• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Great, the animation excuse again. Be it Pokemon (as Masuda is implying) or even the humans themselves, GF has shown no signs of actual significant improvement in Sword and Shield yet. And what can I say, I doubt they will.

Anyway, no value in continuing discussing this for me, really.

The lack of ambitions from GameFreak's management is honestly appalling. All this stuff, the crappy animations, the lackluster performance (who's looking forward to framerate drops in this already visually underwhelming game that probably runs at a mere 30fps?), the (eventually) underwhelming endgame content, the poor storytelling, and so on and so forth. It remains like that because...they're apparently fine with it? They have all the money in the world and a massive fanbase but, somehow they don't feel like investing much into anything. Boggles my mind that shit like the bad performance, which results in development struggles, too, I imagine, didn't lead them to invest into some damned good new engine and engine programmers (or consider transitioning to e.g. UE4). No, billions at their hand, but they're still happy to deliver games that look at least a tier behind e.g. NIntendo's good dev studios and can't keep up in regards to framerate, either.

I wouldn't mind GameFreak desiring to stay a bit smaller scale if they were actually very competent at what they do already. But, well...

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Given that this is their policy going forward, what I don't understand is whether the cut pokemon are cut for good, or will reach region have its own selection of the total roster.

It'll be quite bad if they just completely eliminate certain Pokemon for good.

It's going to be an absolute fucking mess going forward. Each game will have different lineups of Pokemon. You'll have to look up which Pokemon are compatible with each game. It's going to be a jumbled mess.

C-revo

Oct 25, 2017
Their priorities are elsewhere and Pokemon is suffering, they have their fingers in 3 pies, mobile games, town and Pokemon series which is split into 2 teams. There wouldn't be a problem if half of the team wasn't involved on other projects lol
I forgot about Town. That pet project may be doa if this continues.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Given that this is their policy going forward, what I don't understand is whether the cut pokemon are cut for good, or will reach region have its own selection of the total roster.

The way Masuda talked made it sound like they'll choose Pokémon on a game-by-game basis. What worries me about that is doing so means you may have to wait years between games before you can use a specific Pokémon again, depending on how they cycle through the roster.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Fifteen years down the line Game Freak will suddenly realize that they haven't included Heatran in a game since Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon.

"Oops."

---

These guys were seriously trying to sell Pokemon Home not even a month ago.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be an absolute fucking mess going forward. Each game will have different lineups of Pokemon. You'll have to look up which Pokemon are compatible with each game. It's going to be a jumbled mess.
They probably won't even bother having any compatibility between games in the same gen outside of Home transferring. Why bother when the rosters are different and they can squeeze people for more money?

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
Seeing how Gamefreak is refusing to budge, there's three things I need to know before I even consider these games again:
1. How many Pokemon will be in the Galar dex?
2. How many new Pokemon will there be?
3. Will Pokemon who aren't in Sword and Shield appear in later Gen 8 games? Or will we have to wait until Gen 9 or Gen 10, etc? Will some Pokemon never appear again?

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

Each region will have its own walled-off set of Pokemon. You may have to wait years for certain Pokemon to become playable again.

Hard to believe that there will probably be several Alola Pokemon that don't even make it to Sword and Shield. If Oranguru and Minior don't make it I'm going to cry a little bit...

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how Gamefreak is refusing to budge, there's three things I need to know before I even consider these games again:
1. How many Pokemon will be in the Galar dex?
2. How many new Pokemon will there be?
3. Will Pokemon who aren't in Sword and Shield appear in later Gen 8 games? Or will we have to wait until Gen 9 or Gen 10, etc? Will some Pokemon never appear again?
It's only been a little over a day, it will take time for them to announce they are reversing course on this policy. People just need to keep making noise.
It took what, a few weeks for the MM2 change to be announced? I wouldn't be surprised that if they are going to change this that they make the announcement in like an August or September Direct or something.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
The lack of ambitions from GameFreak's management is honestly appalling. All this stuff, the crappy animations, the lackluster performance (who's looking forward to framerate drops in this already visually underwhelming game that probably runs at a mere 30fps?), the (eventually) underwhelming endgame content, the poor storytelling, and so on and so forth. It remains like that because...they're apparently fine with it? They have all the money in the world and a massive fanbase but, somehow they don't feel like investing much into anything. Boggles my mind that shit like the bad performance, which results in development struggles, too, I imagine, didn't lead them to invest into some damned good new engine and engine programmers (or consider transitioning to e.g. UE4). No, billions at their hand, but they're still happy to deliver games that look at least a tier behind e.g. NIntendo's good dev studios and can't keep up in regards to framerate, either.

I wouldn't mind GameFreak desiring to stay a bit smaller scale if they were actually very competent at what they do already. But, well...

It all just makes me sad. My favourite franchise in the hands of a company that seemingly is not willing to invest to get their games up to MODERN DAY STANDARDS. Holy fuck, that animation clip just infuriated me. Those kind of animations in a fucking 60 dollar 2019 Switch game.

The games have always felt like GameBoy titles and it looks to be like this will be no different. Fucking static bullshit that belongs in the early 2000s.

Over/under on when these games will get voice acting and animated cutscenes? My guess is in the 2030s.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We all know the future of regional dexes going forward.

60 new Pokémon +

hqdefault.jpg

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Another thing to consider here is that the pokemon that make the least sense of appearing in a different region, like starters and legendaries, are also some of the most popular pokemon in the franchise.

Are they seriously going to cut out Mewtwo, or even Zapdos?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I've had a kinda joking tone but the gaming press does need to seriously grill them about this. Outright not acceptable.
Pokemon Home + SwSh cutting Pokemon + Game Freak saying for years that they care about our connection with our Pokemon + Masuda saying they knew they'd eventually have to stop supporting every Pokemon all comes together to make one of the scummiest situations I've seen in gaming. I see this as on par with any EA controversy.

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
Each region will have its own walled-off set of Pokemon. You may have to wait years for certain Pokemon to become playable again.

Hard to believe that there will probably be several Alola Pokemon that don't even make it to Sword and Shield. If Oranguru and Minior don't make it I'm going to cry a little bit...
Minior is my second favorite mon ever. I even breed a shiny to transfer to Sword. I'm going to cry if I have to leave him behind. :(((
It's only been a little over a day, it will take time for them to announce they are reversing course on this policy. People just need to keep making noise.
It took what, a few weeks for the MM2 change to be announced? I wouldn't be surprised that if they are going to change this that they make the announcement in like an August or September Direct or something.
I have no faith in Gamefreak anymore...

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not that it's ever gonna happen, but at this point I just wish another studio could take a crack at a mainline game.

I'm just done with gamefreak. They've gotten away with a lot of shit over the years - the removal of features, their asinine disregard for post-game, their constant handholding etc.

I'm glad to see them being hauled over the coals for this though. I doubt they'll care though and the games will still sell millions.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it's insane to me because like, Game Freak has clung HARD to carefully keeping near every facet and little detail in the games up until now. I mean, any other developer would have tidied up any number of weird evolution/pre-evolution methods by now that have required an increasing number of specific items and locations to appear in each game, all for the sake of maintaining that precise continuity... and now they're straight cutting Pokemon. Or maybe this is their solution to that, and they care more about maintaining the continuity than the Pokemon?

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, it's insane to me because like, Game Freak has clung HARD to carefully keeping near every facet and little detail in the games up until now. I mean, any other developer would have tidied up any number of weird evolution/pre-evolution methods by now that have required an increasing number of specific items and locations to appear in each game, all for the sake of maintaining that precise continuity... and now they're straight cutting Pokemon. Or maybe this is their solution to that, and they care more about maintaining the continuity than the Pokemon?
If you look at their yearly revenues before and after Pokémon Go release, you'll get why they're doing the things they're doing now.

They want the spotlight on the 151, the nostalgia money making machine is too much of a focus for them, they want to streamline things as much as possible to be closer to mobile.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
The only thing that make this ok to me is if competitive battling was migrated to Pokemon Home and the new games just became ways to get new Pokemon to import to Home for people interested in battling but, yeah I'm not holding my breath for this I doubt Game Freak wants to split the main games this way even if it would mean forcing people to subscribe to Home to compete in VGC or anything. Just dealing with compartmentalizing my past love for the series with no longer playing new entries and being ok with what I experienced and letting go. I was really looking forward to the VGC format for SwSh but its just not worth it.

I wanted Game Freak to trash their games since I'm a big Trubbish fan, but not like this.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

They are noticing, hopefully a conference meeting is done between Nintendo, TCP and GameFreak, this could be damaging for the brand the longer the black-lash continues.

As a Britney fan lol we already experienced something similar back in April, I feel like having a deja vu. We started tweeting this #FreeBritney hashtag to stop her (still) ongoing conservatorship and tweets started to disappear if they had that hashtag or similars. On Instagram if you try to comment with it it will automatically be removed.

But we gotta keep fighting.

Who could have guessed that Pokemon are the fanbase's favorite part of the series?

tbh
whatitellu.gif

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
As a Britney fan lol we already experienced something similar back in April, I feel like having a deja vu. We started tweeting this #FreeBritney hashtag to stop her (still) ongoing conservatorship and tweets started to disappear if they had that hashtag or similars. On Instagram if you try to comment with it it will automatically be removed.

But we gotta keep fighting.

tbh
whatitellu.gif

I love that Britney Spears and Pokémon for some reason always manage to encounter each other. I wonder if SwSh is gonna be delayed and release alongside another Britney album like the other gens lol

Also, why are gifs so tiny?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Whats super fucked up about Pokemon Home is its a one way trip for ALL supported games except SwSh. You transfer your Pokemon from the past games, and the majority of them are stuck there until they release the next game and limit what you can transfer to that game. In no way is this a good idea of acceptable.

I didn't realize how much everyone hated Gen 1 until this thread.
This will probably be the highest gen 1 hate will get, and for good reason. Of all 8 generations you can bet your sweet ass Gen 1 will have the biggest share of Pokemon in this game, and with this dumb ass decision that means all the people who favor other generations are kinda getting shit on.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Whats super fucked up about Pokemon Home is its a one way trip for ALL supported games except SwSh. You transfer your Pokemon from the past games, and the majority of them are stuck there until they release the next game and limit what you can transfer to that game. In no way is this a good idea of acceptable.
It's just crazy how absolutely unappealing they've suddenly made Pokemon Home.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IDK the first 151 will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm old af tho. I consider myself more of a casual fan. I've only played Red, ORAS, and USUM. I feel like first gen has more appeal to the casual fan and newcomers. Like everyone knows who Pikachu is. It makes sense to over expose them.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize how much everyone hated Gen 1 until this thread.
I mean, I don't hate Gen 1, but I DO hate the ridiculous degree of push it gets above everything else, because I love all Pokemon. And the fact that we're obviously going to get more of them here than anything else, especially when they JUST pulled Let's Go with those BS Pokemon restrictions, definitely annoys me, when tons of other Pokemon are going to get locked out.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Not that it's ever gonna happen, but at this point I just wish another studio could take a crack at a mainline game.

I'm just done with gamefreak. They've gotten away with a lot of shit over the years - the removal of features, their asinine disregard for post-game, their constant handholding etc.

I'm glad to see them being hauled over the coals for this though. I doubt they'll care though and the games will still sell millions.

Agree and I've been done with them for a while. This whole transfer fiasco is so stupid it's almost hard to believe it's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.