• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
a no poor billion dollar franchises marketing plan is facing some pushback, please think about the little guy :((((((((((((((

The guilt trip is so unbelievably bad with GF's defenders. Who even blamed James Turner for the whole Sword and Shield fiasco? Like 4 literal whos on Twitter?

I hate they are taking the moral high ground with this shit. Can't complain about anything with that twisted logic.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
By that logic, saying "#BringBackAllPokemon" doesn't necessarily communicate the idea any better. Like we've already seen people in this forum misconstrue "bringing back all Pokemon" to mean that people want all of them to be catchable in the game, when in reality, it's that they wanted access to all Pokemon in the game via transfers.

i was really surprised, well, only a little surprised, that the tag wasn't something like #allpkmnornopkmn but of course that would require people to be willing to not buy the game if all the pkmn aren't going to be in

it's really sad to think i won't be playing pkmn anymore

tonyh24613

Oct 25, 2017
tbf I don't have faith in Game Freak either. Maybe they just want those annual releases so they don't want bother with DLC. If the backlash can't make them change the policy, I guess USUM will be my last mainline game.

Now what I need is a proper Mystery Dungeon as good as or better than Super.(wink at Spike Chunsoft)
D9KMeUDW4AA8b89.png

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
tbf I don't have faith in Game Freak either. Maybe they just want those annual releases so they don't want bother with DLC. If the backlash can't make them change the policy, I guess USUM will be my last mainline game.

Now what I need is a proper Mystery Dungeon as good as or better than Super.(wink at Spike Chunsoft)
D9KMeUDW4AA8b89.png

Guildmaster Wooloo would be a logical followup to Super
Id hope the name is less corny though

Balmik

May 12, 2019
I feel like without the national dex it kinda of ruins a part of Pokemon for me. I remember spending hours trying to get the 150 Pokemon back in red. I spent hours trying to get kangaskhan in the safari zone since it was the last one I needed. Years later I picked up Pokemon again with Pokemon Heart Gold and that national dex woke up the feeling of wanting to catch them all in me again. I worked on getting all the legendaries legit but lets be honest some of them you had to cheat since you couldn't get them any longer. Could of worked on trading for them but chances are the ones I would got from trading probably were from cheating anyways. Maybe it's me but the regional dexs don't make me want to fill them out like the national.

Does this completely ruin Pokemon for me? No.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
This just popped up in my Twitter feed:

I have no idea who this person is, nor have I seen their video. This is the only report of this I've seen, and could very well be unrelated to the controversy at hand... so needless to say, take with a massive dose of salt. But boy, do I want it to be true... dig that hole deeper, baby! Maybe then, more people will question it.

They could outsource this type of DLC. They can even charge for it and recover the costs.

Here's a question for all of you: would you pay $70 for a Sword/Shield that's compatible with all pokemon?
$70? Some people are already willing to pay $120 for a Sword/Shield that's not compatible with all Pokemon.

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea who this person is, nor have I seen their video. This is the only report of this I've seen, and could very well be unrelated to the controversy at hand... so needless to say, take with a massive dose of salt. But boy, do I want it to be true... dig that hole deeper, baby! Maybe then, more people will question it.

The person you brought up has made a video about the change in design and development philosophy with the Pokemon series. I think it's a great watch just for a general idea of how the series has both evolved and yet strayed away from what made it fun in the first place.

It's a rather strange video to hit considering that it's one and a half years old, and isn't egregious in terms of arguments made. The video has nothing to do with the National Dex controversy either, so it sounds like TPCi is trying to shut down any negative videos about Pokemon.

Feb 24, 2018
I've already said my piece about how I feel about all this, but I wish fans like the one in the above YouTube video wouldn't do "This Pokemon I don't like/Isn't "competitive" enough should be cut!". I've seen where that attitudes leads from seeing that in the Smash community and nothing of good comes from that because as others have said, every Pokemon is someone's favourite and it does nothing but aggravate people even more.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I've already said my piece about how I feel about all this, but I wish fans like the one in the above YouTube video wouldn't do "This Pokemon I don't like/Isn't "competitive" enough should be cut!". I've seen where that attitudes leads from seeing that in the Smash community and nothing of good comes from that because as others have said, every Pokemon is someone's favourite and it does nothing but aggravate people even more.
While the video I posted about that was supposed to be a joke making fun of all those videos, I do apologize for linking it here in the first place if you're referring to mine!

Scorbunny

Jun 14, 2019

The song they used while the pokemon blew up, what is the name of that song? I hear it all the time but don't know what its called xD
And this is why they shouldn't cut pokemon in the first place but this is the problem, now gamefreak are going to chose competitive pokemon or the biggest fan favorites. Will lucario and charizard be in every dex from now on? Bet you my nintendo switch he won't miss a regional dex ever again. But shellos? Well theres the upcoming sinnoh remakes after that though buddy have fun waiting 10 years for the platinum remake. And imagine how pissed people would be if basculin made it in but not milotic. So of course gamefreak has an incentive to prefer some pokemon over others and the fans of those other pokemon are going to have to hope that gamefreak splits the full national dex between the games in a generation, so that maybe next time their favorite makes it in.

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
As I've said, I wouldn't hold my breath. Adding all the Pokémon in SwSh if it's now or later through patches, would mean they're compromising to include all the Pokémon in future games as well, because they would face the same backlash with every upcoming game, especially because there wouldn't be an excuse not to include them later if they're already done for SwSh.

I'm more of the idea they'll resist all the negative reaction now, just once, they will wait to see who remains supporting the franchise despite this change or who ends up buying the games anyways, even if they're not happy (like me) because they still want to experience the game with the new Pokémon, and will move on onto the next release without having to justify themselves again, because people will know beforehand, a full roster isn't appearing on a single game again, ever.

I wish they proved me wrong and they actually saw their mistake, added all the Pokémon through patches and start incorporating all the Pokémon in future games as well. It IS possible, we just need them to take the decision, but I see it very unlikely to happen.

A huge reason for the backlash is that they haven't showed anything that makes up for the cut. The game is just like the games before, an iterative sequel that operates mostly the same as those before it. There is no giant graphical leap, no groudbreaking new addition in terms of how the player interacts with the Pokémon or anything (at least, nothing shown yet). Couple that with the reused animations from the 3DS games and there really is nothing that justifies the decimation. Then there is the whole "Let's Go is for the more casual players! you hardcore fans wait for the next title" which makes it sting even more.

If SwSh (or a future game, for that matter) were really a groudbreaking evolution for the series. I hate to use the term but a "BOTW-like moment", I believe people wouldn't be as upset as they are right now.
The decision to cut Pokémon is inevitable. We're near 1000 creatures. But this is definitely not the way nor timing to do it IMO.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Apologies if this has already been discused, but it's my first time hearing about it:

Serebii said:
Small cool note about SWSH. After defeating the Gym Leader, it cuts to a small animation of you and your current Pokémon celebrating, so every Pokémon has an animation for that. It made both the trainer and Pokémon seem emotive.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I see more posts on Twitter about people mocking the hashtag and saying that all they need is Wooloo now more than thr hashtag itself.

I'm not sure this will survive til release date. I want to be wrong though. Cause I'm tired of waving everything that Game Freak does with an excuse.

I'm still mad lol.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
It sucks how some people have used this whole ordeal as an excuse to complain in the chat for the Pokemon Championships and stuff, as well as complaining to people who aren't involved like Serebii and others. It really doesn't help the image that "Pokemon fans are spoiled!" and stuff other people say all the time. I know it's a minority, but it really is overshadowing the whole point people are mad in the first place.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
A huge reason for the backlash is that they haven't showed anything that makes up for the cut. The game is just like the games before, an iterative sequel that operates mostly the same as those before it. There is no giant graphical leap, no groudbreaking new addition in terms of how the player interacts with the Pokémon or anything (at least, nothing shown yet). Couple that with the reused animations from the 3DS games and there really is nothing that justifies the decimation. Then there is the whole "Let's Go is for the more casual players! you hardcore fans wait for the next title" which makes it sting even more.

If SwSh (or a future game, for that matter) were really a groudbreaking evolution for the series. I hate to use the term but a "BOTW-like moment", I believe people wouldn't be as upset as they are right now.
The decision to cut Pokémon is inevitable. We're near 1000 creatures. But this is definitely not the way nor timing to do it IMO.

I totally agree. I've also stated it before: besides everything else that's been discussed, I think if we all knew a cut was eventually happening in the series, most of us didn't really expect it to happen NOW. I literally thought it would only happen YEARS from now, when the Pokémon Company and the development of the games fell in the hands of newer people.

Not right after the 3DS was able to handle 800+ creatures plus alternative forms, and not when the 3DS games got so much lag and the models looked so pixelated but there was the promise that such models were made in HD so a future console (like the Switch) could handle them without trouble.

I insist, had they planned it since the beginning stages of SwSh to include every existing Pokémon, they could've done it perfectly (maybe cutting in other aspects or taking more development time). I'll be very surprised if with Gen VIII Pokémon we hit the 900 mark. I believe, they just wanted to do it now before the amount of Pokémon actually exceeded the 1000. I'm not buying any of the excuses about balance or animation.

And tbh, maybe I'm just too delusional or innocent (or ignorant), but I've never even seen the 1000 as a limitation. I always thought that as time went by, and technology improved, and new consoles became more and more powerfu, making Pokémon games and handling huge amount of Pokémon characters would become easier and easier for them. If any, I thought generations were just gonna last longer and introduce less and less new Pokémon as we've seen with the past two generations.

I always dismissed comments like that when I read them online, because I was like "as if GF is ever cutting Pokémon, the foundation of the games and franchise". I thought it was as absurd as when people used to say back in Gen IV that it was the end of Pokémon because Arceus was the creator of the universe and they couldn't create anything else beyond that. Especially when Pokémon Bank existed and more recently the announcement of Pokémon Home. To me Pokémon games have always been far from perfect, but I had the hope that inside their bubble they always had that ambition to push the boundaries and limitations and dare to do the unimaginable, make the impossible possible. They've made entertainment out of walking and now sleeping. But now I know they've actually hit their limit, that they're afraid of handling "too many Pokémon" and they have no intention to take that challenge, despite having all the resources in the world if they only wanted it.

And it has nothing to do with them being "lazy" or any of those insulting things some people say, they just don't wanna follow that path. They probably see things that I don't (most of us, actually) and there's sadly nothing we can do but to express our sadness and disappointment, but I seriously doubt they're changing their minds.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
It sucks how some people have used this whole ordeal as an excuse to complain in the chat for the Pokemon Championships and stuff, as well as complaining to people who aren't involved like Serebii and others.

Yeah, if I were Masuda I would never tweet again in my life.

As to your sentiment, the NA International Champion agrees.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It sucks how some people have used this whole ordeal as an excuse to complain in the chat for the Pokemon Championships and stuff, as well as complaining to people who aren't involved like Serebii and others. It really doesn't help the image that "Pokemon fans are spoiled!" and stuff other people say all the time. I know it's a minority, but it really is overshadowing the whole point people are mad in the first place.
Hell, people are spamming my new video and disliking it just because of that

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fans are feeling ignored. Of course they're going to spam official avenues to try and get their voices heard. They need to not harass individuals like Serebii though.

OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Wailord is lighter than air.
People always get this wrong, it wouldn't be a nuclear event.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time?

Not the time when someone threw literal feces in a hallway at a tournament?

People posting hashtags to show their displeasure is what's shameful and direspectful here?

Lol ok

Didn't those players get banned and shunned by the community? That's an example of the community standing up against ugly behavior. How is it a good comparison to this hashtag spam protest?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Didn't those players get banned and shunned by the community? That's an example of the community standing up against ugly behavior. How is it a good comparison to this hashtag spam protest?
No it isnt. The community didnt stand up, the Pokémon Company just banned them for being idiots.

Gotta agree.

It's not, but I'm sure the poster doesn't care.
You're right, I don't care that PR channels are being flooded by a hashtag

I'm not sure why anyone should give a shit

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You are talking to someone who thinks shaming developers and laugh at them is fine. I wouldnt bother.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
No it isnt. The community didnt stand up, the Pokémon Company just banned them for being idiots.

You're right, I don't care that PR channels are being flooded by a hashtag

I'm not sure why anyone should give a shit
It's not about the PR channels, he's talking about people bombarding any tweet about the tournament, as well as the Twitch chat, with the hashtag.
It must've been incredibly annoying for people watching the stream expecting to read and engage with other people and talk about the matches and got, instead, a bunch of Pokémon fans who might not even have been interested in the Internationals at all just spamming the chat non-stop.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You are talking to someone who is thinks shaming developers and laugh at them is fine. I wouldnt bother.
What makes Game Freak so special that they need to be protected by people laughing at their visuals?

Like literally every graphics thread dunks on weak visuals.

Is it just because it's a series you like? A developer you like?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This is the first time?

Not the time when someone threw literal feces in a hallway at a tournament?

People posting hashtags to show their displeasure is what's shameful and direspectful here?

Lol ok
First time for me was early 2014. Pokémon Bank had to get delayed and retooled due to a fault and people couldn't handle it, spammed all social media with "PokéBank When?" constantly, Junichi Masuda subject to lots of abuse, some of it racist.

History repeats

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's not about the PR channels, he's talking about people bombarding any tweet about the tournament, as well as the Twitch chat, with the hashtag.
It must've been incredibly annoying for people watching the stream expecting to read and engage with other people and talk about the matches and got, instead, a bunch of Pokémon fans who might not even have been interested in the Internationals at all just spamming the chat non-stop.
It's supposed to be annoying. That's the entire point. So they can't ignore it. Any avenue that people can get to the Pokémon Company, people are taking it.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What makes Game Freak so special that they need to be protected by people laughing at their visuals?

Like literally every graphics thread dunks on weak visuals.

Is it just because it's a series you like? A developer you like?

They are not special, and I dont need to protect them, but when I see people behaving like bigots, I'm going to call them out.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They are not special, and I dont need to protect them, but when I see people behaving like bigots, I'm going to call them out.
Laughing at weak visuals is bigotry now? Are you serious? Are you in every thread batting for visuals or is it just Pokémon? Cause I would love to see you go in as hard against people laughing at the Avengers game.

Here's the thing: it was annoying to other fans. Do you think Masuda was sitting at his desk reading the tournament Twitch chat?
Do you think Masuda is manning the Pokémon twitter? The Pokémon Channel's youtube comments? It doesn't have to be him seeing him seeing it directly.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory point of comparison over multiple posts in this thread
Laughing at weak visuals is bigotry now? Are you serious?

You said that you are ok with people shaming and laughing at developers, not the visuals.
People are questioning Joe and others all the time with post implying that they are being paid and are shills.
Hell, the other thread closed because people couldnt stop attacking Joe.
All of this has a lot of similarities with a certain community who wanted to make the gaming landscape to be "better" and more "ethic".
So yeah, Im serious.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The entire point of a protest is to make it inconvenient for everyone involved so that the party being targeted has no recourse but to respond in some way. The Pokemon Company could say something but they've chosen radio silence, making it worse for everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.