• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Again, no, they didn't...there was a survey, made by someone not on the development team, after their kickstarter was underway...
They also mentioned that you might need a Steam key to activate your purchase and then in the SAME post stated that those requirements were subject to change because the game was still under development...

Literally none of them promised Steam keys...

I can literally screenshot my backer survey. I had to choose "Steam" as my selection.

You can arbitrarily decide it doesn't count for reasons only you understand but it is what it is.

Im sorry did they not give refunds to people? Also regardless of whether the the survey was made by the dev team or the marketing team or even by a third party team, they made themselves vulnerable by specifically stating steam as an option, this could have been avoided by stating pc instead but by listing steam they had to honour those steam preorders (well in the EU atleast) or provide refunds.

They stated that they would give refunds. They have not actually done this however.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
haN4RCG.png

hJ36IKa.png

iq6BLPL.png
Wow, they are so fucking condescending. What a nice way to make me avoid anything made by them like the plague.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Im sorry did they not give refunds to people? Also regardless of whether the the survey was made by the dev team or the marketing team or even by a third party team, they made themselves vulnerable by specifically stating steam as an option, this could have been avoided by stating pc instead but by listing steam they had to honour those steam preorders (well in the EU atleast) or provide refunds.

The fallacy of "any publicity is good publicity" thegames industry never seems to learn....Oh well heres hoping sony brings back their sacrficial launch goats and EA hires more fake protesters .

well technically they haven't given refunds to anyone yet. they just promised to. or maybe they didn't promise to?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, they are so fucking condescending. What a nice way to make me avoid anything made by them like the plague.
Yeah, that's the way I read it too. I mean, I guess I know about a game now that I didn't a few minutes ago before clicking on this thread, but it still just rubs me the wrong way.

Whenever I see responses like this developer's, I can only think of Charles Grodin's line from Midnight Run: "You're just about the fuckin' money."

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Man I didn't think it was going to get worse after the blog post, the marketing guy managed to pour gasoline all over the game with his mega fuck you, got mine attitude straight from the GOP playbook.

Rebecca should lay low for a while

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
User banned (5 days): Trolling over a series of posts, drawing inflammatory comparisons, antagonizing other members.
I'm gonna assume that you CAN read and that you aren't being this obtuse on purpose...

The question asks which digital version you would like, and lists Steam instead of PC despite listing "Windows PC", specifically, since day one, everywhere else on the website. The question is from a survey created by FanGamer. This is literally what an email from FanGamer looks like in reference to Shenmue 3:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey there,

Fangamer is only handling logistical aspects of Shenmue III, like surveys, shipment of physical rewards, and distribution of digital downloads under contract with Ys Net. Unfortunately, we have no information about the PC version of the game beyond what was announced.

All Kickstarter, Shenmue.link, and slacker backers paid Ys Net directly, even through our system; we never held backer funds and cannot process refunds. You can contact Ys Net through the Kickstarter or by email at [email protected].
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"bUt ThEy PrOmIsEd MeH" again, this thread is a fucking joke...

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
If she said anything awful, you can bet there'd be screencaps posted everywhere in the thread already. There's no receipts.

iemrk7c.png

She's like night and day compared to perplamps and should've done the PR instead of his abrasive ass.

Is she going to address perplamp's idiotic Discord messages? If not, her passivity will hurt her team's public reputation in the long run.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I've never seen so many people gravitate towards being wrong on a website...
I'm sorry Ys Net never promised you the "Steam version of the PC game" that FanGamer promised you...

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Didn't Ooblets say it was going to be Play Anywhere?
Yerp. Even in recent dev posts, they've referenced how difficult UWP is proving. Who knows where that is now that MS is backing away from it anyway. I imagine they worked out a way to back out with MS.

I'm not going to pretend I know this game and I wish nothing but good wishes for the Devs but does anyone else think this whole "this will make our game better" a bit of a silly statement?

I mean most art made under a limited budget tends to work out better than pumping money into it. Restriction usually breeds creative works.

One thing for sure is that Epic will never stop doing this. At this point no one is going to not take bags of money up front so the PC industry is forever changed now.
How is it a silly statement? If they just wanted to stop hemmoraghing money, this two person could have just released the damn game months or a year ago. They've chosen to keep working on it full-time. To know that the game will at the very minimum bring them the money that they hoped for frees them to do what they want to do - keep working on the game. It's the most ridiculous thing to say "I think that devs should have even less money than they already do for all the expenses of game development, but that's True Art (tm)." Come on.

Not only is that not a something to get mad at the devs about. I HONESTLY don't understand how you could be mad at Epic for doing it either. Yes. It's fucking inconvenient to install another launcher. No. That does not even begin to compare to the stress of betting your families mid-term future on the success of an unproven and totally unsecured gamble.

I understand why did they take money but at the same time developers also need to know that they won't get money forever. And they need to learn that not every game is huge success. Epic giving guaranteed sales makes it kinda hard for developers to adjust to the market. You can't make games you want forever and expect others (in this case Epic) to payyou even if you are not successful.
"They need to learn that not every game is huge success". What the crap? Not every post is a huge success. That's why we're not implementing the "every 6th post automatically gets banned" rule on ResetEra, because that's how the world is - and we wouldn't want you to get soft and assume that your post is of any value. Cuz it's not.

Jeez. This isn't EA. This is 2 people's lives.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Lovely that this has become quite a shitshow. Like honestly, even through I think they should had just left it at EGS bringing in more money to support development (which is totally fine), that blog post isn't quite wrong per say, although being a bit tongue-in-cheek doesn't help. And now Ben is just adding fuel to the fire and seems to have gotten worse on discord. He should back off a little, but guess the game is certainly getting a lot of attention now.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
First thing to do with EGS money, Hire a PR person. Maybe Epic should assign a PR person with every contract.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I'm gonna assume that you CAN read and that you aren't being this obtuse on purpose...

The question asks which digital version you would like, and lists Steam instead of PC despite listing "Windows PC", specifically, since day one, everywhere else on the website. The question is from a survey created by FanGamer. This is literally what an email from FanGamer looks like in reference to Shenmue 3:

"bUt ThEy PrOmIsEd MeH" again, this thread is a fucking joke...

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all can hate and boycott all you want, but at the end of the day this publicity is securing more sales than they would have potentially made. Not to mention they have a check so they don't have to stress about having to cancel the game in the first place.

There's seriously zero evidence for this. I know I certainly wouldn't want people to learn about my game in this way, but I also wouldn't be so stupid as to draw a huge line in the sand and be such an antagonist asshole to any and all potential customers who happen to be on the other side.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
If she said anything awful, you can bet there'd be screencaps posted everywhere in the thread already. There's no receipts.

iemrk7c.png

She's like night and day compared to perplamps and should've done the PR instead of his abrasive ass.

She needs to blink twice if she's under duress.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Is she going to address perplamp's idiotic Discord messages? If not, her passivity will hurt her team's public reputation in the long run.
Probably not. I don't know. Maybe if an article or something comes out from a reputable website that's not 4chan/reddit/random game message board (sorry era) :p I'm not sure if she's aware of his Discord posts, don't think she was asked about them. I mostly saw her talking about the blog post and general EGS stuff.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Damn, 33 pages for Ooblets. They obviously made the right choice as I'm sure tons of people now know this thing even exists.

This was the signal boost of a lifetime and they no longer have to risk shit.

I bet after MS bought Double Fine and they lost their publisher they were WAY more willing to just get that Epic security.

Perplamps on full tilt, but is not wrong.

Still there day one as I can launch it through steam anyway just like I did for Outer Wilds.

Y'all can hate and boycott all you want, but at the end of the day this publicity is securing more sales than they would have potentially made. Not to mention they have a check so they don't have to stress about having to cancel the game in the first place.
How far does bad publicity get you in this industry, I wonder?

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen so many people gravitate towards being wrong on a website...
I'm sorry Ys Net never promised you the "Steam version of the PC game" that FanGamer promised you...

You're ridiculous and I'm going to stop replying to you, but you cannot reasonably expect people to differentiate Fangamer from Ys when they are both representing Shenmue 3 and its sales and distribution. It almost certainly would not hold up in a court of law.

Most people probably didn't know what the fuck a Fangamer or Ys is, and they shouldn't have to. The official communication they received about their version preference was about a Steam key.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
There's seriously zero evidence for this. I know I certainly wouldn't want people to learn about my game in this way, but I also wouldn't be so stupid as to draw a huge line in the sand and be such an antagonist asshole to any and all potential customers who happen to be on the other side.
This thread is the evidence. People literally had no idea this game existed until the controversy put it on people's radars.
How far does bad publicity get you in this industry, I wonder?
Far enough to pay for food and a roof.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is the evidence. People literally had no idea this game existed until the controversy put it on people's radars.

You have no read through the thread, then. There are for more posts from people saying they will not support this game or developer of this craziness than there are those discovering the game and saying they will buy it.

Now, you can call all of these posters liars, but nothing in this thread indicates that they're going to see more sales as a result of drumming up this controversy.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Yerp. Even in recent dev posts, they've referenced how difficult UWP is proving. Who knows where that is now that MS is backing away from it anyway. I imagine they worked out a way to back out with MS.

How is it a silly statement? If they just wanted to stop hemmoraghing money, this two person could have just released the damn game months or a year ago. They've chosen to keep working on it full-time. To know that the game will at the very minimum bring them the money that they hoped for frees them to do what they want to do - keep working on the game. It's the most ridiculous thing to say "I think that devs should have even less money than they already do for all the expenses of game development, but that's True Art (tm)." Come on.

Not only is that not a something to get mad at the devs about. I HONESTLY don't understand how you could be mad at Epic for doing it either. Yes. It's fucking inconvenient to install another launcher. No. That does not even begin to compare to the stress of betting your families mid-term future on the success of an unproven and totally unsecured gamble.

"They need to learn that not every game is huge success". What the crap? Not every post is a huge success. That's why we're not implementing the "every 6th post automatically gets banned" rule on ResetEra, because that's how the world is - and we wouldn't want you to get soft and assume that your post is of any value. Cuz it's not.

Jeez. This isn't EA. This is 2 people's lives.

Ok so I have covered this in other posts but I will clarify again. "I think that devs should have even less money than they already do for all the expenses of game development, but that's True Art (tm)."

I never once said that they should have less money or no money or anything like that nor was I directly implying this about THIS dev team. I was mostly saying that there are plenty of game budgets that get overblown that don't make a product better just because more money was thrown at it. I was simply trying to say that SOMETIMES smaller budgets create interesting ideas as ways to maximize what budgets they have it can lead to some really creative choices.

I also have said multiple times that I have no issue with the dev team taking an EGS payout and that of course, they should put their lively hoods first as they have no solid commitments to any existing customers.

If you think EPIC is being altruistic towards developers why do they only work with teams that will leave steam or drop steam?

Again this team is smart for getting the money while the offers are being made and I was wishing them the best until they started talking down to people with concerns and them stating over and over how they don't NEED customers anymore and fuck anyone that does not agree with them.

The Dev team if you read the discord comments don't seem too concerned (anymore at least) if the game even sells now they have the bailout, and to me that attitude really sucks.

I (and others) are allowed to not like EGS pretending this is for the common good of all gamers when they only pick and choose existing "hot" indy and AAA titles for the store and tell other teams too bad. That is on top of all the issues the EGS store has itself.

How do you know they are hemorrhaging money? they have an exclusive deal with Microsoft currently I assume that would be a pretty big deal in itself.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
You have no read through the thread, then. There are for more posts from people saying they will not support this game or developer of this craziness than there are those discovering the game and saying they will buy it.

Now, you can call all of these posters liars, but nothing in this thread indicates that they're going to see more sales as a result of drumming up this controversy.
Yeah, but given how much this forum talked about Ooblets before this, I'd argue this forum didn't represent the target audience to begin with. The types of people into these sorts of games will play them regardless of platform or exclusivity. It's coming to xbox too, so the PC niche is really the ones complaining.

Of course sales are all speculative now and whether this publicity hurts or helps doesn't really even matter because they have the money and can live their life without that added stress of wondering if the lights will go out.

EDIT:

LOL, just search thread topics on this forum with Ooblets. There's the trailer thread and this one. The 2018 trailer thread has 20 replies.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. After reading more of this, they can fuck off. I'm tired of the "poor little indie dev card" frankly.
And no, when you're featured at Microsoft's E3, you're not a "poor little indie".

I can understand making deals like this. Heck, I'm not mad in those cases because I can see it being justified. I'll just buy your game a year later.

Here though ? They're litterally being the entitled people they're complaining about. First, we're not getting any ETA on a release date elsewhere. Second, they're acting like "if you don't buy Ooblet for that reason, you're an entitled prick". Uh, sorry, is your fuckin game a product of first necessity ? Is Ooblet contributing to a cause or to the world ? No. It's a fuckin video game. A fucking glorified toy. If I don't want to buy it because I just dont like the font or because the cover art displease me, over a launcher or because the service it releases on sucks and make the PC market worse, that's my right. I'm not entitled to your game, it's true. And you're not entitled to my money.

If customers smell so bad, get another job. You're no artist. You're no starving charity or whatsoever. You're an entitled dev living in a 1st world country. If it's about "getting the lights on", why would I care ? You're a fuckin business. There's a million of businesses struggling outside of video games. Gaming isn't some special bubbles where I should shed a tear for you. As you said it yourself: "There are worse things to worry in the world". I have worse things to worry in the world than a few people making a entertainment product in a 1st world country.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, but given how much this forum talked about Ooblets before this, I'd argue this forum didn't represent the target audience to begin with. The types of people into these sorts of games will play them regardless of platform or exclusivity. It's coming to xbox too, so the PC niche is really the ones complaining.

Of course sales are all speculative now and whether this publicity hurts or helps doesn't really even matter because they have the money and can live their life without that added stress of wondering if the lights will go out.

EDIT:

LOL, just search thread topics on this forum with Ooblets. There's the trailer thread and this one. The 2018 trailer thread has 20 replies.

This has not been about the game itself for many many pages at this point. You might not care how the team decided to engage with people or maybe you think their attitude is great and now they have the potentially thousands and thousands of dollars so they are allowed to cast shade on anyone that disagrees if that's your POV that's fine.

I think it's fair that people can feel the opposite though.

Good for them getting paid! they don't have to talk down to customers or people though?

They are straight-up saying they don't need patrons or customers...

If Kamiya made this same blog post y'all would be asking for a bottle of his cum tbh

Speak for yourself. I'm a massive platinum fan and I would be devastated if this is how they went about things.

May 26, 2018

It was the excitement beforehand that got them paid, though, not the bad press. The bad press came after the deal. Positive feelings brought them money.

I'd say it might've brought them money regardless of the EGS deal, but no way to know how out of cash they truly were. But. But. I would've sent them money if I knew they were in dire straits. If they told their fans I know they would've found a lot of support. Shit, I didn't even know they had a patreon tbh. I wish I had. I would've done a lot to see this game made.

Now I'm kinda glad I didn't give them anything. Weird double edged sword.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
This has not been about the game itself for many many pages at this point. You might not care how the team decided to engage with people or maybe you think their attitude is great and now they have the potentially thousands and thousands of dollars so they are allowed to cast shade on anyone that disagrees if that's your POV that's fine.

I think it's fair that people can feel the opposite though.

Good for them getting paid! they don't have to talk down to customers or people though?

They are straight-up saying they don't need patrons or customers...
They literally don't now, though. Facts are facts.
It was the excitement beforehand that got them paid, though, not the bad press. The bad press came after the deal. Positive feelings brought them money.

I'd say it might've brought them money regardless of the EGS deal, but no way to know how out of cash they truly were. But. But. I would've sent them money if I knew they were in dire straits. If they told their fans I know they would've found a lot of support. Shit, I didn't even know they had a patreon tbh. I wish I had. I would've done a lot to see this game made.

Now I'm kinda glad I didn't give them anything. Weird double edged sword.
I mean, they JUST got dropped by their publisher Double Fine after they got bought by MS. Again, I'm sure that partnership ending set them up for REALLY wanting some sort of security in that they could finish the game they put years and years of their life into. They also JUST moved to the Seattle area, so...

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
It's not even for sale yet, so that's just speculation on your part.

Edit: Not to mention, most of the attention they're getting here is because of the Epic deal itself. If they acted like jerks 3 days ago (i.e. without the Epic deal) this wouldn't have had any attention at all.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is so incredibly untrue, even demonstrated by just how many people already had it on their wishlist in this thread.

A sizable portion of this forum loves stuff like Stardew Valley and Harvest Moon, and even more love cutesy monster sims like Pokémon. It's absolutely a game that would normally be right up a lot of people's alleys.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
This is so incredibly untrue, even demonstrated by just how many people already had it on their wishlist in this thread.

A sizable portion of this forum loves stuff like Stardew Valley and Harvest Moon, and even more love cutesy monster sims like Pokémon. It's absolutely a game that would normally be right up a lot of people's alleys.
Again, look at the only other thread with Ooblets in the title on this forum. Only 20 posts. fucking 20.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, look at the only other thread with Ooblets in the title on this forum. Only 20 posts. fucking 20.

I was addressing your argument that this forum didn't represent the target niche to begin with, not that a lot of people didn't know about it. I think a lot of people around here would have been all over it had it come out and been good. That may still hold true, honestly.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more concerned about how other devs and journalists reacts to the uneccessary mess these devs created, and has continued to fuel since, rather then the devs and game themselves. It's very easy to just dismiss them and their game, if they say they don't actually need you as a customer. But if other devs and journalists only see one side of the coin, a poor poor indie dev team being piled upon, without any accountability for their own actions in it, that will definitely set back the tone of the discussion regarding the EGS debate even further.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
"Any publications is a good publication" doesn't apply here where there are tons of neutral bystanders who have no problem with EGS/playing on console express their disgust toward the PR. Have some root in reality with that highly fallible mantra.