• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
But they made Pokémon. It's like saying that because G.R.R. Martin is not willing to finish Song of Ice and Fire because he is working with Miyazaki he should give the books to another writer.
And both series would probably be better off for it. Just because it's someone else's property doesn't mean we shouldn't criticize stupid ass decisions.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think Gamefreak can make great Pokémon games and does a lot of good with the franchise, but I feel like their main heads should change. Masuda has a philosophy that goes directly against content full games and he seems way too easily influenced by mobile.
agreed. the games haven't been good in some time, and this goes along with that. i honestly would love to see what they could do if they switched pokemon from an annual franchise to a once a generation franchise. the games wouldn't be as incomplete as the 3ds, and they could you actually animate the pokemon again.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they aren't willing to give Pokemon the treatment it deserves then they need to think about making a deal with a different studio or make a secondary studio dedicated to Pokemon.
They want their groceries to be in one bag but they dont want the bag to be heavy.

They kept adding groceries to their bag and even sold people something that let's them move their groceries into the brand new bag and now they wanna put some groceries back and then you realize shit, I wasted my time and money on a living grocery store.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly think Gamefreak can make great Pokémon games and does a lot of good with the franchise, but I feel like their main heads should change. Masuda has a philosophy that goes directly against content full games and he seems way too easily influenced by mobile.

They need a bigger team, it's that simple. Pokemon is one of the biggest gaming franchises and now that we are in the era of HD open world games, Game Freak need to expand if they are going to deliver a satisfying product. This is the most advanced game they have ever made and it's still incredibly crude in many ways compared to most other RPGs or open world games. Game Freak are more than a decade behind most other studios and it's really showing now. They have always cut popular features but now they are cutting whole swathes of Pokemon too, they are having to cut corners everywhere.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
But they made Pokémon. It's like saying that because G.R.R. Martin is not willing to finish Song of Ice and Fire because he is working with Miyazaki he should give the books to another writer.
Apples to Oranges, Books are by one person and games are by many. GRR doesn't need to hire 100s of people to finish his books. A secondary studio would also still be part of Game Freak, but it would allow them to not have to worry about Pokemon hurting their weird obsession with being small.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda sucks that home is essentially useless out the gate. Personally though, I don't mind not being able to have all Pokemon in the game. It's never been something that really bothered me as I never transferred Pokemon to any games. I see why this is a real bummer though to fans. It's not a deal breaker for me personally but I totally get where people are coming from.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need a bigger team, it's that simple. Pokemon is one of the biggest gaming franchises and now that we are in the era of HD open world games, Game Freak need to expand if they are going to deliver a satisfying product. This is the most advanced game they have ever made and it's still incredibly crude in many ways compared to most other RPGs or open world games. Game Freak are more than a decade behind most other studios and it's really showing now. They have always cut popular features but now they are cutting while swathes of Pokemon too, they are having to cut corners everywhere.
I usually defend their desire to not overbudget in this AAA crunch industry, but it's hard to defend when they decide to make so many games at the same time and this ends up in the main releases getting hit by this.

Now they want to make their own original stuff, Pokémon, the mobile games, etc. Then yeah, I get the problem with this. The moment Pokémon start getting cut because they're making too many projects, then they're crossing a line.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Apples to Oranges, Books are by one person and games are by many. GRR doesn't need to hire 100s of people to finish his books. A secondary studio would also still be part of Game Freak, but it would allow them to not have to worry about Pokemon hurting their weird obsession with being small.
How to manage a completely new secondary studio does not affect the decision to want to work in small teams.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
They need a bigger team, it's that simple. Pokemon is one of the biggest gaming franchises and now that we are in the era of HD open world games, Game Freak need to expand if they are going to deliver a satisfying product. This is the most advanced game they have ever made and it's still incredibly crude in many ways compared to most other RPGs or open world games. Game Freak are more than a decade behind most other studios and it's really showing now. They have always cut popular features but now they are cutting whole swathes of Pokemon too, they are having to cut corners everywhere.

that simple?

Have we learned nothing reading articles on this site that throwing money and resources at a problem isnt enough

I usually defend their desire to not overbudget in this AAA crunch industry, but it's hard to defend when they decide to make so many games at the same time and this ends up in the main releases getting hit by this.

Now they want to make their own original stuff, Pokémon, the mobile games, etc. Then yeah, I get the problem with this. The moment Pokémon start getting cut because they're making too many projects, then they're crossing a line.

Its not a "hit" to the game from their perspective if they never intended to develop it to that scale to begin with

This was a deliberate design decision to not carry the weight of the entire roster going forward not some technical or resource hurdle brought on by external factors

They want to change the game and how they make them. Sure its not super evident now in Sword and shield hence all the heat they are taking but they are running with it... for now

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
My brother who lives and works in Japan doesn't seem hopeful about GF changing this decision. Japanese companies are extremely stubborn when they made up their mind.

The only thing that might help if people vote with their wallet.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, just realized this sucks worse than I was thinking as I grabbed Let's Go as an intro Pokemon game for my nephew, and already had to explain to him stuff like Crobat existing, but our Golbat can't turn into it... and I figured hey, this would be his first REAL Pokemon game... but now it actually STILL doesn't open it up to letting me help him out and get to use whatever in game (Admittedly still would largely be stuff in game as is, but it would be real cool to be able to be like "Oh yeah, you think Sandygast is cool? Well, we can't catch one in the game, but I think I can get you one...")

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda sucks that home is essentially useless out the gate. Personally though, I don't mind not being able to have all Pokemon in the game. It's never been something that really bothered me as I never transferred Pokemon to any games. I see why this is a real bummer though to fans. It's not a deal breaker for me personally but I totally get where people are coming from.
I was upset by this at the beginning but I realized the team I made and stuck with since Diamond is still on my copy of Alpha Sapphire, so it probably won't hurt me that much lol. I'm sure the pokemon in the game is still gonna provide a fine pokemon game.

It's just really hard to believe the idea that this change in design will result in a more content rich games later down the line. Also DP Remakes are fucking dead now.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not about defending it

Its not about whether its possible

Its just a straight up decision they made for reasons that are important to them

And if you cant fathom the logical reasons why a creative force would want to shift gears, change up priorities, move on then I dont know what else to tell you
then they have made the wrong decision and I hope the fans make them eat shit for this until they cave, it's just that simple

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Great, the animation excuse again. Be it Pokemon (as Masuda is implying) or even the humans themselves, GF has shown no signs of actual significant improvement in Sword and Shield yet. And what can I say, I doubt they will.

Anyway, no value in continuing discussing this for me, really.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ive been using my Sceptile from Ruby for close to 2 decades now. Thinking about it being cut is just completely disheartening. It has all those league and contest ribbons and its fight is just done if its not in the dex.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Great, the animation excuse again. Be it Pokemon (as Matsuda is implying) or even the humans themselves, GF has shown no signs of actual significant improvement in Sword and Shield yet. And what can I say, I doubt they will.

God it really does look like the 3DS games in HD. Yeah I'm not seeing the worthy tradeoff

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017

They are noticing, hopefully a conference meeting is done between Nintendo, TCP and GameFreak, this could be damaging for the brand the longer the black-lash continues.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Great, the animation excuse again. Be it Pokemon (as Masuda is implying) or even the humans themselves, GF has shown no signs of actual significant improvement in Sword and Shield yet. And what can I say, I doubt they will.

When your 2019 AAA RPG has jankier human animation transitions than Oblivion.

Oct 25, 2017

This is what blew me away with Let's Go also. NPC animations looked like absolute garbage. Inexcusable for a franchise that makes billions of dollars.

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is why I dont buy the idea that they went into Gen 8 with this in mind at all. The ONLY benefit of the doubt I can give is that gen 9 should be actually a huge leap from what Pokemon used to be. We'll know either way eventually.

Personally I don't see that panning out. It'll be the same game we always get but less pokemon.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Compare this to the Dragon Quest XI demo on Treehouse today. It was beautiful and looked like a true Switch title. This...does not. At all.

Just embarrassing.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017

christ. this really puts the animation excuse into perspective. thats sub ps2 era

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually utterly fascinating (in a horrible way) how much this has completely sucked up all of the goodwill Sword & Shield had been building up. Two completely brand new Pokemon were spotted in the E3 demo and no one even cares.

One of them is based on a damn corgi and it's been swallowed up by this.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I mean, what are people expecting?

Other IPs with huge Bestiaries had to hit the Reset Button for their first HD entries, what made y'all think Pokemon would be any different?

Uhm, maybe the fact that Pokémon is the highest-grossing media franchise ever?
yeaaok1.gif

I keep reading this argument about how impossible it is for a videogame to deal with 1000+ creatures.

Yes, currently it might be impossible, it sounds extreme, and it hasn't been done before (I guess) but Pokémon is so important, and it's so successful, that it should be the one pushing these boundaries and make Pokémon the first videogame to achieve this feat. It's the least they could do as the most powerful franchise that there is in their area.

As I've said earlier, technology just keeps getting bigger, better and faster. New and more powerful consoles will come out in the future that will be more than capable to handle 1000+ creatures. But they've already decided that they've reached their limit in terms of how many Pokémon they're willing to deal on each game at a time, from now on.

If they keep this approach as they've threatened, we'll have to see how it reflects in all the other aspects of the games. In future games there won't be excuses if we don't have customized animations for every Pokémon when they make different moves (Blastoise's cannons problem i.e.)

Or the animation of physical moves, like having the actual Pokémon getting closer to the enemy to inflict the attack. The Regional Pokédexes have to look amazing in terms of UI, and so with every other menu, box, etc. Online features have to improve as well, the loading speed, the storyline content, the overworld design, etc. I don't know how many games we'll get this generation, but I suppose Gen IX will come for the Switch as well. If we don't see a huge improvement from SwSh to those games, then it will be very sad to confirm their lack of ambition.

I mean, after SwSh they will have all the Pokémon that appear there ready to use for any other Switch game within this generation. Let's suppose we get DP remakes next, with the missing Pokémon. They only have to work in the missing Pokémon that didn't make it to SwSh (and probably there will be still some missing after DP) and bring over the ones that were already done for SwSh. But I'm 99% sure they won't, because by what they said they just simply don't want to handle the ~900 at the same time on any future game.

As some people said, this is not an indie company with 4 people at a garage. I mean, in a way they kinda are comparing to the size of the franchise. They need to grow in number or outsource if they can't handle it by themselves. I repeat, the highest-grossing media franchise deserves it and is more than capable to afford it.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Uhm, maybe the fact that Pokémon is the highest-grossing media franchise ever?
yeaaok1.gif

I keep reading this argument about how impossible it is for a videogame to deal with 1000+ creatures.

Yes, currently it might be impossible, it sounds extreme, and it hasn't been done before (I guess) but Pokémon is so important, and it's so successful, that it should be the one pushing these boundaries and make Pokémon the first videogame to achieve this feat. It's the least they could do as the most powerful franchise that there is in their area.

As I've said earlier, technology just keeps getting bigger, better and faster. New and more powerful consoles will come out in the future that will be more than capable to handle 1000+ creatures. But they've already decided that they've reached their limit in terms of how many Pokémon they're willing to deal on each game at a time, from now on.

If they keep this approach as they've threatened, we'll have to see how it reflects in all the other aspects of the games. In future games there won't be excuses if we don't have customized animations for every Pokémon when they make different moves (Blastoise's cannons problem i.e.)

Or the animation of physical moves, like having the actual Pokémon getting closer to the enemy to inflict the attack. The Regional Pokédexes have to look amazing in terms of UI, and so with every other menu, box, etc. Online features have to improve as well, the loading speed, the storyline content, the overworld design, etc. I don't know how many games we'll get this generation, but I suppose Gen IX will come for the Switch as well. If we don't see a huge improvement from SwSh to those games, then it will be very sad to confirm their lack of ambition.

I mean, after SwSh they will have all the Pokémon that appear there ready to use for any other Switch game within this generation. Let's suppose we get DP remakes next, with the missing Pokémon. They only have to work in the missing Pokémon that didn't make it to SwSh (and probably there will be still some missing after DP) and bring over the ones that were already done for SwSh. But I'm 99% sure they won't, because by what they said they just simply don't want to handle the ~900 at the same time on any future game.

As some people said, this is not an indie company with 4 people at a garage. I mean, in a way they kinda are comparing to the size of the franchise. They need to grow in number or outsource if they can't handle it by themselves. I repeat, the highest-grossing media franchise deserves it and is more than capable to afford it.
Yep. Basically they're taking away the one thing Pokémon ever really excelled at. Without the large quantity of monsters and the deep meta game it's just a mediocre RPG for kids

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually utterly fascinating (in a horrible way) how much this has completely sucked up all of the goodwill Sword & Shield had been building up. Two completely brand new Pokemon were spotted in the E3 demo and no one even cares.

One of them is based on a damn corgi and it's been swallowed up by this.
Who could have guessed that Pokemon are the fanbase's favorite part of the series?

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing this game will have an incredibly deep postgame that justifies raising and breeding your Pokemon afterwards!

haha

EDIT: And I still can't believe they have the audacity to charge you for the opportunity to put your Pokemon behind glass with no idea whether they'll ever be able to see the light of day again. Absolute master stroke.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Just read the interview. Hope you guys like Kanto. "fan favorites" get the fuck out of here. We know what GF thinks those are.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017

I wouldn't say that's true; I've seen plenty of enthusiasm for Yamper and Impidimp. But yeah, the initial backlash to the reveal (mostly disappointment in the visuals) was giving way to goodwill only for now there to be a full-fledged shitstorm. And I honestly think it's fully justified. It's not every day I support, like, "angry gamer" campaigns, but I truly hope people don't let this go and Nintendo actually acquiesces in some way. Or at least acknowledges people's upset.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017

jesus fucking christ GameFreak

C-revo

Oct 25, 2017
If they need help then it's not like they would be unable to get it. I'm sure developers all around the world would be more than willing to help. Nintendo needs to step in or watch one of their cash cows disappear.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This is laughable.

Ps1 level. Chrono Cross models moved more fluid than this.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
This is so stupid. Just announce the National Pokedex is coming by way of a post-launch update and with that, the missing Pokemon. They don't even need to be made obtainable in the game, just make it so they can be transferred from previous games.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
If they need help then it's not like they would be unable to get it. I'm sure developers all around the world would be more than willing to help. Nintendo needs to step in or watch one of their cash cows disappear.
Their priorities are elsewhere and Pokemon is suffering, they have their fingers in 3 pies, mobile games, town and Pokemon series which is split into 2 teams. There wouldn't be a problem if half of the team wasn't involved on other projects lol

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Given that this is their policy going forward, what I don't understand is whether the cut pokemon are cut for good, or will reach region have its own selection of the total roster.

It'll be quite bad if they just completely eliminate certain Pokemon for good.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Their priorities are elsewhere and Pokemon is suffering, they have their fingers in 3 pies, mobile games, town and Pokemon series which is split into 2 teams. There wouldn't be a problem if half of the team wasn't involved on other projects lol
Don't forget Project Gear, which is said to be Game Freak's focus OVER Pokemon.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I keep going back and fourth on this. On one hand, I get it, they made a big game and adding all 800 Pokemon must be a huge undertaking. People wanted pokemon in the overworld, and the game to look better, and pokemon to be more detailed. At some point, they probably have to make some sacrifices.

That being said, we don't know how many. Like is there only 400? 200? 700? Depending on that number it might make this a bit easier, but I feel like we'll have primarily the "popular" pokemon.

And with either number it would still suck.

I think we're all expecting 350-400 at least, 500 at most. That would be almost half the 'mons getting scrapped. However, if they somehow include, let's say 700, 750 that would be "better" but then it would be like, why couldn't they include the few dozens that were left? It would be even more hurtful for those expecting to see their favorite Pokémon to know that precisely their fave fell in that small selected group of doomed Pokémon lol

Status
Not open for further replies.