• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
sbvluqqq7zd31.png

This is insane to me, like, what?

How to make sure people don't care about your game 101

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong with that stance. What's wrong is when someone conveys concern over the fact that something they've been looking forward to purchasing with their hard-earned money is now unable to be purchased due to a publishing decision the developers made. And instead of the devs saying "we're sorry about that, but you'll just have to wait a while before you can give us your money", they say "you're not entitled to our game".

Where in the world, outside of the regions sanctioned by US, is it impossible to buy games from EGS?

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
sbvluqqq7zd31.png

This is insane to me, like, what?

IKR? A better response could have been, "We're very sorry about your situation. We understand that this prevents some of our fans from experiencing the game upon release, but please know that this deal ensures that we make the best game possible. I hope your patience in us will be rewarded. Thank you for your understanding regarding this matter."

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Why do people keep insisting on proving these devs and Schreier right?

These reactions is why they could afford to use a condescending tone.

Lol no. They arent afforded anything. Im laughing at some of you trying to see this as anything other than the developers shitting themselves in public. Youtube videos, screen caps of the devs saying stupid stuff, and the entire subreddit being nuked and you guys are still trying to pretend that they have handled this "fine".

Thats a no.

Oct 27, 2017
it doesn't support a lot of international currencies

That is a far cry from not being able to buy the game. Does it make the entire discord exchange based on the faulty premise that the user is unable to buy the game?

Show me a bank or a card which doesn't have the automatic conversion to the main currencies (EUR, USD, GBP). Worst case scenario it will cost an extra 1% of the skewed conversion rate by the bank/Paypal.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That is a far cry from not being able to buy the game. Does it make the entire discord exchange based on the faulty premise that the user is unable to buy the game?

Show me a bank or a card which doesn't have the automatic conversion to the main currencies (EUR, USD, GBP). Worst case scenario it will cost an extra 1% of the skewed conversion rate by the bank/Paypal.

Many people pay with cash, I don't have a credit card.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
This situation is weird to me. Initally upon reading the game was becoming EGS exclusive, part of me was bummed out as I would prefer Steam so I can just use my wallet credit, plus its where I play most of my games. But hey no big deal, the game looks cool and i've been waiting literally years for it to come out.

This EGS deal would give the devs a big bump in finances, and hopefully they can finally finish and release the game. Ultimately this financial aid for smaller devs is great because alot of the pressure of making sales to break even is lifted.

Then....the statement. They knew that this news would upset alot of people and I feel like the devs had three options here. 1) say nothing and carry on as normal 2) release a "bog standard" PR statement about the EGS deal and how its better for us and the game going forward 3) put out a statement to "the gamerz" on "their level" trying to be cool. It reads as we're gamerz too, put in a few (not that funny jokes) and hopefully people will read in a more lighthearted manner and not be as angry.

Then all this weird condescending, shifting blame, martyr comments they are posting on their reddit and discord etc really confuses me. They are digging themselves into a deeper hole and its a terrible look right now. They've totally mishandled this situation and couldv'e dealt with it so much better. I guess being a super small team (like just two of them or something?) they just don't know how to deal with publishing these kind of statements or dealing with this kind of thing. Perfect example of how not to deal with this situation. Shame.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

oh I see

you knew, you were just leading me into a trap

my bad for trying to give out info

Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight, yeah, the devs took a really stupid approach here. I take absolutely no issue with the initial blog post, but the continuous beefs and bizarre comments that gatekeep who's a "real fan" are just silly.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
In hindsight, yeah, the devs took a really stupid approach here. I take absolutely no issue with the initial blog post, but the continuous beefs and bizarre comments that gatekeep who's a "real fan" are just silly.

yeah it just reminds me of my younger internet years.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
As sour as they're post is, I fully understand. It must be such a relief to have the money to make sure the game can release in the most complete and intended state as possible. At the same time I get the impression the game will go undiscovered or be avoided/boycotted due to the exclusivity, so it becomes a toss up.

Deleted member 22405

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Steam the platform itself (not the store) was a monopoly by the virtue of it being a defacto monopoly.
I don't understand how its a de facto monopoly when it is competing with Origin, uPlay, and every other client without any particularly shady tactics to maintain its lead...?

This is where the monopoly arguement always falls. it makes no sense. I get Steam HAS PROBLEMS, but it is not a monopoly.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Okay now I'm not interested. Noice.

I've followed this since it was shown off at the PC Gaming Show at E3 a year or 2 ago. It's a big shame.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This situation is weird to me. Initally upon reading the game was becoming EGS exclusive, part of me was bummed out as I would prefer Steam so I can just use my wallet credit, plus its where I play most of my games. But hey no big deal, the game looks cool and i've been waiting literally years for it to come out.

This EGS deal would give the devs a big bump in finances, and hopefully they can finally finish and release the game. Ultimately this financial aid for smaller devs is great because alot of the pressure of making sales to break even is lifted.

Then....the statement. They knew that this news would upset alot of people and I feel like the devs had three options here. 1) say nothing and carry on as normal 2) release a "bog standard" PR statement about the EGS deal and how its better for us and the game going forward 3) put out a statement to "the gamerz" on "their level" trying to be cool. It reads as we're gamerz too, put in a few (not that funny jokes) and hopefully people will read in a more lighthearted manner and not be as angry.

Then all this weird condescending, shifting blame, martyr comments they are posting on their reddit and discord etc really confuses me. They are digging themselves into a deeper hole and its a terrible look right now. They've totally mishandled this situation and couldv'e dealt with it so much better. I guess being a super small team (like just two of them or something?) they just don't know how to deal with publishing these kind of statements or dealing with this kind of thing. Perfect example of how not to deal with this situation. Shame.

Like Jim said in the video, they had a single paragraph that nailed it.

(Paraphrased)
"We are a small developer. Getting the upfront assurance that the game is a success provides revenue that allows us to focus on future development rather than IF we will get to keep the lights on."

Boom, done, honest and to the point. What is hard to understand is why that comes after like 3 paragraphs of false equivalencies and unnecessary sarcasm. But even still, I can chalk that up to poor comedic effort and bad taste and shrug it off.

But Jesus, the triple down with the stuff on Discord and the Subreddit is like "Why?" There was no reason to throw gasoline on that tiny little single match on the concrete like that.

Oct 27, 2017
oh I see

you knew, you were just leading me into a trap

my bad for trying to give out info

It used to be the case for China, but EGS kind of opened there a few months ago, so it is only countries which are not allowed to do business with US.

It wasn't a trap, I am just annoyed about the premise that you cannot buy a game on EGS based on region is passed-around without being challenged. Try passing around false information that Steam doesn't do X, or that EGS has an extra feature and you will get hammered by 10 comments instantly. The discord message will naturally lead to the conclusion that you cannot buy games on EGS in some regions (where you can on Steam).

Tearing down any misleading information (whether it is pro or against EGS) will result in a better discussion in the future.

I have a debit card, debit cards don't work on online stores here, I can't have a credit card because of past mistakes of my youth, I'm blacklisted.

Just to be clear, I'm on Brazil and EGS are in R$ now, they were on USD before, they have a way to pay with money, but theres aditional fees.

Paying with the card/Paypal will always be the cheaper option than some local bank-transfer or quick-payment system. I suppose the pre-paid cards make Steam more attractive, because the Paysafe cards have like 6% overhead on EGS. Still, even at 6%, it is a much different discussion that being unable to buy, or having massive hoops to jump through.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Holy shit, that last part is pure fucking trash.

Imagine someone telling me, a black man in America, to worry about human rights abuses. LMFAO.

It's insulting as hell to be told I can't advocate for climate change and human rights, while SIMUTANEOUSLY voicing my displeasure towards EGS.

Right? Like you said, it's straight up insulting, and that's ignoring the fact that it makes light of people who have legitimate concerns about EGS and/or have difficulties purchasing from that store.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
As sour as they're post is, I fully understand. It must be such a relief to have the money to make sure the game can release in the most complete and intended state as possible. At the same time I get the impression the game will go undiscovered or be avoided/boycotted due to the exclusivity, so it becomes a toss up.

There's something to be said about being classy about your fortune. It looks really really bad when you're slinging insults like this when you could just be grateful that you've won the lottery and can start concentrating on the important things now. Yes, they were going to get negativity from the anti-EGS crowd, that was always going to happen, but be freaking graceful about things. Prove the naysayers wrong. Show that you're worthy of that money.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Right? Like you said, it's straight up insulting, and that's ignoring the fact that it makes light of people who have legitimate concerns about EGS and/or have difficulties purchasing from that store.

nobody owes you a game, or even a habitable planet for that matter

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I have a debit card, debit cards don't work on online stores here, I can't have a credit card because of past mistakes of my youth, I'm blacklisted.

Just to be clear, I'm on Brazil and EGS are in R$ now, they were on USD before, they have a way to pay with money, but theres aditional fees.
Ah that's annoying :( debit cards work fine for us here

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Well, that's the thing.

They already have the money, guaranteed revenue.

We're in a post-sales world now, where customers aren't needed.

People did say that the competition from Epic would shake things up though. That competition is good for....some.
Exactly. And, depending on the dev, it makes the games not worth playing because the devs don't have enough confidence in their product to stand on it's own to feet and compete on the open marketplace.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Paying with the card/Paypal will always be the cheaper option than some local bank-transfer or quick-payment system. I suppose the pre-paid cards make Steam more attractive, because the Paysafe cards have like 6% overhead on EGS. Still, even at 6%, it is a much different discussion that being unable to buy, or having massive hoops to jump through.

For some people this 6% may be a day of food.

To tell where I'm coming from, I have depression and social phobia, I only leave home to work, the only thing I do with my free time is play games on my PC and Netflix, so I spend most of the money I have left on games, and I usually don't have much money left, or at all, so every little bit helps.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how its a de facto monopoly when it is competing with Origin, uPlay, and every other client without any particularly shady tactics to maintain its lead...?

This is where the monopoly arguement always falls. it makes no sense. I get Steam HAS PROBLEMS, but it is not a monopoly.
People love to throw the word monopoly around without actually knowing what the word means. Shit is frustrating lol

Oct 31, 2017
Like Jim said in the video, they had a single paragraph that nailed it.

(Paraphrased)
"We are a small developer. Getting the upfront assurance that the game is a success provides revenue that allows us to focus on future development rather than IF we will get to keep the lights on."

Boom, done, honest and to the point.
Right, I agree.
But let's be clear about something: while this would have been a honest, straight forward and acceptable explanation, it STILL wouldn't give them any right to get angry at any of the customers withdrawing their support for the game.
As they chose what was more convenient for them, everyone else in the user base should have the same right when it comes to their own money.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of the game until today - looks awesome.

The dev pretty much doomed whatever long term prospects the studio would have had because he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
It wasn't a trap, I am just annoyed about the premise that you cannot buy a game on EGS based on region is passed-around without being challenged. Try passing around false information that Steam doesn't do X, or that EGS has an extra feature and you will get hammered by 10 comments instantly. The discord message will naturally lead to the conclusion that you cannot buy games on EGS in some regions (where you can on Steam).
yeah I get it

just know that I was trying to say what people meant, not trying to amplify their argument

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I thought they implemented regional pricing months ago, is that still an issue? Can anyone explain?
Not sure if you got a response sorry, but what EGS does is convert to local pricing in Australia and a few other non-US countries as well I believe. That'd be fine and dandy, however EGS also doesn't have local currency support for even some of the bigger countries, like Australia. So I have to pay in local regional prices then on top of that pay in USD which gets converted, making it more expensive.

An example, if I buy a game that's regionally priced at $29.99USD whereas in the US it is $19.99USD I'm also being hit with USD conversion making it something like $44AUD or something. Nothing has been said and all that Sweeney ever says is the "Steam tax" while charging me more for the same product. What joys a capitalistic monopoly brings!

See my post above. I'm in Australia and it ain't just a measly 1% increase on prices. I'm paying an extra $15 because Epic don't give a shit about local currency because they don't know how to run their store. Or they do and want to claim Steam js horrendous with their dev cuts but only if you look at USD.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be healthier for Epic to buy, or fully employ, these indie devs/studios?

They don't want to buy studios, that involves too much risk.

That remains to be seen. They bought Psyonix and while it's pure guesswork, I have a nagging suspiscion they're gonna add more. I don't see how Psyonix fit in, if not because they're looking for more developers to provide content to their ecosystem.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It used to be the case for China, but EGS kind of opened there a few months ago, so it is only countries which are not allowed to do business with US.

Tearing down any misleading information (whether it is pro or against EGS) will result in a better discussion in the future.

Epic Store is still unavailable in Korea for most games. Epic requires you to get game rated in Korea or they won't let you sell there.
Such ratings are only available for Korean based companies.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
God, for this unbelievable stupid argument that "steam didn't had good features when it started 15 years ago", this developer is on my personal blacklist now. I can't support a company with such a dumb mindset.
That is wrong on so many levels, holy shit.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

Does it only count for you if the buy button is greyed out? I absolutely understand if it is "impossible" for someone to buy a game on EGS if it is more than double the price of what it would be if it released on Steam like they expected. "I am not able to buy this game (now that is costs half of my monthly salary)" wouldn't be the least bit odd of a statement to me.
Just read this thread on Reddit.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel sorry for the wife. She is doing all the core job(coding and art) will also being the most recognizable face of the project and her husband have to come and act like a manbaby on the internet.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing that the worst screenshot was miscommunication has made me relieved honestly. I wish they'd just done what the goose game devs did without all that "Climate Change" whataboutery.

Last edited:

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Also I'd like to address the Malaysian father screenshot that's going around, since they have clarified that it was poorly-timed cross talk. Here is Rebecca actually replying to that user:

COGRmWf.png
Thanks for setting the record straight.
I agree that this was the worst incident, and since it effectively didn't happen - the response was evidently misrepresented as one that was made to Crusism - that significantly cools my opinion on this whole ordeal.

I should've been able to tell that perplamps' response was not @ Crusism, and so not necessarily directed at him. At that point I was more inclined to just take it at face value because of the other flippant, condescending, dismissive stuff he had said. But I should've applied more scrutiny and will try to take care to do so in the future.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
If your store is good enough then you don't need to desperately money hat as many developers as possible.
Giving out all these free games to hook people in is just an evil practice. "Hey kid, want some candy?"
Speaks volumes about Timmy boy and EGS shit show.

And that's something Jason Schreier seems completely incapable of understanding, despite him being a journalist.
giphy.gif

Wait...he really is? Bloody hell!

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Also I'd like to address the Malaysian father screenshot that's going around, since they have clarified that it was poorly-timed cross talk. Here is Rebecca actually replying to that user:

COGRmWf.png

I appreciate this clarification. The cross talk created a REAL bad look. It honestly made me feel a little sick. However, it is nice to know that they aren't monsters. There was still a lot of snippy, needlessly aggressive comments. But that was the super bad one.