• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
I never thought I would live to see a train wreck happen in front of me in near real-time, and yet here I am, watching as a man literally pisses away any and all goodwill that they amassed for this game in less than 12 hours.

I'm still having trouble believing what I'm seeing.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
RalOSV2.png

Seems like the payout was good for them
giphy.gif

"Thank you for the money losers, see you never!"

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Jesus, that developer guy is classless like heck! It's almost humorous cause it's like a cartoon villain, all those toxic posts he's made can't be real. You put a little bit of money in someones pocket and they lose any sort of compassion for their fellow human beings.
Make's it even more hilarious he was trying to invoke Karl Marx in the opening blog post.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Any reason the timestamps don't line up between Crusism and perplamps' posts? Not saying it's fake, I get that they might have been taken at different times or taken by different people, but just be careful of sharing out of context Discord screenshots and all.

That said, the reply to Deadly Penguin is seriously bad on its own.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
BTW Rebecca is the artist and programmer, she does 90 percent of the work, and is generally soft spoken, polite, and very kind. Really sucks her partner is tanking the reputation of the project with all this bullshit, hope people don't take out there annoyance on her :(

she hitched her wagon to a horse with no legs

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I browse /v/ for gaming rumours, and hang around /tg/ (which is a pretty decent place to be at certain hours, they don't tolerate /pol/ bullshit)

3e3.jpg

This is an oddly gross post from you.

I strive to live my life entirely based on your morals and ethics
(clearly joking, again)

i thought we all knew Bronson was just pretending to tolerate us until he hit it big?

I will snitch on you all to the FBI if it means I get the All In One Entertainment System The Xbox One

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
BTW Rebecca is the artist and programmer, she does 90 percent of the work, and is generally soft spoken, polite, and very kind. Really sucks her partner is tanking the reputation of the project with all this bullshit, hope people don't take out there annoyance on her :(

It doesn't really help that shes going on twitter calling people who dislike epic kids. She's not innocent either.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
You know, maybe time has dampened my memory, but I don't recall Phil taking a major payoff and telling his fans they didn't deserve him. He just did the later, had a meltdown and left the industry. This Ooblet dude to me is worse than Phil.

I always felt like Phil Fish got a raw deal. His biggest mistake was making an abrasive comment during some convention Q & A session. Other than that, he primarily seemed to be a somewhat awkward dude who appeared to have anxiety issues. He doesn't deserve to be lumped in with this type of asshole.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any reason the timestamps don't line up between Crusism and perplamps' posts? Not saying it's fake, I get that they might have been taken at different times or taken by different people, but just be careful of sharing out of context Discord screenshots and all.

That said, the reply to Deadly Penguin is seriously bad on its own.

Seems to be a Discord quote of an earlier Patreon post that was also screencapped on its own.

Sem_Titulo.png

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I think I'm out. Steam or otherwise. I was able to defend and look past Phil Fish's behaviour but this guy's a whole 'nother level. The Epic money likely and fortunately guarantees they'll be able to make a living supporting the game and maybe make another but good luck living down this situation.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Aside from a handful of devs getting a payday, I'm struggling to see how EGS is good for games.
Probably because giving away Fortnite free money to any dev of a somewhat interesting game is not sustainable. Once the EGS get a good marketshare, they will most likely turn their heads over to only moneyhatting AAA games.
You know, steam used to be a closed store, too. Just getting your game there made you a winner.

For the time being, all epic has done is provide more funding/investment for video games... thats a good thing in my book, especially for indie devs who's games success could mean the life or death of the entire studio and all the people working for it. For example, if a game like Ooblets reviews extremely well, but fails to sell enough copies for whatever reason, without investment from Epic, it could mean the end for a studio like glumberland. Now the studio and everybody working for it doesn't lose their job if the game doesn't sell x amount of copies, and consumers get more games from gumberland in the future as well........still not sure how thats a bad thing. You can put whatever negative spin on it you want; what you call "moneyhatting" i call investment towards video games and as a gamer i consider that a good thing. If EGS was around earlier perhaps studios like Telltale would still be around in some capacity.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
As awesome as it probably is for them to go 'we had to run a Patreon, and now we don't have to, woohoo', maybe shouldn't throw that out there

Or should close down the Patreon

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Is this a good time to announce that I will be starting my own Patreon for shitposting

500$ a month, 1k if you want a RT on my award winning Twitter account

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everything I read from that dev, every statement, is toxic.
Does he represent the entire team? Or is he the sole author?

Bizarre as the game seems so.. feel-good and positive.

As awesome as it probably is for them to go 'we had to run a Patreon, and now we don't have to, woohoo', maybe shouldn't throw that out there

Lol

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017

I mean, Sergey is still raking in over 100,000 a year from Patreon for doing his job at Epic. This is just how these deals seem to work.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
what is wrong with this perplamps guy. Just make a statement regarding EGS exclusivity and shut the fuck up, it's not hard.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Yes it is, though I find it to be a disproportionate response, to avoid buying the games from a certain dev team for the rest of your life because they made a deal with Epic. Maybe because this is the same community that will go out of its way to defend big corporations when minorities have an issue, because not all devs are bad, but are so quick to throw small devs under the bus due to some inconvenience.

I share the dev's opinion that Gamers are making a mountain out of a molehill, as if there was enough money in the world to turn PC Gaming into an exclusivity war. I have no fear of that happening, and so have no qualms with developers wanting to guarantee money to pay their bills and their employees.

I didn't mean to quote this post but it echoes my thoughts on the matter perfectly...

This has to, honestly, be my absolute favorite quote from a developer all year...

I wasn't tracking this game before but I'll certainly be buying it on whatever silly little launcher it's on now...

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
We get why you took Epic's money and we don't need that Epic apologist post about it lol

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And now we are seeing the seedy, shitty underbelly of this whole EGS episode . . .

#competitionisgood
#goodforconsumers
#trickledown
#justanotherlauncher
#18vs30!

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Everything I read from that dev, every statement, is toxic.
Does he represent the entire team? Or is he the sole author?

Bizarre as the game seems so.. feel-good and positive.

Lol
Perplamps ain't even the main person behind Ooblets.

Rebecca is the heart and soul of Ooblets. (programmer and artist).

Why Perplamps is in charge of marketing is anyone's guess.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017

His response to supporters leaves a lot to be desired, but honestly... we're talking about a small indie game. Not a person with the resources to follow up on the amount of venom coming at them over a publishing agreement. This is far beyond the amount of people I've seen in the community for the game.

The response from people who just want to tear down something they've been working on for years because their mad over EGS is gross. There's way more people involved than who ever planned to follow or even knew of the game and are acting like bullies now to justify opinions that have nothing to do with the game.

Putting every reply the guy gives in this vacuum under a microscope and labeling him a shitty person dosent work for me. Some of the replies here are gross and the posters deserve being called entitled and childish.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His response to supporters leaves a lot to be desired, but honestly... we're talking about a small indie game. Not a person with the resources to follow up on the amount of venom coming at them over a publishing agreement. This is far beyond the amount of people I've seen in the community for the game.

The response from people who just want to tear down something they've been working on for years because their mad over EGS is gross. There's way more people involved than who ever planned to follow or even knew of the game and are acting like bullies now to justify opinions that have nothing to do with the game.

Putting every reply the guy gives in this vacuum under a microscope and labeling him a shitty person dosent work for me. Some of the replies here are gross and the posters deserve being called entitled and childish.
They're a company selling a product, they shouldn't be rude dickheads.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
he's telling the people who've been paying his bills for years that they aren't entitled to anything in the most caustic way possible

I'd agree with your sentiment in a lot of cases but this is pretty damn cut and dry

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019

We're talking about someone who just got handed a big sack of money that probably guarantees many years of easy living going out of his way to tell people from countries that he'd prefer stayed invisible to, essentially, fuck off. He made his bed.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I was cool with buying it on EGS until I saw those screenshots lmao. You could have just not said anything, but no, you had to be an asshole about a product you're trying to sell.

May 26, 2018

Why is it so often that when an argument is made that everyone is shitty, it's actually an argument made to defend shittiness instead of a cry to change the environment the shit forms in? Are you a host begrudgingly welcoming everyone into the shitfest, or...?

I'm not often this forward, but this has happened multiple times today and it's starting to drive me a little batty.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If this is your response after his response to someone was this
Wow.

Even worse. Some Patreon supporter from Malaysia talking about his opinion:

tmHGd4m.png

Answer to that:

001a4kro.jpg

Here to show that it is meant for that and not just cut wrong:
Than I dont think you really know what the fuck you're talking about. This kind of response to someone asking a legitimate question is uncalled for and a massive dick move

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Actually, I think people are much looking at those replies in context... You're mischaracterizing what's going on here out of some kind sympathy for their being "small indies"

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
he's telling the people who've been paying his bills for years that they aren't entitled to anything in the most caustic way possible

I'd agree with your sentiment in a lot of cases but this is pretty damn cut and dry
But, they aren't?...

The person they responded to is not even a supporter, at all. If following the development and joining an open Discord entitled me to anyone's hard work, I need to go and collect...

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here is everything from the dev for now:

Sem_Titulo.png

tmHGd4m.png

001a4kro.jpg

Sem_Titulo.png

RalOSV2.png

Marketing tactic? 9 dimensional chess genius? Gamer Baby? I'll let you decide.
This is how you incinerate *all* goodwill, and ensure you won't be working in the industry long-term. Fuck all the people that helped them get where they are, they have money now. Dude's total trash.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about someone who just got handed a big sack of money that probably guarantees many years of easy living going out of his way to tell people from countries that he'd prefer stayed invisible to, essentially, fuck off. He made his bed.

And also saying people can keep giving him money if they like via Patreon, but they don't need it anymore! They're happy to take whatever they can get, though!

May 26, 2018
But, they aren't?...

The person they responded to is not even a supporter, at all. If following the development and joining an open Discord entitled me to anyone's hard work, I need to go and collect...

WTF? That one user he responded to is absolutely a supporter. The guy donated money via Patreon, monthly, on a tight budget, for his son and in the name of his dead wife.