Only Pokémon in Galar Pokédex can be transferred to Sword & Shield from Pokémon Home; similar restrictions intended for subsequent titles

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The shot of weavile (in the direct) looking at its hands while it's dynamaxed has got to be a new animation right? That's at least something but like arcanine and steelix didn't seem to have anything like that, so the prospect of "hey certain pokemon, probably only the ones that are already popular and have the body shape for it may have a new idle animation for 3 turns" doesn't exactly seem like a worthwhile priority

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
The TCG analogy doesn't work because there's actually an official format that supports every card ever.
Well, Pokémon Home will be the analogy to such format lol That will support every Pokémon ever.

I won't hold my breath, but I wish it eventually, even if takes years, gets some sort of Pokedex mode that allows us to see every Pokémon's 3D models from every angle, kinda like the Pokedex 3D pro, even if not every Pokémon appears on a main game.

I suppose at launch it will only have those washed out 2D images from ORAS that the Pokémon Bank currently uses, if not just the pixelated menu sprites.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I won't hold my breath, but I wish it eventually, even if takes years, gets some sort of Pokedex mode that allows us to see every Pokémon's 3D models from every angle,
Pokemon Go is halfway there.

And by this time next year, there is a very real chance it will have more available Pokemon than the newest core entries in the franchise.

Sou Da

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I'm outta here until something of note happens, this is just going in circles now.

Get some help Fj.

bricewgilbert

Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
If you ignore the N64 and Gamecube 3D projects (which I will since the industry was in a different place then) it has been around 8 years since they started working on 3D models. How is there not a team devoted to just working on the models and animations for every game? Like a shared library? Each team working on a Pokemon thing can then use those and then add custom animations that are needed for their specific games if they have a Pokemon amie or whatever. I know there are a dozens of different ways this could go, but it just seems like one of those things where management either at Gamefreak or whoever sits down and goes "how should we deal with this potential problem?" and instead they just dealt with it the worst way possible. Hire more people, delay the game, spend time to future proof. They have the money to both make a better experience and treat their employees well, and it's not like people are hurting for more Pokemon content. It really does sound like stupid managers (what a shock!)

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

N64 Trees are just to make sure PS2 trees stand out more
I've said it before lol but I think I would've preferred that kind of tree in the background for all the trees. That cartoonish style not only fits Pokémon better, but I think (?) would've been easier, faster to do for the entire world (And maybe they wouldn't have had to cut on other areas...).

I think that fantasy look can create beautiful styles in a much more simpler way and they could use any kind of texture or shape to create the world they wanted to. If the hyperrealistic look isn't perfect, all the flaws like the tree trunk texture everybody mocks, just stands out more than everything else that might be well done.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The shot of weavile (in the direct) looking at its hands while it's dynamaxed has got to be a new animation right? That's at least something but like arcanine and steelix didn't seem to have anything like that, so the prospect of "hey certain pokemon, probably only the ones that are already popular and have the body shape for it may have a new idle animation for 3 turns" doesn't exactly seem like a worthwhile priority
Even then, things like dynamax getting adjusted animations or not wasn't going to matter for Pokemon not in the regional dex since dynamax 'mons have to be caught in the wild in raid mode. Like I pointed out earlier in this thread, so far the best possible answer to the animations being the reason for the cut has got to be the animations for the leaked camping feature. It's probably going to be a bit more complex than Pokemon-Amie but there were better ways around it without cutting Pokemon, like not allowing non-regional Pokemon to camp. They can easily make the excuse that the non-regional Pokemon don't like camping.

I'd also like to mention that non-regional Pokemon wouldn't even be able to get into the game until Pokemon Home is released, so they can work on adding these missing Pokemon and their needed animations then patch them into the game around Home's launch.

Fj0823

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I've said it before lol but I think I would've preferred that kind of tree in the background for all the trees. That cartoonish style not only fits Pokémon better, but I think (?) would've been easier, faster to do for the entire world (And maybe they wouldn't have had to cut on other areas...).

I think that fantasy look can create beautiful styles in a much more simpler way and they could use any kind of texture or shape to create the world they wanted to. If the hyperrealistic look isn't perfect, all the flaws like the tree trunk texture everybody mocks, just stands out more than everything else that might be well done.
I absolutely agree with you. The cartoonish style just fits better than whatever the hell is going on here.

Apocrypha

Oct 28, 2017
If you ignore the N64 and Gamecube 3D projects (which I will since the industry was in a different place then) it has been around 8 years since they started working on 3D models. How is there not a team devoted to just working on the models and animations for every game? Like a shared library? Each team working on a Pokemon thing can then use those and then add custom animations that are needed for their specific games if they have a Pokemon amie or whatever. I know there are a dozens of different ways this could go, but it just seems like one of those things where management either at Gamefreak or whoever sits down and goes "how should we deal with this potential problem?" and instead they just dealt with it the worst way possible. Hire more people, delay the game, spend time to future proof. They have the money to both make a better experience and treat their employees well, and it's not like people are hurting for more Pokemon content. It really does sound like stupid managers (what a shock!)
Creatures are the modelers and according to them they were making future proof models and we can see that from the high poly model rips from the games.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I’m glad we’ve established pointing out bad textures is more toxic than telling someone to “get some help” over complaining about a video game.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
How is there not a team devoted to just working on the models and animations for every game? Like a shared library? Each team working on a Pokemon thing can then use those and then add custom animations that are needed for their specific games if they have a Pokemon amie or whatever. I know there are a dozens of different ways this could go, but it just seems like one of those things where management either at Gamefreak or whoever sits down and goes "how should we deal with this potential problem?" and instead they just dealt with it the worst way possible. Hire more people, delay the game, spend time to future proof. They have the money to both make a better experience and treat their employees well, and it's not like people are hurting for more Pokemon content. It really does sound like stupid managers (what a shock!)
Exactly. Like, why isn't there a Pokemon model and animation dedicated team? That does nothing but that. Creatures does side games sometimes and don't seem to constantly keep working on models.

Like, dude, GF, this is what puts food on the table.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Even then, things like dynamax getting adjusted animations or not wasn't going to matter for Pokemon not in the regional dex since dynamax 'mons have to be caught in the wild in raid mode. Like I pointed out earlier in this thread, so far the best possible answer to the animations being the reason for the cut has got to be the animations for the leaked camping feature. It's probably going to be a bit more complex than Pokemon-Amie but there were better ways around it without cutting Pokemon, like not allowing non-regional Pokemon to camp. They can easily make the excuse that the non-regional Pokemon don't like camping.

I'd also like to mention that non-regional Pokemon wouldn't even be able to get into the game until Pokemon Home is released, so they can work on adding these missing Pokemon and their needed animations then patch them into the game around Home's launch.
You know, I don't even think it was a lack of ideas of how to implement it, or because the Switch couldn't handle it, or that they ran out of time. I think they could've perfectly do it if it was on their initial plans. They're just "future proofing" for when the amount of Pokemon is actually too much to handle. If they included all the Pokemon in Gen VIII, there wouldn't be excuse for Gen IX to include them all too (if it comes out for the Switch too), so they just took the decision now instead of waiting till there's 1000 creatures.