• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Lol when? So far we've only seen the protagonist creepily stare haven't we?

If I'm wrong, I really don't think it's to the degree of a "wide array of facial expressions" but I'm happy to be proven wrong
3R7SKqe.png

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I feel for them in terms of the sheer amount of work it would take, but I hope they understand this is clearly something people want and get there over time

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's horrible to see not only their social media (even on posts prior to E3 where it's clearly someone putting up a lighthearted post, like a fun fact) but to see on posts from journalists who just interviewed TPC that there are childish and harassing comments.

There is a correct way to vocalize concerns and create action, throwing rocks at humans just doing their job is not an example of such.

I'm sure the intern running Nintendo's twitter will be okay.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think it's horrible to see not only their social media (even on posts prior to E3 where it's clearly someone putting up a lighthearted post, like a fun fact) but to see on posts from journalists who just interviewed TPC that there are childish and harassing comments.

There is a correct way to vocalize concerns and create action, throwing rocks at humans just doing their job is not an example of such.
Just looking at the official account, people are just tweeting the hashtag to them. Seems pretty benign.

What journalists are you referring to?

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Nice goalpost moving

How have I moved the goalpost? The male protagonist, even in your personally selected pictures, is staring straight ahead with almost no expression in several shots.

My exact comment said "If I'm wrong, I really don't think it's to the degree of a "wide array of facial expressions" but I'm happy to be proven wrong "

There are PS3 games with more expressive facial expressions, this is not some cutting edge "wide array" that is enough to justify cutting pokemon.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I think, flat out, if they have the gall to charge you real damn money for Pokemon Home there is no development excuse in the world that could justify this.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Looking at some news that came out yesterday, there are some limitations on the Pokemon Bank. Only the Galar region Pokedex is only going to be accessible. Can you walk me through why that decision was made, and why you think it's important to have that limitation?

Junichi Masuda, Producer:
There are a couple of different parts to the thinking behind it, but really the biggest reason for it is just the sheer number of Pokemon. We already have well over 800 Pokemon species, and there's going to be more added in these games. And now that they're on the Nintendo Switch, we're creating it with much higher fidelity with higher quality animations. But even more than that, it's coming down to the battle system. We're making sure we can keep everything balanced and give all the Pokemon that appear in the games a chance to shine.

See. Animations.

GenericJoe

Oct 27, 2017
Worst thing that could happen to the series.

Because of the backwards compatibility I've always viewed newer games as more of expansion packs for the larger Pokemon universe, so even though individually they could be considered half-steps, I've never minded as it just made the series richer as a whole. But now that they've decided to change this, Sword and Shield have to stand entirely on their own merits. And what they've shown isn't nearly enough of a leap forward to justify gutting one of the core values of the games.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
How many of you actually care about Amie/Refresh beyond giving Eevee two hearts to evolve into Sylveon?

Like they didnt even have it in Lets Go outside of the partners, and that was only 153 Pokémon
I did it once to see how it worked and stopped cause I didn't want to make the game even easier.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
How have I moved the goalpost? The male protagonist, even in your personally selected pictures, is staring straight ahead with almost no expression in several shots.

My exact comment said "If I'm wrong, I really don't think it's to the degree of a "wide array of facial expressions" but I'm happy to be proven wrong "

There are PS3 games with more expressive facial expressions, this is not some cutting edge "wide array" that is enough to justify cutting pokemon.
You said the MC only had one expression, the standard happy smile. I showed you it's not the case and now you're moving the goalpost. It's also not staring ahead in all the shots. It's an anime style, look at other games like this and you'll find it's not that different. We also have only seen a small part of the game.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

And now that they're on the Nintendo Switch, we're creating it with much higher fidelity with higher quality animations. But even more than that, it's coming down to the battle system. We're making sure we can keep everything balanced and give all the Pokemon that appear in the games a chance to shine.
The combat part is BS and they know it. Regional pokemon also get the change to shine regardless of what happens as they are the normal experience for most of the userbase.

And the "higher quality animations" they have shown of old pokemon really stretch the definition of "higher quality".

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
You said the MC only had one expression, the standard happy smile. I showed you it's not the case and now you're moving the goalpost. It's also not staring ahead in all the shots. It's an anime style, look at other games like this and you'll find it's not that different. We also have only seen a small part of the game.

"If I'm wrong, I really don't think it's to the degree of a "wide array of facial expressions" but I'm happy to be proven wrong "

I'm not sure how you can interpret this as "He only has one expression"

Oct 26, 2017
The additional animations they talked about are not for dynamax: they just embiggen the existing ones.

It's more probable it's due to the new camping feature, which is the improved Pokemon Amie.

You don't just "embiggen" the existing animations. You increase the quality of textures to ensure the quality is on part with how large the model is, and see how the animations (as well as other special effects) impact the engine. And then there's the issue with animating the new "Max" moves in relation to the large models.

So yeah, you're making it a lot simpler than it actually is.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
"If I'm wrong, I really don't think it's to the degree of a "wide array of facial expressions" but I'm happy to be proven wrong "

I'm not sure how you can interpret this as "He only has one expression"

yeah, this.

If this were some monumental jump for pokemon, that'd be one thing. But we're re-using models, getting the same pasted-expression protagonist, and spending time on things like "Pokemon but bigger"
Lol when? So far we've only seen the protagonist creepily stare haven't we?

If I'm wrong, I really don't think it's to the degree of a "wide array of facial expressions" but I'm happy to be proven wrong

riq

Feb 21, 2019

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
"We knew at some point we weren't going to be able to indefinitely keep supporting all of the Pokemon"
So y'all strung us along for years telling us you cared about us being able to use our Pokemon in new games just to get our money?

rustyphish

May 13, 2019

And I stick by that. Moving his eyes occasionally doesn't stop that creepy-ass stare into my soul that he does. He's doing it in half the screenshots you linked.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
You don't just "embiggen" the existing animations. You increase the quality of textures to ensure the quality is on part with how large the model is, and see how the animations (as well as other special effects) impact the engine. And then there's the issue with animating the new "Max" moves in relation to the large models.

So yeah, you're making it a lot simpler than it actually is.
I don't see any evidence of the models having higher res textures when giant. The Max moves just use the same 2 attack animations for the Pokemon.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So let's make bets on what Pokemon will never see the light of day again in a mainline Pokemon title.

Phione? Hypno? Alolan Golem?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Do these high quality animations mean that Blastoise can shoot water out of both cannons now?

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Regardless of whether or not they make an attempt to fix this, there absolutely needs to be a list of what's missing BEFORE launch, which sounds like something that should be a given but I'm almost certain it won't be.

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019

It's always unfortunate when human beings need to bare the brunt of hurtful attacks that are essentially just crude surrogates for the transmission of thoughts between people.

That visceral reaction is a lower-tier emotional expression of the same rational points discussed in this thread, yet the suffering caused is totally avoidable.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when people kept asking for a Pokémon game with all of the regions? Now we'll be getting people asking for a Pokémon game with all of the Pokémon.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol @ anyone thinking Gen 1 Pokémon won't ever come back. They're all coming back. Sinnoh and Unuva are getting screwed over.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
not really sure if that's a lie

for a time that was a priority for them. now it no longer is.
Masuda said they knew they wouldn't be able to support them all forever, yet for years they have gone on about how they want to make sure we can continue to use our old Pokemon. Masuda said something similar just TWO weeks ago.
Game Freak is looking scummier by the minute.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not really sure if that's a lie

for a time that was a priority for them. now it no longer is.
They tried to sell Pokemon Home two weeks ago
Also when people were worried about LGPE only having the Kanto roster they said it was just for that game and instead mainline games for longtime players would have the other pokemons back

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I 100% accept the animation argument.

I don't accept the balance one as that's already dealt with through the Black Clover/Blue Pentagon system as well as rulesets. It can be further controlled with changes to learnsets and Egg Moves so I 100% do not buy that statement. I feel that was added to try and convince people it's for the best.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Masuda said they knew they wouldn't be able to support them all forever, yet for years they have gone on about how they want to make sure we can continue to use our old Pokemon. Masuda said something similar just TWO weeks ago.
Game Freak is looking scummier by the minute.
It was just an excuse he had to come up with to try to justy this.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I 100% believe the language in the article

They don't want to support the entire roster forever

Its that simple guys and unless they reverse this philosophy I would expect limited rosters to be standard going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.