• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what are people expecting?

Other IPs with huge Bestiaries had to hit the Reset Button for their first HD entries, what made y'all think Pokemon would be any different?

This is the cost of Going HD. Shin Megami Tensei/Persona and Monster Hunter had to pay the price too.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
You don't have to lie to get your point across. The characters have been shown to have a wide array of facial expressions. I also assure you making a model bigger isn't the same as making animations.

Lol when? So far we've only seen the protagonist creepily stare haven't we?

If I'm wrong, I really don't think it's to the degree of a "wide array of facial expressions" but I'm happy to be proven wrong

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
The missing Pokémon were in the code for all of the generation 3 games though
In Ruby and sapphire while some pokemon while not catchable they still existed in the game data and could be traded from fire red for example
This time they are erased altogether from the game
Lemme rephrase that. I played Ruby/Sapphire just fine without the expectation of FireRed/LeafGreen. They were in the "code", but that didn't mean you could play with/use those Pokemon in the adventure. Which is the main issue here for people.

There'll be some game later on, maybe Shield 2/Sword 2, whatever, that people will have to buy for all their content. Business as usual at Game Freak. Thus, I am nonplussed.

E: But that's just me. I think people can definitely be outraged.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the point is effectively when RS came out we had no way of legally obtaining a lot of classic Pokemon and no time frame of when we could.

I know we could eventually trade them back from future Gen III titles down the line so I'm just saying I could see that happening again in some form. To me it's the same concept.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I would straight up take having every Pokemon accessible over wild areas, improved visuals, overworld Pokemon, whatever it is that's apparently necessitating this trade-off.
300px-Monkey_Puppet.jpg

With the exception of only dynamax, I would prefer the new stuff. But that's just me. Hopefully the regional dex is PACKED.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019

Other IPs with huge Bestiaries had to hit the Reset Button for their first HD entries, what made y'all think Pokemon would be any different?

This is the cost of Going HD. Shin Megami Tensei/Persona and Monster Hunter had to pay the price too.

The difference being it's what Pokemon is branded as. Their western catch phrase is "Gotta Catch 'Em All", between the games and the cards it's solely about collecting for a LOT of people. Pokemon hosts events and tournaments where they give away special creatures, and they've set the forward transfer of those creatures as a precedent for two decades.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Dude... I'm aware of that. Don't misunderstand me. I like ALL of the Pokémon. What I'm saying is that this is a design choice. They chose to leave out a bunch of old Pokémon and it has nothing to do with them already having models and animations done. Including all of the old Pokémon would have increased the scope of the game probably further then what they hoped for and it's not just the old Pokémon. It's the new Pokémon on top of that.

They probably have a plan on how they will handle it all and it just isn't revealed to us yet. Hopefully we will get a large number of new Pokémon since we are losing out on a bunch of our old favorites.
...Why would including finished models and finished animations into the postgame have increased the scope of the game

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
The difference being it's what Pokemon is branded as. Their western catch phrase is "Gotta Catch 'Em All", between the games and the cards it's solely about collecting for a LOT of people. Pokemon hosts events and tournaments where they give away special creatures, and they've set the forward transfer of those creatures as a precedent for two decades.
"Gotta Catch Some of Them!" is pretty funny.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Read the thread, the models and animations fo HD were already made since XY

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Game Freak had been honest and up front and said months ago that there would only be a limited number of compatible Pokemon, people probably would have accepted it grudgingly. But they made a big noise about how Pokemon Home would allow you to transport your treasured Pokemon from old games into the new games. That announcement was insane if they knew that this limitation was present, they should have been clear about that from the start.

The concept of Pokemon Home and the limited compatibility of Sword/Shield don't go together. Especially as Masuda said that this was a clear decision taken with regard to future games and not something they planned to improve over time.

I do agree with you to extent. Do you remember or were you around when the initial reveal of Sword/Shield happened?

While it wasn't all negative but a lot of this site knee jerk reaction was negative and was crapping on it as well as other places.

Can you imagine them revealing this info when they reveal Pokémon Home before the June 5th trailer? That would have been a nightmare for them.

Now if you say that they should've revealed this on their June 5th trailer I'll be more inclined to agree.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Dude... we already have the finished models and animations.

You guys keep leaning on the "future proof" work they already did but you are missing key details here

Just because they have useable assetts doesnt mean they want to spend resources to port them over and we dont know what costs or design limitations are associated with this approach

Maybe something went wrong or it doesnt work as smoothly as they thought

Or even simpler they have the capacity but just dont want to go this route anymore by pure choice

Bargain and come up with solutions all ya want

They are raking in hundreds of millions every year, they are not some indie studio hurting for resources
They just always thought they could get away with cutting corners because the Pokemon name would make up for it
Maybe you just missed 75% of the thread repeating the assets and animations were already done since XY

You realize these same points can cut both ways right?

"They are raking in hundreds of millions every year, they are not some indie studio hurting for resources" And Our creative team has decided to dedicate 100% of these resources on all new content and features and other avenues!

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
You guys keep leaning on the "future proof" work they already did but you are missing key details here

Just because they have useable assetts doesnt mean they want to spend resources to port them over and we dont know what costs or design limitations are associated with this approach

Or even simpler they have the capacity but just dont want to go this route anymore by pure choice

Umm they're likely using the same engine they've been using all along so I'm not sure why porting over animations would be prohibitively hard

Oct 25, 2017
The missing Pokémon were in the code for all of the generation 3 games though
people also seem to forget that Gen 3 was the gen of Fire Red and Leaf Green... which (along with having Gen 1 and 2 pokemon) meant that you could conceivably catch everything up to gen 3 IN gen 3. barring something like Mew.
Fire red, leaf green, Ruby, sapphire, and Emerald were all gen 3 games.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019

I don't think anyone is saying this, Most people that are bringing up the animations are to show how clearly bullshit some of the excuses have been so far when it's clear this was a choice they made and not something they were forced into.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lemme rephrase that. I played Ruby/Sapphire just fine without the expectation of FireRed/LeafGreen. They were in the "code", but that didn't mean you could play with/use those Pokemon in the adventure. Which is the main issue here for people.
The point is that it was known that the Pokémon were in the game, just not usable. People were able to hack them in with no issue, which pointed to them being available in the future.

This treehouse stream they specified that anything outside of Galar would not be available. It's not the same situation.

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
people also seem to forget that Gen 3 was the gen of Fire Red and Leaf Green... which (along with having Gen 1 and 2 pokemon) meant that you could conceivably catch everything up to gen 3 IN gen 3. barring something like Mew.
Fire red, leaf green, Ruby, sapphire, and Emerald were all gen 3 games.
Except for, yet again, some Pokemon that were still yet unobtainable until Pokemon Colosseum. Which then HAD to be traded via GBA Link Cable and Gamecube.

Like, guys, history repeats itself. Its all good. Just go with the flow.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You needed Colosseum as well to get all the Gen III Pokemon as I recall.

I think what they did in Generation III was definitely a money grab but I ignored it because I was little and enjoyed the games.

So far I wouldn't go as far to say this decision is a money grab though future events may change that.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone is saying this, Most people that are bringing up the animations are to show how clearly bullshit some of the excuses have been so far when it's clear this was a choice they made and not something they were forced into.

Yeah if they were going to deliver bad news they should just come out and say it plainly

"We are retiring the old roster outside of a few hand selected choices. You may or may not see your favorite pokemon in future titles based on the choices of the creative leads running the projects"

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You realize these same points can cut both ways right?

"They are raking in hundreds of millions every year, they are not some indie studio hurting for resources" And Our creative team has decided to dedicate 100% of these resources on all new content and features and other avenues!
Thanks but I already knew that GF doesn't deserve to handle the franchise since 2013

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
"No such thing" until they make a game that can, or some dumb DLC crap, or w/e money thing they decide, and then you have to buy that.

E: I literally said you guys can be outraged, it's totally on me for not being surprised by it and thus having no issue.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
300px-Monkey_Puppet.jpg

With the exception of only dynamax, I would prefer the new stuff. But that's just me. Hopefully the regional dex is PACKED.
And that's fine, they're doing a lot of cool new things, which is why I'm still getting the games. But if it was my choice, I'd prioritize compatibility because having my collection of Pokemon that I spent forever breeding and training playable in new games is that important to me. And it's not like it must be either or; it doesn't have to be as fast as possible, but if they just said they'd patch the Pokemon in, everything would be fine and we would even need to have this discussion

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
We don't know that for sure.

We can be reasonably sure until they say otherwise.

When SuMo had a delay in transferring, they prepped us for it.

With this? No time-line or mention of future features, and they tried to bury it in a Treehouse rather than something more public. I think until they say something we have pretty good reason to assume it's never coming based on how they've communicated "Down the line" features in the past.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
That they said that is the subject of this very thread

They might buckle to fan pressure and throw you guys a bone with updates... maybe

But im guessing they are going to be more up front in the future when they finally decide to draw the line and move on from draggin the entire roster game to game

Im not even sure they will put in EVERYTHING even if they do cave either

Oct 26, 2017
I fail to see the link between the two.
It's as if I said "I wish that Dynamax didn't exist, I'd rather have the whole game be in pixel art than that clown feature".

They didn't decide to cut the number of available Pokemon because Dynamax took all their time.
It's a design choice. Not a popular one, but a choice.

They specifically mentioned how animations were time consuming and the fact that they have the added power to make Pokemon expressions more evident. You don't think Dynamax with its demands for much bigger Pokemon, cleaner animations (especially factoring in size and its impact on the engine).

Also why are you bringing in pixel art in your example? That's such a false equivalency considering that Dynamax has a direct impact on animation workloads.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That they said that is the subject of this very thread
I mean we don't know the future just like when RS we didn't know how we could get the old Pokemon.

We know you can't transfer Gen VII Pokemon to SS if they're not in the Regional Dex. But I don't think it's impossible you can't get them eventually in another Gen VIII game and there's placeholder data for Gen VIII versions of the cut Pokemon.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
8 months ago:

"We're definitely always thinking of that kind of forward-moving functionality, especially since we've introduced Pokemon Bank," Masuda told GameSpot through an interpreter. "Now, up to Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, you're able to store your Pokemon, and we know they're very important to everyone. I mean, obviously, people would be very sad if they couldn't use their Pokemon in a future game. So, it does get complicated when you talk about the details and we're still figuring it out, but we do have plans to find ways to let players use their Pokemon in the next game."

Masuda was on stage two weeks ago to announce Pokemon Home and state how special that relationship is between trainers and Pokemon.

Lol.

Edit: Holy shit, rewatching it now and he (translator's interpretation) said: And we will of course take great care to preserve the value that each of these Pokemon have to their trainers
So%2BThat%2BWas%2Ba%2BLie%2B19122018081516.jpg

If they cared like they say they do they would have said they would be adding the missing Pokemon for free post launch instead of basically telling us to deal with it.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Remember the jokes about passing down your pokémon to your children when Bank launched? That wont make sense anymore.
By turning every game in its own bubble they are just making another Dragon Quest, FF, SMT or any other random jrpg, passing down your pokémon was always a core value and they even said it again loud and clear two weeks ago.

The games will still sell millions but In the age of social media fanbases are spiteful and have a pretty long memory, by removing the main aspect of what made pokémon its own special jrpg damage *will* happen.
Just think what happened for the Xbox One launch with the "wrong mesage", how about Fallout 76? Or how great companies like Blizzard went from legendary to trash in the general perception in the bat of an eye.

Add to that that Home with the new system may be the scummiest thing they ever did if it works anything like Bank with deletions and it's pretty clear that the general outlook isn't that good.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are raking in hundreds of millions every year, they are not some indie studio hurting for resources
They just always thought they could get away with cutting corners because the Pokemon name would make up for it
Maybe you just missed 75% of the thread repeating the assets and animations were already done since XY

No, I read the entire thread and been knew that. I think you and many others are missing one key detail about the Pokémon game series.

The Pokémon core games were NEVER a triple A series. They were always AA handheld games. They just sell like AAA titles if not better in a lot of cases.

Game Freak is transitioning into the AAA market and for their first game in that market it looks pretty good.

This seems to be a design choice more so then them cutting corners.

...Why would including finished models and finished animations into the postgame have increased the scope of the game

Because for whatever reason that doesn't fit into what they're doing for this game.

We are talking about scope when we haven't seen everything that's in the game. We don't know how many new Pokémon there are and the amount of content in the game. It's easy to see what Game Freak took away without acknowledging what they've revealed so far and what's left for them to reveal.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I get that there is still a hurdle in getting every monster into every future game, but I imagine this can potentially hurt the competitive community by severely limiting what can be used in every game from now on.

Though, honestly? If these games looked like they had the animation fidelity of games like Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution, I'd be a lot more understanding of this direction... But everything we've seen so far with how the Pokemon are animated is exactly the same as the 3DS era of games. There was no jump, so I'm not feeling their reasoning for this news. This makes the visual direction of these games feel even more disappointing, to be honest.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Because for whatever reason that doesn't fit into what they're doing for this game.

We are talking about scope when we haven't seen everything that's in the game. We don't know how many new Pokémon there are and the amount of content in the game. It's easy to see what Game Freak took away without acknowledging what they've revealed so far and what's left for them to reveal.
Why are you so desperate to give them the benefit of the doubt? All we know is that in the very best case scenario half of all Pokemon ever are cut

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But didn't you hear? Masuda's face looked kinda sad when he said it
I think relying on facial expressions is kind of weird especially since I imagine the dude's worn out from travelling from Japan.

I don't think we should use that to judge if he regrets the decision. Honestly Masuda always struck me as a dude stubborn in his ideas for the franchise.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Yknow I just thought of something

necrozma-ultra.jpg

Ultra Necrozma will only ever be available in games with Z crystals

I already said it some pages ago but... remember Spiky-ear Pichu and Cosplay Pikachu?
Now *any* pokémon not used in current promotional material can become like them, except they are stuck into Home and you have to pay to keep them there.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I get that there is still a hurdle in getting every monster into every future game, but I imagine this can potentially hurt the competitive community by severely limiting what can be used in every game from now on.

Though, honestly? If these games looked like they had the animation fidelity of games like Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution, I'd be a lot more understanding of this direction... But everything we've seen so far with how the Pokemon are animated is exactly the same as the 3DS era of games. There was no jump, so I'm not feeling their reasoning for this news. This makes the visual direction of these games feel even more disappointing, to be honest.

Thats the real kicker isnt it?

This game is pretty to be sure but still very much an incremental leap over the 3DS games as far as overall assets go... I dunno I am sure some disagree and there were some seriously avid defenders of this games fidelity leap in the early reveal threads so there is some wiggle room for debate i guess

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I think relying on facial expressions is kind of weird especially since I imagine the dude's worn out from travelling from Japan.

I don't think we should use that to judge if he regrets the decision. Honestly Masuda always struck me as a dude stubborn in his ideas for the franchise.

Sorry, maybe that was unclear. I was being sarcastic lol

I totally agree

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, I read the entire thread and been knew that. I think you and many others are missing one key detail about the Pokémon game series.

The Pokémon core games were NEVER a triple A series. They were always AA handheld games. They just sell like AAA titles if not better in a lot of cases.

Game Freak is transitioning into the AAA market and for their first game in that market it looks pretty good.

This seems to be a design choice more so then them cutting corners.

Does Joe Merrick have two accounts here?

RealDealRusty

Jan 8, 2019
I keep going back and fourth on this. On one hand, I get it, they made a big game and adding all 800 Pokemon must be a huge undertaking. People wanted pokemon in the overworld, and the game to look better, and pokemon to be more detailed. At some point, they probably have to make some sacrifices.

That being said, we don't know how many. Like is there only 400? 200? 700? Depending on that number it might make this a bit easier, but I feel like we'll have primarily the "popular" pokemon.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've also seen folks going "oh Bill Trinen didn't expect to hear that!".

I really don't think this is a late game concession. I think it's purposeful for better or worse and I'd like to wait for a more solid statement before I declare the franchise dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.