• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
PoliteMindlessBactrian-small.gif

tumblr_ovcozyfDES1wrpi51o1_500.gif

1200px-Wingull_anime.png
Recently we've seen them just glide. Yeah you can find examples otherwise but predominantly they glide. Calm down.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
They do it in fighting games all the time. In naruto ultimate ninja storm 3 you can fight the undead strongest ninjas of their villages but none of them are playable you can just battle against them once, it would be the same concept here.
That would feel rather insulting considering the nature of Pokemon. NPC Fighting game characters are usually either made as a boss or don't have full movesets (or both). With how Pokemon works if those Pokemon are in then they'd already need all the same battle animations that usable Pokemon have.

OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see how long that lasts. And again that was after you beat the League. You still had restrictions the rest of the game. (read: most the game). Gamefreak says a lot of things lol
Here's what many people don't seem to get.
This was Gamefreak getting ahead of the things and letting people know that they don't plan on doing that.

We already knew we wouldn't have access to all Pokémon since Home was not launching with Sword & Shield.
X & Y and Sun & Moon did not launch with access to all Pokémon, as Bank did not support them at launch. The same applies to Sword & Shield.
The difference now is that they wanted everyone to know that they made the decision to only keep the Pokémon in the Galar Pokédex accessible in Sword & Shield. This is the direction they wanted the franchise to go.

They could have decided to patch in the other Pokémon when Home launched, but they decided against it and for the foreseeable future.
And once again, nothing in the Famitsu interview contradicts what they said in Treehouse (as above). The wording is a bit different, but the sentiment is the same.

This is why we're raising a stink, so they do decide to patch in support.
If not in this, then at least prioritize it for future titles.

Again, nobody expected all Pokémon at launch.

Oct 28, 2017
They do it in fighting games all the time. In naruto ultimate ninja storm 3 you can fight the undead strongest ninjas of their villages but none of them are playable you can just battle against them once, it would be the same concept here.
Hmm, good example you'd be correct in normal play then. Although, depending on the code you could possibly use said "boss" mon if you broke into the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
At absolute worst, if there are any upper or remakes, I can 100% see them putting a patch out with the Pokémon they added in those games for full compatibility.
I'm not sure I see it happening, but they could totally package those newer games with the patch included on the card to distribute players attempting to connect in local play using older games.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Recently we've seen them just glide. Yeah you can find examples otherwise but predominantly they glide. Calm down.
Seriously? Calm down? How patronising can you be? Do you consider being responded to an attack?

You posted something incorrect in an attempt to excuse Game Freak's shoddy animations, and were immediately proven wrong. One of those is a gif from ORAS (which is far from old). Just...lol.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not sure I see it happening, but they could totally package those newer games with the patch included on the card to distribute players attempting to connect in local play using older games.
Switch can distribute patches over local wireless, yeah.

Seriously? Calm down? How patronising can you be? Do you consider being responded to an attack?

You posted something incorrect in an attempt to excuse Game Freak's shoddy animations, and were immediately proven wrong. One of those is a gif from ORAS (which is far from old). Just...lol.
I just used a poor choice of words. I should have said predominantly rather than just. However, the point stands that Wingull's animation in other formats is predominantly just gliding.

You're just looking at reasons to take shots at me.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, with them refusing to patch the data for new Megas into XY or the new Pokemon from USUM into SM I don't see them bothering patching Pokemon in for compatibility with newer games.

Oct 28, 2017
Here's what many people don't seem to get.
This was Gamefreak getting ahead of the things and letting people know that they don't plan on doing that.

We already knew we wouldn't have access to all Pokémon since Home was not launching with Sword & Shield.
X & Y and Sun & Moon did not launch with access to all Pokémon, as Bank did not support them at launch. The same applies to Sword & Shield.
The difference now is that they wanted everyone to know that they made the decision to only keep the Pokémon in the Galar Pokédex accessible in Sword & Shield. This is the direction they wanted the franchise to go.

They ciould have decided to patch in the other Pokémon when Home launched, but they decided against it and for the foreseeable future.
And once again, nothing in the Famitsu interview contradicts what they said in Treehouse (as above). The wording is a bit different, but the sentiment is the same.

This is why we're raising a stink, so they do decide to patch in support.
If not in this, then at least prioritize it for future titles.

Again, nobody expected all Pokémon at launch.
Yeah it' sad, there's hope but it's slim.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
pokemon_go_safari_zone_increased_spawns_of_wingull_flying_in_the_sky.jpg

People shouldn't care whether Wingull glide or not, point is it looks fucking awful and zero work was done on that animation since it's creation for Sun and Moon.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
It's quite interesting because while creating/HDfing 800+ completely different creature models with individual animations, textures, rigging, effects etc each is not an easy task by any means they have had over 3 years to prepare for this moment.
With Pokémon being the massive brand it is you'd think their priority would literally be making sure all Pokémon are available at some point. Maybe not at launch, that's perfectly fine (to cut them some slack) but adding them over time at least should be a thing.

This is not a niche franchise where the effort wouldn't be worth it. Nope, it's a franchise that sells on average 10+ million units with every new game so it's a baffling these kind of restrictions even exist to begin with.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's quite interesting because while creating/HDfing 800+ completely different creature models with individual animations, textures, rigging, effects etc each is not an easy task by any means they have had over 3 years to prepare for this moment.
They're using the same models and animations from 2013's XY games. Very little work is actually being done in this area, which is another reason people are pissed about this. Even their justification for removing the Pokemon makes no sense.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Switch can distribute patches over local wireless, yeah.

I just used a poor choice of words. I should have said predominantly rather than just. However, the point stands that Wingull's animation in other formats is predominantly just gliding.

You're just looking at reasons to take shots at me.
Joe you have to stop, it's genuinely embarrassing. I know you don't agree with Gamefreak's decision but come on

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Joe you have to stop, it's genuinely embarrassing. I know you don't agree with Gamefreak's decision but come on
If this was the case with every flying Pokémon, I'd agree. However it's not. Gliding is a trait that is commonly seen with Wingull. It's the run animation that people insist they should just use. People are just cherrypicking further "problems" with the game and focusing on it as if it's the norm.

I disagree with the decision here, but I'm not going to chastise them for things that aren't actually an animation fault.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Taking out a feature that has been a staple in every game prior is anti-consumer.
If this were something with no precedent, you could make the claim of your example.

Fam, anti-consumer suggests that a decision that negatively impacts the consumer has been made purely for the company's benefit, in most cases financial gain.

This is not a good example of anti-consumer practice, I'm sorry.

Again, and because I know some of you are going to purposely misread my comments as 'defending' Game Freak, I think this is as stupid as the rest of you. I'm sick and tired of the shit Game Freak pull with the Pokémon games. I just take issue with the flagrant misuse of the word anti-consumer in this forum, especially as someone who works in game development.

Not every bad decision made by developers or companies is done to fuck you over, intentionally or otherwise.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If this was the case with every flying Pokémon, I'd agree. However it's not. Gliding is a trait that is commonly seen with Wingull. It's the run animation that people insist they should just use. People are just cherrypicking further "problems" with the game and focusing on it as if it's the norm.
Wait...I think you're just mistaking what people are taking issue with, Joe.

Wingull gliding is not the issue. Of course Wingull predominately glides. The reason people are critical of that animation is because they're hovering a foot off the ground. Without moving. Must be some real interesting air currents that are letting them do that. Not to mention rotating on the spot. It looks super cheap and unnatural, and that's what people are criticising.

If Game Freak want to pull the 'focusing on better animation' excuse, then Wingull is definitely an example of how silly that claim is.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
One constructive way to keep this thread on the first page without delving into circular GF bashing is maybe turning this into a "not-yet-confirmed to be in the Galar Dex mons appreciation thread".

I'll start. Gliscor is really cool. So is Scyther (who's probably in anyway lol).

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
WINGULL LOCATIONS IN GEN VI AND VII:
eC5igO4.png

Can't wait to see him again!

Ducklett and Swanna could easily have acted as a replacement for Wingull, especially given Galar is based on the UK. But maybe they are also in and we just haven't seen them yet.

And also leak stuff
Apparently we are getting another seagull that catches a barracuda in its mouth. Although it could very easily be something like a gannet, tern, or maybe even a puffin and the person leaking just thought it was something like a seagull. (Also not convinced it will be a barracuda, I think it could just be a pike or something.)

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.
Bank is not a one time charge, it is a permanent subscription.
And they have no other option, you cant communicate a 3DS and a Switch, the same way you couldnt comunicate a 3DS and a DS.
This is not some evil master plan. They just have to change the way of transfering Pokemon, due to the way Nintendo changes hardware.
Complain about the innability of transferring Pokemon, but the notion that Gamefreak made a plan since the DS days to charge more and more money is ridiculous.
I don't know If someone told you this before but you actually can connect a 3DS and a Switch by Internet. Monster Hunter XX on Japan has crossplay between the two consoles.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If ever since working on pokedex 3D models there's been a dedicated team working exclusively on modelling and animating mons 40 hours a week, why the hell are they the exact same in XY and USUM?

It makes you wonder. Let's be super generous and assume that it takes a full week for a professional to model and animate a single Pokemon. A modest team of 15 should be able to deliver new models for the entire dex every year.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It makes you wonder. Let's be super generous and assume that it takes a full week for a professional to model and animate a single Pokemon. A modest team of 15 should be able to deliver new models for the entire dex every year.

If its outsourced to Creatures, then its more a matter of management and investment rather than inhouse developers not making enough.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I disagree with the decision here, but I'm not going to chastise them for things that aren't actually an animation fault.

Look, I see what you mean, but even Pokémon Go made the gliding animation of Wingull look more dynamic and SwSh does.

Seriously, boot up Go, and look for yourself, it actually looks like it's gliding there.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Wingull has always been gliding. Even in the anime it just glides than flaps its wings.

I was pretty sure I had seen Wingull flapping its wings before, so I went to check and Bulbapedia shows me that in its very first appearance (RS) it had its wings bended like they're flapping on its back sprite. Same for DP front sprite and all of gen 4's back sprites too, and even some spin offs like Pinball RS and Pokepark.

As I understand, its 3D model doesn't flap wings because that's how basically all of the flying Pokemon were as of XY, saying it always glides like it's some design choice isn't really an excuse when it's obvious they simply didn't care (or chose to prioritize something else) for updating the animation to look better on that context.

I had this discussion in another thread, I don't particularly think the game looks bad, I think it has a few rough spots that show GF is inexperienced in HD development and 3D games in general, but this is one of their first HD games, so they can get better. BUT little details like this would go a long way to show the game is being handled with care, the world looks fine but then you have these egregious looking flying animations that will probably be the same for all other flying Pokemon, when they could have simply fixed the animation for those (wouldn't be many, only flying Pokemon that had a 3D model on XY and are in this game and can be found roaming). The animation like it is looks comically bad, makes it feel amateurish.

I'm not even one of the people upset with the visuals or cut Pokemon, I just think it's time for GF to show they are professionals and care about polishing their game, it would help their reputation a lot.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Its animated that way in the anime often because that's what its supposed to be in the pokedex aka:
"This POKéMON rides the winds and flies as if it were skating across the sky." "it soars as if it were a glider. It folds its wings to rest."
The problem is the low altitude game encounters don't really mix well with that concept.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wingull would look less silly if it had a larger turning circle, instead of almost instantly changing direction.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
3DS will also interact with Switch in regards to Pokémon, as you can transfer from Bank to Home.

Home literally does not need to exist. Gamefreak could just put Bank on Switch and have both consoles access the same bank of Pokemon boxes, and have the Switch version speak to LGPE and S/S but they would rather rename it and charge you again.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Wingull would look less silly if it had a larger turning circle, instead of almost instantly changing direction.

i.e. absolutely no effort was made on it looking good, they just threw the model there with the animation it had and called it a day.

I know it's not the end of the world, it's just one animation, but still how can anyone defend this particular instance?

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
This is one of the reasons why I'd rather have random encounters. It's unrealistic to expect the devs to place each Pokémon species in places in which they would belong (instead of them just appearing in grass/caves/water), and for the Pokémon to feature custom animations tailor-made for that combination of Pokémon and locale.

The more complex option is much more immersive, but the workload would cause even more problems and cuts.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Flying Pokémon should either be encounters where they target you from high above where you can't see them, or you target them while they're roosted on the ground or a tree.

Like, look at seagulls in real life, they land on the ground all of the time.

Game Freak added food items to this game, they could have brought back bait to attract flying types to land in certain areas.

This shit just looks dumb.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Flying Pokémon should either be encounters where they target you from high above where you can't see them, or you target them while they're roosted on the ground or a tree.
Yup, more or less the same way they were encountered in SuMo. Annoying as they were, GF had the right idea with those encounter types, but people wanted to see roaming Pokémon, and here we are.

At this point, I'd rather see them ditch all the modular systems that are costly to both implement and animate. Roaming Pokémon, amie, campsite, even ridable Pokémon. Throw it all into the trash.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
As I understand, its 3D model doesn't flap wings because that's how basically all of the flying Pokemon were as of XY, saying it always glides like it's some design choice isn't really an excuse when it's obvious they simply didn't care (or chose to prioritize something else) for updating the animation to look better on that context.
That's not the case. Many Flying-types flap wings so yes, it is a design choice. You can also see it gliding most of the time in the anime

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, more or less the same way they were encountered in SuMo. Annoying as they were, GF had the right idea with those encounter types, but people wanted to see roaming Pokémon, and here we are.

At this point, I'd rather see them ditch all the modular systems that are costly to both implement and animate. Roaming Pokémon, amie, campsite, even ridable Pokémon. Throw it all into the trash.

As Pokemon continues it's march towards the endgame, I would like to see further improvements to the overworld and world design. Understandably, that's not an easy endeavor, but a well designed pokemon world is what I look forward to the most.

LuWis

Mar 25, 2019
Um... I know this is a bit off topic but where is corocoro? No leaks? I would have thought they would have something.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Ducklett and Swanna could easily have acted as a replacement for Wingull, especially given Galar is based on the UK. But maybe they are also in and we just haven't seen them yet.

And also leak stuff
Apparently we are getting another seagull that catches a barracuda in its mouth. Although it could very easily be something like a gannet, tern, or maybe even a puffin and the person leaking just thought it was something like a seagull. (Also not convinced it will be a barracuda, I think it could just be a pike or something.)
eh, it wouldn't be UK without obnoxious seagulls.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
As Pokemon continues it's march towards the endgame, I would like to see further improvements to the overworld and world design. Understandably, that's not an easy endeavor, but a well designed pokemon world is what I look forward to the most.
I get the people who would like to see a more believable world, don't get me wrong, but seeing the creatures themselves in their respective biomes with realistic behaviors is super low on my priority list.

Bring back multiple floor dungeons and the puzzle elements the series has lost over the years first. That's what I'd like to see first in a new game, a renewed focus on exploration and discovery. The games being more open or "more like the anime" doesn't make them better per se for me, they need to actually do something with that.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
A Pokemon player with experience in 3D modeling and animation calls out Game Freak for their bullshit reasons on removing Pokemon in Sword and Shield.

For a company that possesses one of the most profitable franchises in the media, in the entire world, you would think that they have the resources to manage the textures for every Pokemon that exists. One of the most profitable franchises in the media in the entire world. Instead, to me, it sounds like they want to cut corners.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
A Pokemon player with experience in 3D modeling and animation calls out Game Freak for their bullshit reasons on removing Pokemon in Sword and Shield.

I agree to an extent but we don't have a full picture here at present to call it bullshit.

At present calling it bullshit is no different to those who claimed there would be no overworld Pokémon last month. We don't have enough information to outright claim it's bullshit.

Um... I know this is a bit off topic but where is corocoro? No leaks? I would have thought they would have something.
It contained the contents of the Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.