• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
What do we realistically think the chances are that they go back on this?

I wonder if this backlash has been stronger than they anticipated. I'm hopeful that a combination of that, and them seeing that people would be mostly OK even if it meant waiting months for them to be patched in as long as they're coming eventually leads them down the path to post-launch support.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if they were going to deliver bad news they should just come out and say it plainly

"We are retiring the old roster outside of a few hand selected choices. You may or may not see your favorite pokemon in future titles based on the choices of the creative leads running the projects"

I would respect them so much if they did this. It's what I would do if I found myself in their situation.

Be honest, upfront, and blunt about it all.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I would still like to see these (apparently jaw-dropping) new animations that keep getting brought up as a defense for this.

This. I'd just like to know what exactly I'm trading my old mons for. Wild Area is great in the context that it wasn't a tradeoff.

If I'll lose access to a good amount of Pokemon I expect much more from this game.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
What do we realistically think the chances are that they go back on this?

I wonder if this backlash has been stronger than they anticipated. I'm hopeful that a combination of that, and them seeing that people would be mostly OK even if it meant waiting months for them to be patched in as long as they're coming eventually leads them down the path to post-launch support.

I honestly have no idea

They definitely want to get away from being forced to model all pokemon every time and some have pointed out that its a reasonable concession if we got a massive generational leap.... and whether or not you consider Sword and Shield to be that is somewhat debatable?

I could see them caving a bit and presenting some additions through updates/patched but I still wouldn't expect 100% conversion

Maybe they will make other games that let you play with all pokemon but dont have the scope of a full title (colliseum or something)

Maybe they will say fuck it and take the heat and stick to the limited rosters going forward.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how long until they decide turn based battles aren't part of the core pokémon experience and change it to button mashing

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the people (mostly on social media) who don't seem to understand that fans are allowed to deliver negative feedback.

They don't like backwards compatibility being taken away, so they're making their point known. It's the same thing PS4 fans did this generation. You need to make some noise to get things changed.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I mean 400 should be satisfactory, I don't understand the meltdown.

The entire motto most of us westerners grew up with was "Gotta Catch 'em All"

I get if it doesn't matter to you, that's totally fine, but you can't understand at all why people would be upset they can't catch 'em all in the game who's motto is "gotta catch 'em all"?

It's not exactly a hard leap to make

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I don't get the people (mostly on social media) who don't seem to understand that fans are allowed to deliver negative feedback.

They don't like backwards compatibility being taken away, so they're making their point known. It's the same thing PS4 fans did this generation. You need to make some noise to get things changed.
I don't think this one is getting fixed, so much as it is pushing people to fork over extra money for a full(er) pokedex

I didn't like Let's Go and I think I'll be waiting a while to put down some money on a pokemon switch experience by the looks of things

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you so desperate to give them the benefit of the doubt? All we know is that in the very best case scenario half of all Pokemon ever are cut
Does Joe Merrick have two accounts here?

So, I share my opinion and put my thoughts out there and I'm desperate or Joe?

Glad to know I've been wasting my time. Excuse me for not following the masses in expressing some fake outrage I don't feel and I think that some good may come of this. I won't be replying further to either of you.

For the record, I like all the Pokémon and my favorites like Volcarona who's a staple of my competitive team, Dragonite and Electibuzz/Electivire who's been bro since gen one and used on my competitive teams from time to time, and 6 of the 8 shinies that I've bread and EV trained in Poké Pelago all don't seem to be in the Galar Dex and who were going to be used on future competitive teams.

Y'all like to act like people who sees things differently don't have their own disappointments with this decision.

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas

I get if it doesn't matter to you, that's totally fine, but you can't understand at all why people would be upset they can't catch 'em all in the game who's motto is "gotta catch 'em all"?

Same for easterners, but hey, I never had pokemon bank so maybe that's why I don't "get it".

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
So, I share my opinion and put my thoughts out there and I'm desperate or Joe?

Glad to know I've been wasting my time. Excuse me for not following the masses in expressing some fake outrage I don't feel and I think that some good may come of this. I won't be replying further to either of you.

For the record, I like all the Pokémon and my favorites like Volcarona who's a staple of my competitive team, Dragonite and Electibuzz/Electivire who's been bro since gen one and used on my competitive teams from time to time, and 6 of the 8 shinies that I've bread and EV trained in Poké Pelago all don't seem to be in the Galar Dex and who were going to be used on future competitive teams.

Y'all like to act like people who sees things differently don't have their own disappointments with this decision.
You're not just indifferent to it. You're actively defending it. There's nothing to defend here

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Cmon man

That slogan argument hardly addresses the nuance and context of asking a dev team to continously build and then rebuild a constantly growing roster over and over and over for a franchise that has no signs of fading

lets be honest. The fear of pokemon retirement is not new and likely been on the minds of all pokemon fans as that number kept growin higher and higher

Are we gonna feign ignorance here? That we didn't intrinsically know that this could happen or that the dev team might want the freedom to make this happen eventually?

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Cmon man

That slogan argument hardly addresses the nuance and context of asking a dev team to continously build and then rebuild a constantly growing roster over and over and over for a franchise that has no signs of fading

lets be honest. The fear of pokemon retirement is not new and likely been on the minds of all pokemon fans as that number kept growin higher and higher

Are we gonna feign ignorance here? That we didn't intrinsically know that this could happen or that the dev team might want the freedom to make this happen eventually?
The models are already finished.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
They specifically mentioned how animations were time consuming and the fact that they have the added power to make Pokemon expressions more evident. You don't think Dynamax with its demands for much bigger Pokemon, cleaner animations (especially factoring in size and its impact on the engine).

Also why are you bringing in pixel art in your example? That's such a false equivalency considering that Dynamax has a direct impact on animation workloads.

The additional animations they talked about are not for dynamax: they just embiggen the existing ones.

It's more probable it's due to the new camping feature, which is the improved Pokemon Amie.

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
50% of all Pokemon sounds like a compromise, but... what if your favorite Pokemon isn't apart of that 50%? Oopsie, guess you're out of luck.

Heck, I'd say even 800 out of 900 would still be out of whack. It's all or nothing because otherwise you're bound to get someone left out.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Cmon man

I'm sorry, It's a hard line for me. The entire point of the game for me is collecting, it's what I've been conditioned to by their marketing, and it's why I play pokemon over any of the other pokemon-like games.

There is no reason this "had" to happen, and if it did "have" to happen there needs to be much more of a tradeoff in quality than we're getting. If they're going to go back on 20 years of marketing and franchise spirit, then we deserve more than a throwaway line in a treehouse and we deserve more than a modest step forward in technology.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
50% of all Pokemon sounds like a compromise, but... what if your favorite Pokemon isn't apart of that 50%? Oopsie, guess you're out of luck.

Heck, I'd say even 800 out of 900 would still be out of whack. It's all or nothing because otherwise you're bound to get someone left out.

I could live without most of the legendaries

I'm sorry, It's a hard line for me. The entire point of the game for me is collecting, it's what I've been conditioned to by their marketing, and it's why I play pokemon over any of the other pokemon-like games.

There is no reason this "had" to happen, and if it did "have" to happen there needs to be much more of a tradeoff in quality than we're getting. If they're going to go back on 20 years of marketing and franchise spirit, then we deserve more than a throwaway line in a treehouse and we deserve more than a modest step forward in technology.

I agree with this sentiment. The tradeoff debate is interesting now. Im sure some of you guys remember the defense of the graphical leap in the reveal threads

Though that was before we knew about this

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cmon man

You could've saved this argument for sun and moon. But surprise, they handled 800+ with no problem. Why are you giving it a pass on switch?

I mean this is not the damn witcher 3, a game that will probably push the switch to it's max, with a huge world, tons of characters, animations, weather effects, etc.

I'm pretty sure the switch can handle the code for every pokemon and more. There's absolutely 0 reason to cut shit.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I wouldn't even mind if they were rebooting the series (i.e. starting with the Galar Pokédex and reintroducing other regions over the years) if the games were substantially improved. But, as nice as Sword and Shield look, they're undoubtedly more of the same with a new coat of paint and this generation's gimmick (Dynamax). I'm not even asking for new ideas anymore, just reintroduce well received features that were inexplicably made exclusive to their generation. I don't even expect Galar to have regional variants, the best idea to come out of Sun and Moon. It's a shame, because I love the art direction in this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.