• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
And now we are seeing the seedy, shitty underbelly of this whole EGS episode . . .

#competitionisgood
#goodforconsumers
#trickledown
#justanotherlauncher
#18vs30!

An indie Dev ensuring that their game can be made and released is a weird underbelly.

Also, consider that there is no real good alternative with how much people get acerbic about delays. People get weirdly entitled about this kind of stuff.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
RalOSV2.png

Seems like the payout was good for them

Hoo, they must really have confidence in their ability to make money post-Epic.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
What he said was incorrect because it didn't even come close to addressing what the guy was actually asking about.

He wasn't asking for a game. He wanted to know if Patreon supporters would receive a copy, because he wanted to be able to plan his budget to be able to afford it if not.
No, I don't see how he could have possibly have been just asking for a game when he has literally asked that question before in the patreon and not only had it answered, but was referred to the fact that a free copy of the game was **NEVER** listed as a reward on the very Patreon he has been pumping money into...

And again, what the developer said was not incorrect at all...

Oct 27, 2017
A normally functioning marketing and PR would say 'Sorry for that, we'll send you a free key for compensation' whether or not about the Malaysian dad is real.
I don't think that is even a thing on EGS is it ? I mean by all accounts Epic are the one's that just paid for 300k copies of the game I don't think they are going to appreciate the developer handing out free copies. The EGS store is that basic the developer couldn't even buy a copy and gift it to the guy.

Having said that the way this arsehole replied to that Malaysian guy was absolutely vile. It is becoming clear to me from the original blogpost that the "toxicity" was clear projection from the developer. It was absolutely vile, tasteless and beyond and sense of human decency the way the arsehole responded on discord.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Show me where I am cheering for EGS? You want to have a proper conversation yet you'rte so biased you think anyone who buys a game on EGS is some fanboy shill for them. Of course I'm going to avoid it because anyone who buys a game from their store is dirt to you and you want to label anyone who does get a game from EGS as some cheerleader promoting the store. It's a waste of time because you see it as you either boycott the store or you are a cheerleader. Doesn't sound like a mature conversation to me.

My comment here is about you suggesting you will never support the game, that tells me you've made it personal with the dev for making the deal in the first place when you can just wait it out and get in on Steam after the deal is up like most deals EGS does.
You have shilled constantly about egs and when posts pointed out how you were wrong you ignore them, I don't know if I will ever buy egs exclusives that come to steam since they have shown they don't care about customers but chances of me buying this game is nonexistent right now.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Again, there is literally nothing wrong with him saying "no amount of sob stories is going to entitle you to our work"...

And let's be real, none of you give a solid crap about this developer "not caring" about the Malaysian person's situation...

Why are so many of the arguments in favor of these deals made in such bad faith? Jesus christ.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
We are being invaded by Russian bots, there's no other answer. I refuse to admit that people like this exist on this website.

No, they're real, and their disconnect from reality has always read as very alt-rightish to me.

I totally embrace tinfoil hats and believe the russian thing. Some attitudes when it comes to things like this topic are too disconnected to not be. It's a very "Let them eat cake!" thing...

Here's a very real take when it comes to marketing: If I've never heard of your indie game before, something like this is the absolute WORST way of making a first impression. Didn't know about the game, will now not bother reading anything about it again, so great job marketing guy.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Ben "Perplamps" is in FUCK YOU GOT MINE Mastered Ultra Instinct mode right now. Someone needs to unplug his router and flush his phone down the toilet before he destroys the universe. If Epic has ninjas they need to be dispatched immediately before he completely soils the valuation of their deal.

Holy shit what a dick.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, there is literally nothing wrong with him saying "no amount of sob stories is going to entitle you to our work"...

And let's be real, none of you give a solid crap about this developer "not caring" about the Malaysian person's situation...

This post sucks.

I genuinely cared about that guy's situation and the developer's response was horribly out of line even if he is technically right that no one is entitled to his work.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
His response to supporters leaves a lot to be desired, but honestly... we're talking about a small indie game. Not a person with the resources to follow up on the amount of venom coming at them over a publishing agreement. This is far beyond the amount of people I've seen in the community for the game.

The response from people who just want to tear down something they've been working on for years because their mad over EGS is gross. There's way more people involved than who ever planned to follow or even knew of the game and are acting like bullies now to justify opinions that have nothing to do with the game.

Putting every reply the guy gives in this vacuum under a microscope and labeling him a shitty person dosent work for me. Some of the replies here are gross and the posters deserve being called entitled and childish.
+1. I feel like the egs threads verge on toxicity regularly

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
That's fine, but unfortunately he's also not required to show sympathy, especially while also being attacked online, for a situation he doesn't even know is real...

Nothing he said was incorrect, and being blunt or direct in his responses doesn't change that?...

I don't like or want developers to be attacked BUT this whole thing started with a massive blog post that was nothing but condescending and having a go at people (and customers) before anyone even had a reaction to the news. I mean he painted a target on himself for no reason... Do you really think this would have blown up if they just said they took the deal for financial stability?

Murugo

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow.

Even worse. Some Patreon supporter from Malaysia talking about his opinion:

tmHGd4m.png

Answer to that:

001a4kro.jpg

Here to show that it is meant for that and not just cut wrong:

Yeah, this is not how you treat your community under any circumstance. I'm starting to wonder if their attitude was always this way or if they let the EGS money get to their heads.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
didn't that perplamps person say they were going to log off the internet for today? that's always the precursor for not actually logging off and getting into more shit

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I don't like or want developers to be attacked BUT this whole thing started with a massive blog post that was nothing but condescending and having a go at people (and customers) before anyone even had a reaction to the news. I mean he painted a target on himself for no reason... Do you really think this would have blown up if they just said they took the deal for financial stability?

Exactly this. Imagine being named childish for not wanting to buy something from an asshole.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sometimes you gotta just do good recklessly

I would've just given that guy from Malaysia a key just for the good PR hit and also because why not tbh, that's a layup

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
I was looking forward to this game. I don't like the tone that was used in the blog post.

In the ends it's all about survival of the fittest, this dev choose the money and that is how they will survive to fight another day. Now if they live to fight another day beyond that (this is referring to if Epic will offer them another deal for their next game/or if the EGS money from this game last them long enough for them to make a new one) is unknown.

As it stands they will not be receiving my money and that's okay because some one else offered them some already.

What I am more interested in is what this will look like 2 years after this game releases on EGS, by that point it should be on Steam and we should hear about if the money was put to good use or not (if you get a lot of money that does not always guarantee that your game will be better and there can also be mismanagement of funds, we are humans after all and that seems to be one of our weak points).

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the strategy in going out swinging at people even trying to be civil? Jesus christ. I'm literally not seeing what the point is in attacking fans in their own discord.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Why are so many of the arguments in favor of these deals made in such bad faith? Jesus christ.
And this is the heart of it, right here. I didn't mention a deal and could care less. The people who DO hate EGS and whatever deals they make desperately want something negative to latch on to so they can string a thread to "bad PR" or anything that doesn't shed it in the best light. It fuels their need to shit up random threads with "fuck Epic!" and the like...

Someone willingly:

-supports a Patreon
-mentions they supported it because they want to genuinely see the game succeed
-mentions that supporting it helped them maintain a relationship with their wife
-notices that on the Patreon, nothing is mentioned about receiving the game for free on release date as a Patreon
-asks on the discord if he will be receiving the game for free
-is told no
-mentions that the news of the EGS exclusivity changes nothing in regards to his question
-asks the exact same question again later, but this time mentions that if he keeps supporting it, he won't be able to afford the game on release date if he has to use the EGS store (which, for whatever reason, doesn't prompt him to pull his support and save up his money)
-is told that the game will be coming to Steam later

And now, the developer is a bad guy because his response to someone showing a screenshot 8 hours later of the question amidst rants from 4chan users and disrespectful "supporters" threatening to pirate their game isn't "nice enough"? This thread is a joke...

Hopefully you aren't so naive as to think it wouldn't have...

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt the moneyhat from Epic is enough to cover you after destroying your reputation as a game dev. Going to have to find another line of work after release most likely.

It's a bold move.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory language
So this whole Ooblets situation and the absolute toxic Human Trash involved with it it has guaranteed EGS won't be getting my business ever. The moneyhats were one thing - I was willing to buy on EGS if there were amenable circumstances for me to want to buy under. Then THIS SHIT happened. All this abhorrent shit that they posting on their Discord. I already deemed this game Straight into the Trash Bin with the blog-post, but this... This is the shit that Epic willingly associates itself with, among several other Bad Actors. This was the last straw for me.

Epic isn't receiving my business ever for any reason after this shit. I was willing to crack the coinpurse before if they presented me the right reason to, but now giving Epic any money whatsoever would be a violation of my moral compass and convictions.

Last edited:

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should tackle the guy or stop him from using Discord right now

Yeah, they need somebody clearheaded to ask them to take a breather, before responding again. They probably tried to explain things rationally at first, but weren't prepared for the backlash and have too little PR training to handle it and now it just looks like they're lashing out at people. It would serve them better to just step away from the keybord a little while.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
And this is the heart of it, right here. I didn't mention a deal and could care less. The people who DO hate EGS and whatever deals they make desperately want something negative to latch on to so they can string a thread to "bad PR" or anything that doesn't shed it in the best light. It fuels their need to shit up random threads with "fuck Epic!" and the like...

Someone willingly:

-supports a Patreon
-mentions that supporting it helped them maintain a relationship with their wife
-notices that on the Patreon, nothing is mentioned about receiving the game for free on release date as a Patreon
-is told no
-mentions that the news of the EGS exclusivity changes nothing in regards to his question
-asks the exact same question again later, but this time mentions that if he keeps supporting it, he won't be able to afford the game on release date if he has to use the EGS store (which, for whatever reason, doesn't prompt him to pull his support and save up his money)

And now, the developer is a bad guy because his response to someone showing a screenshot 8 hours later of the question amidst rants from 4chan users and disrespectful "supporters" threatening to pirate their game isn't "nice enough"? This thread is a joke...

Why are you taking it so personal how people feel about EGS? There are always going to be assholes that pirate games regardless if they are on EGS or steam and fuck those people but that does not mean that there are not legit reasons to take issue with how this developer is being towards customers, supporters, and followers. Not everyone is being toxic towards the devs in this thread either, I would argue the dev is being toxic towards anyone that does not agree with him though.

Remember he started this kicking a beehive on purpose.

You clearly do care about the deal at some level if you care how EGS is perceived?

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you taking it so personal how people feel about EGS? There are always going to be assholes that pirate games regardless if they are on EGS or steam and fuck those people but that does not mean that there are not legit reasons to take issue with how this developer is being towards customers, supporters, and followers. Not everyone is being toxic towards the devs in this thread either, I would argue the dev is being toxic towards anyone that does not agree with him though.

Remember he started this kicking a beehive on purpose.

You clearly do care about the deal at some level if you care how EGS is perceived?

I mean, people in this thread are acting as though the EGS deal was itself kicking a beehive.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to understand, if you choose EGS exclusivity you must apologize whilst being bludgeoned to death. It's the only penance that will suffice.

They definitely should tried to show a little more tact with their responses, but honestly who could keep their cool under these kinds of conditions. I think it's too much to ask of most people.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, people in this thread are acting as though the EGS deal was itself kicking a beehive.

I mean yes? did you read the blog post? Im happy the devs are getting paid and striking while the iron is hot but they didn't need to talk down to people about it either. EGS deals are a touchy subject right now and this guy knew it and made that post anyway.

There's no logical way for you to have come to that conclusion based on what you quoted, at all...

Have a nice day!

What is this but caring how EGS is perceived? Also, I'm not trying to upset you...

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
You have to understand, if you choose EGS exclusivity you must apologize whilst being bludgeoned to death. It's the only penance that will suffice.

They definitely should tried to show a little more tact with their responses, but honestly who could keep their cool under these kinds of conditions. I think it's too much to ask of most people.

I miss the days when businesses were expected to act professional. The lack of professionalism here is embarrassing. I don't care if they're just small time devs. I know people who run hobbies more professionally than this dude.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
"When do you think your game I've supported and eagerly await will be released?"

"Fuck you I'm gonna tape a picture of Tim Sweeney to the wall at eye level and punch a crotch-level hole beneath it while scream-singing Money, Money, Money by ABBA."

I don't see how anyone could be mad due to the technical correctness on display with this response.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they need somebody clearheaded to ask them to take a breather, before responding again. They probably tried to explain things rationally at first, but weren't prepared for the backlash and have too little PR training to handle it and now it just looks like they're lashing out at people. It would serve them better to just step away from the keybord a little while.

The first thing they did was post that blog post taking shots at everyone before they even had a chance to react to this news.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have shilled constantly about egs and when posts pointed out how you were wrong you ignore them, I don't know if I will ever buy egs exclusives that come to steam since they have shown they don't care about customers but chances of me buying this game is nonexistent right now.
Show me one shill comment because I dont think you even know the definition of the word. Like I said, you've got personal issues with anyone who supports them.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Whatever you think about the blog post stuff, I think the Discord stuff is way more damaging because that's outright going after people who are more than likely a fan of your game, enough to join your server

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most people can, and if they cant most people who've worked in their lives know when to step back and take a breathe. Its why we dont have foobars like this evey minute of everyday.Speaking as an adult, I have no sympathy for this dude. He had plenty of opportunities to just stop but he didnt.

He dug his hole, he can sleep in it.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

Tetris Effect coming to EGS - 588 Replies

Ghost Recon coming to EGS - 350 Replies

Borderlands 3 coming to EGS - 999 + 610 Replies (The 2nd being a thread for the trailer in general so not even all those replies are for EGS)

This thread? At least 1,500 replies and counting.

Now, unless you believe Ooblets is more high profile than Borderlands 3...I believe had the dev just said the truth without being condescending, this thread wouldn't be as big as it is.

Would have they still gotten shit from assholes? Sure. But to think it would blow up like it did? No way. Even on this thread alone we have users who are not complaining about the game going to EGS, but just how the dev talked about it.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I tell you one thing, if Epic causes devs to self destruct this spectacularly then wooo boy, the next couple of years are gonna be fan-fucking-tastic.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Someone willingly:

-supports a Patreon
-is told no

Your posts are the joke,
Show me one shill comment because I dont think you even know the definition of the word. Like I said, you've got personal issues with anyone who supports them.
I don't but I do have issues with its just another launcher and the bullshit that people run to epics defence, people can buy from where they want doesn't mean I think it's a good thing. Im not going to waste my time looking at your posts.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I read the blog post this morning and it annoyed me but I just thought, another game I won't play, fine. There are thousands of others. But coming back now, their attitude and arguments are so shitty and full of contempt that I had to go check their official dev name, Glumberland, so I can personally blacklist them into the future. The sheer hubris, arrogance, ignorance and stupidity of that post is simply too off-putting for me to ever support them.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
>16-page thread about an uncouth comment and EGS exclusivity

"The Ooblets dev sure is self-destructing"
You might want to look up about 3 posts to the discord comments. This guy has gone way beyond what most employers would fire you for on social media, Im curious to see how far he'll go.

Oct 25, 2017
You might want to look up about 3 posts to the discord comments. This guy has gone way beyond what most employers would fire you for on social media, Im curious to see how far hell go.

It's a person pretty validly annoyed by a bunch of people who take EGS really, really seriously. Because let's be honest, the outrage may be informed by the uncouth comments, but it exists primarily because it's an EGS topic.