• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ik everyone is hating on this but like it had to happen eventually? They can't just keep adding Pokémon without having to remove some eventually. 1000+ Pokémon is not sustainable
How does Sun/Moon have 807 Pokemon in it, plus walking and running animations for each one, but the Switch isn't able to add 100 on top of that?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ik everyone is hating on this but like it had to happen eventually? They can't just keep adding Pokémon without having to remove some eventually. 1000+ Pokémon is not sustainable
Their whole studio's success is based on this franchise. They just need to keep adaptating the monsters to this. GF even has Creature just to design the models and 3DS had 800~ models with no problem, this shouldn't be where they get to a limit at all, it's not like Pokémon is a graphics powerhouse AAA game.

Nov 1, 2017
Jeez, I just read the interview and I don't even know what to say that won't get me banned.

I'll just be happy that I now have an extra $60+ to spend on other games and enjoy the memes that will come from this.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I don't like this. It's Pokemon. Gotta Catch Em All. How can you not have all the pokemon???

Like, if they had done this starting with Gen 2- then I would get it. But we've had every single Pokemon in the Dex since Gen 2 up until Lets Go. C'mon.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Maybe if they actually gave the Pokemon new animations each game, but that's not the case. They're still reusing the old 3ds animations and models with only new textures and a few new animations or model tweaks here and there. If they wanted to make people accept cutting Pokemon they should have been putting much more effort to make this game look completely new.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
It is sustainable if they stop rushing into every new generation - historically it's been every 3-4 years and multiple games get squeezed in those years. I'd say it's time to slow it down and deliver quality games but it's just not how they operate. It's simply a series that has always thrived on quantity before quality - which is not to say they haven't put out quality games but usually the first games in a new generation are lacking compared to later releases.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

Then they should find a way to make it sustainable with all the resources they have (the money they have to hire as many people are needed to achieve this with anticipation).

They got us accustomed to it (having every existing Pokémon on every new MAIN game) and now they're taking it away from us, despite igniting our hopes with Pokémon Home just TWO weeks ago.

They should've thought about it before creating Pokémon Bank and kill our hopes since Gen VI.

The thing is, what's gonna happen in the future? We'll have these rotating rosters every new game. There won't be compatibility between different pairs of versions within the same generation. But then, Pokémon Home or whatever becomes its successor would still have to handle all the existing Pokémon, whether they can be sent to a main game or not. There'll come a day then, when not even the Pokémon Home / successor will be able to handle the entire National Dex, because reasons, and the restrictions will be put to which Pokémon can even be sent to Home at all.

I just don't know how to explain to people commenting like "meh I'm fine" or "it was coming sooner or later" or "what'd you expect?" that Pokémon is just something else. No comparisons to other videogames are valid, because Pokémon is beyond everything. Its nature has managed to put it in such a unique place and the fact that so many people have received this news so negatively proves how important and unusual it is.

If we all agreed that there are some disposable Pokémon, and it was obvious to all of us which Pokémon have to go and which ones need to stay, we would've all reacted positively to it and be like "yes, is the right and obvious thing to do".

But no, all the fans comprehend the nature of Pokémon, and the devotion it represents for so many of us, with every single Pokémon creature they've introduced.

And yes, we understand they're most likely not able to cope with so many with the amount of people working on the games right now. That's why they should grow as a company, or find help outsourcing other studios. Pokémon just deserves better.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I just found this clip. The animation on those wingull is really something. I feel completely comforted knowing we had to sacrifice the national dex for this step up in quality.

Yep, when it got to that part of the treehouse the call I was in burst out in combined laughter at the shitty T-posing Wingull flocks hovering a few centimeters above the ground with robotic movement. Coupled with the launch Dreamcast textures and Oblivion low foliage setting grass meshes, the wild areas are very unimpressive.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Now we hope for a new Fossil Fighters for an actual good monster collecting game.

DO IT NINTENDO
At this point, Nintendo should just make a completely new monster catching series "featuring" some Pokemon as guest characters. It'd certainly overshadow Gamefreak's future games if they're sabotaging themselves like this.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about this and the more I read from that interview with Masuda, the more I think that there's something else going on here. Some plan to monetize the shit out the franchise even more or something. I don't know. But the explanations being given by Game Freak make zero sense. None at all.

Maybe the plan all along was to force people into Home, charge for it, and then disallow players from being able to store those Pokemon in the games, thereby necessitating something like Home. All they have to do is end support for Bank and players won't have a choice.

All this talk about animations, balance, etc, doesn't come anywhere close to justifying the removal of hundreds of Pokemon in these games.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain why? 800 was reached with last gen and there was no indication then they were going to do this. Yet you add a handful more and the system they had in place over the last decade plus suddenly collapses on itself?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
They probably have crazy deadlines with the anime and TCG in play. No doubt they have to cull anything that won't be done on time, and this time around they had to cut a lot more than they would've wanted.

But everything is getting leaked with the demo datamine anyway. They just need to let the anime do its own thing, and accept that the Pokemon will be revealed in full before the games come out.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pkthygj86.jpg
amazing

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain why? 800 was reached with last gen and there was no indication then they were going to do this. Yet you add a handful more and the system they had in place over the last decade plus suddenly collapses on itself?
You could argue that pushing the national Dex to Pokémon Bank was an early warning sign that this might happen, but nobody thought they'd actually be crazy enough to remove Pokémon.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It says they have to rebuild every model from scratch that's the total opposite to what everyone is saying on here.
The hell? I think that the models for Sword and Shield are IDENTICAL to the models they've been using since Gen 6.

If true, it really seems like they're bullshitting us at this point.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, Nintendo should just make a completely new monster catching series "featuring" some Pokemon as guest characters. It'd certainly overshadow Gamefreak's future games if they're sabotaging themselves like this.
I would be up for it.

I think it's lame how they dropped their other "monster collecting" series. Feels like Custom Robo, Fossil Fighters, Kurikin and Card Hero all were cut off to not take space from Pokémon. I mean, I get that some don't sell well (like Kurikin), but the other 3 had a few entries with decent success and could keep going.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Translated with google translate so take with a grain of salt.

In regards to Masuda's feelings on excluding Pokemon.

"Masuda This decision is personally sad and sad. Of course, I wanted to be able to bring all Pokemon if I could do it, but it was also a decision that I had to make some day. In the end, I had no choice but to choose the quality. "

Original Text -
増田 今回の決断は個人的には寂しいし、悲しいことです。もちろん、できることならすべてのポケモンを連れてこられるようにしたかったのですが、いつかはせねばならない決断でもありました。最終的にはクオリティーを選択せざるを得なかったのです。

Well for all our sakes I hope to see some of this quality. Not looking so great right now.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
New details via Famitsu interview:

1. Masuda is not happy with the decision.
  2. They haven't decided whether to release an update to add the missing Pokémon in the future.
  3. They considered doing this for Sun/Moon.
  4. Counting forms, the current total in SWSH is more than 1000 Pokémon.
  5. Even if a Pokémon can't be imported to SWSH, you will be able to play with it in Pokémon Home in some way.
  6. They are considering using the models/animations they have created for SWSH in future entries but nothing is guaranteed as that will depend on new mechanics like Dynamax/Megas, that require additional work for every Pokémon.

Last edited:

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
This runs antithetical to everything they sold us on the Pokémon concept for 20 years m

Very gross and sad to see this day come

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

2. They haven't decided whether to release an update to add the missing Pokémon in the future.
  4. Counting forms, the current total is more than 1000 Pokémon.
  5. The idea is to use the models/animations they have created for SWSH in future entries but nothing is guaranteed as that will depend on new mechanics like Dynamax/Megas, that require additional work for every Pokémon.

Just like I said, they considered doing this back in S/M by the sheer fact that the National Dex didn't make it in.

And Masuda keeps making decisions he's not happy with.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Google Translate Masuda said:
That is the reason for this decision, and we have decided that it is difficult to make all Pokemons appear in future works.
Assuming this wasn't mangled too horribly, it suggests again that we're not getting complete National Dexes in games for the foreseeable future.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

4. Counting forms, the current total is more than 1000 Pokémon.
  5. The idea is to use the models/animations they have created for SWSH in future entries but nothing is guaranteed as that will depend on new mechanics like Dynamax/Megas, that require additional work for every Pokémon.
Hopefully the sheer amount of outrage that this whole debacle has caused convinces them to make that update. I'm not expecting it though.

At least the reuse of models for the future sounds encouraging, since it could potentially mean that this won't happen again after Sword and Shield, at least for a while.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain

4. Counting forms, the current total in SWSH is more than 1000 Pokémon.
Bolded really ticks me off, because it's so ambiguous that it means almost nothing.

And the fifth point makes no sense whatsoever. They are supposed to be using the same models since XY

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
You monsters, You better let me transfer my Shiny Eevee!!!!!! Whatever you better put 200+ new pokemon for compensation

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hummm I'm not sure they rebuild the models from scratch, they look like exactly the same tbh. Unless he's talking about the new Pokémon only, which would be a obvious thing.

Let's GO:

2018111822273800-5F25EBBAB5987964E56ADA5BBDDE9DF2_1200x1200.jpg

Sword/Shield:

hDVSFzG.png

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
the fact they need to make sacrifices to a have these graphics is pathetic

If any other dev made a game with these vs
graphics 90 percent of people would call it garbage and compare it to yooka laylee

but game freak just has such low expectations

and they somehow went lower

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
But anyways this confirms a patch isn't put of the question right? Maybe if we keep being vocal (but in a none abusive way) they'll add a patch

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Masuda doesn't make sense, as since XY, the models have been made to be future proofed already to go into the HD era. The attack, idle, and models themselves in SwSh look the fucking same as previous gens.

What was the point of future-proofing? What was the point of high density models in the 3DS games, slowing down the games so that things like rotation and triple battles were thrown away, and regular battles chopped from 60 fps to 30 with dips.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about this and the more I read from that interview with Masuda, the more I think that there's something else going on here. Some plan to monetize the shit out the franchise even more or something. I don't know. But the explanations being given by Game Freak make zero sense. None at all.

Maybe the plan all along was to force people into Home, charge for it, and then disallow players from being able to store those Pokemon in the games, thereby necessitating something like Home. All they have to do is end support for Bank and players won't have a choice.

All this talk about animations, balance, etc, doesn't come anywhere close to justifying the removal of hundreds of Pokemon in these games.
This is what I've been thinking as well. Some form of monetization.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. The legacy Pokemon models are from Pokemon X and Y, I can see some of the same polygonal angles on the old Pokemon. The fact he also had to mention that he was thinking about doing it with Sun and Moon, which also use the same models, is just the icing on the cake. It's not about the models and animation, it's something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.