• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Just because you can do those things doesn't mean a monopoly doesn't exist. There are plenty of barriers that make options other than Steam not feasible (costs and customer loyalty). A single game does not makeup a market. Exclusivity is not a monopoly.
Steam isn't even a defacto monopoly. People really need to abandon this line of reasoning if they want to look like they understand the issue.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
This fallout is all pretty sad, because the woman working on the game who showed it off to me long ago seemed like a really cool and passionate indie dev. I don't believe she's the one throwing fuel on the fire on discord, and the whole snarky attitude with how the company has defended the choice seems opposed to the overall nature of the game itself. Get some PR help stat.

Yeah, Ben is like "don't worry, i got this all under control. TRUST me, I'm an expert"

She comes back one hour later and

giphy.gif

can totally picture this.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Was wondering why this thread was so large and I started catching up and

Nooooo! Dig up. Dig up!
Some more (the last one isn't so much the condecending stuff and so on, just more info about the dev's view on this I guess):

RalOSV2.png

Seems like the payout was good for them
I'm late?

5LZd18A.png

Seriously, this guy know nothing about business and such aside the fact that he talks from a pedestals

Deleted member 30526

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Was wondering why this thread was so large and I started catching up and

Nooooo! Dig up. Dig up!
Seriously, this guy is... just an asshole. He and his partner don't deserve threats, and some of the complaints are completely overboard, but man. The echo chamber you must live in to think talking to people this way is okay is absolutely foreign to me.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Of course :) Look, I'd love to keep this thrilling conversation going but there's actually work to be done around here, and I also can just not think about EGS is gonna ruin my life, because is not gonna, you should do the same. Have a great day.

Before I leave (and prolly to get a warning or banned, lol) I still don't get this point of about EGS not having local prices and screwing you with the final price in other places of the world but, let's face it, gaming is an expensive hobby. Yeah, you get cheap indie games all the time, but every AAA new release is 60 bucks at least and you are probably watching this site on an expensive phone or PC, and playing on a 400 bucks console. To cry about games being expensive after willingly spending all that money on the devices to play them sounds like hypocrisy to me. Cheers.

it's expensive. Don't you DARE criticize anything, or you are a hypocrite!

fuckin clueless. And also very uncaring. But it does make me smile to know, one day, you'll be sacked/fired for the shit attitude you exude.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These developers are absolutely amazing. Imagine having that much disdain for your potential (and actual) audience.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Steam was also pretty bad when it launched in 2003"

ok, i guess give me a call in 2035 then

like im honestly not understanding how this is relevant, its an argument against steam in 2003, not an argument for EGS in 2019

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
This dudes comments are gross. This game is a no buy from me now. Regardless of platform. What a nasty way to respond to people. "We got paid, so now I can treat you all like shit like I always wanted to."

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Don't get me wrong, I like "art" games. But the fact that this started as a "graphics before anything else" concept and then all we got were stupid gifs of characters dancing for over a year makes them accepting a shitload of money combined with the attitude fuckin ridiculous. And of course, blue and purple-haired hipsters are rushing to their defense.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I want to know this: How many of the devs that made a deal with Epic were actually in danger of losing their house or paying their loan?

If you're an indie dev, you generally don't get any money until your game releases. If your game takes longer to make than you planned (and game devs are notoriously bad at planning on how long it'll take), you run out of money & you could be in serious trouble.

They're a big success now, but back when they were developing Shovel Knight, there was about 5 months towards the end where they were broke and relying on friends & family to survive. That kind of thinking is not uncommon - "Just gotta finish this game and then all the time & debt that we spent to make it will be taken care of." And if the game doesn't succeed like you thought it would, you can be in serious trouble.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
It was really bad when it was first rolled out, to the point where people wanted to stick to the WON network for leagues (at least in the TFC community) until we were all forced to the new platform.

What is the argument? Is it in defense of the EGS platform being "terrible"?
I remember WON

That service was the first time I got called a nigger online.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This guys attitude is really bad. He needs to stop engaging and let pr take over. I know the feeling when your at the peak of an argument though and you just cant let the other person think that "they won". I've certainly done it here before.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone else could get away with something as utterly idiotic as Nintendo's online strategy
The Switch is pretty threadbare in terms of features, yet when it gets an exclusive there's nobody demanding an audit of the developers' bank account to prove they were near-bankrupt and needed the money.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I like "art" games. But the fact that this started as a "graphics before anything else" concept and then all we got were stupid gifs of characters dancing for over a year makes them accepting a shitload of money combined with the attitude fuckin ridiculous. And of course, blue and purple-haired hipsters are rushing to their defense.

what is wrong with you

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Has this dude come out and apologized? Don't feel bad for him but I do feel bad for his partner having to deal with a mess he created

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This guys attitude is really bad. He needs to stop engaging and let pr take over. I know the feeling when your at the peak of an argument though and you just cant let the other person think that "they won". I've certainly done it here before.

Yeah, it's so easy to just keeping going when you "know" you're right and people on the other side are sending hatred your way. As someone who has said stuff online that has gotten me in trouble, the best thing to do is accept your PR blunder, stop talking, and let things blow over. And then watch your words much more carefully in the future.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they would just go silent for like a week this would all disappear and be immediately forgotten. Though I am having a good laugh at this guy's ridiculous heel turn. Baby-gamers!

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Wow at those dev responses -ranging from hilariously stupid to just plain insulting. At this point they must have managed to alienate a huge percentage of their potential customers but it doesn't matter coz they now have epic money. I can't get over how fucked up that is.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Wow at those dev responses -ranging from hilariously stupid to just plain insulting. At this point they must have managed to alienate a huge percentage of their potential customers but it doesn't matter coz they now have epic money. I can't get over how fucked up that is.
Oh, I so wanna be there for their next game's announcement.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I do feel bad for his partner having to deal with a mess he created

Here are her last few tweets:

Some super exciting stuff for Ooblets that I really hope you can all be excited about too!
Be sweet and lovely, oobs!!
+ link to the EGS deal

My mocap flossing is the best flossing

Welp I'm gonna need a LOT of tylenol and coffee for the next few days.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
Yeah, it's so easy to just keeping going when you "know" you're right and people on the other side are sending hatred your way. As someone who has said stuff online that has gotten me in trouble, the best thing to do is accept your PR blunder, stop talking, and let things blow over. And then watch your words much more carefully in the future.

You know, if the guy honestly made a post explaining the stress he's been under and apologizing for his words being taken the wrong way, I'd probably give him some slack. But he's doubling down on this, and the one thing I absolutely cannot stand is hubris. Humility goes a LONG way for me (and I'm sure for a lot of other people).

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Jesus christ this thread fucking exploded since I first saw this posted. I'm going to have to take a look on what the hell caused this.
Ooblets was on my radar for a while and while it was known within the circle of people interested in these kinds of games I didn't think it'd ever garner this much attention.
If they are living on the edge like the initial blogpost said I really can't fault them for taking the EGS limited exclusivity deal. You tend to work a lot better when you aren't literally stressed about where your next meal or paycheck is coming from. But clearly something happened along the way for folks to say 'screw you' to the devs.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Has this dude come out and apologized? Don't feel bad for him but I do feel bad for his partner having to deal with a mess he created
She has been active too. Not saying the same stuff but not stopped it either. Since she is his wife she could most likely have talked to him eye to eye if she didn't agree with his tactics. I don't believe she's just some poor bystander in this.

Oct 26, 2017
You know, if the guy honestly made a post explaining the stress he's been under and apologizing for his words being taken the wrong way, I'd probably give him some slack. But he's doubling down on this, and the one thing I absolutely cannot stand is hubris. Humility goes a LONG way for me (and I'm sure for a lot of other people).

At this point I dunno if that would even help, he should have done that right after the blog post.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Given the last thread on ooblets (the only one) had only 20 replies in it, I don't think this will actually do them any harm

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Jesus christ this thread fucking exploded since I first saw this posted. I'm going to have to take a look on what the hell caused this.
Ooblets was on my radar for a while and while it was known within the circle of people interested in these kinds of games I didn't think it'd ever garner this much attention.
If they are living on the edge like the initial blogpost said I really can't fault them for taking the EGS limited exclusivity deal. You tend to work a lot better when you aren't literally stressed about where your next meal or paycheck is coming from. But clearly something happened along the way for folks to say 'screw you' to the devs.
Post 2,295 and 2,300 have some of the stuff you are looking for.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I think you'll find the majority of screenshots posted here and here

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Checked out the Ooblet discord chat and the most recent text I've seen from the dev in question was a few minutes ago where he said "let's try to limit the personal attacks on all sides so we can maybe start trying to find some common ground here"

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Compare the reaction of Untitled Goose Game (another EGS exclusive) to this. There's a world of difference. This isn't the right attitude.
Oh yeah, I've actually been following this thread (just mostly lurking with a few posts here and there) since it had only 1 page lol. I really didn't mean to sound like I thought that people complaining were being just whiny and petulant. Moreso that I just don't think the analogy worked very well in this case, since the customer is always right kind of mentality is probably what eggs on some of the people who really are just trying to be as angry as possible and sending threats and whatever. Since I'm 100% guessing they've been that angry and petulant customer irl and it has worked for them. That is definitely not to say that everyone who is criticizing this is that type of person (that would be hypocritical of me anyway, since I've been critical in this thread myself lol).

I actually don't see anything wrong with this. Did you happen to peek in there at all? It was flooded with tons of shitposts like "fuck you guys I'm not buying this game." They left up the original post with all the reactions to the blog post.

Separately from either of these quotes, I just want people to not lump Rebecca in with this. She has made some comments that are somewhat ignorant of the situation (like the shopping cart comment), but she hasn't been outright insulting to anyone. In fact, most of the comments I've seen her make have been "we don't agree, but that's fine!" type comments. I'm sure this is hard for her as well, since they are literally a two-person team so it's not like she can just fire him or something.

Also I'd like to address the Malaysian father screenshot that's going around, since they have clarified that it was poorly-timed cross talk. Here is Rebecca actually replying to that user:

COGRmWf.png

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Given the last thread on ooblets (the only one) had only 20 replies in it, I don't think this will actually do them any harm

I don't think this was going to be the next stardew, but the negative PR/arrogance is definitely not going to help for this project and people will definitely remember if they go on to make another game

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I don't blame indie devs for choosing security over risk, but the tone these people are reacting to their consumer base with is absolutely crazy to me

just defies basic business practice

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

I would put money on it that 9 out of 10 people saying "Screw You" to the devs weren't going ot buy or didn't even know about the game until this announcement.

Oct 25, 2017
No small indie team is going to be hated on by reasonable people for taking an Epic deal. The devs in question simply trading exclusivity for immediate financial security is not why this thread is blowing up.

The Devs response is certainly a large part of why this thread is over 2,300 posts and I want to be clear that I am not defending the way that they are communicating this. But there are definitely a portion of people, even in this thread, that are taking a stance against any and all games that are on the EGS store.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're an indie dev, you generally don't get any money until your game releases. If your game takes longer to make than you planned (and game devs are notoriously bad at planning on how long it'll take), you run out of money & you could be in serious trouble.

They're a big success now, but back when they were developing Shovel Knight, there was about 5 months towards the end where they were broke and relying on friends & family to survive. That kind of thinking is not uncommon - "Just gotta finish this game and then all the time & debt that we spent to make it will be taken care of." And if the game doesn't succeed like you thought it would, you can be in serious trouble.
Appreciate the insight.

I would put money on it that 9 out of 10 people saying "Screw You" to the devs weren't going ot buy or didn't even know about the game until this announcement.
I think you would be losing money but again who knows.

The Devs response is certainly a large part of why this thread is over 2,300 posts and I want to be clear that I am not defending the way that they are communicating this. But there are definitely a portion of people, even in this thread, that are taking a stance against any and all games that are on the EGS store.
I certainly will not buy any games on the EGS store and I even said so much in this thread but again I never decided if I won't buy the exclusive games once they come to steam or gog but the attitude in that blog post really soured me on this dev.

May 26, 2018
Some more (the last one isn't so much the condecending stuff and so on, just more info about the dev's view on this I guess):
Oh yeah, I've actually been following this thread (just mostly lurking with a few posts here and there) since it had only 1 page lol. I really didn't mean to sound like I thought that people complaining were being just whiny and petulant. Moreso that I just don't think the analogy worked very well in this case, since the customer is always right kind of mentality is probably what eggs on some of the people who really are just trying to be as angry as possible and sending threats and whatever. Since I'm 100% guessing they've been that angry and petulant customer irl and it has worked for them. That is definitely not to say that everyone who is criticizing this is that type of person (that would be hypocritical of me anyway, since I've been critical in this thread myself lol).

I actually don't see anything wrong with this. Did you happen to peek in there at all? It was flooded with tons of shitposts like "fuck you guys I'm not buying this game." They left up the original post with all the reactions to the blog post.

Separately from either of these quotes, I just want people to not lump Rebecca in with this. She has made some comments that are somewhat ignorant of the situation (like the shopping cart comment), but she hasn't been outright insulting to anyone. In fact, most of the comments I've seen her make have been "we don't agree, but that's fine!" type comments. I'm sure this is hard for her as well, since they are literally a two-person team so it's not like she can just fire him or something.

Also I'd like to address the Malaysian father screenshot that's going around, since they have clarified that it was poorly-timed cross talk. Here is Rebecca actually replying to that user:

COGRmWf.png

Well that's good to read. Still only one down in a big list of WTF though, sadly.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Please stop claiming people in general didn't know about the game. It's been promoted at E3 by Microsoft and at the PC Gaming Show and by Double Fine during a time when they were the pubs. Their Twitter following is massive and so is the Patreon. It is the 100th most wishlisted game on Steam.

And Epic bought exclusivity so that means they look at it as a heavy hitter. They don't grab the stuff no one knows about.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

I agree, I'm sensing most of the problem lies with one person specifically, and shes in a tough situation where she has to be supportive of her partners actions. Even when the guy clearly has zero nuance on how to do it. Way to fuck it up.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's good to read. Still only one down in a big list of WTF though, sadly.
Yeah, but it does make me feel slightly better because that was the worst out of all of them in my opinion. The others can more or less be down to poor reactions when you're getting absolutely inundated with so much ire (regardless of the fact that there were loads of constructive criticism, their discord was unfortunately just mobbed). I've seen in their discord that they're working on a FAQ and I'm really hoping that it will address some of this.

Like I've said before, I've been following this game since at least 2017 and I've really been looking forward to it. So I am biased in their favour. But also, nothing they've done before has ever really been on this level, so I do feel like the original post was perhaps meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but written by someone who truly does not understand the situation surrounding EGS and has only really heard about it from other developer friends or others in the industry. I guess I'm just trying to be as optimistic as possible because I don't want to see a two-person team fail, especially when 1/2 of the team hasn't done anything to deserve people boycotting her.

But I also DO want to say that it doesn't really excuse going ham, but he has at least said that he "thought it was obvious" that he didn't mean people who play games in general, just GAMERS TM. But it wasn't explained well and more or less fumbled from the start. They should have just gone with the verbiage in Rebecca's email and left it at that instead of trying to be funny and actually just coming across as condescending at best and pushing customers away at worst.