• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think from what we've seen the "KANTO PANDERING!" might be a bit overblown.

We've also been plenty of Pokemon folks don't really consider super popular so I don't think it's just gonna be that.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think from what we've seen the "KANTO PANDERING!" might be a bit overblown.

We've also been plenty of Pokemon folks don't really consider super popular so I don't think it's just gonna be that.
leon.jpg

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know but seriously the list of the confirmed PokeDex has been pretty evenly distributed for the most part

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Man this is a real bummer and maybe I'm being petty but it's completely sunk my hype for the game. I may still end up getting it but I've never been more unsure of a new generation of Pokemon than now as to me it feels like yet another step back as every Pokemon game has taken since Black and White 2.

I didn't realize how much everyone hated Gen 1 until this thread.

I think it's less hatred and more just exasperation. For people who have grown up with Pokemon and have kept up with the new games and generations as they've come out, it's tiring to see the interesting designs of the other 700+ Pokemon get shafted for Charizard and Mewtwo for the umpteenth time.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

if this isn't lying, it's being intentionally misleading

What people don't realize about this is Pokemon Home will be the only place to store all your Pokemon going forward. We'll never again be able to keep our Pokemon all on one cartridge because compatibility will change with each game. Meaning they all have to be stored in Home. Which will have a price.

Just wait until they end support for Pokemon Bank and force transfers to Home. Pokemon will either be eternally stuck on the 3DS or stuck in Home (and you'll be paying to keep them there unless you want to lose everything) while you wait to transfer them to a game they're compatible with.

It's all just disgusting and is a slap in the face to fans.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Just give me Minior, Gamefreak, you insufferable shits.
I know but seriously the list of the confirmed PokeDex has been pretty evenly distributed for the most part

Yeah, it actually does have a pretty healthy amount of stuff from 5, 6 and 7 thus far.

I think its likely that Sinnoh will get screwed the hardest because I can see them waiting to make most of the Gen 4 Pokemon for the inevitable D/P remakes.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
What people don't realize about this is Pokemon Home will be the only place to store all your Pokemon going forward. We'll never again be able to keep our Pokemon all on one cartridge because compatibility will change with each game. Meaning they all have to be stored in Home. Which will have a price.

Just wait until they end support for Pokemon Bank and force transfers to Home. Pokemon will either be eternally stuck on the 3DS or stuck in Home (and you'll be paying to keep them there unless you want to lose everything) while you wait to transfer them to a game they're compatible with.

It's all just disgusting and is a slap in the face to fans.
I don't think I have ever been this disappointed in a upcoming game. And that comes from someone who played every pokemon go and has played pokemon go for 9070 km in less then one year.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
I fully expect all of the Gen 1 pokemon to make the cut, as well as their cross-gen evolutions. Given that the main argument for this change is the work involved with the 3D models and animations, any pokemon that was in Let's Go would supposedly have less work involved with it, plus they wouldn't want to antagonize Switch owners that got into Pokemon with Let's Go.

Leak spoilers
This also makes sense given the rumored Farfetch'd evo.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I honestly never thought my hype for a new generation of Pokemon would be so deflated. I have over 1500 Pokemon in my bank that I have had since my original copy of Sapphire. Transferred them over with each game as time went on. And I either keep them on my 3DS for who knows how long, or transfer them all over to Home where they will be stuck for god knows when.

If Gamefreak doesn't have the resources or manpower to make all Pokemon work in their new games they need to hire more people, and use more of the extreme amounts of money they make. They make one of the biggest gaming IPs in the world. They can afford to invest more than what they do in their mainline Pokemon titles. What is the point of transferring Pokemon if you can't use them? God its so fucking dumb. I need to go talk about Banjo in Smash or something.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I fully expect all of the Gen 1 pokemon to make the cut, as well as their cross-gen evolutions. Given that the main argument for this change is the work involved with the 3D models and animations, any pokemon that was in Let's Go would supposedly have less work involved with it, plus they wouldn't want to antagonize Switch owners that got into Pokemon with Let's Go.

Leak spoilers
This also makes sense given the rumored Farfetch'd evo.

Nice, more Gen 1 pandering and fuck the other gens by removing pokemons.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
The current 'Dex standings are as followed if anyone is interested:

Kanto - 35 (23.18% of Gen 1)
Johto - 19 (19% of Gen 2)
Hoenn - 23 (17.04% of Gen 3)
Sinnoh - 24 (22.02% of Gen 4)
Unova - 28 (17.95% of Gen 5)
Kalos - 17 (23.61% of Gen 6)
Alola - 14 (15.91% of Gen 7)
Galar - 12 shown, 18 confirmed

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Sooooooo... How many Pokemon are in the game?
Like 500 or less?
Sun and Moon had around 400 you can get in the game. and XY had like 450? So somewhere around there. Considering the reasoning why Pokemon outside of the Galar dex aren't compatible I would bet the number of available Pokemon will be smaller than those numbers even.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They're just waiting before dumping all the 151 in this game.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Pokemon count is pretty inflated becuase of evos

most people only care about final evo Pokemon

now there are some split evos namely eevee

and some involved Pokemon are used still namely porygon 2

but they aren't actually balancing 800 Pokemon
it's really only the final evos that matter for balancing for the most part

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon count is pretty inflated becuase of evos

most people only care about final evo Pokemon

now there are some split evos namely eevee

and some involved Pokemon are used still namely porygon 2

but they aren't actually balancing 800 Pokemon
it's really only the final evos that matter for balancing for the most part

how many uniques mons there are?

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I love that Britney Spears and Pokémon for some reason always manage to encounter each other. I wonder if SwSh is gonna be delayed and release alongside another Britney album like the other gens lol

Also, why are gifs so tiny?

The gifs I took them from the Exhale forum, and that's the size they use, 55px :p

And I wish she released B10 this year to not break the tradition of 20 years, but if the messy situation with her father and the conservatorship continues after the hearings in August and September, I don't think she'll be in the mood to hit the studio or release anything :(

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I know this may be radical but I do think some intervention is need here. The Pokemon Company needs these to be mandated:

1. All Pokemon can be transferable Day 1.
2. Mega Evolutions, Alola forms, Z-Moves all must be transferable as well and return.

Gamefreak likes to argue "balance" issues when in reality the metagames they design only support a handful of Pokemon.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
It will be extra funny (read: sad) when we find out near all the Kanto mons are in the game considering we just had a damn Kanto remake last year

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't realize how much everyone hated Gen 1 until this thread.

It's iconic yes, nostalgic too. The designs are definitely great. BUT it's had too much representation lately. It's games have been remade quite a few times compared to like gen 4 and 5. The worse thing is that it will probably be a large proportion of this reduced dex.

It doesn't help that LGPE were such an oversimplified mess.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how.much GF promoted double battles for some time now, they still haven't really built the campaign more around that aspect

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
X/Y had 457
S/M had 300
US/UM had 400

so depends on if they feel like doing an XY or a SM and expanding it later. (or an entirely new number of course)
I'd be surprised if Sword and Shield didn't have more than X and Y. I think it'll probably be similar percentage wise and have around 65% so a Dex count somewhere around 575.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I can't at the amount of hate Jynx in particular gets.

I love her and I hope she makes the cut along with Magmar, Electabuzz, Mr. Mime, Hypno, Wigglytuff, Lickitung, Starmie, Omastar, Rapidash, Victreebel, Vileplume, Tangela, Venomoth, Muk and Weezing.

If there's any gen 1 Pokémon that wouldn't make a cut it would be Jynx. Game Freak does everything in their power so people can forget it exists haha

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I know this may be radical but I do think some intervention is need here. The Pokemon Company needs these to be mandated:

1. All Pokemon can be transferable Day 1.
2. Mega Evolutions, Alola forms, Z-Moves all must be transferable as well and return.

Gamefreak likes to argue "balance" issues when in reality the metagames they design only support a handful of Pokemon.

Plus the balance issues come from their stupid, misguided gimmicks.

It's only been 3 years and they're trying to wash their hands of Z Moves while promoting Dynamaxing. It's sad.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be surprised if Sword and Shield didn't have more than X and Y. I think it'll probably be similar percentage wise and have around 65% so a Dex count somewhere around 575.
Usually I'm not a fan of them having such inflated regional dexes but with this new compatibility news now I hope they stuff as many as they can in the game lol

Feb 22, 2019

At least 9 of Johto and Sinnoh are evos/pre-evos of Kanto Pokémon and 1 from Kalos (Sylveon).

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Usually I'm not a fan of them having such inflated regional dexes but with this new compatibility news now I hope they stuff as many as they can in the game lol
I almost made a thread before all this about how I disliked how XY felt too bloated with its Regional Dex and Sun and Moon felt much more purposeful with it, and how the Pokemon Direct made me feel like they were just gonna toss every Pokemon in the Wild Area.

That wouldn't have aged well.

KsG

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I don't have high hopes for my boy Luxray to be in this. It will be a sad day if I can't take my Luxray from Gen 4 into Sword/Shield and get ribbons for him.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Most of my favorites are legendaries, so I'm resigned to not being able to import my favorites already.

Maybe they will have a decent legendary hunt for the post game. Would love to get the Tapus and the dogs.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
The sad things is sword and shield look so good

I wonder if nintendo can step in like Iwata did all those years ago

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Plus the balance issues come from their stupid, misguided gimmicks.
It's only been 3 years and they're trying to wash their hands of Z Moves while promoting Dynamaxing. It's sad.

You know what's funny? Masuda said that "even more than that, it's the Battle System", and then he talked about balance as the main reason for all of this. And we know that this is complete and utter bullshit.

We had all of the Pokemon in Gen 7. All. of. them. No issues. But now, we're adding another ~90 Pokemon, and suddelny there's a "balance" issue? 800 Pokemon, no problem. But once you arbitrarily get to 890 Pokemon, all these balance issues start emerging apparently.

It's all bullshit.

The sad things is sword and shield look so good

Does it really? The Wild Area is looks like it's mostly sporting textures from the Nintendo 64.

Y37Pihi.png

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
If there's any gen 1 Pokémon that wouldn't make a cut it would be Jynx. Game Freak does everything in their power so people can forget it exists haha

Besides Kanto and Johto, and obviously Let's Go, it has just appeared in the latest Alolan Pokédex, as well as in Kalos. It appears in two Pokémon Ranger dexes, and not so relevant but it was relatively recently featured in Pokémon Go for the winter/Holidays event. And even if it wasn't on the Sinnoh Pokédex, it was one of the catchable Pokémon post-game.

I think they've moved on from those old controversies years ago. Kadabra despite not appearing in the TCG again, has appeared in lots of regional dexes, and Porygon + evolutions as well.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
You know what's funny? Masuda said that "even more than that, it's the Battle System", and then he talked about balance as the main reason for all of this. And we know that this is complete and utter bullshit.

We had all of the Pokemon in Gen 7. All. of. them. No issues. But now, we're adding another ~90 Pokemon, and suddelny there's a "balance" issue? 800 Pokemon, no problem. But once you arbitrarily get to 890 Pokemon, all these balance issues start emerging apparently.

It's all bullshit.

The balance has gotten worse since Gen 5 but it has nothing to do with the number of Pokemon, rather the introduction of too many legendaries and some overpowered mechanics like permanent weather and mega evolutions. There is no guarantee that reducing the number of available Pokemon will help with this. Gen 1 has the least Pokemon and was the most fundamentally broken and unbalanced.

Secondly, legendaries are some of the most popular Pokémon in the franchise and I just can't see them getting cut...

Status
Not open for further replies.