• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I think the first time I ever found the Serebii site was because I was looking into a rumor and it had an article on there debunking that myth that there was an incredibly small chance that you could find a wild Celebi in the grass on a certain route in Ruby and Sapphire. I then checked out the fakemons and it was all downhill from there LOL. Before I saw that article, I think I actually spent some time trying to find Celebi in the grass. You don't get myths and rumors like that anymore.

I think I saw all of the gen 4 mons on there for the first time too in a news post. It was literally like pictures of a DS screen with the Pokemon in the pokedex or something. Man, gen 4. Those were the first games I ever bought for myself without having to wait for Christmas or my birthday. That was right around when I started my first job and was able to buy both Diamond and Pearl on release from a now long dead K-Mart in town. Heh, never thought the good times would end.

I found the site around 2006 I think, when there were rumors Gligar was getting an evolution, but the image shown was actually Drapion I believe.

I had skipped Gen III after seeing a classmate playing Ruby. I remember thinking the new Pokémon looked awful lol and that Groudon and Kyogre looked like Digimon instead haha But my cousins and I were catching up at the time with FireRed and XD. None of us owned a DS though, so I had to wait till the end of 2007 to buy Pearl. I actually bought it on Thanksgiving, at a KMart too. But I didn't get the DS until Christmas. Then I got Emerald to get the missing Hoenn Pokémon.

K Mart and Target were always my choice to buy videogames. I hate the long lines at GameStop. I still have a DS case/bag with Giratina they gave me at KMart for buying MD Explorers of Sky the furst week it came out. It's gonna be 10 years and I still have it but now I use it for my 3DS. That particular store closed a few years ago though ☹ I found out when I went to buy Moon.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Quick, someone post pics of the shores in the Wild Area to see how that gets "rationalised".

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
8 years ago, from a series nowhere near as successful
1341839220_839220_000016_album_normal.jpg
Looks worse.

It admittedly looks better when in sunny weather but this is from 2 years ago on the same hardware
Xenoblade-Chronicles-2.jpg

X on the Wii U from 4 years ago is equally unfavorable to Pokemon.

Look, I know visuals and animation aren't everything, but you have to consider that the core gameplay of Pokemon is essentially unchanged since the Phys/Spec split. Nobody is worried about the core RPG elements. However, we've been having content stripped away for years now, and losing out on hundreds of Pokemon is the final straw. If the games looked like Pic related, I might get it, might even be totally cool with it. But with what we got? Hell fucking no man. Unacceptable in 2019.

Different style. Pokemon is way more cartoony.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you!

Nothing comes of it. One person likes the way it looks and others don't. How do you have a decent conversation about that? I just rather not talk about it and if something I think looks good I say it looks good.
it's almost like justifying cut content to players of a series that's exclusive to handhelds with promises of improved graphics was a bad idea to begin with

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It admittedly looks better when in sunny weather but this is from 2 years ago on the same hardware
Xenoblade-Chronicles-2.jpg

X on the Wii U from 4 years ago is equally unfavorable to Pokemon.

Look, I know visuals and animation aren't everything, but you have to consider that the core gameplay of Pokemon is essentially unchanged since the Phys/Spec split. Nobody is worried about the core RPG elements. However, we've been having content stripped away for years now, and losing out on hundreds of Pokemon is the final straw. If the games looked like Pic related, I might get it, might even be totally cool with it. But with what we got? Hell fucking no man. Unacceptable in 2019.

To be fair, Xenoblade 2 runs at a dynamic 720p, 30fps with drops, more so in that area due to a memory leak that they didn't fix. Do we even know the resolution and frame rate that Pokemon is targeting?

8 years ago, from a series nowhere near as successful
1341839220_839220_000016_album_normal.jpg

I got one better.

latest

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Pretty sure the Wild Area won't look that empty, they're just not showing all the new Pokémon.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see this need to shit on everything Pokémon and Game Freak when really it's just one decision people are upset with. Hone in on that.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I don't see this need to shit on everything Pokémon and Game Freak when really it's just one decision people are upset with. Hone in on that.

They justified this decision on "quality"

Do you really think anyone here would be this severe with graphics and framerates on a Pokemon game if they hadn't said anything?

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Has anyone else found it hard to motivate themselfs to play the older games since they announced this on tuesday. I was playing collesuem but can't bring myself to finish it, and its the first time I've played it too.

Yeah I was planning to fill the "national Pokedex" in UltraSun so I don't lose all my Pokemon from one version (Moon) after transferring them to SwSh (lol) and I was planning to get virtual console Gold or Silver to spend lots of hours for a chance to get Shiny Celebi. I think that won't be worthy anymore, at least not for a long time.

XCKingBrent

Jun 13, 2019
It's all related though. They cut out a SIGNIFICANT amount of content (hell, not even just content, the main point of the series) in order to provide "improved quality." And people aren't impressed with it, so why did we lose all that content in the first place? If less Pokemon is the future, then we expect so much more than this. Simple as that.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So because I have a opinion that I think the games looks good and would rather discuss anything else I'm some shill? Because I don't put much weight on graphics at all for any game.

Sword and Shield has its problems but I don't think graphics is one of them especially coming off of Sun/Moon. I think the visuals are a massive improvements.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Thank you!

Nothing comes of it. One person likes the way it looks and others don't. How do you have a decent conversation about that? I just rather not talk about it and if something I think looks good I say it looks good.
Game Freak have basically invited this kind of criticism because it's one of their excuses for cutting the Pokemon. And even if you like the way Sword and Shield looks (which is perfectly valid!)...it's not up for debate that it could (and should) be so much better. The hardware is more than capable of it. So what is the excuse for arguably Nintendo's top franchise to look this way?

From my point of view - fans have been giving Game Freak a pass on stuff like this for far too long. It's exactly how they've managed to get away with cutting cool fan-favourite features in every new game, and why their tech is so far behind the competition. They've condition the fanbase to just deal with the bad stuff because the good things are so fun! But now they're taking out most of the Pokemon in each game, all while wanting to charge us $20 more. It's messed up, and this backlash is the only thing that might get through to them.

I happen to think the graphics look fine.
So yeah...even if you're personally satisfied with the graphics of Sword and Shield - that doesn't stop them from being objectively about a decade (if not more) behind the times. People calling that out is probably a good thing if we want Game Freak to actually improve.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018
Is the pokemon community just....like.....of course thisd happen sooner or later guys.

Graphics are getting better and the number of pokemon are increasing. It also doesn't effect a large population of the audience that just goes game by game at all

I mean they have like actual models they need to animate more now that they are (finallly) see able on map. Something i think long term will be better for the series

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Is the pokemon community just....like.....of course thisd happen sooner or later guys.

Graphics are getting better and the number of pokemon are increasing. It also doesn't effect a large population of the audience that just goes game by game at all
They literally made the models of pokemon future proof so things like this won't happen. It also goes against the reason bank and home are created

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People can make themselves heard without doing such things. I'll continue to fight to get them added back in to the game in time, but I'm doing it the right way, not the wrong way.
You'll continue to fight? That's implies you started in the first place.

You've spent most of your posts in this thread chastising people upset with the decision. As per usual.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak have basically invited this kind of criticism because it's one of their excuses for cutting the Pokemon. And even if you like the way Sword and Shield looks (which is perfectly valid!)...it's not up for debate that it could (and should) be so much better. The hardware is more than capable of it. So what is the excuse for arguably Nintendo's top franchise to look this way?

From my point of view - fans have been giving Game Freak a pass on stuff like this for far too long. It's exactly how they've managed to get away with cutting cool fan-favourite features in every new game, and why their tech is so far behind the competition. And now they're taking out most of the Pokemon in each game, all while wanting to charge us $20 more.

So yeah, I really don't see the point in trying to defend the graphics of Sw/Sh. Liking them is subjective, sure, but that doesn't stop them from being objectively about a decade (if not more) behind the times.

It is a improvement from Ultra Moon and Sun. Before Sword/Shield the Pokémon series had never been a AAA game series.They just sold like a AAA game series if not better. The series up until this point has been on handheld. Need I remind you of Kukui's weirded melded together 4 fingers on the 3DS?

Right now almost all of you are pissed or fake pissed and just nit picking because you're pissed or just trolling. Do not take that last comment personally, recently I've gotten into a debate with users on Era thinking they were serious and having a serious conversation with them and it turned out that they were trolling for the lulz.

Most importantly, y'all are dragging me into a conversation about graphics. I am flat out telling all of you that I don't care about this conversation. I think it looks good. You may not, if you don't feel free to have that conversation but leave me out of it. That's what initially wanted to get across to that first user who quoted me talking about visuals except he was a rude little shit so I replied like a asshole.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018
They literally made the models of pokemon future proof so things like this won't happen. It also goes against the reason bank and home are created
It is impossible to completely future proof a model man. Yeah maybe less work to adapt to HD then something like cloud strife but when there are 600+ pokemon? And they are now having them have AI/animation on map? Even if game freak was much larger itd be an unreasonable amount of work to expect imo

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

Does it go against or just not line up perfectly? Banked/homed Pokemon could easily still useful down the road even if not with this specific title.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
"It was bound to happen someday". Yeah maybe. If they hadn't, you know, began to take precautions and prepared for moments like these.

Also I think the graphics are okay. I think they could be so much better. But I'm not here for graphics, I'm here for the Pokemon problem.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
It is impossible to completely future proof a model man. Yeah maybe less work to adapt to HD then something like cloud strife but when there are 600+ pokemon? And they are now having them have AI/animation on map? Even if game freak was much larger itd be an unreasonable amount of work to expect imo
Literally no Pokemon game ever had every Pokemon catchable in a single game. Stop using this argument since it was never the case to begin with

Apr 27, 2019
So because I have a opinion that I think the games looks good and would rather discuss anything else I'm some shill? Because I don't put much weight on graphics at all for any game.

Sword and Shield has its problems but I don't think graphics is one of them especially coming off of Sun/Moon. I think the visuals are a massive improvements.
What you said was that it's pointless to ever comment on a game's graphics unless they look good. If you're not able to see how that kind of mentality is anathema to discussion, then yeah, you are absolutely a shill, dude.

Oct 26, 2017
I would personally be okay with a 200 Pokemon game (100 new ones) with good animations, but like.

The animation in Sword/Shield sucks real bad.

Look at how unnaturally these Pokemon change direction.

Over what air currents are these Pokemon even floating above.

Aug 29, 2018
These animations and models all existed in Gen VII and are currently in use for Pokemon Go
[/QUOT
Fair enough but my point of this being an inevitability when you account for technological advance + increased pokemon still it just seems to make sense to me.Maybe they arent investing as much as they could though, they make a lot I'm not super up to date so not sure

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Nobody's seriously expecting all 800+ pokemon to be available to catch in the wild area (with the AI/animation on the map). No generation had the ability to encounter and capture every Pokemon. The point is that any Pokemon not in the Galar region will be available to transfer to the game.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Even if game freak was much larger itd be an unreasonable amount of work to expect imo
It really isn't. As an example - look at Assassins Creed. Those games are damn near yearly releases at this point, and are all much, much bigger than Pokemon games. They have bigger budgets, are made by much larger teams...and sell less than Pokemon.

If Game Freak wanted to have all of the Pokemon in this game, they could. But those profit margins are too sweet!

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Can someone explain to me in the year 2019 with a console such as Switch why they couldn't just update the game with the rest of the Pokemon at a later date?

If they want to sell this Pokemon Home service wouldn't it be in their best interest to try and get every Pokemon in the game? A lot of this reaction would be lessened if they simply communicated they will update the game.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I love how people keep coming into this thread and saying things like "We all knew this was going to happen eventually" when Game Freak never gave us any indication that this would ever be the case.

From Gen 3 onward, we've been able to transfer every single Pokemon forward. In Gen 6, they actually had to make new models for every single Pokemon, but still allowed us to do this. We had to pay 5 dollars a month for Bank. When they announced Home, we all figured it was implied to work the same way Bank did. EVERY SINGLE Pokemon would be able to be transferred to the new games, just like before. Reminder that Home is a paid service, and may even cost more than Bank.

The fact that they hid this announcement in a Treehouse Stream, after tons of people had stopped watching, instead of announcing it when they announced Home, or in the three different presentations that featured this game, shows that they definitely didn't want this to be big news, which also feels underhanded.

People are allowed to criticize the graphics in here, I'm not sure why people are trying to silence that. When using phrases like "graphical fidelity" as reasons that Pokemon are being culled entirely, you kind of call attention to the graphics themselves, something Pokemon has never excelled at, and Sword and Shield don't seem to be breaking that trend.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
The back on forth on the last page is so weird. The new Pokemon games do look inexcusably shoddy and the only response to this seems to be "cmon, they're not THAT ugly"

like what?? ok?

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
We can go around in circles about whether the animations look good or not, or whether the game's graphics are adequate etc, but it's a moot discussion.

But I think almost everyone agrees on two points:

1. Compatibility with every Pokemon is more important than particularly nice graphics or animation.

2. It is technically possible to include all of the pokemon in some way, even if that involves cutting some corners (or their profit margins). It's not even remotely impossible.

XCKingBrent

Jun 13, 2019
It is a improvement from Ultra Moon and Sun. Before Sword/Shield the Pokémon series had never been a AAA game series.They just sold like a AAA game series if not better. The series up until this point has been on handheld. Need I remind you of Kukui's weirded melded together 4 fingers on the 3DS?

Right now almost all of you are pissed or fake pissed and just nit picking because you're pissed or just trolling. Do not take that last comment personally, recently I've gotten into a debate with users on Era thinking they were serious and having a serious conversation with them and it turned out that they were trolling for the lulz.

Most importantly, y'all are dragging me into a conversation about graphics. I am flat out telling all of you that I don't care about this conversation. I think it looks good. You may not, if you don't feel free to have that conversation but leave me out of it. That's what initially wanted to get across to that first user who quoted me talking about visuals except he was a rude little shit so I replied like a asshole.

>Fake pissed
>Nit picking
>trolling

Could just be that we're tired of the largest media franchise in the world cutting corners on not only quality content, but now the main meat of the games, for little to nothing in return. Could be that we want to see one of our favorite series be the best that it can be, not just for us, but for everybody. Could be that we're upset that Bank and Home are shaping up to be a huge "screw you" to consumers. Could be that we're tired of the blatant lies from Masuda and co. I'm not pissed, nit picking, or trolling. I'm disappointed, critiquing, and discussing. Big difference.

Also you make it sound like I insulted your mother or something, don't be so dramatic dude.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me in the year 2019 with a console such as Switch why they couldn't just update the game with the rest of the Pokemon at a later date?

If they want to sell this Pokemon Home service wouldn't it be in their best interest to try and get every Pokemon in the game? A lot of this reaction would be lessened if they simply communicated they will update the game.
I think Game Freak has expressed that they don't want to do updates like that.
They would also rather sell you a new version of a same game 1 or 2 years later than update something from free. I'm not trying to be super cynical here, but it's literally their MO.

Besides, if they're able to pull this off that means going forward each game will require a little less work that what would have originally be planned.
If they were going to have to patch it and add it later, that's still development time that they're trying to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.