Only Pokémon in Galar Pokédex can be transferred to Sword & Shield from Pokémon Home; similar restrictions intended for subsequent titles

Heartskips

Oct 25, 2017
The current 'Dex standings are as followed if anyone is interested:

Kanto - 35 (23.18% of Gen 1)
Johto - 19 (19% of Gen 2)
Hoenn - 23 (17.04% of Gen 3)
Sinnoh - 24 (22.02% of Gen 4)
Unova - 28 (17.95% of Gen 5)
Kalos - 17 (23.61% of Gen 6)
Alola - 14 (15.91% of Gen 7)
Galar - 12 shown, 18 confirmed
They're just waiting before dumping all the 151 in this game.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Pokemon count is pretty inflated becuase of evos

most people only care about final evo Pokemon

now there are some split evos namely eevee

and some involved Pokemon are used still namely porygon 2

but they aren't actually balancing 800 Pokemon
it's really only the final evos that matter for balancing for the most part

Gustaf

Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon count is pretty inflated becuase of evos

most people only care about final evo Pokemon

now there are some split evos namely eevee

and some involved Pokemon are used still namely porygon 2

but they aren't actually balancing 800 Pokemon
it's really only the final evos that matter for balancing for the most part
how many uniques mons there are?

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I love that Britney Spears and Pokémon for some reason always manage to encounter each other. I wonder if SwSh is gonna be delayed and release alongside another Britney album like the other gens lol

Also, why are gifs so tiny?
The gifs I took them from the Exhale forum, and that's the size they use, 55px :p

And I wish she released B10 this year to not break the tradition of 20 years, but if the messy situation with her father and the conservatorship continues after the hearings in August and September, I don't think she'll be in the mood to hit the studio or release anything :(

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I know this may be radical but I do think some intervention is need here. The Pokemon Company needs these to be mandated:

1. All Pokemon can be transferable Day 1.
2. Mega Evolutions, Alola forms, Z-Moves all must be transferable as well and return.

Gamefreak likes to argue "balance" issues when in reality the metagames they design only support a handful of Pokemon.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
It will be extra funny (read: sad) when we find out near all the Kanto mons are in the game considering we just had a damn Kanto remake last year

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't realize how much everyone hated Gen 1 until this thread.
It’s iconic yes, nostalgic too. The designs are definitely great. BUT it’s had too much representation lately. It’s games have been remade quite a few times compared to like gen 4 and 5. The worse thing is that it will probably be a large proportion of this reduced dex.

It doesn’t help that LGPE were such an oversimplified mess.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I can't at the amount of hate Jynx in particular gets.

I love her and I hope she makes the cut along with Magmar, Electabuzz, Mr. Mime, Hypno, Wigglytuff, Lickitung, Starmie, Omastar, Rapidash, Victreebel, Vileplume, Tangela, Venomoth, Muk and Weezing.
If there's any gen 1 Pokémon that wouldn't make a cut it would be Jynx. Game Freak does everything in their power so people can forget it exists haha

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I know this may be radical but I do think some intervention is need here. The Pokemon Company needs these to be mandated:

1. All Pokemon can be transferable Day 1.
2. Mega Evolutions, Alola forms, Z-Moves all must be transferable as well and return.

Gamefreak likes to argue "balance" issues when in reality the metagames they design only support a handful of Pokemon.
Plus the balance issues come from their stupid, misguided gimmicks.

It’s only been 3 years and they’re trying to wash their hands of Z Moves while promoting Dynamaxing. It’s sad.

brinstar

Oct 25, 2017
I’d be surprised if Sword and Shield didn’t have more than X and Y. I think it’ll probably be similar percentage wise and have around 65% so a Dex count somewhere around 575.
Usually I'm not a fan of them having such inflated regional dexes but with this new compatibility news now I hope they stuff as many as they can in the game lol

Feb 22, 2019
The current 'Dex standings are as followed if anyone is interested:

Kanto - 35 (23.18% of Gen 1)
Johto - 19 (19% of Gen 2)
Hoenn - 23 (17.04% of Gen 3)
Sinnoh - 24 (22.02% of Gen 4)
Unova - 28 (17.95% of Gen 5)
Kalos - 17 (23.61% of Gen 6)
Alola - 14 (15.91% of Gen 7)
Galar - 12 shown, 18 confirmed
At least 9 of Johto and Sinnoh are evos/pre-evos of Kanto Pokémon and 1 from Kalos (Sylveon).

Birdie

Oct 26, 2017
Usually I'm not a fan of them having such inflated regional dexes but with this new compatibility news now I hope they stuff as many as they can in the game lol
I almost made a thread before all this about how I disliked how XY felt too bloated with its Regional Dex and Sun and Moon felt much more purposeful with it, and how the Pokemon Direct made me feel like they were just gonna toss every Pokemon in the Wild Area.

That wouldn't have aged well.

KsG

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I don't have high hopes for my boy Luxray to be in this. It will be a sad day if I can't take my Luxray from Gen 4 into Sword/Shield and get ribbons for him.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Most of my favorites are legendaries, so I'm resigned to not being able to import my favorites already.

Maybe they will have a decent legendary hunt for the post game. Would love to get the Tapus and the dogs.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Plus the balance issues come from their stupid, misguided gimmicks.
It’s only been 3 years and they’re trying to wash their hands of Z Moves while promoting Dynamaxing. It’s sad.
You know what's funny? Masuda said that "even more than that, it's the Battle System", and then he talked about balance as the main reason for all of this. And we know that this is complete and utter bullshit.

We had all of the Pokemon in Gen 7. All. of. them. No issues. But now, we're adding another ~90 Pokemon, and suddelny there's a "balance" issue? 800 Pokemon, no problem. But once you arbitrarily get to 890 Pokemon, all these balance issues start emerging apparently.

It's all bullshit.

The sad things is sword and shield look so good
Does it really? The Wild Area is looks like it's mostly sporting textures from the Nintendo 64.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
If there's any gen 1 Pokémon that wouldn't make a cut it would be Jynx. Game Freak does everything in their power so people can forget it exists haha
Besides Kanto and Johto, and obviously Let's Go, it has just appeared in the latest Alolan Pokédex, as well as in Kalos. It appears in two Pokémon Ranger dexes, and not so relevant but it was relatively recently featured in Pokémon Go for the winter/Holidays event. And even if it wasn't on the Sinnoh Pokédex, it was one of the catchable Pokémon post-game.

I think they've moved on from those old controversies years ago. Kadabra despite not appearing in the TCG again, has appeared in lots of regional dexes, and Porygon + evolutions as well.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
You know what's funny? Masuda said that "even more than that, it's the Battle System", and then he talked about balance as the main reason for all of this. And we know that this is complete and utter bullshit.

We had all of the Pokemon in Gen 7. All. of. them. No issues. But now, we're adding another ~90 Pokemon, and suddelny there's a "balance" issue? 800 Pokemon, no problem. But once you arbitrarily get to 890 Pokemon, all these balance issues start emerging apparently.

It's all bullshit.
The balance has gotten worse since Gen 5 but it has nothing to do with the number of Pokemon, rather the introduction of too many legendaries and some overpowered mechanics like permanent weather and mega evolutions. There is no guarantee that reducing the number of available Pokemon will help with this. Gen 1 has the least Pokemon and was the most fundamentally broken and unbalanced.

Secondly, legendaries are some of the most popular Pokémon in the franchise and I just can’t see them getting cut...

muteKi

Oct 22, 2018
a sunken pirate ship
Galar Trainers aren't too smart if the champion's ace is a Charizard. Stealth rocks already puts him at half health, just throw a stone at him and he's down.
I'll forgive them everything about Home interaction if they just fucking make the damage from stealth rock untyped and only affect pokemon immune to spikes

Does it really? The Wild Area is looks like it's mostly sporting textures from the Nintendo 64.
Not only do N64 games not look half that detailed they also tended to run at pretty low framerates, not to mention that part of the issue is YT's compression because that is certainly a livestream screencap

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Miami
Just read the USGamer interview. Falling back on "balance" as the primary motivating factor for cutting Pokemon is bunk as hell. The game has been effectively balanced through bans for ages now. It's also just straight-up weird to say that you want all Pokemon to "have a chance" because, logically, that ain't how animals work. A Charizard is always going to mop a Butterfree. It's extremely disingenuous and it makes this situation all the more frustrating.

Brock Reiher

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there are hundreds of responses to every Pokémon tweet and they're all just about this. I love it.
Just read the USGamer interview. Falling back on "balance" as the primary motivating factor for cutting Pokemon is bunk as hell. The game has been effectively balanced through bans for ages now. It's also just straight-up weird to say that you want all Pokemon to "have a chance" because, logically, that ain't how animals work. A Charizard is always going to mop a Butterfree. It's extremely disingenuous and it makes this situation all the more frustrating.
also, there's no way it'll be balanced. they never ever have been, even with just 151

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
That's Game Freak for ya. Remember when they removed the Battle Frontier from ORAS because they said it was too hard and people don't like hard content anymore? Or when they removed following Pokémon, or the Hard mode from BW2. They've been an extremely frustrating company to be a fan of.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Balance is the shittiest excuse. Worse than fucking animations. In the same gen they nerfed TalonFlame and Thunderwave they introduced broken Z-moves, and Ultra Necrozma. Laughable. All the excuses they are saying to defend themselves are shit that they've fallen flat on their face on for 6 years.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
Yeah, I just found this clip. The animation on those wingull is really something. I feel completely comforted knowing we had to sacrifice the national dex for this step up in quality.

Last edited:

Keyouta

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I just found this clip. The animation on those wingull is really something. I feel completely comforted knowing we had to sacrifice the national dex for this step up in quality.

Damn that Pokemon variety is amazing. /s

There probably exists over 900 creatures but here's like 6 Wingull on the screen.

Overworld animation is sorely disappointing, just like the gym footage, and Scorbunny's attack animation.