Only Pokémon in Galar Pokédex can be transferred to Sword & Shield from Pokémon Home; similar restrictions intended for subsequent titles

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Another thing to consider here is that the pokemon that make the least sense of appearing in a different region, like starters and legendaries, are also some of the most popular pokemon in the franchise.

Are they seriously going to cut out Mewtwo, or even Zapdos?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I've had a kinda joking tone but the gaming press does need to seriously grill them about this. Outright not acceptable.
Pokemon Home + SwSh cutting Pokemon + Game Freak saying for years that they care about our connection with our Pokemon + Masuda saying they knew they'd eventually have to stop supporting every Pokemon all comes together to make one of the scummiest situations I've seen in gaming. I see this as on par with any EA controversy.

Sedett

Jan 12, 2018
Each region will have its own walled-off set of Pokemon. You may have to wait years for certain Pokemon to become playable again.

Hard to believe that there will probably be several Alola Pokemon that don’t even make it to Sword and Shield. If Oranguru and Minior don’t make it I’m going to cry a little bit...
Minior is my second favorite mon ever. I even breed a shiny to transfer to Sword. I'm going to cry if I have to leave him behind. :(((
It's only been a little over a day, it will take time for them to announce they are reversing course on this policy. People just need to keep making noise.
It took what, a few weeks for the MM2 change to be announced? I wouldn't be surprised that if they are going to change this that they make the announcement in like an August or September Direct or something.
I have no faith in Gamefreak anymore...

Mewn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not that it's ever gonna happen, but at this point I just wish another studio could take a crack at a mainline game.

I'm just done with gamefreak. They've gotten away with a lot of shit over the years - the removal of features, their asinine disregard for post-game, their constant handholding etc.

I'm glad to see them being hauled over the coals for this though. I doubt they'll care though and the games will still sell millions.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it's insane to me because like, Game Freak has clung HARD to carefully keeping near every facet and little detail in the games up until now. I mean, any other developer would have tidied up any number of weird evolution/pre-evolution methods by now that have required an increasing number of specific items and locations to appear in each game, all for the sake of maintaining that precise continuity... and now they're straight cutting Pokemon. Or maybe this is their solution to that, and they care more about maintaining the continuity than the Pokemon?

Heartskips

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it's insane to me because like, Game Freak has clung HARD to carefully keeping near every facet and little detail in the games up until now. I mean, any other developer would have tidied up any number of weird evolution/pre-evolution methods by now that have required an increasing number of specific items and locations to appear in each game, all for the sake of maintaining that precise continuity... and now they're straight cutting Pokemon. Or maybe this is their solution to that, and they care more about maintaining the continuity than the Pokemon?
If you look at their yearly revenues before and after Pokémon Go release, you'll get why they're doing the things they're doing now.

They want the spotlight on the 151, the nostalgia money making machine is too much of a focus for them, they want to streamline things as much as possible to be closer to mobile.

dtflip

Oct 29, 2017
Seattle,WA
The only thing that make this ok to me is if competitive battling was migrated to Pokemon Home and the new games just became ways to get new Pokemon to import to Home for people interested in battling but, yeah I'm not holding my breath for this I doubt Game Freak wants to split the main games this way even if it would mean forcing people to subscribe to Home to compete in VGC or anything. Just dealing with compartmentalizing my past love for the series with no longer playing new entries and being ok with what I experienced and letting go. I was really looking forward to the VGC format for SwSh but its just not worth it.

I wanted Game Freak to trash their games since I'm a big Trubbish fan, but not like this.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

They are noticing, hopefully a conference meeting is done between Nintendo, TCP and GameFreak, this could be damaging for the brand the longer the black-lash continues.
As a Britney fan lol we already experienced something similar back in April, I feel like having a deja vu. We started tweeting this #FreeBritney hashtag to stop her (still) ongoing conservatorship and tweets started to disappear if they had that hashtag or similars. On Instagram if you try to comment with it it will automatically be removed.

But we gotta keep fighting.

Who could have guessed that Pokemon are the fanbase's favorite part of the series?
tbh

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
As a Britney fan lol we already experienced something similar back in April, I feel like having a deja vu. We started tweeting this #FreeBritney hashtag to stop her (still) ongoing conservatorship and tweets started to disappear if they had that hashtag or similars. On Instagram if you try to comment with it it will automatically be removed.

But we gotta keep fighting.

tbh
I love that Britney Spears and Pokémon for some reason always manage to encounter each other. I wonder if SwSh is gonna be delayed and release alongside another Britney album like the other gens lol

Also, why are gifs so tiny?

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Whats super fucked up about Pokemon Home is its a one way trip for ALL supported games except SwSh. You transfer your Pokemon from the past games, and the majority of them are stuck there until they release the next game and limit what you can transfer to that game. In no way is this a good idea of acceptable.

I didn't realize how much everyone hated Gen 1 until this thread.
This will probably be the highest gen 1 hate will get, and for good reason. Of all 8 generations you can bet your sweet ass Gen 1 will have the biggest share of Pokemon in this game, and with this dumb ass decision that means all the people who favor other generations are kinda getting shit on.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Whats super fucked up about Pokemon Home is its a one way trip for ALL supported games except SwSh. You transfer your Pokemon from the past games, and the majority of them are stuck there until they release the next game and limit what you can transfer to that game. In no way is this a good idea of acceptable.
It's just crazy how absolutely unappealing they've suddenly made Pokemon Home.

RageBawt

Oct 27, 2017
IDK the first 151 will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm old af tho. I consider myself more of a casual fan. I've only played Red, ORAS, and USUM. I feel like first gen has more appeal to the casual fan and newcomers. Like everyone knows who Pikachu is. It makes sense to over expose them.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't hate Gen 1, but I DO hate the ridiculous degree of push it gets above everything else, because I love all Pokemon. And the fact that we're obviously going to get more of them here than anything else, especially when they JUST pulled Let's Go with those BS Pokemon restrictions, definitely annoys me, when tons of other Pokemon are going to get locked out.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Not that it's ever gonna happen, but at this point I just wish another studio could take a crack at a mainline game.

I'm just done with gamefreak. They've gotten away with a lot of shit over the years - the removal of features, their asinine disregard for post-game, their constant handholding etc.

I'm glad to see them being hauled over the coals for this though. I doubt they'll care though and the games will still sell millions.
Agree and I've been done with them for a while. This whole transfer fiasco is so stupid it's almost hard to believe it's happening.

Birdie

Oct 26, 2017
I think from what we've seen the "KANTO PANDERING!" might be a bit overblown.

We've also been plenty of Pokemon folks don't really consider super popular so I don't think it's just gonna be that.

Sothen

Dec 15, 2017
Man this is a real bummer and maybe I'm being petty but it's completely sunk my hype for the game. I may still end up getting it but I've never been more unsure of a new generation of Pokemon than now as to me it feels like yet another step back as every Pokemon game has taken since Black and White 2.

I think it's less hatred and more just exasperation. For people who have grown up with Pokemon and have kept up with the new games and generations as they've come out, it's tiring to see the interesting designs of the other 700+ Pokemon get shafted for Charizard and Mewtwo for the umpteenth time.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

if this isn't lying, it's being intentionally misleading
What people don't realize about this is Pokemon Home will be the only place to store all your Pokemon going forward. We'll never again be able to keep our Pokemon all on one cartridge because compatibility will change with each game. Meaning they all have to be stored in Home. Which will have a price.

Just wait until they end support for Pokemon Bank and force transfers to Home. Pokemon will either be eternally stuck on the 3DS or stuck in Home (and you'll be paying to keep them there unless you want to lose everything) while you wait to transfer them to a game they're compatible with.

It's all just disgusting and is a slap in the face to fans.

RochHoch

May 22, 2018
Just give me Minior, Gamefreak, you insufferable shits.
I know but seriously the list of the confirmed PokeDex has been pretty evenly distributed for the most part

Yeah, it actually does have a pretty healthy amount of stuff from 5, 6 and 7 thus far.

I think its likely that Sinnoh will get screwed the hardest because I can see them waiting to make most of the Gen 4 Pokemon for the inevitable D/P remakes.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
What people don't realize about this is Pokemon Home will be the only place to store all your Pokemon going forward. We'll never again be able to keep our Pokemon all on one cartridge because compatibility will change with each game. Meaning they all have to be stored in Home. Which will have a price.

Just wait until they end support for Pokemon Bank and force transfers to Home. Pokemon will either be eternally stuck on the 3DS or stuck in Home (and you'll be paying to keep them there unless you want to lose everything) while you wait to transfer them to a game they're compatible with.

It's all just disgusting and is a slap in the face to fans.
I don't think I have ever been this disappointed in a upcoming game. And that comes from someone who played every pokemon go and has played pokemon go for 9070 km in less then one year.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
I fully expect all of the Gen 1 pokemon to make the cut, as well as their cross-gen evolutions. Given that the main argument for this change is the work involved with the 3D models and animations, any pokemon that was in Let's Go would supposedly have less work involved with it, plus they wouldn't want to antagonize Switch owners that got into Pokemon with Let's Go.

Leak spoilers
This also makes sense given the rumored Farfetch'd evo.

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I honestly never thought my hype for a new generation of Pokemon would be so deflated. I have over 1500 Pokemon in my bank that I have had since my original copy of Sapphire. Transferred them over with each game as time went on. And I either keep them on my 3DS for who knows how long, or transfer them all over to Home where they will be stuck for god knows when.

If Gamefreak doesn't have the resources or manpower to make all Pokemon work in their new games they need to hire more people, and use more of the extreme amounts of money they make. They make one of the biggest gaming IPs in the world. They can afford to invest more than what they do in their mainline Pokemon titles. What is the point of transferring Pokemon if you can't use them? God its so fucking dumb. I need to go talk about Banjo in Smash or something.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I fully expect all of the Gen 1 pokemon to make the cut, as well as their cross-gen evolutions. Given that the main argument for this change is the work involved with the 3D models and animations, any pokemon that was in Let's Go would supposedly have less work involved with it, plus they wouldn't want to antagonize Switch owners that got into Pokemon with Let's Go.

Leak spoilers
This also makes sense given the rumored Farfetch'd evo.
Nice, more Gen 1 pandering and fuck the other gens by removing pokemons.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I know but seriously the list of the confirmed PokeDex has been pretty evenly distributed for the most part
The current 'Dex standings are as followed if anyone is interested:

Kanto - 35 (23.18% of Gen 1)
Johto - 19 (19% of Gen 2)
Hoenn - 23 (17.04% of Gen 3)
Sinnoh - 24 (22.02% of Gen 4)
Unova - 28 (17.95% of Gen 5)
Kalos - 17 (23.61% of Gen 6)
Alola - 14 (15.91% of Gen 7)
Galar - 12 shown, 18 confirmed