• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The response from people who just want to tear down something they've been working on for years because their mad over EGS is gross. There's way more people involved than who ever planned to follow or even knew of the game and are acting like bullies now to justify opinions that have nothing to do with the game.

I don't want exclusivity brought into Pc gaming. That's the main focus.

Big picture.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
That condescending blog post turned me off to a degree, but that one guy who's acting like an asshat solidified it.

What an asinine response to someone who can't buy it because EGS restrictions with payments.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
whew they keep digging

that dev sounds like a adult man-baby who got bullied in school, got given a sack of money, and figures he is the god king and is better than everyone else now because of it.

absolutely 100% grassfed angus usda inspected cagefree freeroam pathetic

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Did you miss the post where he says "boo hoo" to the Malaysian patreon supporter or
Again, there is literally nothing wrong with him saying "no amount of sob stories is going to entitle you to our work"...

And let's be real, none of you give a solid crap about this developer "not caring" about the Malaysian person's situation...

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no. I've been following development on this for years. Rebecca seemed to pour her everything into this. Sucks to see them being such assholes. Idk why she's working with someone like that, or if she's even able to make the call to ditch them at this point, but man, that sucks.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Again, there is literally nothing wrong with him saying "no amount of sob stories is going to entitle you to our work"...

And let's be real, none of you give a solid crap about this developer "not caring" about the Malaysian person's situation...
I mean, let's be real. You're just here to hold some sort of fake moral high ground and cape for an asshole because, uh, Indies or something

Mireille

Oct 26, 2017
What a way on how not to PR a game.. I mean im fine with devs doing whatever they want with their games, if they want to put them on EGS go for it, its your game.. but the replys on discord and so on... like wtf?

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017

You missed the point as much as he did. That person was a supporter. He helped support them through Patreon. He was even going to buy the game, he just wanted to budget for it! He was letting the Ooblets team know that the exclusivity to EGS did in fact fuck them a little, which is important considering that the Ooblets team put out a PR post about how they don't know (and implied they don't care) why people don't like the EGS.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
001a4kro.jpg

I'm not sure why people are surprised at this dude's responses to everything. Just read the FAQ on the first page, what did you expect?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017

Look, we get it.

You have a thing for dirtbags, there is no need to tie yourself into knots to feel superior. The guy supported him on patron, there should be a minimum of consideration for his contributions, a kind declination perhaps?

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018

The Malaysian guy was literally just asking for clarification on whether long-time Patreon supporters would receive the game or if he'd have to budget for it (Which would necessarily involve canceling the Patreon support).

And instead of answering that question, the asshole dev belittled him and accused him of demanding the game for free.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Why are they so concerned about what random toxic gamers (and non-toxic gamers who have legit reasons to boycott Epic/EGS) think when they could be out there fighting climate change and human rights abuses? Don't they care about those things?

That blog post is one of the most cynical PR pieces I've seen in a while.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Man after reading those responses, fuck this guy and hope that their games get review bombed to hell and back.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019

That's complete bullshit. For all of the things I dislike about the EGS, the only reason why I originally even gave half of a shit about it was because it makes things more difficult for certain people outside of the so-called "fully developed" world. I'd never have paid such close attention to the shitshow that is EGS if it hadn't been for that.

Reticon6

Banned
Oct 19, 2018
10,000m under surface level
neat. good for them. indies need as much support as they can get.

boycotting an indie studio is idiotic.

The moment they took the money from Epic was the moment they relinquish the support from consumers.

After all, the whole point of selling to the consumers is to get back the revenue for their product - something that has already been addressed in this deal.

In essense, they didn't need to sell the game. They got their money, they've received a risk-free option instead of competing in the open market. They don't deserve any more support that what was already paid for them in spades.

May 26, 2018
The moment they took the money from Epic was the moment they relinquish the support from consumers.

After all, the whole point of selling to the consumers is to get back the revenue for their product - something that has already been addressed in this deal.

Of course as artists it's also great just to make something entertaining that people like. To have your work appreciated. I know after a ton of work I love seeing people get into what I've made. Money is always awesome, though, you gotta eat.

However, way this dude comes across, other human beings are just mindless, piss-filled wallets. Who wants to appreciate that?

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
You missed the point as much as he did. That person was a supporter. He helped support them through Patreon. He was even going to buy the game, he just wanted to budget for it! He was letting the Ooblets team know that the exclusivity to EGS did in fact fuck them a little, which is important considering that the Ooblets team put out a PR post about how they don't know (and implied they don't care) why people don't like the EGS.
Not getting a game "day one" is not getting "fucked over", especially for someone who admits that they opted to put themselves into a financial slump by supporting the game to begin with...

It's been stated several times that it will be up on Steam after the EGS timed exclusivity. The Malay guy loses nothing but bragging rights they were never promised to begin with...

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

9kAxtZJ.gif

Not getting a game "day one" is not getting "fucked over", especially for someone who admits that they would be opted to put themselves into a financial slump by supporting the game to begin with...

It's been stated several times that it will be up on Steam after the EGS timed exclusivity. The Malay guy loses nothing but bragging rights...

Holy shit.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
His response to supporters leaves a lot to be desired, but honestly... we're talking about a small indie game. Not a person with the resources to follow up on the amount of venom coming at them over a publishing agreement. This is far beyond the amount of people I've seen in the community for the game.

The response from people who just want to tear down something they've been working on for years because their mad over EGS is gross. There's way more people involved than who ever planned to follow or even knew of the game and are acting like bullies now to justify opinions that have nothing to do with the game.

Putting every reply the guy gives in this vacuum under a microscope and labeling him a shitty person dosent work for me. Some of the replies here are gross and the posters deserve being called entitled and childish.

Read the thread. I don't think anyone is mad over the EGS deal at this point. It is the posts by the developer and treatment of his closest supporters (Patreon).

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Why are they so concerned about what random toxic gamers (and non-toxic gamers who have legit reasons to boycott Epic/EGS) think when they could be out there fighting climate change and human rights abuses? Don't they care about those things?
Better question is why they partake in an industry that
A) Needlessly wastes electricity/ energy since video games aren't needed at all to survive
B) Shamelessly throws employees into outrageous crunch all the damn time all to lay off most of them at the end of the project

May 26, 2018
Not getting a game "day one" is not getting "fucked over", especially for someone who admits that they would be opted to put themselves into a financial slump by supporting the game to begin with...

It's been stated several times that it will be up on Steam after the EGS timed exclusivity. The Malay guy loses nothing but bragging rights...

Bragging rights. For real. That's what you're getting out of this.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Not getting a game "day one" is not getting "fucked over", especially for someone who admits that they opted to put themselves into a financial slump by supporting the game to begin with...

It's been stated several times that it will be up on Steam after the EGS timed exclusivity. The Malay guy loses nothing but bragging rights they were never promised to begin with...
Jesus Christ...

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

That post was literally the moment I had a problem with this situation. That was a tremendously unempathetic, shitty reply that developer gave. I think you are being needlessly callous here.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Another case of indie developers becoming millionaires through Epic Games but destroying their chances of having future business. Sad

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
That post was literally the moment I had a problem with this situation. That was a tremendously unempathetic, shitty reply that developer gave. I think you are being needlessly callous here.
That's fine, but unfortunately he's also not required to show sympathy, especially while also being attacked online, for a situation he doesn't even know is real...

Nothing he said was incorrect, and being blunt or direct in his responses doesn't change that?...

May 26, 2018
That's fine, but unfortunately he's also not required to show sympathy, especially while also being attacked online, for a situation he doesn't even know is real...

How do you know any customer's situation is real? Or that the universe isn't some kind of solipsistic illusion? Like, shit, you gotta at least on first impression treat potential customers as if they exist and feel things and will dump you if you treat them like garbage.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We are being invaded by Russian bots, there's no other answer. I refuse to admit that people like this exist on this website.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
A normally functioning marketing and PR would say 'Sorry for that, we'll send you a free key for compensation' whether or not about the Malaysian dad is real. There's no point of checking the authenticity otherwise and since he's just one people, it's a good chance for a PR moment for basically nothing. But perplamps is not a normally functioning marketing and insetad he double down his defense on EGS deal and basically just tell the dad to fuck off. I'm sorry for the choice of wors 'functioning' but really what he posted and replied is way beyond what wr have seen from even the likes of Phil Fish. It's crazy.

And no I wouldn't touch SuzanoSho post. They're going straight to my ignore list with that bullshit.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the hell did they think this was a good idea? Did nobody else at the company read this guy's post before it went live? I'm no business boy but I think it's probably a good idea to not insult a potential chunk of your customer base on what is probably their first time hearing about your product, especialllllllly when there is literally no reason in the universe to do so lol.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018

Nothing he said was incorrect, and being blunt or direct in his responses doesn't change that?...
What he said was incorrect because it didn't even come close to addressing what the guy was actually asking about.

He wasn't asking for a game. He wanted to know if Patreon supporters would receive a copy, because he wanted to be able to plan his budget to be able to afford it if not.

May 26, 2018
How the hell did they think this was a good idea? Did nobody else at the company read this guy's post before it went live? I'm no business boy but I think it's probably a good idea to not insult a potential chunk of your customer base on what is probably their first time hearing about your product, especialllllllly when there is literally no reason in the universe to do so lol.

There are literally only two people at the company. That guy, and the sensitive hard working artist lady. There aren't exactly a lot of checks and balances.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

Even worse. Some Patreon supporter from Malaysia talking about his opinion:

tmHGd4m.png

Answer to that:

001a4kro.jpg

Here to show that it is meant for that and not just cut wrong:
So... I actually had this game on my wishlist on steam.
I actually don't really have an issue with indies taking money from epic and making it exclusive for a year. Games like this typically get supported for at least a year with updates so waiting for the steam version means I will just get a better version of the game later. I don't need the game right away, and they get financially sound from the deal so not a big deal.

These stances and responses from the developers though... these I take issue with. The game is off my wish list and I can find something else to play later.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

Correct or incorrect, it's not really what's relevant here. This is about social behavior and there's no need for that kind of comment. They could've just stated "sorry, I appreciate your support but I can't do anything about that at this moment".

Instead they're going on about they're not owed anything, which is completely missing the point.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017

Good job! They should hire you. You are a perfect match for the team.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
This is why you shouldn't hire your friend just because they passed an intro to marketing class in community college