• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
Inaccurate? *checks internet* *checks here* Probably far too generous

Again, right here on era, not just on some hate reddit -- here on era -- not only were the devs being called names, but people defending them were literally attacked as shills.

Were those people the majority?

A better analogy would be that the restaurant hasn't opened yet, but you probably won't visit it because it's not near your house. It was going to be near your house, but they decided to open their business elsewhere. So you won't visit it, and that's fine, but many people have decided to attack, harass, and threaten them before they've opened because they don't like the location.

A better analogy would be that a new food product is announced that excites you and is slated to be available in a wide variety of stores. A week before release, it's suddenly announced that the food is now exclusive to one particular store chain for a year. Unfortunately, that chain is pretty awful. No shopping carts, only one cashier, very limited variety of goods, doors that have to be manually opened and closed, lousy prices, etc. This annoys you so you decide to wait until the food is available in better stores. However, a vocal minority of assholes decide to have violent riots because of the announcement and anyone who criticizes the announcement is lumped together with them.

Last edited:

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
User Banned (1 week): Excusing harassment and threats
A bit "late to the party" on this one, but despite how vile, hateful, and disproportionate these responses are towards the devs, I'm finding it hard to muster up much sympathy for them after their initial blog post.

It reads so condescending and antagonistic, and despite making it clear that they're aware of how people feel about the EGS, the post somehow still comes off as completely tone-deaf to the situation. Hand-waving away some of the genuine criticisms people have towards Epic, their store, and how they conduct business, and then making some false-equivalencies about getting mad at things that "really" matter and telling you to get some perspective, despite this still being a product (video games are still products, right??), they just kind of come off like dicks.

Bookending the whole thing with a gif of the Ooblets character flossing, which might as well just be a banner saying "deal with it", is kind of just the perfect, smug cherry on this already hostile sundae.

It reminds me a lot of those assholes in high school who antagonize people into a fight, and then when they get hit go "Whoa whoa whoa! What the hell man?!" and act dumbfounded about what just happened. Do I think that they deserve this level of reaction? Of course not; you can disagree with them and call them out on their blog post without resorting to harassment. It's always wrong and there will never be a time when it's warranted. But at the same time, the post feels like it was written with the intention of inflaming people already upset about the EGS, so acting surprised by the blowback and looking for sympathy about the internet being upset with you when you were kind of an asshole to begin with feels really dishonest.

Last edited:

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
A bit "late to the party" on this one, but despite how vile, hateful, and disproportionate these responses are towards the devs, I'm finding it hard to muster up much sympathy for them after their initial blog post.

It reads so condescending and antagonistic, and despite making it clear that they're aware of how people feel about the EGS, the post somehow still comes off as completely tone-deaf to the situation. Hand-waving away some of the genuine criticisms people have towards Epic, their store, and how they conduct business, and then making some false-equivalencies about getting mad at things that "really" matter and telling you to get some perspective, despite this still being a product (video games are still products, right??), they just kind of come off like dicks.

Bookending the whole thing with a gif of the Ooblets character flossing, which might as well just be a banner saying "deal with it", is kind of just the perfect, smug cherry on this already hostile sundae.

It reminds me a lot of those assholes in high school who antagonize people into a fight, and then when they get hit go "Whoa whoa whoa! What the hell man?!" and act dumbfounded about what just happened. Do I think that they deserve this level of reaction? Of course not; you can disagree with them and call them out on their blog post without resorting to harassment. It's always wrong and there will never be a time when it's warranted. But at the same time, the post feels like it was written with the intention of inflaming people already upset about the EGS, so acting surprised by the blowback and looking for sympathy about the internet being upset with you when you were kind of an asshole to begin with feels really dishonest.
Come on, like even in the worst case and untrue scenario where the post was meant to antagonize people who dislike the EGS, even then the sort of reaction they got is completely unwarranted. I refuse to buy things from the EGS and found their original post to be terrible in regards to PR, but I simply can't imagine what would possess me to go out of my way to harass these people on a personal basis. It's a harmless business decision and the reaction really doesn't need to be anything more than not buying the game and perhaps posting on a forum about why you are doing so, without actually seeking out the devs and hammering their inbox with attacks.
People act too fragile and somehow take these things as personal insults against them, the devs are ultimately right, no one is entitled to a game and they can package and sell their own product however they see fit, with or without anyone elses permission.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
They've been guaranteed the money needed to make the game they want to make. That's good for them, Epic, and the people who want to play it. Everybody wins.

If you don't see it that way, you probably don't care about the game or the people developing it. They made a good decision for themselves.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
They've been guaranteed the money needed to make the game they want to make. That's good for them, Epic, and the people who want to play it. Everybody wins.

If you don't see it that way, you probably don't care about the game or the people developing it. They made a good decision for themselves.

Lot of flawed assumptions here. How do you know they're using the money to improve the game instead of putting it towards their next project? Do you think Ubisoft and 2K invested all of their EGS money into The Divison 2 and Borderlands 3?

I've been interested in a lot of games that became EGS timed exclusives: Metro Exodus, The Outer Wilds, The Outer Worlds, The Sinking City, Detroit, Walking Dead final season, Control, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, Hades, Maneater, Phoenix Point, Journey, Griftlands, Observation, Satisfactory, etc. I want these games to be good because I fully intend to eventually play them. However, I'm also not deluded into believing that these games were dramatically improved by EGS money, especially the ones that have publishers. When games are developed, they have schedules and budgets allocated to them before even going into pre-production. Just because you receive a sudden influx of cash doesn't mean you're going to change that budget or schedule. It's far more likely that you'll stick to your existing plan and use the money as a safety buffer for your next project.

The argument that consumers should be happy just because a business made money is an odd one, especially when customers suffer for it. And customers do suffer from timed exclusives. Timed exclusives are designed to deprive competing platforms of content. This, in turn, hurts customers of those platforms. It's an inherently anti-consumer business tactic. Ideally, games would be available on all platforms. That way, customers could play the game with the features they care about. Don't like DRM? Pick GOG. Like achievements/trading cards/badges/universal controller support/cloud saves/forums/user reviews/big picture mode/library sharing/broadcasting/stat tracking/screen shots/etc? Pick Steam. Like... um... big icons? Pick EGS. Customers benefit from legitimate competition. They don't benefit from Epic's competition.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

That's a very narrow definition of "everybody". It is undoubtedly a good move for the Ooblets developers, I'm not sure anybody is even arguing that? They got paid, good for them.

But now consider all the people who are not in one of those three groups. How about all the other struggling indie developers Epic looked at and went "nah, you don't get to be on our store". Did they all win?

TheVoidDragon

Jan 16, 2018

It's not "good for the people who want to play it" when it is not something where the developers will just get more money and everything else is the same, it's a situation that will be detrimental to a lot of those looking forward to the game because of lack of features, availability, the questionable ethics behind this happeningof it etc.

Games being made Epic Exclusive because developers/publishers are being given money to do so is something that means there's less competition with those games being only available on an objectively worse store, and it's something where they're evidently choosing that money over consumer goodwill and regardless of the impact on their players. How is it good for "everybody" that they're engaging in an anti-consumer buisness practice?