• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
How is the size of the team btw? From the outside looking in it just really seems like the scope of these games have kinda surpassed the development resources but it's hard to draw a line between that and gf having the wrong priorities here

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
They don't want to actively remove Pokemon, they just want to limited the available Pokemon in each game. For example, maybe Slugma and Magcargo aren't available in Sword and Shield but they are available in the Gen 9 games. Your pre-exisiting Magcargo from Gen 7 would be transferable to Gen 9, just not Sword and Shield.
In between those gens please be excited to pay for the ability to look at your Magcargo locked behind glass.

Oct 25, 2017
They don't want to actively remove Pokemon, they just want to limited the available Pokemon in each game. For example, maybe Slugma and Magcargo aren't available in Sword and Shield but they are available in the Gen 9 games. Your pre-exisiting Magcargo from Gen 7 would be transferable to Gen 9, just not Sword and Shield.

Great, I'll happily pay five dollars a year* to keep my pokemon frozen in carbonite for a yet-to-be-determined amount of time.

Assuming they charge money for Home, which I'm sure they will.

Dec 2, 2017
I'd be happy if they were in the game, but I'm okay not being able to import them for not having time to play old versions.

Works for me. This is a very selfish point of view, but yeah.

Doesn't matter because you can't transfer them since they aren't in the game.

That's a fair point! Last time I used the trade system I could tell there's a fair bit of generous players out there.
So you admit your selfish and spiteful for your point of view, good to know.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
How is the size of the team btw? From the outside looking in it just really seems like the scope of these games have kinda surpassed the development resources but it's hard to draw a line between that and gf having the wrong priorities here
Game Freak's last update on their staff size was under 150 and that was last year.
And they are doing multiple HD games at once.
They are horribly understaffed.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight, Let's Go ended up being a sign of what's to come all too literally. Now you're getting species-gated all the same, on a smaller scale by comparison, but still.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
that just sounds like a way for them to force people to pay for multiple years of pokemon home waiting for that generation so they can move their pokemon out of it.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The old Pokemon in this game are using the same old animations.

Its like im talking in circles

Dude its not that it cant be done its that they dont want to

Big difference. Sure they are making sully excuses but they are also stating their design goals and future philosophy as well

Either read between the lines or take the blunt language at face value

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
If Pokémon cut POKÉMON themselves, then I'm out.

This is what happens when people excuse stuff like cutting features like Hard Mode, Battle Frontier, most post-game things, etc.

Now we're losing MOVES (Z-move), FORMS (mega) and POKÉMON even. It's ridiculous.
Yep. There was never any valid reason for introducing new (and well received) features and making them version exclusives instead of building on them in each subsequent game. Secret bases had so much potential.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
IIRC he claimed he was stepping back after Let's Go, but I don't know the specifics of what he actually said.
The thing is, he still has "influence" in the development of these games, so while he's no longer behind the wheel, he's a backseat driver. There are some great things being done to the franchise, lots of improvements to QOL, more methods to play with friends or online, some of the changes to running into pokemon in the wild,etc., but then we have removal of content, and that's a big no no.
I also can't help but groan in despair when people say they're fine with there being less pokemon, as if they couldn't just ignore the pokemon they didn't care about in the first place. So the people who have some of their favorite pokemon unavailable to use in the new games, do they not matter?

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
It's crazy to me how people are justifying this.
Haven't they had future-proofed high fidelity console-level models since X and Y? I haven't seen many move animations being changed, either.
There's absolutely no reason. The national dex didn't exist in Sun and Moon, so it can't be a Pokedex entry issue.
They already have all of the models, Pokemon being transferred over wouldn't require overworld models, either, since they wouldn't be wild Pokemon. Not that that matters either, considering Sun and Moon had walking animations for every single Pokemon that was created up to that point.
It can't be a balance issue either, considering they've NEVER cared about balance before this point.
This decision baffles me, and the people defending it baffle me even more.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Directors probably do not want to deal with the logistics of working with more people.

Not all studios have an obsession to grow, grow and grow.
Then maybe they shouldn't be working on 5 HD games at once with 150 employees.
Pokemon is one of the biggest brands in gaming and Game Freak doesn't treat it as such.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Directors probably do not want to deal with the logistics of working with more people.

Not all studios have an obsession to grow, grow and grow.

Then delay the game. Or actually plan it with more time so TPC can add filler to the anime or other shit with merchandising in order to wait.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At the very least the show will still be able to use whatever Pokemon they want....I hope. 🤨

Once more I'm gonna wait and see what all you can do in Home before I declare Pokemon sent to it are held hostage.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not all that upset about this move. Yes, I'm a filthy Gen Wunner, but there are just too many Pokemon to keep track of at this point. I kind of appreciate them trimming down the number of options available in the game. Maybe cutting the number available in the Galar Dex by half is kind of extreme, but the idea in and of itself seems logical.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
In between those gens please be excited to pay for the ability to look at your Magcargo locked behind glass.
Great, I'll happily pay five dollars a year* to keep my pokemon frozen in carbonite for a yet-to-be-determined amount of time.

Assuming they charge money for Home, which I'm sure they will.
that just sounds like a way for them to force people to pay for multiple years of pokemon home waiting for that generation so they can move their pokemon out of it.
I don't want to defend Game Freak over this awful decision but unless you unless you active transfer something that you know isn't compatible with Sword and Shield then your Pokemon won't be trapped in Home. Even in future gens, assuming the two way transferability remains between Sword and Shield and Home, you'll always be able to keep Pokemon in Sword and Shield that aren't in later titles.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to defend Game Freak over this awful decision but unless you unless you active transfer something that you know isn't compatible with Sword and Shield then your Pokemon won't be trapped in Home. Even in future gens, assuming the two way transferability remains between Sword and Shield and Home, you'll always be able to keep Pokemon in Sword and Shield that aren't in later titles.

Right, but we have no idea how long they plan on keeping Bank alive. There might be a time where it becomes "Transfer them to Home or you'll never get the chance again". And then they're stuck forever.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Stadium 1 on N64 has better Pokemon animations than Sw&Sh

Shit I thought you were joking but it really does look good.

And, worse, the explanation text is quicker and in sync with the animation, unlike the new games...

(Yeah I flinched yesterday when I saw Machoke being hit by hail, the animation, the text explaining what happened and the health bar slooooowly going down.)

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not all that upset about this move. Yes, I'm a filthy Gen Wunner, but there are just too many Pokemon to keep track of at this point. I kind of appreciate them trimming down the number of options available in the game. Maybe cutting the number available in the Galar Dex by half is kind of extreme, but the idea in and of itself seems logical.
The number of Pokemon in the regional dex isn't the issue, the issue is that unlike in previous games if a Pokemon isn't in the region dex it doesn't exist at all.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do have my gripes with the direction of some of the recent games but I've never felt I've been cheated out on content for what I paid.

Well maybe Let's Go but I didn't buy that...

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The number of options available in the game would have already been trimmed down, just like every Pokemon game before it, the issue is that veteran players can't transfer their Pokemon to this game unless they're already available in this game.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me how people are justifying this.
Haven't they had future-proofed high fidelity console-level models since X and Y? I haven't seen many move animations being changed, either.
There's absolutely no reason. The national dex didn't exist in Sun and Moon, so it can't be a Pokedex entry issue.
They already have all of the models, Pokemon being transferred over wouldn't require overworld models, either, since they wouldn't be wild Pokemon. Not that that matters either, considering Sun and Moon had walking animations for every single Pokemon that was created up to that point.
It can't be a balance issue either, considering they've NEVER cared about balance before this point.
This decision baffles me, and the people defending it baffle me even more.

Its not about defending it

Its not about whether its possible

Its just a straight up decision they made for reasons that are important to them

And if you cant fathom the logical reasons why a creative force would want to shift gears, change up priorities, move on then I dont know what else to tell you

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017

Its just a straight up decision they made for reasons that are important to them

And if you cant fathom the logical reasons why a creative force would want to shift gears, change up priorities, move on then I dont know what else to tell you
We're justified to be upset about it. Just because it's their decision doesn't mean it's a good one

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017

transfers from the 3ds/pokmon bank to pkmn home are one way. i highly doubt it'll have a warning about what pokes can then be moved to sword and shield.

i have all my pokes since the gba games moved into the 3ds games. i'd have to check each one to see if they can make it to sword/shield which is ridiculous to ask the consumer to do especially for a franchise aimed at kids.

once they're in there, the only way to keep any pokes not in sword/shield from being deleted, is to pay for pkmn home. that could be years until the next game and/or gen which may or may not let you import them.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018

It's undefendable, doing it correctly was very possible and it's a terrible decision. The logical reasons are less expenses, more profits, and no considerations for hardcore living dexers. We can fathom them just fine.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019

I understand that they made this decision for reasons that are important to them, it's just that none of the reasons they gave are apparent at all from looking at the game. Cutting Megas, Z-Moves, etc doesn't add anything to the game, other than enlarging Pokemon models. Cutting tons of Pokemon from the game doesn't add anything, because the old Pokemon still have the same animations, and most moves likely have the same animations as well aside from the odd Flame Charge-type change. There's really nothing that justifies this.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If they aren't willing to give Pokemon the treatment it deserves then they need to think about making a deal with a different studio or make a secondary studio dedicated to Pokemon.
But they made Pokémon. It's like saying that because G.R.R. Martin is not willing to finish Song of Ice and Fire because he is working with Miyazaki he should give the books to another writer.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they aren't willing to give Pokemon the treatment it deserves then they need to think about making a deal with a different studio or make a secondary studio dedicated to Pokemon.
I honestly think Gamefreak can make great Pokémon games and does a lot of good with the franchise, but I feel like their main heads should change. Masuda has a philosophy that goes directly against content full games and he seems way too easily influenced by mobile.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
We're justified to be upset about it. Just because it's their decision doesn't mean it's a good one

Sure but good lord at some of the language in here

Im not super happy about it either since i skipped a few gens and wanted a chance at some of the stuff i missed but that on me

I inherently recognized that the expanding roster and feature/power creep would eventually force a decision on their end

With a new platform and tons of young employees hungry to make something of their own I dont blame them for ripping band aids

Status
Not open for further replies.