• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon might as well be the biggest IP in the world of gaming.

How in the fuck do they not have the budget and resources for this? Just do it.

No one gives a shit about the new gimmick shit, cut that before cutting fucking Pokemon.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
New details via Famitsu interview:

1. Masuda is not happy with the decision.
  2. They haven't decided whether to release an update to add the missing Pokémon in the future.
  3. They considered doing this for Sun/Moon.
  4. Counting forms, the current total in SWSH is more than 1000 Pokémon.
  5. The idea is to use the models/animations they have created for SWSH in future entries but nothing is guaranteed as that will depend on new mechanics like Dynamax/Megas, that require additional work for every Pokémon.
I think this summary should pay more attention to this part.
「――現ハードの水準に達したグラフィックのポケモンをシリーズの展開に合わせて随時増やしていくのではなくて、あくまでも、そのタイトルに合ったポケモンを『Pokemon Home』から連れてこられるようにするというわけですね。

増田 そうですね。『Pokemon Home』に皆さんのポケモンを連れてきていただいて、そこからいろいろなタイトルにお出かけしていく感覚になると思います。ポケモンの気持ち的に言いますと、「この地方は寒いから、お留守番しているね」という感じですね。また、『Pokemon Home』に関しては、何かしらの遊びを用意したいとも考えています。」
Increasing available Pokemon in one title is not their master plan.
Pokemon Home is the Home.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

2. They haven't decided whether to release an update to add the missing Pokémon in the future.
  5. Even if a Pokémon can't be imported to SWSH, you will be able to play with it in Pokémon Home in some way.
  6. They are considering using the models/animations they have created for SWSH in future entries but nothing is guaranteed as that will depend on new mechanics like Dynamax/Megas, that require additional work for every Pokémon.

tenor.gif

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
He talks like the Dynamax Pokemon have different models (comparing them with Megas in workload), so he might actually be counting them in that "over 1000 Pokemon and forms!" statement. His words are really insulting with how blatantly he is lying.

Oct 25, 2017

5. Even if a Pokémon can't be imported to SWSH, you will be able to play with it in Pokémon Home in some way.
  6. They are considering using the models/animations they have created for SWSH in future entries but nothing is guaranteed as that will depend on new mechanics like Dynamax/Megas, that require additional work for every Pokémon.
how are there over a thousand pokemon in SwSh if they arent all in the code?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon might as well be the biggest IP in the world of gaming.

How in the fuck do they not have the budget and resources for this? Just do it.
Gamefreak decided they're too big for only Pokémon and now are doing mobile games themselves, original projects and even managed to waste a lot of development time from this in making yet another Kanto remake. They're stretching themselves too much and this is how we got here.

But it's certainly a horrible decision to prioritize a gimmick no one asked for instead of the POKÉMON, literally the reason the franchise exists.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
The hell? I think that the models for Sword and Shield are IDENTICAL to the models they've been using since Gen 6.

If true, it really seems like they're bullshitting us at this point.
It has to be utter bullshit. Otherwise right now Masuda is probably having a very uncomfortable meeting with some financial resources and management board asking why they greenlit to spend millions of dollars doing 3D models of every single Pokemon with all the animations necessary to make them usable for the next 15 years only to dump over half of them anyway.

Seriously ALL THE POKEMON have walking/running animations. It's on YouTube right now. Hes either lying or really good at wasting peoples manual labor time.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know, people call Todd Howard and Peter Molyneux a liar, but I always thought they were just overly ambitious with their ideas and they couldn't add them at the end. This guy, however, is fucking lying to people's faces since there's literal evidence that contradicts what he's saying.

Oct 25, 2017
You know, people call Todd Howard and Peter Molyneux a liar, but I always thought they were just overly ambitious with their ideas and they couldn't add them at the end. This guy, however, is fucking lying to people's faces since there's literal evidence that contradicts what he's saying.
but the look on masuda's face, he's in pain /s

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Over 1000 models doesn't seem like a lie.

We have 807 Pokemon right now without counting forms. There's about 50 Mega Pokemon.

If you add in Alolan Pokemon, Formes, and Galar Pokemon, that seems about right.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Something is horrendously wrong with Game Freak's development pipeline if they had to rebuild all of the models from scratch. I don't think that's accurate.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
You know whats worth risking the absence of Pokemon? One off bullshit like Dynamax and Megas in the future! Im kinda mad. What the fuck is that last answer???

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
So basically they made excessively high detail 3D models many years ago to futureproof against this, and now suddenly are having to throw them all away and start from scratch. And why exactly did they not know this back when they were doing that internal test of porting Sun/Moon to Switch? Because if they had 3 years advance warning and still couldn't plan around it then hoo boy...

Sorry, but I'm calling utter bullshit on this. The models and animations are identical, and the fact that they were considering it for Sun/Moon means that it's not down to then having to toss their old work away. Game Freak has been coasting for ages and they've been caught with their pants down on the Switch (despite the difficulty of HD development being known 13 years ago), spreading themselves even thinner by working on multiple projects.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm incredibly confused at what's going on right now. I really really don't want to think they are just straight up lying to us, I'm not that cynical, but that's what it feels like.

They are, they're literally fucking are. I'm a 3D animator, I've worked with 3D models for over 8 years, they're lying about redoing the models from the ground up. I'm looking at images of the legacy Pokemon in the game and I can definitively tell you it's the same models from X and Y.

Unless they're so fucking incompetent that they somehow made it impossible to import the old models and animation into their own proprietary engine, forcing them to go back and redo them into a new format, they're fucking lying. But holy shit, if this is really the case, Pokemon needs to get away from their hands because that's the blunder of the century. That's a level of incompetence that would get you so fucking fired.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The sheer incompetence is astounding to me, even after a day or so. Because really, that's all you can really call it. The only other explanation is that they want to try and find a way to get more money from people with DLC, but previous gens have shown that they dont know what it is.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Something is horrendously wrong with Game Freak's development pipeline if they had to rebuild all of the models from scratch. I don't think that's accurate.

There were some red flags on the 3DS. The really shoddy 3D implementation. The frame rate. Triple battles being removed from Gen 7. I wouldn't be surprised if their engine doesn't allow for the efficiencies that something like UE4 would.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I think this summary should pay more attention to this part.
「――現ハードの水準に達したグラフィックのポケモンをシリーズの展開に合わせて随時増やしていくのではなくて、あくまでも、そのタイトルに合ったポケモンを『Pokemon Home』から連れてこられるようにするというわけですね。

増田 そうですね。『Pokemon Home』に皆さんのポケモンを連れてきていただいて、そこからいろいろなタイトルにお出かけしていく感覚になると思います。ポケモンの気持ち的に言いますと、「この地方は寒いから、お留守番しているね」という感じですね。また、『Pokemon Home』に関しては、何かしらの遊びを用意したいとも考えています。」
Increasing available Pokemon in one title is not their master plan.
Pokemon Home is the Home.
Oh wow. You may be into something. We need a more detailed translation, but it sounds like yeah, they don't plan on increasing the amount. The idea is for Pokémon Home to be the Home for your Pokémon and bring them to regions that make sense.

So for example a Pokémon may not like a cold region so it doesn't make sense to import it to that game.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They are, they're literally fucking are. I'm a 3D animator, I've worked with 3D models for over 8 years, they're lying about redoing the models from the ground up. I'm looking at images of the legacy Pokemon in the game and I can definitively tell you it's the same models from X and Y.

Unless they're so fucking incompetent that they somehow made it impossible to import the old models and animation into their own proprietary engine, forcing them to go back and redo them into a new format, they're fucking lying. But holy shit, if this is really the case, Pokemon needs to get away from their hands because that's the blunder of the century. That's a level of incompetence that would get you so fucking fired.

This is even worse considering the IP they are handling. It's fucking pokemon. One if not the biggest IP ever.

Waiting for Nintendo to take matters on their hands, tbh. Buy the damn part of pokemon GF holds already. Let's bring some quality again to the franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. You may be into something. We need a more detailed translation, but it sounds like yeah, they don't plan on increasing the amount. The idea is for Pokémon Home to be the Home for your Pokémon and bring them to regions that make sense.

So for example a Pokémon may not like a cold region so it doesn't make sense to import it to that game.
"hoenn has too much water, fire pokemon dont like water, therefore we are restricting your pokemon choices to only non-fire types"

thats how asinine that sounds.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City

And doesn't that work out just great for them. I'm sure they are more than happy to keep your Pokemon on HOME absolutely free until they release a gen that you can transfer them to. Oh wait no, we'll probably have to pay a subscription to keep them from being deleted off the servers. Feels gross just thinking about it.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"hoenn has too much water, fire pokemon dont like water, therefore we are restricting your pokemon choises to only non-fire types"

thats how asinine that sounds.

Oh, but you better fucking believe that their precious Pikachu will be there all the time. Even when it doesn't make sense for a forest mouse to be in a region, like say Orre, they'll have them running around because God forbid if we cut out our mascot.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This Pokémon Home thing is EXTREMELY SHADY. They say they can't do all Pokémon anymore, but now you can buy a different app where you can have all Pokémon. They want us to react with "wow, what a great feature, an app that supports ALL POKÉMON!", yet ALL the games before SwSh could do it.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And doesn't that work out just great for them. I'm sure they are more than happy to keep your Pokemon on HOME absolutely free until they release a gen that you can transfer them to. Oh wait no, we'll probably have to pay a subscription to keep them from being deleted off the servers. Feels gross just thinking about it.
Exactly. Keep paying for an app or pray that your favorite Pokémon gets into a new dex, otherwise your Pokémon gets deleted.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Imagine when the Gen 4 remakes release and you can only play with the Pokemon from that region. Oh you want a fire type on your team? Have fun with Chimchar, Ponyta, Magmar, or Heatran!

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
What shinx is not liked? I liked him he was on my team for that gen!

Game Freak has a habit of forgetting to include certain Pokemon in regional dexes. Shinx is a more egregious example because it's been 10 years since it's been featured in a regional dex. In the past it didn't matter thanks to backwards compatibility and the national dex, but now it means that Shinx is unplayable and may never be playable until the Diamond/Pearl remakes.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
And there will probably be a subscription fee on top of Nintendo Switch Online. And they delete your Pokemon if you can't pay, but you can't move them off the server because there's no place to put them.

Exactly. They've been planning this shit out for a while. One way trade to Home. Can't trade to new games because the new games aren't designed to be compatible with all Pokemon.

Once they end support for Bank players won't have a choice. It's either Home or being perpetually stuck on the 3DS.

Jun 12, 2019
This Pokémon Home thing is EXTREMELY SHADY. They say they can't do all Pokémon anymore, but now you can buy a different app where you can have all Pokémon. They want us to react with "wow, what a great feature, an app that supports ALL POKÉMON!", yet ALL the games before SwSh could do it.
Yeah I feel like massively stunting the main functionality of the service while also pitching said functionality as something new when the previous service did the EXACT same thing is pretty exploitative, even for GameFreak. We got Town to look forward to though, I guess.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It just occurred to me that Dynamax exists because its super low effort and doesn't require them to make new models or animations.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak has a habit of forgetting to include certain Pokemon in regional dexes. Shinx is a more egregious example because it's been 10 years since it's been featured in a regional dex. In the past it didn't matter thanks to backwards compatibility and the national dex, but now it means that Shinx is unplayable and may never be playable until the Diamond/Pearl remakes.
who knows if we'll get one of those before let's go sinnoh either

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
What a ride it's been.

2017: Expecting 'Stars' to be announced. Get a Pokken port and told to wait.
2018: Get Let's Go and told to wait a(nother) year for the 'core game for fans'
2019: New game finally announced... which cuts the number of available Pokemon.

It's easy to see now that the writing was on the wall with SM's lack of National Dex but a lot of moves beginning with ORAS have been questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.