Only Pokémon in Galar Pokédex can be transferred to Sword & Shield from Pokémon Home; similar restrictions intended for subsequent titles

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I feel so vindicated for saying Let's Go would have a negative effect on the series, especially when it was the first one to start the trend of arbitrarily cutting Pokemon by eliminating anything non-Gen I related. And most of you shit on me for saying that.

Imagine if Game Freak put that time and effort wasted on Let's Go, towards Sword and Shield instead of having 2 separate sets of games in 2 years.

Raonak

Oct 29, 2017
Well... Atleast charizard is available.

Is this the first mainline game without all the pokemon programmed in?
even R/S had all of them so that trading to the eventual FR/LG would allow you to get the missing pokemon.

So is there no national dex whatsoever?

Clefargle

Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I know this may be radical but I do think some intervention is need here. The Pokemon Company needs these to be mandated:

1. All Pokemon can be transferable Day 1.
2. Mega Evolutions, Alola forms, Z-Moves all must be transferable as well and return.

Gamefreak likes to argue "balance" issues when in reality the metagames they design only support a handful of Pokemon.
THIS

nothing else is acceptable, if they wanted us to keep buying these games and using these gimmicks then they should support them moving forward.

Apopheniac

Oct 25, 2017
What gets me about the balance excuse is that even if they're afraid that some Pokemon are too overpowered, such as Lando-T or the Tapus, there's no real solution in play to tone them down - they'll just get pulled from the games until further notice, and they'll be added back either when overall power creep finally catches up to them or their original game gets remade. Gen VIII might be safe from Lando-T's reign of terror, but if Gen IX or Gen X brings him back with BW remakes, all Game Freak's done is kick the can years down the road. In the mean time, no one will be able to use Landorus at all, and people who liked the Pokemon in either form get punished for Game Freak's unwillingness to rebalance its stats.

RochHoch

May 22, 2018
I feel like the best case scenario at this point is for Gamefreak to speak up and promise that the non-Galar Pokemon will be prepped for HD at a later date (probably for next year's game sigh) and they'll be added to Sword and Shield eventually.

Is this how it SHOULD be? Hell no, but its fucking Gamefreak we're talking about here and we can't even expect the bare minimum from them anymore.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom
I feel like the best case scenario at this point is for Gamefreak to speak up and promise that the non-Galar Pokemon will be prepped for HD at a later date (probably for next year's game sigh) and they'll be added to Sword and Shield eventually.

Is this how it SHOULD be? Hell no, but its fucking Gamefreak we're talking about here and we can't even expect the bare minimum from them anymore.
They won't do updates. They'll want people to pay 60 bucks again for the real Sword and Shield games that's coming later with all the pokemon available.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

The thing is, most devs have resigned themselves to post-launch patches. Everybody does it. But Gamefreak's "no patch" policy is directly conflicting with the scope issues they've gained in the HD era. It's like they're using 2006 logic in 2019.

Birdie

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the Wingull animation is probably it being an early build---the one they used for the gameplay demonstration at Treehouse, where that is from, looked rougher than what we saw in the Direct last week, which is probably from a newer build.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I fully expect all of the Gen 1 pokemon to make the cut, as well as their cross-gen evolutions. Given that the main argument for this change is the work involved with the 3D models and animations, any pokemon that was in Let's Go would supposedly have less work involved with it, plus they wouldn't want to antagonize Switch owners that got into Pokemon with Let's Go.

Leak spoilers
This also makes sense given the rumored Farfetch'd evo.
I think thats why Farfetch’d was looked at , they had to balance a ton of mons they were limited to so they pretty much were forced to look at old mons and rework them.

Heartskips

Oct 25, 2017
Ik everyone is hating on this but like it had to happen eventually? They can’t just keep adding Pokémon without having to remove some eventually. 1000+ Pokémon is not sustainable
Their whole studio's success is based on this franchise. They just need to keep adaptating the monsters to this. GF even has Creature just to design the models and 3DS had 800~ models with no problem, this shouldn't be where they get to a limit at all, it's not like Pokémon is a graphics powerhouse AAA game.

Nov 1, 2017
Jeez, I just read the interview and I don't even know what to say that won't get me banned.

I'll just be happy that I now have an extra $60+ to spend on other games and enjoy the memes that will come from this.

Wetwork

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I don't like this. It's Pokemon. Gotta Catch Em All. How can you not have all the pokemon???

Like, if they had done this starting with Gen 2- then I would get it. But we've had every single Pokemon in the Dex since Gen 2 up until Lets Go. C'mon.

NeonZ

Oct 28, 2017
Ik everyone is hating on this but like it had to happen eventually? They can’t just keep adding Pokémon without having to remove some eventually. 1000+ Pokémon is not sustainable
Maybe if they actually gave the Pokemon new animations each game, but that's not the case. They're still reusing the old 3ds animations and models with only new textures and a few new animations or model tweaks here and there. If they wanted to make people accept cutting Pokemon they should have been putting much more effort to make this game look completely new.

milkyway

May 17, 2018
It is sustainable if they stop rushing into every new generation - historically it's been every 3-4 years and multiple games get squeezed in those years. I'd say it's time to slow it down and deliver quality games but it's just not how they operate. It's simply a series that has always thrived on quantity before quality - which is not to say they haven't put out quality games but usually the first games in a new generation are lacking compared to later releases.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Then they should find a way to make it sustainable with all the resources they have (the money they have to hire as many people are needed to achieve this with anticipation).

They got us accustomed to it (having every existing Pokémon on every new MAIN game) and now they're taking it away from us, despite igniting our hopes with Pokémon Home just TWO weeks ago.

They should've thought about it before creating Pokémon Bank and kill our hopes since Gen VI.

The thing is, what's gonna happen in the future? We'll have these rotating rosters every new game. There won't be compatibility between different pairs of versions within the same generation. But then, Pokémon Home or whatever becomes its successor would still have to handle all the existing Pokémon, whether they can be sent to a main game or not. There'll come a day then, when not even the Pokémon Home / successor will be able to handle the entire National Dex, because reasons, and the restrictions will be put to which Pokémon can even be sent to Home at all.

I just don't know how to explain to people commenting like "meh I'm fine" or "it was coming sooner or later" or "what'd you expect?" that Pokémon is just something else. No comparisons to other videogames are valid, because Pokémon is beyond everything. Its nature has managed to put it in such a unique place and the fact that so many people have received this news so negatively proves how important and unusual it is.

If we all agreed that there are some disposable Pokémon, and it was obvious to all of us which Pokémon have to go and which ones need to stay, we would've all reacted positively to it and be like "yes, is the right and obvious thing to do".

But no, all the fans comprehend the nature of Pokémon, and the devotion it represents for so many of us, with every single Pokémon creature they've introduced.

And yes, we understand they're most likely not able to cope with so many with the amount of people working on the games right now. That's why they should grow as a company, or find help outsourcing other studios. Pokémon just deserves better.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I just found this clip. The animation on those wingull is really something. I feel completely comforted knowing we had to sacrifice the national dex for this step up in quality.

Yep, when it got to that part of the treehouse the call I was in burst out in combined laughter at the shitty T-posing Wingull flocks hovering a few centimeters above the ground with robotic movement. Coupled with the launch Dreamcast textures and Oblivion low foliage setting grass meshes, the wild areas are very unimpressive.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about this and the more I read from that interview with Masuda, the more I think that there's something else going on here. Some plan to monetize the shit out the franchise even more or something. I don't know. But the explanations being given by Game Freak make zero sense. None at all.

Maybe the plan all along was to force people into Home, charge for it, and then disallow players from being able to store those Pokemon in the games, thereby necessitating something like Home. All they have to do is end support for Bank and players won't have a choice.

All this talk about animations, balance, etc, doesn't come anywhere close to justifying the removal of hundreds of Pokemon in these games.

David___

Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain why? 800 was reached with last gen and there was no indication then they were going to do this. Yet you add a handful more and the system they had in place over the last decade plus suddenly collapses on itself?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
They probably have crazy deadlines with the anime and TCG in play. No doubt they have to cull anything that won't be done on time, and this time around they had to cut a lot more than they would've wanted.

But everything is getting leaked with the demo datamine anyway. They just need to let the anime do its own thing, and accept that the Pokemon will be revealed in full before the games come out.