profile one for extended durations. Even with Resident Evil, I'll still use an analog because I just find it more comfortable.

Yeah, they should offer more controls presets with tank controls on analog stick.

-- Sam's turn radius/arc fucking sucks. You'll hit diagonals and he'll barely turn, so a lot of the time you'll find yourself coming to complete stops in order to orientate yourself. This is exacerbated by the continuous narrow corridors. Mind you, this isn't an issue in REMake HD or even, say, RE2 – Dual Shock Ver.

Agreed.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- While I was sad to lose the old OST, I quickly realized I was actually only nostalgic for one track really, which was "Samanosuke's theme". Reason being, it's as far as I got in the original, lol. So actually the new OST is totally fine (even great at points!) and the final boss theme in particular is fucking epic.

I cant remember the old OST at all (been a long time since I played it), so if I didn't know it was changed I would never have known. But having to take on the final boss without any upgrades/herbs meant the fight took a long time, and let me actually hear how epic that final tune is, really damn good.

Even the just running around the map music was seemingly more epic than it needed to be. Not sure if the composer is a new guy or a vet, but I found the soundtrack to be rock solid.

I need Onimusha 2 now. From what I remember it was what RE2 was to RE1.

Oct 31, 2017
Just finished the game. It's my second time through, but first time for the PS4 version.

Game aged... okay, I guess. It's extremely barebones. You can tell that the game was insanely rushed because the final dungeon was 3 seconds long and the ending is very anticlimactic.

Also the water puzzle segment is horrible.

Easily the weakest Onimusha game IMO.

Also, IMO, the new OST is better during gameplay, but the original OST was far better for cutscenes.

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
So, after completing the remaster and getting all the achievements, I decided to dig out my 360 and finally play through Genma Onimusha now that Warlords is still fresh in my mind, and goddamn, it's such a massive bummer it wasn't included in the remaster. I can kind of understand wanting to remaster the vanilla version over Genma, since it honestly feels more like a "crazy second playthrough remix mode" intended for people already familiar with the original game (which is why it being an Xbox exclusive feels so weird), but it really would have been fantastic to have as an unlockable extra in the remaster.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised how well the original game still holds up too. Onimusha was the very first game I bought with my PS2 back in the summer of 2001 and the series in general ended up being one of my favorites from that era, but having not played any of the games in what must a be decade at least, I had almost forgotten just how much I loved these games. While I think the sequels (Oni2 in particular) are better, Warlords is still a great game. It's definitely really short, but nicely paced and just fun to run through in one sitting or two. Lack of cutscene skip ruins the replayability a bit though, which is a shame.

I hope we do end up getting Onimusha 2 remaster soon too, though at this point I might just go ahead and play it on PCSX2 after I'm done with Genma.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Fuck this game with its unskippable cutscenes and

THE

constantly

changing '

c
a
m
e
r

a

angles.

This is like negative quality of life. Hopefully newer titles aren't like this.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
EDIT: NVM, figured out a way: First add the game via Nvidia control panel and set it up, then Nvidia inspector will recognize the game. Managed to set it at 4x SSGSS anti aliasing and seems a little cleaner and I don't see jaggies on the chests for now at least.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Aight just witched to Kaede but overall I like the game. I take it I am now halfway through?
Is there a lock on button? Cuz I just slashed at enemies and just walked back if I wanted to avoid them. I like how the non-tank controls allow for this XD

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
This is like negative quality of life. Hopefully newer titles aren't like this.
The series moved to full 3D backgrounds in Onimusha 3, though it still uses fixed camera angles/movement. Dawn of Dreams has a manual controlled camera. The rest of the games let you skip cutscenes, at least after having seen them once. It's absolutely stupid the remaster doesn't allow cutscene skipping at all, when both Genma Onimusha on Xbox and even the obscure 2002 PC port of Warlords (released only in Asian and Russian markets to my knowledge) did.

Aight just witched to Kaede but overall I like the game. I take it I am now halfway through?
Is there a lock on button? Cuz I just slashed at enemies and just walked back if I wanted to avoid them. I like how the non-tank controls allow for this XD
R1/RB locks on to the nearest enemy. And yeah, that's about the halfway point of the game. It's a really short game, regardless.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I feel sillt dor not using lock on against the floating eye enemies who steal spuls now :v
Gonna speed thru kaede's section as she doesnt gain souls

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
97E373D11A99B1EAED18FF17C2809943606765C3

Well that was a fun romp.
Final boss was disappointing at how easy he was. The doppleganger was a tougher boss than him!