• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The problem is that they've been siphoning content from these games since XY, and now they're doing the same with the roster..if this is what they're dead set on, then unfortunately the games are already mediocre RPGs with no replay value, regardless of what Homes functionality is. So I'd like to see some effort put there at the very least to justify the transfer.

Siphoning content while adding other content. Have you ever heard of content bloat?

Oct 27, 2017
XHTEH7q.gif

Exact same reaction. Holy shit.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing this made on 4chan. The 2nd to last point is a straight lie, since they said they hadn't made a decision yet. But hey why tell the truth when you just want to create outrage.

Overlooked that one, yeah they should clean that one up, it is true they have said it's uncertain at present. But it is also true past games haven't seen patches that added things. They've only patches I recall are for dealing with Gamebreaking bugs like the Lumiose City one.

I hope there's a follow-up response from Gamefreak soon.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna happen soon. On fact. I can tell whats going to happen. Silence, gamefreak won't tweet a thing until the next announcement, which will have nothing to do with home. When home is talked about again it will still be the same, or something will be different but if so we won't hear so until then.

If they're smart, they would do a "Development update on Pokemon Sword and Shield" within a week where they retract this policy and pledge to add in all Pokemon in an update when Home launches. Any PR person can see that this is a nightmare and a huge black eye on the franchise. If I were an executive managing the brand I would want this resolved ASAP.

We're going to get another Pokemon Direct before the games launch (probably around September), and I can see that Direct being massively downvoted if they don't mention anything before or during it. Ignoring all of this and continuing to implement their backwards philosophy despite what the fans want is foolish, but it's what I expect them to do.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Harassment is bad, which is why I refuse to name names even when slamming Gamefreak. But being polite about this won't change anything. Passion (be it sadness, anger, or stubborness) is the only thing that will get through to them short of an actual sales collapse. So I'm all for continually drowning out their social media.
Showing your displeasure in responses to tweets etc. = Good. It's loud and it's polite.
Insulting the developers. Insulting their work (which just last week everyone was excited for). Implying they're inept. Saying they're lazy. Saying they're incompetent = Bad
Being racist, sending death threats etc. = Very bad

The community can be loud without being a bunch of dicks

XCKingBrent

Jun 13, 2019
Siphoning content while adding other content. Have you ever heard of content bloat?
Yeah, and the series has never suffered from being bloated. The series has suffered from an extreme lack of content since XY. Nothing that I've seen from SwSh so far has been anything more meaningful than what we got from the 3DS games.

What happened to all the exciting post game areas like the Sevii Islands, or the Battle island in Sinnoh? A whole other region in GSC/HGSS? What happened to the battle frontier? (No, the maison and the tree are not suitable replacements, they are a lesser fill in.) What happened to walking Pokemon? What happened to the VS Seeker? What happened to Shiny Pokemon actually meaning something? What happened to the overall challenge? I could go on and on.

The three things Gen 6 added that were great additions were the PSS, Lati@s soaring, and the dexnav, and they couldn't even go one generation without cutting it in favor of trash like the Festival Plaza (an idea done better in BW/2 via the Avenue) and SOS Chaining?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop fucking relying on "infographics" and make your points on a individual basis to begin with.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I wish I could edit video.

The edited Infinity War ending scene edit is long overdue.

Gamefreak must hate Avengers being such an apt comparison to what's happening lol

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
If they're smart, they would do a "Development update on Pokemon Sword and Shield" within a week where they retract this policy and pledge to add in all Pokemon in an update when Home launches. Any PR person can see that this is a nightmare and a huge black eye on the franchise. If I were an executive managing the brand I would want this resolved ASAP.

We're going to get another Pokemon Direct before the games launch (probably around September), and I can see that Direct being massively downvoted if they don't mention anything before or during it. Ignoring all of this and continuing to implement their backwards philosophy despite what the fans want is foolish, but it's what I expect them to do.
This is a absolute pr nightmare. If they are smart they react fast. The person who is handling Pokémons Twitter account must have a very bad time right now

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Nintendo really needs to clarify about the policy moving forward -- the consequences of this sort of policy are actually pretty nuts. Thinking about what happens when the next games (after Sword and Shield) come out.

The next game after Sword and Shield will presumably bring back some classics that aren't in Sword and Shield and leave out some pokemon that are in Sword and Shield. So basically, not just with the release of Sword and Shield, but the release of every game moving forward will mean giving up some pokemon that aren't included in the game before it.

It will be just like TCG with rotating rosters, and new mechanics that get dropped after a while. Each game we'll have to find out who made it in, and who will rest on the bench. And each game's flaws will have to be excused because of the fact they had to work with models and animations of Pokémon that weren't on the previous game / didn't have the new mechanic of the new game. And when / if Gen VIII makes it possible to get all the existing Pokémon across all of its games, instead of gathering all of them for the next game, Gen IX will come and the same story will repeat.

I think they should start doing games that aren't necessarily a new version, a new generation if you will, with new Pokemon, but that aren't remakes either. Just a new region, with new gyms, new scrambled roster that takes advantage of all the models and animations created in the same generation, just to extend its lifetime, give us a game that has everyone, at least once every generation, and give em more time to patiently develop Gen IX games (and scrap all the Pokémon they want all over again in those games).

OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It will be just like TCG with rotating rosters, and new mechanics that get dropped after a while. Each game we'll have to find out who made it in, and who will rest on the bench. And each game's flaws will have to be excused because of the fact they had to work with models and animations of Pokémon that weren't on the previous game / didn't have the new mechanic of the new game. And when / if Gen VIII makes it possible to get all the existing Pokémon across all of its games, instead of gathering all of them for the next game, Gen IX will come and the same story will repeat.

I think they should start doing games that aren't necessarily a new version, a new generation if you will, with new Pokemon, but that aren't remakes either. Just a new region, with new gyms, new scrambled roster that takes advantage of all the models and animations created in the same generation, just to extend its lifetime, give us a game that has everyone, at least once every generation, and give em more time to patiently develop Gen IX games (and scrap all the Pokémon they want all over again in those games).
The TCG analogy doesn't work because there's actually an official format that supports every card ever.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The shot of weavile (in the direct) looking at its hands while it's dynamaxed has got to be a new animation right? That's at least something but like arcanine and steelix didn't seem to have anything like that, so the prospect of "hey certain pokemon, probably only the ones that are already popular and have the body shape for it may have a new idle animation for 3 turns" doesn't exactly seem like a worthwhile priority

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
The TCG analogy doesn't work because there's actually an official format that supports every card ever.
Well, Pokémon Home will be the analogy to such format lol That will support every Pokémon ever.

I won't hold my breath, but I wish it eventually, even if takes years, gets some sort of Pokedex mode that allows us to see every Pokémon's 3D models from every angle, kinda like the Pokedex 3D pro, even if not every Pokémon appears on a main game.

I suppose at launch it will only have those washed out 2D images from ORAS that the Pokémon Bank currently uses, if not just the pixelated menu sprites.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I won't hold my breath, but I wish it eventually, even if takes years, gets some sort of Pokedex mode that allows us to see every Pokémon's 3D models from every angle,

Pokemon Go is halfway there.

And by this time next year, there is a very real chance it will have more available Pokemon than the newest core entries in the franchise.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright I'm outta here until something of note happens, this is just going in circles now.

Get some help Fj.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
If you ignore the N64 and Gamecube 3D projects (which I will since the industry was in a different place then) it has been around 8 years since they started working on 3D models. How is there not a team devoted to just working on the models and animations for every game? Like a shared library? Each team working on a Pokemon thing can then use those and then add custom animations that are needed for their specific games if they have a Pokemon amie or whatever. I know there are a dozens of different ways this could go, but it just seems like one of those things where management either at Gamefreak or whoever sits down and goes "how should we deal with this potential problem?" and instead they just dealt with it the worst way possible. Hire more people, delay the game, spend time to future proof. They have the money to both make a better experience and treat their employees well, and it's not like people are hurting for more Pokemon content. It really does sound like stupid managers (what a shock!)

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
D9FWQXkWsAAKc7s.jpeg

N64 Trees are just to make sure PS2 trees stand out more

I've said it before lol but I think I would've preferred that kind of tree in the background for all the trees. That cartoonish style not only fits Pokémon better, but I think (?) would've been easier, faster to do for the entire world (And maybe they wouldn't have had to cut on other areas...).

I think that fantasy look can create beautiful styles in a much more simpler way and they could use any kind of texture or shape to create the world they wanted to. If the hyperrealistic look isn't perfect, all the flaws like the tree trunk texture everybody mocks, just stands out more than everything else that might be well done.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The shot of weavile (in the direct) looking at its hands while it's dynamaxed has got to be a new animation right? That's at least something but like arcanine and steelix didn't seem to have anything like that, so the prospect of "hey certain pokemon, probably only the ones that are already popular and have the body shape for it may have a new idle animation for 3 turns" doesn't exactly seem like a worthwhile priority

Even then, things like dynamax getting adjusted animations or not wasn't going to matter for Pokemon not in the regional dex since dynamax 'mons have to be caught in the wild in raid mode. Like I pointed out earlier in this thread, so far the best possible answer to the animations being the reason for the cut has got to be the animations for the leaked camping feature. It's probably going to be a bit more complex than Pokemon-Amie but there were better ways around it without cutting Pokemon, like not allowing non-regional Pokemon to camp. They can easily make the excuse that the non-regional Pokemon don't like camping.

I'd also like to mention that non-regional Pokemon wouldn't even be able to get into the game until Pokemon Home is released, so they can work on adding these missing Pokemon and their needed animations then patch them into the game around Home's launch.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I've said it before lol but I think I would've preferred that kind of tree in the background for all the trees. That cartoonish style not only fits Pokémon better, but I think (?) would've been easier, faster to do for the entire world (And maybe they wouldn't have had to cut on other areas...).

I think that fantasy look can create beautiful styles in a much more simpler way and they could use any kind of texture or shape to create the world they wanted to. If the hyperrealistic look isn't perfect, all the flaws like the tree trunk texture everybody mocks, just stands out more than everything else that might be well done.

I absolutely agree with you. The cartoonish style just fits better than whatever the hell is going on here.

Oct 28, 2017
If you ignore the N64 and Gamecube 3D projects (which I will since the industry was in a different place then) it has been around 8 years since they started working on 3D models. How is there not a team devoted to just working on the models and animations for every game? Like a shared library? Each team working on a Pokemon thing can then use those and then add custom animations that are needed for their specific games if they have a Pokemon amie or whatever. I know there are a dozens of different ways this could go, but it just seems like one of those things where management either at Gamefreak or whoever sits down and goes "how should we deal with this potential problem?" and instead they just dealt with it the worst way possible. Hire more people, delay the game, spend time to future proof. They have the money to both make a better experience and treat their employees well, and it's not like people are hurting for more Pokemon content. It really does sound like stupid managers (what a shock!)
Creatures are the modelers and according to them they were making future proof models and we can see that from the high poly model rips from the games.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad we've established pointing out bad textures is more toxic than telling someone to "get some help" over complaining about a video game.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
How is there not a team devoted to just working on the models and animations for every game? Like a shared library? Each team working on a Pokemon thing can then use those and then add custom animations that are needed for their specific games if they have a Pokemon amie or whatever. I know there are a dozens of different ways this could go, but it just seems like one of those things where management either at Gamefreak or whoever sits down and goes "how should we deal with this potential problem?" and instead they just dealt with it the worst way possible. Hire more people, delay the game, spend time to future proof. They have the money to both make a better experience and treat their employees well, and it's not like people are hurting for more Pokemon content. It really does sound like stupid managers (what a shock!)
Exactly. Like, why isn't there a Pokemon model and animation dedicated team? That does nothing but that. Creatures does side games sometimes and don't seem to constantly keep working on models.

Like, dude, GF, this is what puts food on the table.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Even then, things like dynamax getting adjusted animations or not wasn't going to matter for Pokemon not in the regional dex since dynamax 'mons have to be caught in the wild in raid mode. Like I pointed out earlier in this thread, so far the best possible answer to the animations being the reason for the cut has got to be the animations for the leaked camping feature. It's probably going to be a bit more complex than Pokemon-Amie but there were better ways around it without cutting Pokemon, like not allowing non-regional Pokemon to camp. They can easily make the excuse that the non-regional Pokemon don't like camping.

I'd also like to mention that non-regional Pokemon wouldn't even be able to get into the game until Pokemon Home is released, so they can work on adding these missing Pokemon and their needed animations then patch them into the game around Home's launch.

You know, I don't even think it was a lack of ideas of how to implement it, or because the Switch couldn't handle it, or that they ran out of time. I think they could've perfectly do it if it was on their initial plans. They're just "future proofing" for when the amount of Pokemon is actually too much to handle. If they included all the Pokemon in Gen VIII, there wouldn't be excuse for Gen IX to include them all too (if it comes out for the Switch too), so they just took the decision now instead of waiting till there's 1000 creatures.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Why do people need to play with all the old Pokemon from the older games? It's a new game, play with the new stuff.

This is something I've never understood and I feel like it keeps Pokemon from progressing technologically. Then again, the way this game looks seems to say that even with such sacrifices GF can't be bothered to make a modern-looking video game.

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people need to play with all the old Pokemon from the older games? It's a new game, play with the new stuff.

This is something I've never understood and I feel like it keeps Pokemon from progressing technologically. Then again, the way this game looks seems to say that even with such sacrifices GF can't be bothered to make a modern-looking video game.
What makes you think we don't play with new Pokémon?

Status
Not open for further replies.