• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Is there something wrong with online, is it down at the moment. I've just bought it and I cant play it online.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I managed to log in last night, but after a few games I got kicked from a sp game. Evo really needs to patch this. Just allow people to progress offline or at least give them the option to try reconnecting with the game's servers instead of cancelling the race.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I was having some problems getting booted from SP games on PS4 earlier, restarted my router and it's been fine since.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In this case I don't think it's the wi-fi/router issues. Yesterday was the first time when I wasn't able to play the game at all, prior to that it only disconnected me twice (I'm talking about the full game, not including the beta). The game wanted to go offline immediately after showing the title screen. After I managed to log in the crash occured mid-race in a sp event so the console should have been generating only minor traffic when it happened. It may depend on where you live if you get server problems or not. I was able to finish around 10 matches comfortably today, I suspect it will get worse in the evening.

Anyway I got two objectives left in the career mode. They sound simple - win switch by 3 three switches and win overdrive without losing a round - but I'm getting really unlucky (and likely playing against hard AI difficulty ;)).

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Uhh, I'm not sure if I missed this previously, but is there a variant of Lockdown where when you get takedowns, they're in slow-motion exactly like in the single player?

Because I just got 11 takedowns and each one slowed the game down. How does that work in multi?

EDIT: I'm level 40 and haven't seen this happen before or since lol

Last edited:

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
This games is really addictive and fun once it gets going, and one thing I dont think I've heard mention is the music, a game like this needs really good pumping music and it has it.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm managing to hear (slowly) more and more people talking about this game. Whether it be on podcasts or whatever, I think hype is gradually getting out there.

They just need to push this as being Overwatch on wheels. That's it.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
I'm managing to hear (slowly) more and more people talking about this game. Whether it be on podcasts or whatever, I think hype is gradually getting out there.

They just need to push this as being Overwatch on wheels. That's it.
Yeah it's actually been grabbing me more and more recently, spent a few hours each the last couple days in online matches which I never did with any other Evo titles.

Also, has that slow-motion takedowns ala single player campaign happened in multiplayer for anyone else?! It's driving me mad and hasn't happened since! I have footage! Haha

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1531736687-111.jpg

Finally :) The last two events from the career were giving me a headache.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why the hell is this thread in "hangouts" forum?

Why would I make things up? I had the worst netcode issues yesterday. And that was not my connection.

- failing matchmaking and connection errors
- teleporting players

I have no reason to make this up. I'm happy it works great for you though. It is not as bad as in the open beta, but still not good enough.

And yes, for me takedowns feel random af. This might be related to the netcode though. If I bump into the back of an opponent with my front bumper I should not be the one that gets damaged...

Oh and the progression. Even old games had progression, unlocking/buying cars for example. I'm pretty sure that is my biggest problem with the game. And that can't be fixed, I know.

I played online for around four hours straight and saw nothing that you mention. I always joined a match immediately, and my car as well as all others moved normally. Maybe your ISP had (or has) a routing issue.

Takedowns always seemed fair. I do wonder how many times people are intentionally wrecking me as opposed to just accidentally taking me out as they struggle to stay on course. Although, by the end of the evening, the game really clicked with me and I felt I had more control. So maybe it is a bit of luck and skill combined.

The game is basically high-speed Overwatch in cars. Even the loot box UI and customization is straight out of Overwatch down to the item rarities and duplicate rewards. I played Overwatch with "no progression" for six seasons. I'm looking forward to ranked play here.

Also, has that slow-motion takedowns ala single player campaign happened in multiplayer for anyone else?! It's driving me mad and hasn't happened since! I have footage! Haha

I have never seen the slow motion in online multiplayer. I was expecting it, since a few people here complained so much about it. I thought maybe it was patched out completely until I got around to trying the campaign.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Does the game look quite washed out for anyone else? PS4 Pro here.

HDR on or off, it looks pretty whited out.
Oh, and now that I've had a chance to actually play on my Pro using HDR, no, it isn't washed out at all. The brightness seems perfect. I'm using the Sony 900E default settings.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
I have never seen the slow motion in online multiplayer. I was expecting it, since a few people here complained so much about it. I thought maybe it was patched out completely until I got around to trying the campaign.
I'll post a video of it later as proof, was so weird. No idea what the other players were experiencing!

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really mean to point fingers, because I didn't contribute myself, but no even made a thread for the free demo/trial. The community for this game seems to be very small and it's even smaller here on era. :(
there was a thread. i posted it in. the game just didnt catch on.

Evo needs to take lessons from this and figure out what inspires people.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there was a thread. i posted it in. the game just didnt catch on.

Evo needs to take lessons from this and figure out what inspires people.
Oh, my bad, I must've missed it.

Personally I don't expect Evo to grant this game with longterm support. I'd be surprised if they still released the PC version.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game should've been cheaper, then it would've altered people's perceptions of what the game would contain. They should've followed Rocket League's model while they instead went for Overwatch pricing (I think?).
Cheaper sure, but that doesnt always translate into sales. $40 would have made more sense but MG Survive was $40 and that didnt work for them. If the enthusiasm isnt there, nothing will do.

Rocket League was $15 but lets not forget it was free on PS+. It was in 40 million hands the day it came out. Onrush is a much bigger game than Rocket League with lots of single player events, and big detailed maps. You cant release it for the price of an indie game without drastically cutting down on Day 1 tracks, cars and events. The game was in dev for well over 2 years.

I cant help but feel like they needed this to be an exclusive. Exclusives generate hype. A bigger budget might have resulted in a bigger scope with maybe a traditional racing mode and even better visuals. Graphics are lovely in this game but its not setting forums on fire like DriveClub did.
Oh, my bad, I must've missed it.

Personally I don't expect Evo to grant this game with longterm support. I'd be surprised if they still released the PC version.
at this point i am just hoping they survive this. Codemasters did great picking them up and i hope they stick with them through this.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed on being an exclusive, another way the Rocket League approach could've worked... make it multiplatform after it gained traction on a single platform and go from there.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on being an exclusive, another way the Rocket League approach could've worked... make it multiplatform after it gained traction on a single platform and go from there.

A lower price point, crossplay and Game Pass + PS Plus shenanigans would have guaranteed major playerbase from the get go, throw in a Switch port with, again, crossplay while they're at it. Then you can make people spend crazy money on skins, emotes, graves, decals, antennas, turbo trails or whatever the fuck. The classic 70 Euros launch for a game like this with barely any advertisement, in the current scenario, was basically suicide, and half this board knew it was going to bomb because of this. I love the game, but if you want to make a splash with an online-only game you gotta play your cards correctly, and this wasn't the way to do it. Not everyone wins the lottery a là PUBG where suddenly a paid product explodes to unexpected heights - the biggest multiplayer titles are almost all based on major franchises or are f2p. OnRush never had a chance to become a major multiplayer phenomenon with minimal marketing presence, a full price, and a "risky" game mechanism to boot. If it had Need For Speed or Burnout in its name it might have worked out, but not like this. Codemasters is a great studio, but they seem to have overestimated how much their games sell on the fact of being awesome and how much comes from the fact they live on giant brands like DIRT (which has decades old roots with the Colin McRae series) and F1, the biggest racing championship in the world.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
After playing for hours, I set the graphics to "resolution". I usually prefer resolution over frame rate, but it was jarring. Sure, it looked nice, but the game is simply too fast paced for anything less than 60fps. It looked like a slideshow in comparison.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
at this point i am just hoping they survive this. Codemasters did great picking them up and i hope they stick with them through this.

Yeah keeping fingers crossed that they'll survive. For me personally Onrush was a "tougher" game to like but once it clicked after playing the trial I didn't hesitate to buy it. :)

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
wondering about the ranked mode, slowly i get a bad feeling for it....the silence is not really a good sign imo.

hope it still launches soon...but it needs some extra hooks, if it´s the same as the normal game with ranks attached i don´t think it will have an impact...

whole game could need some hooks, that little extra oomph is missing somehow... i mean it´s one of the most fun games this year but after reaching level 100 i am playing less and less because i already spent many hours doing the same four modes, there is no ranked mode in sight etc...hopefully we will hear some news soon

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested in the numbers how many people exactly want a ranked mode and how much it would convince them to go back to Onrush (or don't stop playing it). Imo new content like tracks, events, maybe modes (traditional races? ;)) would be better.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone tell me what the orange O's are that I constantly see littered on the course when I play online? I'm not sure what causes them. Maybe opposing tombstones? Seems odd that they are so common.

Also, any tips on tricks? I press the button and my driver just does the same trick every time. I have three unlocked for this character.

I'm still not sure if I should be boosting while in the air, or if I should save it. I know that I should boost when landing to gain speed. Also, it seems impossible for me to crush anyone while enemies seem to be homing missiles.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone tell me what the orange O's are that I constantly see littered on the course when I play online? I'm not sure what causes them. Maybe opposing tombstones? Seems odd that they are so common.

Also, any tips on tricks? I press the button and my driver just does the same trick every time. I have three unlocked for this character.

I'm still not sure if I should be boosting while in the air, or if I should save it. I know that I should boost when landing to gain speed. Also, it seems impossible for me to crush anyone while enemies seem to be homing missiles.

Afaik having different tricks doesn't matter at all, seems to be purely cosmetic like vehicle/character skins. Also I think they get picked randomly from the pool of the unlocked ones. Maybe some rare poses require bigger jumps.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Just picked this up for $40 USD at Target!
Super excited to try it out after all the impressions in this thread.
Huge Motorstorm and Burnout fan.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Those orange objects are fodder cars tombstones. This game needs a better toutorial.
I noticed today that the "tombstone" message appeared when I hit one. It's odd that they are orange. They should just be grey like the fodder cars.

I've reached the point where I actually feel in control of my own fate. I can (usually) avoid cars and most of my crashes are unexpected terrain and objects. I still can't seem to take out many opponents. I also can't get an air crush. Opponents always seem so far away despite us taking off st the same time.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed today that the "tombstone" message appeared when I hit one. It's odd that they are orange. They should just be grey like the fodder cars.

I've reached the point where I actually feel in control of my own fate. I can (usually) avoid cars and most of my crashes are unexpected terrain and objects. I still can't seem to take out many opponents. I also can't get an air crush. Opponents always seem so far away despite us taking off st the same time.
Charger is made for the crush takedowns. You have to trail another car until you both reach a bigger jump and hope that the improved magnetism ability will help you to land on it.

Taking down other cars in general imo is very different for singleplayer & multiplayer. I think it's harder to become good in mp, because a lot of the players are only interested in smashing into you even if it jeopardizes their team's efforts at scoring points in Overdrive or recovering seconds in Countdown.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested in the numbers how many people exactly want a ranked mode and how much it would convince them to go back to Onrush (or don't stop playing it). Imo new content like tracks, events, maybe modes (traditional races? ;)) would be better.
The last thing a game with a low player base needs is more modes to divide the player base.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a tweet saying they have a demo of the game available for XBO. Has anyone here tried it? I might give it a shot tonight just to see what's unlocked in it, how many people are playing it etc.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last thing a game with a low player base needs is more modes to divide the player base.
I'm not fully sure if that's the case here. The MP matches are being picked at random anyway and many people still expect this game to get traditional races (even if they won't work perfectly because of how the game was built).

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Wow I am hooked... this game is incredible.
"Just one more syndrome" to the extreme. Its so damn fun.

Lately games haven't been exciting me much, but this.... wooooo I can play all night.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hate to admit it, but I think I'm done with this game. My daughter and I enjoyed Excitetruck and love Split/Second. Combine those games with Overwatch style objectives, and it should be a guaranteed hit.

My daughter played one session for several hours and wasn't having fun. It was just too fast and too chaotic. She enjoys more deliberate games such as Uncharted or Overwatch. This game is just insanely fast even compared to Excitetruck and Split/Second.

I could see that the game required some time to learn the tracks and tactics, so I've put in about 12 hours of gameplay. I have to agree with my daughter. It's just too fast for any sort of tactical play. It feels empty.

The characters are meaningless and customizing the vehicles also feels pointless. No one knows or cares which character you are or how your vehicle looks.

The heart of the "problem" is that it is exactly as it is advertised: an arcade racer and nothing more. This game is a great old-school game, but doesn't need all the online trappings (experience, loot boxes, skins). I could see my ten-year-old self playing this on the NES along with RC Pro Am, but it does not lend itself to the "live service" model.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I hate to admit it, but I think I'm done with this game. My daughter and I enjoyed Excitetruck and love Split/Second. Combine those games with Overwatch style objectives, and it should be a guaranteed hit.

My daughter played one session for several hours and wasn't having fun. It was just too fast and too chaotic. She enjoys more deliberate games such as Uncharted or Overwatch. This game is just insanely fast even compared to Excitetruck and Split/Second.

I could see that the game required some time to learn the tracks and tactics, so I've put in about 12 hours of gameplay. I have to agree with my daughter. It's just too fast for any sort of tactical play. It feels empty.

The characters are meaningless and customizing the vehicles also feels pointless. No one knows or cares which character you are or how your vehicle looks.

The heart of the "problem" is that it is exactly as it is advertised: an arcade racer and nothing more. This game is a great old-school game, but doesn't need all the online trappings (experience, loot boxes, skins). I could see my ten-year-old self playing this on the NES along with RC Pro Am, but it does not lend itself to the "live service" model.

well, for others the chaotic nature and the fast speed are exactly what makes the game fun in the first place .-) and there is room for tactical play, like playing passive aggressive, giving others a little nudge that they crash into walls or out of the track. it´s not about crashing everyone you see, that won´t work.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Customization is not entirely pointless. You see your character during races and in the player spotlight after the event. It's the whole point to show off rare skins and moves, but obviously not everyone is going to care about that. :)

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
well, for others the chaotic nature and the fast speed are exactly what makes the game fun in the first place .-) and there is room for tactical play, like playing passive aggressive, giving others a little nudge that they crash into walls or out of the track. it´s not about crashing everyone you see, that won´t work.

Sure, this is all fun. The game really started to shine when I became skilled and familiar enough to be able to play defensively and selectively take out opponents or play the objective. It's just extremely shallow.

The team aspect is too abstract. The developers mention how players will need to choose synergistic vehicles and balance teams, but it all means nothing. You can't communicate, and even when you can (I played in a few parties), the level of strategy you can actually employ is near zero. It's just pick the vehicle you like and hope for the best.

Customization is not entirely pointless. You see your character during races and in the player spotlight after the event. It's the whole point to show off rare skins and moves, but obviously not everyone is going to care about that. :)

I don't see how anyone would care. When I play Overwatch, I care about my skins, emotes, and voice lines. I am impressed when I see others' choices as well. Onrush is simply filled with generic characters and generic skins. 90% of the vehicle and character skins are filler that are just plain colours that will never be used because the game hands out loot like candy for the first few hours.

My feeling is that all of this is a poor match for the actual gameplay. It's great fun but it's just a simple arcade racer. That's it. I feel as though I am playing a 3D online version of Micro Machines for the Sega Genesis. Micro Machines was damn fun, but I'm not going to play it constantly for weeks, which is the opposite of what a "live service" game with ranked modes needs. This is Mario Kart 300cc with no items.

To sum up: the game is fun when treated as an arcade game. The problem is that it is marketed and designed as a competitive online team "live service" with ranked play.