Only Pokémon in Galar Pokédex can be transferred to Sword & Shield from Pokémon Home; similar restrictions intended for subsequent titles

Heartskips

Oct 25, 2017
It's a franchise altering move and changes things drastically going forward. Now Game Freak decides which Pokemon you will be using.

I honestly don't know if I want to be part of it.
If Pokémon cut POKÉMON themselves, then I'm out.

This is what happens when people excuse stuff like cutting features like Hard Mode, Battle Frontier, most post-game things, etc.

Now we're losing MOVES (Z-move), FORMS (mega) and POKÉMON even. It's ridiculous.

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak actually wanted a piece of the Battle Royale pie. Drop 800+ Pokemon onto an island and let them duke it out to see who gets to be into the next Mainline games LOL.

Maxina

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Masuda has clearly lost it. So are they going to rebrand the "gotta catch em'all' that's been a staple in the franchise since its debut 20+ years ago? Seriously, the old man needs to take a hike like Miyamoto and let the younger folk take the reins. Completely lost it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a casual Pokemon gamer, I find relief in their decision. It's good to know I don't have to buy previous games and collect my favourite Pokemon there.

Totally get why engaged fans are upset about this, though.
You could have just traded for them online. Shit, most people will just give away whatever you wanted for nothing in return.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's weird how they care about balance now. They didnt care about balance in lets go and that was a smaller pool of pokemon made for a new audience to teach them the mechanics. But heres stealth rock with no counters. Heres mega evolutions with no real drawbacks.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
all they have to do is make hd quality animations once for evrey Pokemon and they are good for a while

the switch 2 won't be as strong as the ps4

nintendobprobably won't have a machine powerful enouph forps5 games until like 2035

Nintendo wont have a massive power jump for a long time.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
As far as balancing goes, don’t you only really need to keep a close eye on the regional dex? As far as nation dex mons go I feel like it’s a little more okay if they end up over/under powered because you’re bringing them in from the outside, if it messes with the balance of the campaign a little bit it’s not the end of the world because you’re going out of your way to do so
if its anything like prior gens, you won't be able to import your pokes until post campaign anyway.

As far as balancing goes, don’t you only really need to keep a close eye on the regional dex? As far as nation dex mons go I feel like it’s a little more okay if they end up over/under powered because you’re bringing them in from the outside, if it messes with the balance of the campaign a little bit it’s not the end of the world because you’re going out of your way to do so
Or they could've just made the official tournaments restrict teams, like they've already have done several times before.

LukarWuff

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking of making a separate thread regarding the bit about this being Game Freak's policy going forward (since this thread seems to be focused more on Sword and Shield), along with maybe some suggestions on how to properly and politely send feedback regarding it to TPC/Game Freak. Would that be a bit redundant, or should I go for it?

Heartskips

Oct 25, 2017
This better be the greatest and most in-depth camping simulator of all time.
I'm expecting it to be cool for like 5 minutes.

Masuda has clearly lost it. So are they going to rebrand the "gotta catch em'all' that's been a staple in the franchise since its debut 20+ years ago? Seriously, the old man needs to take a hike like Miyamoto and let the younger folk take the reins. Completely lost it.
He reminds me of these Square Enix producers that just seem to have no clue at all to what they're doing.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This is work a one year game development student intern could probably do. GameFreak is just incompetent.
You guys aren't getting it

Its not about the excuses.... Read between the lines or hell read the blunt language

They no longer want to drag the roster forward indefinitely

So we can bitch about he details about "how easy it would be" or how there is no reasonable explanation this cant be done all day

But its quite simply a design decision they look to stick with going forward

Heartskips

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how they care about balance now. They didnt care about balance in lets go and that was a smaller pool of pokemon made for a new audience to teach them the mechanics. But heres stealth rock with no counters. Heres mega evolutions with no real drawbacks.
They don't care at all. lol Remember when they made Mega, people thought it would balance the game, but then they just made strong Pokémon even stronger and the meta even more unbalanced.

That's just an excuse he thinks he can get some people to rally behind.

Rosebud

Apr 16, 2018
Btw sorry for the off topic, but someone can help me to get some trade evos in Let's Go? I can do the same

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You guys aren't getting it

Its not about the excuses.... Read between the lines or hell read the blunt language

They no longer want to drag the roster forward indefinitely

So we can bitch about he details about "how easy it would be" or how there is no reasonable explanation this cant be done all day

But its quite simply a design decision they look to stick with going forward
Then why does pokemon home even exist

They could have just done a hard cutoff like gen 3 again

But theyre doing this weird half step

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

GOOD QUESTION!

I have no idea! I mean it DOES work for Sword and Shield and presumably any future games they make next?

So probably for that. Maybe they will make spinoff games that pull your pokemon off the bench one more time!

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
So you'd rather just....not be able to collect them at all?

I'd be happy if they were in the game, but I'm okay not being able to import them for not having time to play old versions.

Yeah just not have them in the game at all, can’t have them. Problem solved.
Works for me. This is a very selfish point of view, but yeah.

I don't get it. If they aren't available in SS the only way to get them is in old games
Doesn't matter because you can't transfer them since they aren't in the game.

You could have just traded for them online. Shit, most people will just give away whatever you wanted for nothing in return.
That's a fair point! Last time I used the trade system I could tell there's a fair bit of generous players out there.

Nov 14, 2017
IIRC he claimed he was stepping back after Let's Go, but I don't know the specifics of what he actually said.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
GOOD QUESTION!

I have no idea! I mean it DOES work for Sword and Shield and presumably any future games they make next?

So probably for that. Maybe they will make spinoff games that pull your pokemon off the bench one more time!
its to trick people to importing their pokes that some have had for over a decade, then hiding them behind a paywall, that if you stop paying for, they get deleted.

its pretty fucking evil. ill leave all my pokes on my 3ds carts

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
i wonder what percentage of the player base has actually "caught them all". is that phrase still used in marketing material?

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017

They don't want to actively remove Pokemon, they just want to limited the available Pokemon in each game. For example, maybe Slugma and Magcargo aren't available in Sword and Shield but they are available in the Gen 9 games. Your pre-exisiting Magcargo from Gen 7 would be transferable to Gen 9, just not Sword and Shield.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Lol who do you think are the driving force behind the desire to do something new?

The YOUNGER DEVS

HE literally says it in the article

Are you surprised they dont want to animate 1000 old pokemon 10 times over for the next decade?

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I have a complete Pokedex all the way from X/Y generation. I have Pokebank, but honestly, this decision didn't bother me.

Eventually, a hard reboot will be needed. Just too many mons.

That said, I do hope they update this for fans that want all the Pokemon available.

Menitta

Oct 25, 2017

It honestly feels like this decision to not support every pokemon was made very suddenly. There's no doubt they started developing SWSH and got so far into it only to realize that they cant put every pokemon in before release. It feels like there was no foresight to this decision.

Either they'll update it (not SWSH, release a new version) with every mon and then future proof them...more I guess, OR Gen 9 is a hard reboot.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
How is the size of the team btw? From the outside looking in it just really seems like the scope of these games have kinda surpassed the development resources but it’s hard to draw a line between that and gf having the wrong priorities here

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
They don't want to actively remove Pokemon, they just want to limited the available Pokemon in each game. For example, maybe Slugma and Magcargo aren't available in Sword and Shield but they are available in the Gen 9 games. Your pre-exisiting Magcargo from Gen 7 would be transferable to Gen 9, just not Sword and Shield.
In between those gens please be excited to pay for the ability to look at your Magcargo locked behind glass.

Oct 25, 2017
Great, I'll happily pay five dollars a year* to keep my pokemon frozen in carbonite for a yet-to-be-determined amount of time.

Assuming they charge money for Home, which I'm sure they will.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait

See. Animations.
Horrible excuse, from what i've seen it is not that of a big jump from 3DS models, so much for Number one franchise in the world.

Dec 2, 2017
I'd be happy if they were in the game, but I'm okay not being able to import them for not having time to play old versions.

Works for me. This is a very selfish point of view, but yeah.

Doesn't matter because you can't transfer them since they aren't in the game.

That's a fair point! Last time I used the trade system I could tell there's a fair bit of generous players out there.
So you admit your selfish and spiteful for your point of view, good to know.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
How is the size of the team btw? From the outside looking in it just really seems like the scope of these games have kinda surpassed the development resources but it’s hard to draw a line between that and gf having the wrong priorities here
Game Freak's last update on their staff size was under 150 and that was last year.
And they are doing multiple HD games at once.
They are horribly understaffed.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight, Let's Go ended up being a sign of what's to come all too literally. Now you're getting species-gated all the same, on a smaller scale by comparison, but still.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
that just sounds like a way for them to force people to pay for multiple years of pokemon home waiting for that generation so they can move their pokemon out of it.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The old Pokemon in this game are using the same old animations.
Its like im talking in circles

Dude its not that it cant be done its that they dont want to

Big difference. Sure they are making sully excuses but they are also stating their design goals and future philosophy as well

Either read between the lines or take the blunt language at face value

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
If Pokémon cut POKÉMON themselves, then I'm out.

This is what happens when people excuse stuff like cutting features like Hard Mode, Battle Frontier, most post-game things, etc.

Now we're losing MOVES (Z-move), FORMS (mega) and POKÉMON even. It's ridiculous.
Yep. There was never any valid reason for introducing new (and well received) features and making them version exclusives instead of building on them in each subsequent game. Secret bases had so much potential.

Maxina

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
IIRC he claimed he was stepping back after Let's Go, but I don't know the specifics of what he actually said.
The thing is, he still has "influence" in the development of these games, so while he's no longer behind the wheel, he's a backseat driver. There are some great things being done to the franchise, lots of improvements to QOL, more methods to play with friends or online, some of the changes to running into pokemon in the wild,etc., but then we have removal of content, and that's a big no no.
I also can't help but groan in despair when people say they're fine with there being less pokemon, as if they couldn't just ignore the pokemon they didn't care about in the first place. So the people who have some of their favorite pokemon unavailable to use in the new games, do they not matter?