• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously... This is turning into a bigger controversy than Borderlands 3 and that scam artist CEO Pitchford's bullshit and people are still saying this is only blowing up because they decided to sign with Epic.

And even better, you will not get any of the people saying this to refute this post, because it flies in the face of their logic, and therefore must be ignored.

You see this in every single Epic post on this forum from their defense force.

Seriously, if they had just said they were a struggling small company and needed help to complete the game, you'd get some disappointment, larger understanding, and that'd be it. But the guy just came out swinging, what kind of response was expected? Wonder if he's part of the "There's no such thing as bad publicity" thought train?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
No one is self destructing. The game will sink or swim on its merits. If they make an amazing game, it'll sell, and once it hits steam it'll also sell to the people who only use steam.
Epic will make sure the game is profitable, with or without any sales. Consumers are out of the equation of success, so I'm not sure it'll sink or swim "on its own merits" at this point.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
you'll understand that i was right when you get older

When we are older you'll understand
What I meant when I said
"no amount of difficult life experiences makes it okay to demand that you get a game"

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue EGS exclusive, 3500+ comments / Ys Net responding to the backlash, 1500+ comments

Your Borderlands 3 thread was literally locked because of the response, and this was AFTER admins had to intervene with a threadmarks SPECIFICALLY about the volatility of the EGS-related comments here. And yet there was still ANOTHER thread made about it, following suit....

Heavy Rain, a 9-year old game that was crapped on by half the gaming community, 900+ comments

Again, you would have to be ABSURDLY naive, considering the gaming community's current climate, to believe what you believe...

Heavy Rain being 9 years-old means nothing. A whole lot of people like that game and it's easily the most praised Quantic Dream game. Coming to PC after being seen as a Sony exclusive was massive news.

Shenmue 3 blew up even more than this because they straight up promised Steam keys and solicited people's money based on that and then said, fuck you, you're getting EGS instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Heavy Rain being 9 years-old means nothing. A whole lot of people like that game and it's easily the most praised Quantic Dream game. Coming to PC after being seen as a Sony exclusive was massive news.

Shenmue 3 blew up even more than this because they straight up promised Steam keys and solicited people's money based on that and then said, fuck you, you're getting EGS instead.

The Borderlands 3 thread still stands as it had to be closed due to how volatile discussion got and how people were unable to follow mod instructions.

Also, Ooblets is a pretty high-profile indie game for looking p good and being in development for a while. And honestly, the thread blew up because of a pretty minor rib at people who take issue with this. I can perhaps sympathize with people complaining about later comments (except for those subscribing to a conspiracy about a coverup re: Malaysian dad), but the outrage was a thing well before the problematic comments.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My instinct tells me it's a vocal minority that gets very exercised about this type of thing, and even among the people swearing the game off now a lot of them will quite possibly ultimately buy it once it comes to their preferred platform if the game is awesome.

I would agree that they'd be better off saying nothing, but I understand they're getting a lot of toxicity from aforementioned vocal group (you know, the type of person who calls a dev "human trash" over this) and may not have a lot of experience in handling that kind of thing.
Not that Im disagreeing but Im just gonna address a pet peeve of mine. When you say vocal minority, how many people are you talking about here? Because lets keep in mind that this is a relatively small indie title so even a vocal miority could potentially make dent in the expected pc sales. Of coarse Epic are footing the bill the pc bill this time so as they themselves have indicated (for better or for worse) they dont need to relly on patreon and direct sales.The reason why you wont see other devs wade into this discussion with the same callousness is because they are wisely considering what the long term effects of arguing and insulting your potential customer base is....

And you also have to consider that there will be other games which will automatically eat into their sales once they go onto the other store fronts without even considering customer resentment.

Oct 25, 2017
Not that Im disagreeing but Im just gonna address a pet peeve of mine. When you say vocal minority, how many people are you talking about here? Because lets keep in mind that this is a relatively small indie title so even a vocal miority could potentially make dent in the expected pc sales. Of coarse Epic are footing the bill the pc bill this time so as they themselves have indicated (for better or for worse) they dont need to relly on patreon and direct sales.The reason why you wont see other devs wade into this discussion with the same callousness is because they are wisely considering what the long term effects of arguing and insulting your potential customer base is....

And you also have to consider that there will be other games which will automatically eat into their sales once they go onto the other store fronts without even considering customer resentment.

I don't know that I'd call it a relatively small indie game. It's gotten a fair amount of attention through its development cycle.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Borderlands 3 thread still stands as it had to be closed due to how volatile discussion got and how people were unable to follow mod instructions.

Also, Ooblets is a pretty high-profile indie game for looking p good and being in development for a while. And honestly, the thread blew up because of a pretty minor rib at people who take issue with this. I can perhaps sympathize with people complaining about later comments (except for those subscribing to a conspiracy about a coverup re: Malaysian dad), but the outrage was a thing well before the problematic comments.

I disagree. Look at the velocity. This is at 33 pages (50-per page) in like 14 hours. The Borderlands 3 thread started on April 1 and was closed at 20 pages on April 3.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree that they'd be better off saying nothing, but I understand they're getting a lot of toxicity from aforementioned vocal group (you know, the type of person who calls a dev "human trash" over this) and may not have a lot of experience in handling that kind of thing.

I'm going to have to correct the record there, that statement was made specifically in reference to the absolutely toxic comments made by Perplamps of which there are countless screencaps of, and not over their decision to go with an exclusivity deal - And before it came to my attention that Perplamps was not an actual developer on the project. Whilst I will make corrections to my prior post in turn on that front, I would appreciate my words to not be decontextualized.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Fuck off. We don't need your money now and we're fine with communicating exclusively with sycophants on our Discord."

Like, why? Just say you need EGS money to finish your game. I would have been like, "Oh, that really sucks. Fuck. I'll buy it in a year." Now I will never spend money on the game.

And I've seen a few people compare this to Phil Fish: he made a dumb off-the-cuff comment and then was hostile to people on the internet basically calling him a piece of shit. This was a prepared message followed by vile posts responding to people addressing legitimate concerns.

Seriously, fuck that guy.

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Look at the velocity. This is at 33 pages (50-per page) in like 14 hours. The Borderlands 3 thread started on April 1 and was closed at 20 pages on April 3.

I'd argue that it's partly because there's more discussion to be had over this topic than there was BL3. The BL3 thread was people overreacting to the EGS exclusivity, which, I mean, what can you say in response? Just roll your eyes and walk away. There's a more nuanced and divisive discussion regarding the tone taken here, which means that the people who are critical of the EGS exclusivity and/or the tone of the announcement can be responded to with something actually productive.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017

No they didn't promise Steam keys. At all. I swear, the lengths people go to in an attempt to justify their hatred is astounding...

Heavy Rain being 9 years old means EVERYTHING because that game, that has been released TWICE now, was enjoyed by each and every one of the people you're currently referring to right now. A lot of goalpost moving here...

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that it's partly because there's more discussion to be had over this topic than there was BL3. The BL3 thread was people overreacting to the EGS exclusivity, which, I mean, what can you say in response? Just roll your eyes and walk away. There's a more nuanced and divisive discussion regarding the tone taken here, which means that the people who are critical of the EGS exclusivity and/or the tone of the announcement can be responded to with something actually productive.

Yes, that's my point... it's not just EGS exclusivity that generates this kind of discussion despite what others have been trying to claim.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Man, I think I need to take a break from this thread. This one really pissed me off.

A totally incompetent and arrogant beyond belief PR idiot, who is leeching off his wife's hard work and the good will of those who were interested in supporting her vision is talking shit about "kids" getting jobs, especially in light of that single father from Malaysia having supported the game for help his kid... Fucking hell.

Did someone say PR?

Screenshot-2019-08-01-Join-the-WSGF-Discord-Server-edited.png

Screenshot-2019-08-01-Join-the-WSGF-Discord-Server2.png

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that's my point... it's not just EGS exclusivity that generates this kind of discussion despite what others have been trying to claim.

I know, my point is more the fact that there is more for the EGS defenders to say , and therefore it should be accounted for, that the size may be cause in large part by more defenders rather than more critics.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You keep accusing me of being a shill so put up or shut up, otherwise stop wasting everyone's time.
you've kept showing your ass in these thread so I'm good. You are doing a good job wasting time and accusing me things im not doing.

No they didn't promise Steam keys. At all. I swear, the lengths people go to in an attempt to justify their hatred is astounding...
they did promise Steam keys.

Jun 26, 2018

I feel bad for the other half of this dev team, at this point, because he's clearly on a mission to burn every bridge he can.

I'm just going to reiterate my stance, I'm against the EGS, I don't like the way they do business, and I won't support them.

Developers, by all means, take the money/deal! It would be stupid not to! I get it.

Just don't try to sell me bullshit on why I should suddenly support the Epic store.

Last edited:

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know that I'd call it a relatively small indie game. It's gotten a fair amount of attention through its development cycle.
Well see. Its gotten a fair amount of attention but it was still the 102th wished item on steam. I however expect that between giveaways and lack of competition on the EGS and the push on the xbox alone they are gonna find relative success on both platforms (maybe hit 100,000 but that depends on its quality)
No but they did list steam as an option which later they themselves had to acknowledge and provide refunds for.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm being a little bit facetious I'm just saying, it's to no one's benefit to get personal, these threads get so bad because people get so mad at each other over something ultimately inconsequential.
It's not personal though. I don't harbor any Ill will against the other poster but you were right.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel bad for the other half of this dev team, at this point, because he's clearly on a mission to burn every bridge he can.

"honey i nailed them nerds real good last night, you know how we always make fun of them while you're working and im watching sports? i gott'em good just like we talked about!"

*opens laptop* "wha...what the fuck did you do!?"

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have the backer kit to take a screen shot of shenmue 3 (I didn't back it and don't care about it) saying steam keys but their update from june 3rd still has

KfVKlNB.png

under requirements for PC

same with their backer kit update

aka they were going to give people steam keys.

Though I'm guessing you will respond to this about how they literally didn't say the words "We promise steam keys." So they didn't promise even though the backer kit and multiple updates told people they were getting steam keys.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
you've kept showing your ass in these thread so I'm good. You are doing a good job wasting time and accusing me things im not doing.

they did promise Steam keys.
Please refer me to where they promised Steam keys...
The only thing I ever recall them promising is that they would receive digitally distributed versions of their game and that it would be released on PC as one of it's platforms. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong...

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I ever recall them promising is that they would receive digitally distributed versions of their game and that it would be released on PC as one of it's platforms. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong...
In the kickstarter updates and in the surveys, they also promised a disc version that wasn't just a code but looks like they are not able to do that now.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"honey i nailed them nerds real good last night, you know how we always make fun of them while you're working and im watching sports? i gott'em good just like we talked about!"

*opens laptop* "wha...what the fuck did you do!?"

She's being a terrible human on the Discord as well. They're just assholes.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to correct the record there, that statement was made specifically in reference to the absolutely toxic comments made by Perplamps of which there are countless screencaps of, and not over their decision to go with an exclusivity deal - And before it came to my attention that Perplamps was not an actual developer on the project. Whilst I will make corrections to my prior post in turn on that front, I would appreciate my words to not be decontextualized.

Being short with people or choosing words poorly in your responses during a time of stress doesn't make you "human trash".

Marco_Tovarich

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I'm not sure how honest that question is when you have 30+ pages that already answer it. But I'll bite:
- Developer makes insulting generalizations about people who don't like EGS.
- Developer dismisses criticisms with half-assed rebuttals that have already been refuted about a million times across the internet.
- Developer generally comes across as snarky and condescending.

Thank you! I appreciate that you took the time to respond. I really liked their original blogpost and was surprised by the reactions I was reading, but didn't had the time to go through 30+ pages of messages to get more details.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

uh ok

Xw3ooXO.gif

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes you gotta just do good recklessly

I would've just given that guy from Malaysia a key just for the good PR hit and also because why not tbh, that's a layup

For that matter, give a key to everyone that has supported them in excess of $50 / $100 / whatever arbitrary number. They said the Patreon isn't needed anymore so recognize those people that got you through the hard times by giving them your game.

But no, dude had to attack the guy instead while separately pointing out how it's just gravy money now. Jesus.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Pargon, like Krejlooc, is one of the best posters on this forum. Some of their specific statements in this thread may have been extreme, but their fundamental complaints with how moderation here has handled the broader Epic Games Store situation are completely legitimate. I'm incredibly disappointed with how their comments were handled.

And before I'm moderated for metacommentary, the reason I didn't simply send this to a mod was the very reason I made this comment at all: I don't have faith in moderation to handle this properly. Also I can't know which mod was the one that banned Pargon, so just starting a conversation is difficult.
Your right, I'm sorry for clogging up the thread
No need to apologize, blatant trolling like what you were responding to shouldn't be allowed to exist here (and I don't mean A. By's post if that isn't clear).

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I love how now you can't dislike the EGS store for whatever reason without being labeled an angry entitled gamer.

Those Discord messages he is responding to aren't angry and he his responding like they are attacking him.

They have money and don't need to sell the game but this attitude is something else. I mean, there are a lot of assholes online and devs shouldn't bend over backwards to please them but insulting everyone who disagrees with him is ridiculous. He is acting exactly like what he is criticizing.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
No but they did list steam as an option which later they themselves had to acknowledge and provide refunds for.
Again, no, they didn't...there was a survey, made by someone not on the development team, after their kickstarter was underway...
They also mentioned that you might need a Steam key to activate your purchase and then in the SAME post stated that those requirements were subject to change because the game was still under development...

In the kickstarter updates and in the surveys, they also promised a disc version that wasn't just a code but looks like they are not able to do that now.
Literally none of them promised Steam keys...

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Again, no, they didn't...there was a survey, made by someone not on the development team, after their kickstarter was underway...
They also mentioned that you might need a Steam key to activate your purchase and then in the SAME post stated that those requirements were subject to change because the game was still under development...

lol ok we should all stop responding to this troll before we suffer the same fate as lothars

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Being short with people or choosing words poorly in your responses during a time of stress doesn't make you "human trash".

Very well then, I concede this to you - Perhaps my own words were just as rash and poorly thought out if not worse.

Either way my point will stand that my decision to avoid this title lies not on their business decisions but their public conduct thus far today. Of which I must re-assert that I am (or was) willing to buy this and other titles via EGS under the right circumstances.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Damn, 33 pages for Ooblets. They obviously made the right choice as I'm sure tons of people now know this thing even exists.

This was the signal boost of a lifetime and they no longer have to risk shit.

I bet after MS bought Double Fine and they lost their publisher they were WAY more willing to just get that Epic security.

Perplamps on full tilt, but is not wrong.

Still there day one as I can launch it through steam anyway just like I did for Outer Wilds.

Y'all can hate and boycott all you want, but at the end of the day this publicity is securing more sales than they would have potentially made. Not to mention they have a check so they don't have to stress about having to cancel the game in the first place.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I think he should direct his anger against entitled gamers to something more important like climate change.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Y'all can hate and boycott all you want, but at the end of the day this publicity is securing more sales than they would have potentially made. Not to mention they have a check so they don't have to stress about having to cancel the game in the first place.

I've yet to hear any EGS selling nearly as much as the hottest indie titles sell on Steam within their first month (Mordhau and Risk of Rain 2 both moved over a million copies in their first month). And that's after months of being on the EGS and with their monthlong sale begging people to get cheap games.

Not that I'm sure the Ooblets developers care cause like you mentioned I had no idea what this game was before the EGS exclusivity announcement; but they don't have to sell any copies now I guess with Tim Sweeney's bribe money.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Someone showed you, they literally promised steam keys

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im sorry did they not give refunds to people? Also regardless of whether the the survey was made by the dev team or the marketing team or even by a third party team, they made themselves vulnerable by specifically stating steam as an option, this could have been avoided by stating pc instead but by listing steam they had to honour those steam preorders (well in the EU atleast) or provide refunds.

Damn, 33 pages for Ooblets. They obviously made the right choice as I'm sure tons of people now know this thing even exists.

This was the signal boost of a lifetime and they no longer have to risk shit.

I bet after MS bought Double Fine and they lost their publisher they were WAY more willing to just get that Epic security.

Perplamps on full tilt, but is not wrong.

Still there day one as I can launch it through steam anyway just like I did for Outer Wilds.

The fallacy of "any publicity is good publicity" the games industry never seems to learn....Oh well heres hoping sony brings back their sacrficial launch goats and EA hires more fake protesters .

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I've yet to hear any EGS selling nearly as much as the hottest indie titles sell on Steam within their first month (Mordhau and Risk of Rain 2 both moved over a million copies in their first month),

Not that I'm sure the Ooblets developers care cause like you mentioned I had no idea what this game was before the EGS exclusivity announcement; but they don't have to sell any copies now I guess with Tim Sweeney's bribe money.
Yeah, and not having to worry about initial sales at all must be a cocktail of emotions hitting them like a drug. Full euphoria today, I bet.