• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I 100% accept the animation argument.

I don't accept the balance one as that's already dealt with through the Black Clover/Blue Pentagon system as well as rulesets. It can be further controlled with changes to learnsets and Egg Moves so I 100% do not buy that statement. I feel that was added to try and convince people it's for the best.

If animations were the issue, they should've been scaled back in favor of inclusion, not the other way around.

and if animations are the only issue, I don't see why they can't patch them in down the line.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
What kills me is that they KNEW IN ADVANCE that this was going to happen, and yet they sat around and did fuck all to prevent it.

This whole situation is pathetic and reeks of incompetence. Gamefreak just doesn't give a fuck about their fanbase anymore, and its depressing to see how obvious it is.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Meh. New Pokemon in new generations should always be the priority, hopefully this means we get a healthier amount than XY and SM.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Masuda said they knew they wouldn't be able to support them all forever, yet for years they have gone on about how they want to make sure we can continue to use our old Pokemon. Masuda said something similar just TWO weeks ago.
Game Freak is looking scummier by the minute.
fair enough, didn't hear about him making that statement recently

i've thought about this for a bit and in the end i am not too bothered by their decision to do this so naturally i am not as upset about it as others in here

i do get the backlash though and i don't think it's a good decision for them to make

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
it would feel a lot less scummy if they didn't just announce Home, didn't just talk about how they understand and truly care about everyone's legacy Pokemon, didn't just have an entire Direct to talk about the game...and then just vaguely drop this shit after-the-fact in a random non-announcement video discussion

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
You don't just "embiggen" the existing animations. You increase the quality of textures to ensure the quality is on part with how large the model is, and see how the animations (as well as other special effects) impact the engine. And then there's the issue with animating the new "Max" moves in relation to the large models.

So yeah, you're making it a lot simpler than it actually is.

Two things:
1/ I may be simplifying, but you're doing the opposite: there are no different animations for Max moves as far as I can tell, and the textures are the same.

2/ Still, it's less work than doing 200 Pokemon Refresh animations.

Do these high quality animations mean that Blastoise can shoot water out of both cannons now?

GF: What's a Blastoise?

(I'm kidding, Blastoise has a Mega, it will be in.)

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Most of my top faves have already been confirmed either officially or by leak. Just missing Articuno and Volcarona at this point.... Both of which I could easily see being cut. :( Breloom possibly not making it either... Hmm...

They really should not have strung us along like this if they knew they wouldn't be able to support them all forever.

I'm not too upset on a personal level because I mostly used Pokebank as a cutesy way of circumventing regional dexes to feel special on subsequent playthroughs. But for those who used it as intended, I feel for, and they're why I'm upset and think it's pretty unacceptable what's been done here in stringing us along.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If animations were the issue, they should've been scaled back in favor of inclusion, not the other way around.

and if animations are the only issue, I don't see why they can't patch them in down the line.

They don't want to

The desire to carry all pokemon indefinitely isn't there in plain language

Now its just a matter of standing their ground or caving in to fan demand

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, what are people expecting?

Other IPs with huge Bestiaries had to hit the Reset Button for their first HD entries, what made y'all think Pokemon would be any different?

This is the cost of Going HD. Shin Megami Tensei/Persona and Monster Hunter had to pay the price too.
1. Why waste millions of dollars in manual labor doing running, walking and attacking animations for all 800+ Pokemon ON TOP of Pokemon Amie animations AND revamped voices for all Gameboy to DS era Pokemon for the SOLE PURPOSE of having it be easy lane for the HD console installment...only to discard 54% of them anyway.
2. You discard all of that work and the 'amazing' improvements in animation are still jokes. We should not be gushing over our player avatars finally having basic emoting for social situations. The Pokemon that made the cut re use ALL of the animation assets made 7 years ago. They dont even fucking run up to the opponent like in the Game Cube games.
Many NPCs still just platform table rotate. Come on. Indie anime games do better than this. Especially when so much of your assets are literally future proofed and reused.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao dynamax and the camp thing are not worth losing 500 pokemons over

Its bigger than that

They just don't want to drag the roster into the next generation of games. Its a philosophical change in development priorities not just a technical hurdle

Read the language in the article

They have a new generation of developers wanting to push into new territory

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
They just want to force people to buy every game to make sure they can still play with everyone.
Game Freak doesn't fucking care about its fanbase and are just looking for more ways to squeeze us for money.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
it would be nice if they could confirm the number of pokemon in the galar dex just so we could have *some* idea of the amount being cut

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
No, I think it's 100% genuine

I realize you are being optimistic but its hard to gloss over the language on that article

Its very much them saying they want to focus on the future. One that isn't dragging the past with it as an anchor

Trust me I didn't think Game Freak was capable either but they must be finally looking over their shoulders at all the other japanese devs passing them by

So then what would be the rationale for not putting them in down the line if we agree that it's simply about the work required to animate and it's clearly extremely important to the fans?

Read between the lines from the language of that article man.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Why waste millions of dollars in manual labor doing running, walking and attacking animations for all 800+ Pokemon ON TOP of Pokemon Amie animations AND revamped voices for all Gameboy to DS era Pokemon for the SOLE PURPOSE of having it be easy lane for the HD console installment...only to discard 54% of them anyway.
2. You discard all of that work and the 'amazing' improvements in animation are still jokes. We should not be gushing over our player avatars finally having basic emoting for social situations. The Pokemon that made the cut re use ALL of the animation assets made 7 years ago. They dont even fucking run up to the opponent like in the Game Cube games.
Many NPCs still just platform table rotate. Come on. Indie anime games do better than this. Especially when so much of your assets are literally future proofed and reused.
Also worth saying that the comparison to other franchises isn't even good because they never cared enough about keeping their bestiaries consistent and not a mess. There's a reason they're vastly more unpopular than Pokémon.

They also don't have a studio just for making animations like Creatures.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I feel this thread is too quick for me to catch up. Can someone put up a timeline or bullet-point lists of the current events thus far, and to see if later down the road, we hear back from the developers and/or the community?

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I realize you are being optimistic but its hard to gloss over the language on that article

Its very much them saying they want to focus on the future. One that isn't dragging the past with it as an anchor

Trust me I didn't think Game Freak was capable either but they must be finally looking over their shoulders at all the other japanese devs passing them by

Read between the lines from the language of that article man.

I don't know why you keep replying to me telling me it's their choice. I know, I'm on your side, I agree. I'm asking these questions to point out how ridiculous the excuse is when it's clearly a design choice lol

C-revo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they are doing this. They are gonna ruin the whole franchise with this move. The countless hours of catching, breeding, training and just like that gone.....

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This especially hurts if you're into more obscure mon. Like I am never going to see my precious tynamo in these

This would hurt even less if the models looked good, which they don't, or even did the bare minimum and changed the battle effects, which they didn't

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you keep replying to me telling me it's their choice. I know, I'm on your side, I agree. I'm asking these questions to point out how ridiculous the excuse is when it's clearly a design choice lol

We agree in this im sure

Though the language in that article is definitely more blunt! At least some of it is

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
The real reason is likely Gamefreak understands:

a.) new Pokémon

b.) a new battling gimmick

...are essential for an otherwise identically functioning game with each installment.

They're updating their formula so frequent instalments are sustainable for decades

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
I don't accept the balance one as that's already dealt with through the Black Clover/Blue Pentagon system as well as rulesets. It can be further controlled with changes to learnsets and Egg Moves so I 100% do not buy that statement. I feel that was added to try and convince people it's for the best.
As someone who added 35 Pokemon to Gen 1 recently and had to re-balance everything around the new ones (and never got to properly finish due to time constraints) I accept it. Adding one Pokemon to an environment of 800+ characters usually doesn't upset things too much, but adding 20? 80? Some serious balancing issues can pop up and of course for some to even stand out they need to be stronger than previous generations (leading to the power creep seen with the Tapus and UBs). We've already seen some issues like Gale Wings that seem super obvious in practice and were retooled in the next generation because it ended up way stronger than it seemed on paper.

Hopefully this results in some long-needed balance changes and, taking into consideration Morimoto's quote the other day about Moody being changed, I think it's happening.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018

It's the only thing that truly amazes me.
Why the hell did they do all these walking and running animations for??

Another thing is that they future proofed the models... but will not use them in the future.... AND destroyed the framerate in double battles on the 3DS by doing so for no reason at all.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Politely(!) submitted feedback regarding the decision through their support site. Fingers crossed all of this negative reaction prompts them to change course.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The real reason is likely Gamefreak understands:

a.) new Pokémon

b.) a new battling gimmick

...are essential for an otherwise identically functioning game with each installment.

They're updating their formula so frequent instalments are sustainable for decades

They should have just went full BOTW

Super far in the future, Post apocalypse. Pokemon and environment reclaimed the world. All new mons. Old favorites as fossils Boom

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they are doing this. They are gonna ruin the whole franchise with this move. The countless hours of catching, breeding, training and just like that gone.....
Yes, but you can pay Game Freak to store them in Pokemon Home and then never be able to use them! Aren't they just so thoughtful?

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
As someone who added 35 Pokemon to Gen 1 recently and had to re-balance everything around the new ones (and never got to properly finish due to time constraints) I accept it. Adding one Pokemon to an environment of 800+ characters usually doesn't upset things too much, but adding 20? 80? Some serious balancing issues can pop up and of course for some to even stand out they need to be stronger than previous generations (leading to the power creep seen with the Tapus and UBs). We've already seen some issues like Gale Wings that seem super obvious in practice and were retooled in the next generation because it ended up way stronger than it seemed on paper.

Hopefully this results in some long-needed balance changes and, taking into consideration Morimoto's quote the other day about Moody being changed, I think it's happening.

The thing is, you can remove them from competitive play without removing them from the game entirely. We already do this.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I'd at least like some kind of promise that they'll keep an eye on the excluded Pokemon and ensure all of them get cycled back in once in a while. Instead they only talk about popularity. Frankly that's not what I want to hear when you're going to start excluding Pokemon due to volume. What's the point of Pokemon Home if many of them might stay forgotten forever? Might as well not bother with the service.

And really, the models are very similar to the ones from the 3DS days, as are the animations we've been shown so far. If you're going to make this kind of move you do it when you're able to wow everyone with the huge jump in quality you've accomplished. Not this.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It's the only thing that truly amazes me.
Why the hell did they do all these walking and running animations for??

Another thing is that they future proofed the models... but will not use them in the future.... AND destroyed the framerate in double battles on the 3DS by doing sonfor no reason at all.

Game development is a bitch?

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't they include Pokemon with their old animations for the time being and update them over time for the new game in gen 8 or patch, and I'm sure they have alot of animations already made for those Pokemon in gen 6&7 that would be sufficient.

This is absurd to cut them all altogether.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
The annoying part about his statement is that the animations still leave a lot to be desired tbh.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's downright mind boggling that Gamefreak is being so openly shitty and disrespectful to their fans, and they act like we're just supposed to be okay with that. The worse thing is that it feels like no amount of outrage will change anything since its fucking Pokemon and will sell bucketloads anyway.

Oh, and competitive is straight up fucked too, so that's fun.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't they include Pokemon with their old animations for the time being and update them over time for the new game in gen 8 or patch, and I'm sure they have alot of animations already made for those Pokemon in gen 6&7 that would be sufficient.

This is absurd to cut them all altogether.
Because they no longer care about connectivity within a single generation, they want to force everyone to buy every game to continue to be able to play within a specific generation and they want people to be forced to pay for Pokemon Home indefinitely and not just when new gens come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.