• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
As per their blog post.

ooblets.com

We did the thing

A rather large announcement

[...]yes, we've signed with Epic for PC launch exclusivity. It's incredible news for us and I'm hoping you all can be excited about it, too.

[...]

What it means for Ooblets:
  • Ooblets will be launching on PC through EGS. We won't be selling the game on other PC stores for a pretty long while (that's the exclusivity bit).
  • We'll still be launching on Xbox One. The Epic exclusivity is just limited to PC.
  • We got some cash money upfront from the deal so we can make the game we always wanted to with fewer compromises.
What it means for you:
  • You'll have to install EGS if you wanna buy Ooblets on PC. I know that's asking a lot but I believe in you and your ability to download a free thing and create a user account (if you haven't already done so to play Fortnite which I KNOW YOU HAVE).
Why'd we do this?
So we had a big decision to make, and we didn't take it lightly.

Because Epic doesn't yet have the same market share as their competitors, they offered us a minimum guarantee on sales that would match what we'd be wanting to earn if we were just selling Ooblets across all the stores. That takes a huge burden of uncertainty off of us because now we know that no matter what, the game won't fail and we won't be forced to move back in with our parents (but we do love and appreciate you, parents!).

Now we can just focus on making the game without worrying about keeping the lights on. The upfront money they're providing means we'll be able to afford more help and resources to start ramping up production and doing some cooler things. [...]

The two developers of the game, Rebecca and Ben, have explained in detail why they've made the decision and how they'll think the reaction will go in regards to this news. It is understandable that they needed the extra cash boost to continue working on the game and I still can't wait for it to come out.

If you don't know what Ooblets is, please do yourself a favour and check it out here: https://ooblets.com/

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
I understand wanting the cash but this is still such a regrettable situation. I was looking forward this game for a long time but won't be buying it on the EGS.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good for them. I'm glad they don't have uncertainty now.

Edit: well the blog post is meh. Just say you took the money.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame them for doing it. I'd rather they take it and make a better game.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I understand why people get bummed about EGS deals, and I don't think it's long term sustainable, but I don't blame smaller devs for a second for taking the EGS deals with the risk of indie development and self publishing.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
haN4RCG.png

hJ36IKa.png

iq6BLPL.png

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds fine to me.

I'd much rather have Epic throwing money to small dev teams that need it instead of Ubisoft and 2K.

Oct 25, 2017
There are some deals that make me iffy on the situation mosly because of the stance of the devs (we will reach a new public!) but in this case i don't really see any problems.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
The old "Steam was bad 15 years ago excuse" and:

I get the appeal of wanting to seek out things to get angry about. Venting anger is cathartic and natural, but let's have just a little perspective about what we decide to get angry about. Look at the things going on around you and ask yourself if there might be anything just a tad more worthwhile to be upset about.

Here are just a few suggestions:

• Climate change
  • Human rights abuses
  • The new Twitter desktop UI
  • The last season of Game of Thrones

There are things you should be more mad about excuse.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Because of course it is.

Hey Tim, just need to get Necrobarista and Disco Elysium and you'll have wiped out my Most Anticipated Top 10 for the year.

Good job, bro.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I can understand why they'd do that but it's a bit shitty to market the game on steam for quite a long time already, and switch to EGS exclusivity first.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impressive, that post goes through the whole checklist of the EGS defender: it's just another launcher, children in Africa, what about console makers funding games, what about steam in 2003... it's all there.

Oct 25, 2017
The text is kinda shit, but I understand every single small developer taking the money. Sounds like the deal they offer is just too good not to do it.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess I wont be playing it. And I shouldn't feel bad since I guess Epic is covering for the money I would have spent. Too many other games to play and support. Happy for the studio though, get that money. Just don't expect me to play the game for a while, I've got my own exclusivity deal where I don't touch the EGS. Shame.

Jun 26, 2018

What is this trash? As far as I know, no one here would advocate for stealing games.

On-topic: I'm glad the developers were honest about the money, as opposed to a lot we've seen before them. I still won't buy their game on EGS. But maybe once it hits elsewhere

Edit: Fuck that, I see now the screenshot is from the actual blogpost, hard pass.

Last edited:

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to pretend I know this game and I wish nothing but good wishes for the Devs but does anyone else think this whole "this will make our game better" a bit of a silly statement?

I mean most art made under a limited budget tends to work out better than pumping money into it. Restriction usually breeds creative works.

One thing for sure is that Epic will never stop doing this. At this point no one is going to not take bags of money up front so the PC industry is forever changed now.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Make sure you direct your anger at the right people, ERA. It's Epic not starving artists who took the money.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I understand why did they take money but at the same time developers also need to know that they won't get money forever. And they need to learn that not every game is huge success. Epic giving guaranteed sales makes it kinda hard for developers to adjust to the market. You can't make games you want forever and expect others (in this case Epic) to payyou even if you are not successful.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
I thought this had some sort of MS? Was expecting it to come to Game Pass

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
The way they condescendingly put down people with legitimate grievances and concerns about Epic has put me off their game entirely. Good luck to them.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never begrudge an indie studio for taking Epic's deal, it is a good deal for them and making indie games is scary.

That said, I still won't be buying any game on EGS, so I'll have to wait on this one.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a marketing ploy considering some of the replies in this thread

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what this game is, and sometimes I wonder if part of the deal is the expected outrage that will also tell everyone about this game called "Ooblets".

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Wow

Instead of just announcing that they're going exclusive they're also shitty about it.

I believe I am now at a point where developers don't care about my wants I won't care about their wants neither ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rebecca has always been kind and open about this game's development, and when I got her e-mail on the mailing list (which is written differently than this blog post) and she said they were doing this to pay rent I could totally get why they'd do this.
I love Ooblets ever since it was first shown and if this is going to make it a better game there's no way I wouldn't support it.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I like their openness here to be honest. I'm fine with it - and if the decisions results in a better game, sure, go for it.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Been keeping an eye on this game forever at this point but their attitude is unselling it.

data

Oct 25, 2017
The way they condescendingly put down people with legitimate grievances and concerns about Epic has put me off their game entirely. Good luck to them.
Also this.

The concerns aren't about how easy it is to access the launcher or how much it costs. Its all the features missing

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I get it. The devs wanted the cash so going EGS only for the time being...sure, you do you.

However, that announcement has got to be the most cringe and snarky shit I read. How bout having a discussion about your decision like rational people instead of just insulting and poke fun of a userbase that could have shown an interest in your game. Also yikes at those examples.

Vyrance

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Don't care for that blog post. Could have done without the condescending stuff about how people who don't like the Epic Store should get over themselves.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them, I've been keeping an eye on the game for a long time and was really interested in it. I have no problem waiting for the exclusivity to be over and have zero interest in supporting EGS.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
If devs want the money just take it. Those are the only EPic deals I can agree with. The upfront ones.
not the ones that explain it away with

-it's just another launcher
-entitled gamers
-dont you have more important things to worry about
-comparing it to Steam from 15 years ago

If anything EGS has shown devs think they are entitled to all customers money no matter what kind of moves they make.
I guess at least they didnt tell me how great EGS is gonna be for me as a consumer