• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
User banned (permanent): Excusing harassment and threats, previous severe infractions, sending abusive messages to staff
I don't really understand what's happening here, because Glumberland clearly started all the flame thanks to their controversial blog post and then continued with their hateful comments on their Discord channel, even insulting their Patrons. Why gamers are always blamed for stuff like this and devs are always painted as the victims? If they took approach of, let's say, Sinking City devs, it woudn't be any drama (Frogwares stated that they need this exclusivity deal, because it will help to keep stability of their studio. Simple statement, zero passive-aggressive comments)
Why this PR disaster is praised by the media and Tim Sweeney? I just don't get it.

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
Epic exclusivity outrage is to game devs what ethics in games journalism was to games press. A vector for targeted harassment by monsters, drowning out legitimate criticism.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
#gameRs
No dev should go through this regardless of whatever business decision they make.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 week): Holding developers responsible for receiving threats
Don't announce that you got a bunch of money, you need it for rent and stuff and then immediatly be a dick at the end of the PR statement. Or in your Discord server. If you poke the bomb long enough don't be surprised when it blows up in your face.

Hope they stay safe.

Jun 14, 2019
the devs actually started alot of shit this time with that blog post they did, and basically telling all their funders prior basically fuck you we got paid and other such shit .

the ooblets devs need to take some responsbility or atleast have a good ol lesson in pr.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
And of course nothing in that post addresses anything about the devs own role in creating that mess, by dismissing any possible valid issue people can have with the store with misguided jokes that clearly did not hit the ended mark, so nothing will be learned, and we will repeat this again.

That's of course not me condoning threats, not in any way. There's no excuse for that.

But when things like this happen, when it started with an attempt of the devs trying to be a bit clever and funny, in an already infected debate, there must be a bit of self reflection as well.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really understand what's happening here, because Glumberland clearly started all the flame thanks to their controversial blog post and then continued with their hateful comments on their Discord channel, even insulting their Patrons. Why gamers are always blamed for stuff like this and devs are always painted as the victims? If they took approach of, let's say, Sinking City devs, it woudn't be any drama (Frogwares stated that they need this exclusivity deal, because it will help to keep stability of their studio. Simple statement, zero passive-aggressive comments)
Why this PR disaster is praised by the media and Tim Sweeney? I just don't get it.

Gamers are to blame because they're sending threats to developers over a fucking video game not being on their client of choice.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Just seem to be painting themselves as a victim, not taking any responsibility for having enflamed things with the nature of their communication.

Threats and hateful messages are inexcusable and there's no justification for them, but they went out of the way to throw fuel on the fire, with no consideration for the collateral damage it will cause. Then Tim Sweeney doubled down on it.

We need less antagonism, not more.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is the kind of stuff I was talking about in my thread earlier.

Nothing in their blog post or Discord comments justifies getting harassed and insulted on this level.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They certainly don't deserve it, but with that kind of attitude in their provocative blog post and discord messages, what did they expect?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Gonna be lots of victim blaming in this thread lol

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Also I see an astounding amount of 'insults and harassment are unacceptable, BUT' posts already.

There should be no but.

However you couch it, that's victim blaming. Stop that.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to make some snarky comment like "inb4 someone says "But what about the mean things they said to gamers!?" but unfortunately I was too late.

Nice going guys.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
christ, take a page from the Untitled Goose Game devs. Just say "we're a tiny dev and we needed/wanted the money upfront" and leave it at that, without dismissing anyone's valid concerns.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Threats and hateful messages are not ok. But I see some conflate criticism with hateful messages. Additionally if they didn't want the strong criticism, they could also not be assholes on the internet.

I don't really need to say that I don't condone abuse or harassment, but christ, take a page from the Untitled Goose Game devs. Just say "we're a tiny dev and we needed/wanted the money upfront" and leave it at that, without dismissing anyone's valid concerns.
This. There is a lot of criticism off those that take the deals, but the dimension of the shitstorm was definitely more inflamed here, for obvious reasons.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I am way too late to pre-empt the victim blaming. Good show lads.

Good to see lessons have been learned.

Harrassment is not a proportionate response.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like what Epic is doing either, but harassment and insults are never okay. But that's par for the course for gamers and Internet in general, unfortunately.

Oct 27, 2017
The outcry about the Epic Games Store has been an absolute embarrassment from the start and ultimately this is where it leads.

And I'm sorry, but there are posters and have been threads on Era that aren't exempt from this. Stopping shy of issuing threats isn't a low bar that excuses some of the incessant, relentless moaning seen around the Internet - including here.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously any kind of threatening response is wrong, but let's not allow them to paint this as a direct response to EGS exclusivity.

Their original blog post was condescending and dismissive of all legitimate concerns, and the devs continued to double down with more garbage. There is a right way and a wrong way to handle public messaging.

Gonna be lots of victim blaming in this thread lol

They definitely don't deserve it, but the spin on this is dishonest.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah cos the Ooblet developers totally didn't stoke the flames with that god awful condescending bullshit announcement followed up by some very ill advised discord posts then on top of it Timmy Sweeney popping in to act like a complete arsehole.

No one deserves death threats or threats of violence against them but these devs are not exactly blameless here. Much of the anger was not so much about the exclusivity but more to do with the sheer and utter contempt the Ooblet developers appear to have for the gaming public.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
The whole Epic Games Store thing has been embarrassing for months. Nobody deserves this kind of treatment.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
LOL at people in this thread acting like gamers wouldn't be shitty if not provoked. Get real.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate it went down like that but anyone could have seen this a mile away. Especially when the dev went on a tirade about how people are so whiny that "it's a launcher, entitled gamers" or "we don't need your Patreon money anymore". Similar thing happened when Midboss slammed Trump supporters to not buy their game on Twitter (and before anyone says anything, yes fuck Trump supporters).

You're always gonna get the lunatics who take things up to 11 and do something heinous. I hope something can be done about the death threats like opening investigations.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The outcry about the Epic Games Store has been an absolute embarrassment from the start and ultimately this is where it leads.

And I'm sorry, but there are posters and have been threads on Era that aren't exempt from this. Stopping shy of issuing threats isn't a low bar that excuses some of the incessant, relentless moaning seen around the Internet - including here.
Yes I agree, any kind of criticism of Epic is exactly the same as coordinating harassment campaigns and sending threats to developers.

LOL at people in this thread acting like gamers wouldn't be shitty if not provoked. Get real.

I'd perhaps say that if developers don't want to exacerbate antagonism between developers and players, they should at least make some kind of attempt to minimise it.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to make some snarky comment like "inb4 someone says "But what about the mean things they said to gamers!?" but unfortunately I was too late.

Nice going guys.

If you can't reflect on it, then you will learn nothing. It's awful what happened, but so totally predictable. So many people would have been able to tell them that, if they had asked for help with their post.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anything actually threatening or hate-filled is obviously unacceptable. I'm sure they got some of those, the world being what it is. But I also know these devs have a very loose, expansive, damn near all-inclusive view of any criticism as "toxic gamer" or "hate-filled" stuff as well.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ITT victim blaming is apparently AOK.

Devs shouldn't have dressed like they wanted it.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Criticism is not telling someone to go die
Criticism is not faking Discord screencaps for a Jewish developer saying they want to 'send gamers to the gas chambers'
Criticism is not comparing them to a racist
If we can't spot the outliers and snuff them out on our own, then we're part of the problem.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't condone people sending threats to devs for anything, the devs deserve criticism for their handling of the situation. The article doesn't approach how the studio worded their explanations, just that there was one. It also doesn't seem to try to differentiate between said criticism and threats, as if, say we complaining here about how awful egs is and how badly theyve reacted to their community are equal to death threats

Criticism is not telling someone to go die
Criticism is not faking Discord screencaps for a Jewish developer saying they want to 'send gamers to the gas chambers'
Criticism is not comparing them to a racist
If we can't spot the outliers and snuff them out on our own, then we're part of the problem.
Are you saying we need to go out of our way to snuff out trolls and people who aren't coming a the devs in good faith to begin with?
edit: Asking as a valid topic of conversation not a complaint

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
The funniest part about the Epic Wars (I'm coining that) is that it's turned out much worse than the console wars because everyone has access to it

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
This is never ok on any level, but with that said the article could go a little deeper in explaining exactly what happened. It wasn't just that it went exclusive, it was also how they and Sweeney handled it.

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
A lot of messages here are yea they shouldn't get it BUT..

Stop doing that. Just invalidates anything you said previously and you are still placing the blame on the devs (which you might not have liked the way they did things but that is not an excuse).

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Poor girl she didn't deserve to be sexually harassed but she did wear sexy clothes though while walking alone at night. It was so easy to avoid.

You guys are doing prety much the exact sane thing yet none of you would actually dare say something similar in a sexual harassment thread.

Drop the victim blaming it's embarrassing

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is never ok on any level, but with that said the article could go a little deeper in explaining exactly what happened. It wasn't just that it went exclusive, it was also how they and Sweeney handled it.

Who needs context. That doesn't fit the narrative.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of messages here are yea they shouldn't get it BUT..

Stop doing that. Just invalidates anything you said previously and you are still placing the blame on the devs (which you might not have liked the way they did things but that is not an excuse).
Yep

Status
Not open for further replies.