Only Pokémon in Galar Pokédex can be transferred to Sword & Shield from Pokémon Home; similar restrictions intended for subsequent titles

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
They just want to force people to buy every game to make sure they can still play with everyone.
Game Freak doesn't fucking care about its fanbase and are just looking for more ways to squeeze us for money.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
it would be nice if they could confirm the number of pokemon in the galar dex just so we could have *some* idea of the amount being cut

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
No, I think it's 100% genuine
I realize you are being optimistic but its hard to gloss over the language on that article

Its very much them saying they want to focus on the future. One that isn't dragging the past with it as an anchor

Trust me I didn't think Game Freak was capable either but they must be finally looking over their shoulders at all the other japanese devs passing them by

So then what would be the rationale for not putting them in down the line if we agree that it's simply about the work required to animate and it's clearly extremely important to the fans?
Read between the lines from the language of that article man.

Heartskips

Oct 25, 2017
1. Why waste millions of dollars in manual labor doing running, walking and attacking animations for all 800+ Pokemon ON TOP of Pokemon Amie animations AND revamped voices for all Gameboy to DS era Pokemon for the SOLE PURPOSE of having it be easy lane for the HD console installment...only to discard 54% of them anyway.
2. You discard all of that work and the 'amazing' improvements in animation are still jokes. We should not be gushing over our player avatars finally having basic emoting for social situations. The Pokemon that made the cut re use ALL of the animation assets made 7 years ago. They dont even fucking run up to the opponent like in the Game Cube games.
Many NPCs still just platform table rotate. Come on. Indie anime games do better than this. Especially when so much of your assets are literally future proofed and reused.
Also worth saying that the comparison to other franchises isn't even good because they never cared enough about keeping their bestiaries consistent and not a mess. There's a reason they're vastly more unpopular than Pokémon.

They also don't have a studio just for making animations like Creatures.

delete12345

Nov 17, 2017
I feel this thread is too quick for me to catch up. Can someone put up a timeline or bullet-point lists of the current events thus far, and to see if later down the road, we hear back from the developers and/or the community?

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh lol. well I'm glad they veil around them seems to have finally been lifted and are actually getting criticism from the majority of their fan base for their crazy ass decisions. I couldn't believe it when they made an easy mode that you had to beat the game to unlock lol.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I realize you are being optimistic but its hard to gloss over the language on that article

Its very much them saying they want to focus on the future. One that isn't dragging the past with it as an anchor

Trust me I didn't think Game Freak was capable either but they must be finally looking over their shoulders at all the other japanese devs passing them by

Read between the lines from the language of that article man.
I don't know why you keep replying to me telling me it's their choice. I know, I'm on your side, I agree. I'm asking these questions to point out how ridiculous the excuse is when it's clearly a design choice lol

C-revo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they are doing this. They are gonna ruin the whole franchise with this move. The countless hours of catching, breeding, training and just like that gone.....

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This especially hurts if you’re into more obscure mon. Like I am never going to see my precious tynamo in these

This would hurt even less if the models looked good, which they don’t, or even did the bare minimum and changed the battle effects, which they didn’t

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you keep replying to me telling me it's their choice. I know, I'm on your side, I agree. I'm asking these questions to point out how ridiculous the excuse is when it's clearly a design choice lol
We agree in this im sure

Though the language in that article is definitely more blunt! At least some of it is

NeuroCloud

Jun 10, 2019
The real reason is likely Gamefreak understands:

a.) new Pokémon

b.) a new battling gimmick

...are essential for an otherwise identically functioning game with each installment.

They’re updating their formula so frequent instalments are sustainable for decades

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
I don't accept the balance one as that's already dealt with through the Black Clover/Blue Pentagon system as well as rulesets. It can be further controlled with changes to learnsets and Egg Moves so I 100% do not buy that statement. I feel that was added to try and convince people it's for the best.
As someone who added 35 Pokemon to Gen 1 recently and had to re-balance everything around the new ones (and never got to properly finish due to time constraints) I accept it. Adding one Pokemon to an environment of 800+ characters usually doesn't upset things too much, but adding 20? 80? Some serious balancing issues can pop up and of course for some to even stand out they need to be stronger than previous generations (leading to the power creep seen with the Tapus and UBs). We've already seen some issues like Gale Wings that seem super obvious in practice and were retooled in the next generation because it ended up way stronger than it seemed on paper.

Hopefully this results in some long-needed balance changes and, taking into consideration Morimoto's quote the other day about Moody being changed, I think it's happening.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
1. Why waste millions of dollars in manual labor doing running, walking and attacking animations for all 800+ Pokemon ON TOP of Pokemon Amie animations AND revamped voices for all Gameboy to DS era Pokemon for the SOLE PURPOSE of having it be easy lane for the HD console installment...only to discard 54% of them anyway.
It's the only thing that truly amazes me.
Why the hell did they do all these walking and running animations for??

Another thing is that they future proofed the models... but will not use them in the future.... AND destroyed the framerate in double battles on the 3DS by doing so for no reason at all.

LukarWuff

Oct 27, 2017
Politely(!) submitted feedback regarding the decision through their support site. Fingers crossed all of this negative reaction prompts them to change course.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The real reason is likely Gamefreak understands:

a.) new Pokémon

b.) a new battling gimmick

...are essential for an otherwise identically functioning game with each installment.

They’re updating their formula so frequent instalments are sustainable for decades
They should have just went full BOTW

Super far in the future, Post apocalypse. Pokemon and environment reclaimed the world. All new mons. Old favorites as fossils Boom

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they are doing this. They are gonna ruin the whole franchise with this move. The countless hours of catching, breeding, training and just like that gone.....
Yes, but you can pay Game Freak to store them in Pokemon Home and then never be able to use them! Aren't they just so thoughtful?

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
As someone who added 35 Pokemon to Gen 1 recently and had to re-balance everything around the new ones (and never got to properly finish due to time constraints) I accept it. Adding one Pokemon to an environment of 800+ characters usually doesn't upset things too much, but adding 20? 80? Some serious balancing issues can pop up and of course for some to even stand out they need to be stronger than previous generations (leading to the power creep seen with the Tapus and UBs). We've already seen some issues like Gale Wings that seem super obvious in practice and were retooled in the next generation because it ended up way stronger than it seemed on paper.

Hopefully this results in some long-needed balance changes and, taking into consideration Morimoto's quote the other day about Moody being changed, I think it's happening.
The thing is, you can remove them from competitive play without removing them from the game entirely. We already do this.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I'd at least like some kind of promise that they'll keep an eye on the excluded Pokemon and ensure all of them get cycled back in once in a while. Instead they only talk about popularity. Frankly that's not what I want to hear when you're going to start excluding Pokemon due to volume. What's the point of Pokemon Home if many of them might stay forgotten forever? Might as well not bother with the service.

And really, the models are very similar to the ones from the 3DS days, as are the animations we've been shown so far. If you're going to make this kind of move you do it when you're able to wow everyone with the huge jump in quality you've accomplished. Not this.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It's the only thing that truly amazes me.
Why the hell did they do all these walking and running animations for??

Another thing is that they future proofed the models... but will not use them in the future.... AND destroyed the framerate in double battles on the 3DS by doing sonfor no reason at all.
Game development is a bitch?

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn’t they include Pokemon with their old animations for the time being and update them over time for the new game in gen 8 or patch, and I’m sure they have alot of animations already made for those Pokemon in gen 6&7 that would be sufficient.

This is absurd to cut them all altogether.

RochHoch

May 22, 2018
It's downright mind boggling that Gamefreak is being so openly shitty and disrespectful to their fans, and they act like we're just supposed to be okay with that. The worse thing is that it feels like no amount of outrage will change anything since its fucking Pokemon and will sell bucketloads anyway.

Oh, and competitive is straight up fucked too, so that's fun.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn’t they include Pokemon with their old animations for the time being and update them over time for the new game in gen 8 or patch, and I’m sure they have alot of animations already made for those Pokemon in gen 6&7 that would be sufficient.

Because they no longer care about connectivity within a single generation, they want to force everyone to buy every game to continue to be able to play within a specific generation and they want people to be forced to pay for Pokemon Home indefinitely and not just when new gens come out.

Rosebud

Apr 16, 2018
This especially hurts if you’re into more obscure mon. Like I am never going to see my precious tynamo in these

This would hurt even less if the models looked good, which they don’t, or even did the bare minimum and changed the battle effects, which they didn’t
But of course we will have Onix in every game

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
It's so crazy to me that during a week where we saw games like Cyberpunk, FFVII, and Ghostwire Tokyo that these Pokemon animations are what we're supposed to believe were holding them back lol

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's a franchise altering move and changes things drastically going forward. Now Game Freak decides which Pokemon you will be using.

I honestly don't know if I want to be part of it.

Apopheniac

Oct 25, 2017
I feel this thread is too quick for me to catch up. Can someone put up a timeline or bullet-point lists of the current events thus far, and to see if later down the road, we hear back from the developers and/or the community?
the timeline is that yesterday, Masuda said on Treehouse Live that the only Pokemon implemented in Sword and Shield are the ones in the Galar regional Dex, and those are the only Pokemon you can transfer to Sword and Shield out of other Pokemon games. there's also that interview posted on the last page I guess

there's been zero acknowledgement of any consternation amongst their customers about this on their end, and I would be extremely surprised if there ever is

muteKi

Oct 22, 2018
a sunken pirate ship
How many of you actually care about Amie/Refresh beyond giving Eevee two hearts to evolve into Sylveon?
I thought Amie was pretty cute and liked the idea, but was frustrated at how basic the mechanic was, especially since in the end you find the most sensitive part of the Pokemon and just keep rubbing the stylus over it until you get more hearts.

I want them to continue it, but to expand it, and give it a lot more nuance besides only the most basic aspects of the Pokemon. I'd like to say I want it to have more "physicality" but I have no idea if that would be possible (but who knows, given we're in the era of HD rumble). I definitely want more grooming options.

If they give this stuff the level of depth that I'd want, then I'll totally accept their justification for the lack of inclusion of every Pokemon, because it involves a lot of focus on physical details of every Pokemon. They haven't (to my knowledge -- haven't watched the Treehouse streams) shown any of this so I'm just as confused by their decisions as anyone else, especially since Refresh didn't really add much of anything to the formula from what I experimented with and that was one Pokemon.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
As a casual Pokemon gamer, I find relief in their decision. It's good to know I don't have to buy previous games and collect my favourite Pokemon there.

Totally get why engaged fans are upset about this, though.

killertofu

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe I partly bought a Switch for this. Fuck this. I also can't believe how angry I am about this but I feel like this is the first time I've felt shit on about something I love from childhood

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Because they no longer care about connectivity within a single generation, they want to force everyone to buy every game to continue to be able to play within a specific generation and they want people to be forced to pay for Pokemon Home indefinitely and not just when new gens come out.
Well, got to show them with your wallet which I will be doing, this is shitty practise.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Serebii is being generous and hopeful

If you read the linked article... to me the language is abundantly clear

Whatever work they did to "future proof" existing pokemon... who cares

They are shifting priorities. Maybe they had a different vision for the future back then. Maybe they thought they might do ONE MORE 3DS generation!

Either way it certainly sounds like their design goals have changed with their new development members and catering to Nintendo Switch system and its capabilities

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
As far as balancing goes, don’t you only really need to keep a close eye on the regional dex? As far as nation dex mons go I feel like it’s a little more okay if they end up over/under powered because you’re bringing them in from the outside, if it messes with the balance of the campaign a little bit it’s not the end of the world because you’re going out of your way to do so

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
IMO after the Let's Go games they know they can get away with anything. Honestly, this was expected.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017

im assuming existing pokes will use the old animations. the pokemon barely move as is, i dont see them changing them. all 3DS games looked exactly the same in battle

Rosebud

Apr 16, 2018
As a casual Pokemon gamer, I find relief in their decision. It's good to know I don't have to buy previous games and collect my favourite Pokemon there.

Totally get why engaged fans are upset about this, though.
I don't get it. If they aren't available in SS the only way to get them is in old games

delete12345

Nov 17, 2017
the timeline is that yesterday, Masuda said on Treehouse Live that the only Pokemon implemented in Sword and Shield are the ones in the Galar regional Dex, and those are the only Pokemon you can transfer to Sword and Shield out of other Pokemon games. there's also that interview posted on the last page I guess

there's been zero acknowledgement of any consternation amongst their customers about this on their end, and I would be extremely surprised if there ever is
Ok, then the whole event just started since yesterday. I'd give it about 1 or 2 weeks, and then check it up to see if there are any updates. Thanks.