Only Pokémon in Galar Pokédex can be transferred to Sword & Shield from Pokémon Home; similar restrictions intended for subsequent titles

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
The live chat on the Treehouse livestream is pretty hilarious, they keep relating anything they're saying back to the national dex no matter what is being played on screen.

I think they're really going to feel the community on this one.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Dynamax has new animations.

I believe the Refresh replacement has new animations. They said they want the Pokémon to be more emotive and thus there would be the place.
So not have Dynamax and Refresh enabled for some pokes? They could also create separate competitive mp queues for Galar and Full Pokedex if they also want to have separate MP.

ProfRenegade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I absolutely knew this would happen one day. They were bound to run into the problem of having too many pokemon eventually, so here we are with the problem and Gamefreak doesn't have the ncessary hardware, or compression, to let people use the pokemon they like.

I imagine that there will be an update or expansion that requies a X amount of GB to download to make more pokemon avilable in Galar, but not having them all available and accessible from the getgo is going to be a BIG deal breaker for a lot of returning players.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I think I'm at a point with Pokemon where I'll buy all the mainline games on release day because it's a new Pokemon. I love this franchise so much, but this pisses me off. I have Pokemon that are years old and seeing them in HD would be fantastic. Not being able to see my Typhlosion and Blaziken in HD is a serious bummer to me. I understand that there will probably be 900+ Pokemon in total before new forms and that's a lot of work for Game Freak before getting to unique form models. Masuda most likely didn't want to do this, but delaying SwSh is out of the cards since this franchise is a factory. If the game goes down, everything else goes down.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that'd be the sensible option

And they do have that for multiplayer too, at least in past games
They would have to put in a process of making these changes

Even if fan placating options are considered its going to take time and they would have to decide to do it for this game instead of the future

Whoever is in charge can just say no and deal with the heat

I think I'm at a point with Pokemon where I'll buy all the mainline games on release day because it's a new Pokemon. I love this franchise so much, but this pisses me off. I have Pokemon that are years old and seeing them in HD would be fantastic. Not being able to see my Typhlosion and Blaziken in HD is a serious bummer to me. I understand that there will probably be 900+ Pokemon in total before new forms and that's a lot of work for Game Freak before getting to unique form models. Masuda most likely didn't want to do this, but delaying SwSh is out of the cards since this franchise is a factory. If the game goes down, everything else goes down.
Well let me step off my pessimism podium for a second and give you a sliver of hope

I have to imagine the entire legacy list will get updated at least ONE more time as I am sure this generation will last awhile over multiple games. It may be the last generation it happens though

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the standard email they're sending people who've submitted feedback:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Pokémon Support.

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback/suggestions. We regularly share player feedback and suggestions with our development team and will pass your message along to them.

Pokémon strongly encourages players to submit feedback and comments, so that this game can offer the best experience to all of you. Even though we do not always implement every suggestion we receive, we always read and pay attention to every single comment.

At this time we do not have any further information to provide regarding recent news releases. Any changes or further news will be announced at pokemon.com.

Thank you, and have a great day!
Sincerely,
Agent_Abbey
The Pokémon Company International Support Team

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
But all the Pokemon were in the code for that game. When FireRed LeafGreen released, you could transfer Johto and Kanto Pokemon over to R/S.

This isn't the same.
So let's say, eventually down the line, they add a patch or a DLC option or an update or something that adds those Pokemon to the game and enables Home connectivity for those Pokemon. I don't know when... A year from then, 2 years, 3 years, whatever... would that be the same or different to you? Something like Pokemon GO, where all the Pokemon weren't available from the start.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
So let's say, eventually down the line, they add a patch or a DLC option or an update or something that adds those Pokemon to the game and enables Home connectivity for those Pokemon. I don't know when... A year from then, 2 years, 3 years, whatever... would that be the same or different to you? Something like Pokemon GO, where all the Pokemon weren't available from the start.
Not the guy you're replying to, but for me yes.

Maybe not 2-3 years, that's a bit long to me, but some type of delay would be alright.

You couldn't transfer into SuMo for months and no one was really TOO upset compared to this

Keyouta

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dynamax has new animations.

I believe the Refresh replacement has new animations. They said they want the Pokémon to be more emotive and thus there would be the place.
I'd prefer all the Pokemon over some Camp animations. Plus the overworld trainer and npc models still move around rotating on a stick.

Hope Game Freak or TPC will come out and address this, super shitty of them to hide it in a treehouse live stream when they had a business conference two weeks ago (announcing Home), and a direct last week.

Home isn't that useful if I can't transfer over my whole dex.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How many of you actually care about Amie/Refresh beyond giving Eevee two hearts to evolve into Sylveon?

Like they didnt even have it in Lets Go outside of the partners, and that was only 153 Pokémon

PaultheNerd

Dec 25, 2018
I think it's horrible to see not only their social media (even on posts prior to E3 where it's clearly someone putting up a lighthearted post, like a fun fact) but to see on posts from journalists who just interviewed TPC that there are childish and harassing comments.

There is a correct way to vocalize concerns and create action, throwing rocks at humans just doing their job is not an example of such.

Keyouta

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's already a built in delay for Home, it's not releasing until 2020, so preferably they'd have everything patched in by Home's launch. I could wait a bit longer but they're just going to lose more hardcore fans the longer they take. Home is a paid service, I assume.

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to have less Pokemon, save it for a Pokemon Snap or Pokken type dealio.

On the other hand, if you're going to cram every single Pokemon, form, Mega, Z, Voltron, yadda yadda, in the game, I wouldn't want the game to get limited to essentially a "catching simulator".

I want all the things. All the Pokemon, all the cheesy story, all the gimmicks. What can I say, I'm a fan. I'm greedy.

There's already a built in delay for Home, it's not releasing until 2020, so preferably they'd have everything patched in by Home's launch. I could wait a bit longer but they're just going to lose more hardcore fans the longer they take. Home is a paid service, I assume.
I'm sure they lost fans when people found out they couldn't transfer their old Pokemon between Gen 2 and Gen 3. But eventually, they added them back with the newer games. I just feel like the same could happen and IS happening here.

Orb

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I feel for them in terms of the sheer amount of work it would take, but I hope they understand this is clearly something people want and get there over time

Future Gazer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's horrible to see not only their social media (even on posts prior to E3 where it's clearly someone putting up a lighthearted post, like a fun fact) but to see on posts from journalists who just interviewed TPC that there are childish and harassing comments.

There is a correct way to vocalize concerns and create action, throwing rocks at humans just doing their job is not an example of such.
I'm sure the intern running Nintendo's twitter will be okay.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Just looking at the official account, people are just tweeting the hashtag to them. Seems pretty benign.

What journalists are you referring to?

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Nice goalpost moving
How have I moved the goalpost? The male protagonist, even in your personally selected pictures, is staring straight ahead with almost no expression in several shots.

My exact comment said "If I'm wrong, I really don't think it's to the degree of a "wide array of facial expressions" but I'm happy to be proven wrong "

There are PS3 games with more expressive facial expressions, this is not some cutting edge "wide array" that is enough to justify cutting pokemon.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I think, flat out, if they have the gall to charge you real damn money for Pokemon Home there is no development excuse in the world that could justify this.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Looking at some news that came out yesterday, there are some limitations on the Pokemon Bank. Only the Galar region Pokedex is only going to be accessible. Can you walk me through why that decision was made, and why you think it's important to have that limitation?

Junichi Masuda, Producer:
There are a couple of different parts to the thinking behind it, but really the biggest reason for it is just the sheer number of Pokemon. We already have well over 800 Pokemon species, and there's going to be more added in these games. And now that they're on the Nintendo Switch, we're creating it with much higher fidelity with higher quality animations. But even more than that, it's coming down to the battle system. We're making sure we can keep everything balanced and give all the Pokemon that appear in the games a chance to shine.
See. Animations.

GenericJoe

Oct 27, 2017
Worst thing that could happen to the series.

Because of the backwards compatibility I've always viewed newer games as more of expansion packs for the larger Pokemon universe, so even though individually they could be considered half-steps, I've never minded as it just made the series richer as a whole. But now that they've decided to change this, Sword and Shield have to stand entirely on their own merits. And what they've shown isn't nearly enough of a leap forward to justify gutting one of the core values of the games.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
How have I moved the goalpost? The male protagonist, even in your personally selected pictures, is staring straight ahead with almost no expression in several shots.

My exact comment said "If I'm wrong, I really don't think it's to the degree of a "wide array of facial expressions" but I'm happy to be proven wrong "

There are PS3 games with more expressive facial expressions, this is not some cutting edge "wide array" that is enough to justify cutting pokemon.
You said the MC only had one expression, the standard happy smile. I showed you it's not the case and now you're moving the goalpost. It's also not staring ahead in all the shots. It's an anime style, look at other games like this and you'll find it's not that different. We also have only seen a small part of the game.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019

See. Animations.
So if it's purely about the work to put the animations in, why can they not put them in later? Why could they not have cut some less popular features instead?

Most importantly, why are the animations we've seen so far still so basic?

Nov 14, 2017

See. Animations.
I sure look forward to seeing more classic animations like Pikachu using Floaty Fall or Toucannon using Supersonic Skystrike.