• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This especially hurts if you're into more obscure mon. Like I am never going to see my precious tynamo in these

This would hurt even less if the models looked good, which they don't, or even did the bare minimum and changed the battle effects, which they didn't

But of course we will have Onix in every game

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
It's so crazy to me that during a week where we saw games like Cyberpunk, FFVII, and Ghostwire Tokyo that these Pokemon animations are what we're supposed to believe were holding them back lol

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe they are doing this. They are gonna ruin the whole franchise with this move. The countless hours of catching, breeding, training and just like that gone.....

It's a franchise altering move and changes things drastically going forward. Now Game Freak decides which Pokemon you will be using.

I honestly don't know if I want to be part of it.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel this thread is too quick for me to catch up. Can someone put up a timeline or bullet-point lists of the current events thus far, and to see if later down the road, we hear back from the developers and/or the community?
the timeline is that yesterday, Masuda said on Treehouse Live that the only Pokemon implemented in Sword and Shield are the ones in the Galar regional Dex, and those are the only Pokemon you can transfer to Sword and Shield out of other Pokemon games. there's also that interview posted on the last page I guess

there's been zero acknowledgement of any consternation amongst their customers about this on their end, and I would be extremely surprised if there ever is

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
How many of you actually care about Amie/Refresh beyond giving Eevee two hearts to evolve into Sylveon?

I thought Amie was pretty cute and liked the idea, but was frustrated at how basic the mechanic was, especially since in the end you find the most sensitive part of the Pokemon and just keep rubbing the stylus over it until you get more hearts.

I want them to continue it, but to expand it, and give it a lot more nuance besides only the most basic aspects of the Pokemon. I'd like to say I want it to have more "physicality" but I have no idea if that would be possible (but who knows, given we're in the era of HD rumble). I definitely want more grooming options.

If they give this stuff the level of depth that I'd want, then I'll totally accept their justification for the lack of inclusion of every Pokemon, because it involves a lot of focus on physical details of every Pokemon. They haven't (to my knowledge -- haven't watched the Treehouse streams) shown any of this so I'm just as confused by their decisions as anyone else, especially since Refresh didn't really add much of anything to the formula from what I experimented with and that was one Pokemon.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe they are doing this. They are gonna ruin the whole franchise with this move. The countless hours of catching, breeding, training and just like that gone.....

As a casual Pokemon gamer, I find relief in their decision. It's good to know I don't have to buy previous games and collect my favourite Pokemon there.

Totally get why engaged fans are upset about this, though.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe I partly bought a Switch for this. Fuck this. I also can't believe how angry I am about this but I feel like this is the first time I've felt shit on about something I love from childhood

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Because they no longer care about connectivity within a single generation, they want to force everyone to buy every game to continue to be able to play within a specific generation and they want people to be forced to pay for Pokemon Home indefinitely and not just when new gens come out.
Well, got to show them with your wallet which I will be doing, this is shitty practise.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Serebii is being generous and hopeful

If you read the linked article... to me the language is abundantly clear

Whatever work they did to "future proof" existing pokemon... who cares

They are shifting priorities. Maybe they had a different vision for the future back then. Maybe they thought they might do ONE MORE 3DS generation!

Either way it certainly sounds like their design goals have changed with their new development members and catering to Nintendo Switch system and its capabilities

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
As far as balancing goes, don't you only really need to keep a close eye on the regional dex? As far as nation dex mons go I feel like it's a little more okay if they end up over/under powered because you're bringing them in from the outside, if it messes with the balance of the campaign a little bit it's not the end of the world because you're going out of your way to do so

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
IMO after the Let's Go games they know they can get away with anything. Honestly, this was expected.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't they include Pokemon with their old animations for the time being and update them over time for the new game in gen 8 or patch, and I'm sure they have alot of animations already made for those Pokemon in gen 6&7 that would be sufficient.

This is absurd to cut them all altogether.
im assuming existing pokes will use the old animations. the pokemon barely move as is, i dont see them changing them. all 3DS games looked exactly the same in battle

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
As a casual Pokemon gamer, I find relief in their decision. It's good to know I don't have to buy previous games and collect my favourite Pokemon there.

I don't get it. If they aren't available in SS the only way to get them is in old games

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
the timeline is that yesterday, Masuda said on Treehouse Live that the only Pokemon implemented in Sword and Shield are the ones in the Galar regional Dex, and those are the only Pokemon you can transfer to Sword and Shield out of other Pokemon games. there's also that interview posted on the last page I guess

there's been zero acknowledgement of any consternation amongst their customers about this on their end, and I would be extremely surprised if there ever is
Ok, then the whole event just started since yesterday. I'd give it about 1 or 2 weeks, and then check it up to see if there are any updates. Thanks.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a franchise altering move and changes things drastically going forward. Now Game Freak decides which Pokemon you will be using.

I honestly don't know if I want to be part of it.
If Pokémon cut POKÉMON themselves, then I'm out.

This is what happens when people excuse stuff like cutting features like Hard Mode, Battle Frontier, most post-game things, etc.

Now we're losing MOVES (Z-move), FORMS (mega) and POKÉMON even. It's ridiculous.

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak actually wanted a piece of the Battle Royale pie. Drop 800+ Pokemon onto an island and let them duke it out to see who gets to be into the next Mainline games LOL.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Masuda has clearly lost it. So are they going to rebrand the "gotta catch em'all' that's been a staple in the franchise since its debut 20+ years ago? Seriously, the old man needs to take a hike like Miyamoto and let the younger folk take the reins. Completely lost it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You could have just traded for them online. Shit, most people will just give away whatever you wanted for nothing in return.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's weird how they care about balance now. They didnt care about balance in lets go and that was a smaller pool of pokemon made for a new audience to teach them the mechanics. But heres stealth rock with no counters. Heres mega evolutions with no real drawbacks.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
all they have to do is make hd quality animations once for evrey Pokemon and they are good for a while

the switch 2 won't be as strong as the ps4

nintendobprobably won't have a machine powerful enouph forps5 games until like 2035

Nintendo wont have a massive power jump for a long time.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
As far as balancing goes, don't you only really need to keep a close eye on the regional dex? As far as nation dex mons go I feel like it's a little more okay if they end up over/under powered because you're bringing them in from the outside, if it messes with the balance of the campaign a little bit it's not the end of the world because you're going out of your way to do so
if its anything like prior gens, you won't be able to import your pokes until post campaign anyway.

Or they could've just made the official tournaments restrict teams, like they've already have done several times before.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking of making a separate thread regarding the bit about this being Game Freak's policy going forward (since this thread seems to be focused more on Sword and Shield), along with maybe some suggestions on how to properly and politely send feedback regarding it to TPC/Game Freak. Would that be a bit redundant, or should I go for it?

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This better be the greatest and most in-depth camping simulator of all time.
I'm expecting it to be cool for like 5 minutes.

Masuda has clearly lost it. So are they going to rebrand the "gotta catch em'all' that's been a staple in the franchise since its debut 20+ years ago? Seriously, the old man needs to take a hike like Miyamoto and let the younger folk take the reins. Completely lost it.
He reminds me of these Square Enix producers that just seem to have no clue at all to what they're doing.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This is work a one year game development student intern could probably do. GameFreak is just incompetent.

You guys aren't getting it

Its not about the excuses.... Read between the lines or hell read the blunt language

They no longer want to drag the roster forward indefinitely

So we can bitch about he details about "how easy it would be" or how there is no reasonable explanation this cant be done all day

But its quite simply a design decision they look to stick with going forward

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how they care about balance now. They didnt care about balance in lets go and that was a smaller pool of pokemon made for a new audience to teach them the mechanics. But heres stealth rock with no counters. Heres mega evolutions with no real drawbacks.
They don't care at all. lol Remember when they made Mega, people thought it would balance the game, but then they just made strong Pokémon even stronger and the meta even more unbalanced.

That's just an excuse he thinks he can get some people to rally behind.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Btw sorry for the off topic, but someone can help me to get some trade evos in Let's Go? I can do the same

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You guys aren't getting it

Its not about the excuses.... Read between the lines or hell read the blunt language

They no longer want to drag the roster forward indefinitely

So we can bitch about he details about "how easy it would be" or how there is no reasonable explanation this cant be done all day

But its quite simply a design decision they look to stick with going forward
Then why does pokemon home even exist

They could have just done a hard cutoff like gen 3 again

But theyre doing this weird half step

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

GOOD QUESTION!

I have no idea! I mean it DOES work for Sword and Shield and presumably any future games they make next?

So probably for that. Maybe they will make spinoff games that pull your pokemon off the bench one more time!

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
So you'd rather just....not be able to collect them at all?

I'd be happy if they were in the game, but I'm okay not being able to import them for not having time to play old versions.

Yeah just not have them in the game at all, can't have them. Problem solved.

Works for me. This is a very selfish point of view, but yeah.

I don't get it. If they aren't available in SS the only way to get them is in old games

Doesn't matter because you can't transfer them since they aren't in the game.

You could have just traded for them online. Shit, most people will just give away whatever you wanted for nothing in return.

That's a fair point! Last time I used the trade system I could tell there's a fair bit of generous players out there.

Nov 14, 2017
IIRC he claimed he was stepping back after Let's Go, but I don't know the specifics of what he actually said.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
GOOD QUESTION!

I have no idea! I mean it DOES work for Sword and Shield and presumably any future games they make next?

So probably for that. Maybe they will make spinoff games that pull your pokemon off the bench one more time!
its to trick people to importing their pokes that some have had for over a decade, then hiding them behind a paywall, that if you stop paying for, they get deleted.

its pretty fucking evil. ill leave all my pokes on my 3ds carts

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
i wonder what percentage of the player base has actually "caught them all". is that phrase still used in marketing material?

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017

They don't want to actively remove Pokemon, they just want to limited the available Pokemon in each game. For example, maybe Slugma and Magcargo aren't available in Sword and Shield but they are available in the Gen 9 games. Your pre-exisiting Magcargo from Gen 7 would be transferable to Gen 9, just not Sword and Shield.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Lol who do you think are the driving force behind the desire to do something new?

The YOUNGER DEVS

HE literally says it in the article

Are you surprised they dont want to animate 1000 old pokemon 10 times over for the next decade?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I have a complete Pokedex all the way from X/Y generation. I have Pokebank, but honestly, this decision didn't bother me.

Eventually, a hard reboot will be needed. Just too many mons.

That said, I do hope they update this for fans that want all the Pokemon available.

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It honestly feels like this decision to not support every pokemon was made very suddenly. There's no doubt they started developing SWSH and got so far into it only to realize that they cant put every pokemon in before release. It feels like there was no foresight to this decision.

Either they'll update it (not SWSH, release a new version) with every mon and then future proof them...more I guess, OR Gen 9 is a hard reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.