• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Liberal commentator Bill Maher on Friday night went after the international movement to boycott Israel, calling it a "bullshit purity test" for Democrats after the Israeli government said it would deny entry to two U.S. congresswomen because of their support for the boycotts.

Maher drew applause in studio on his HBO show after declaring the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement supported by some congressional Democrats "a bullshit purity test by people who want to appear woke but actually slept through history class."

"It's predicated on this notion, I think - it's very shallow thinking - that the Jews in Israel, mostly white, and the Palestinians are browner, so they must be innocent and correct, and the Jews must be wrong. As if the occupation came right out of the blue, that this completely peaceful people found themselves occupied," he said.

Maher on Friday night pointed to scrutiny over past comments from Omar, suggesting the decision by the Israeli government to not welcome them into the country made sense.

"Congresswoman Omar has said things like, 'It's all about the Benjamins,' 'Israel has hypnotized the world,' 'May Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel,' " Maher noted.

"She apologized for it, but it's out there: Jews control the world, control the money," he said, adding of the lawmakers: "I can see why they don't get a hero's welcome."

Ooops!!!!

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe I used to watch him regularly (Milos was the last straw for me). Now let's see his defenders come in force in this thread.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It's predicated on this notion, I think - it's very shallow thinking - that the Jews in Israel, mostly white, and the Palestinians are browner, so they must be innocent and correct, and the Jews must be wrong "

Really says it all, like that's some shit I'd expect Shapiro to say as a way to push racism onto his followers.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
He said they don't want her there because of the criticisms she's thrown at them and she can't hide from it. I don't watch his show but he's making a simple point of, "They heard you said mean things and don't like it". I don't get it. Seems like outrage culture as usual to me.

Edit: ooooooh now I get it lol. Okay, that's fucked up but he's Jewish so maybe he thinks in his head he gets a "pass"?

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just had this on eating and this take almost struck me dead and I faded into the wall it was so bad. I feel there's a whole college course worth of material to deconstruct it's so wrong on every possible level.

BannerThief

Apr 10, 2019
Seattle
I've actually had interesting talks with a left-wing online friend currently living in Israel. His view is that the BDS movement is a movement that is almost exclusively strangling the Israeli progressive movements, since they're the ones with most of the economic and cultural cachet, and that by supporting BDS, one is playing right into the hands of the Israeli right, who loves the aggrievement, and relish the belt tightening this causes among their rivals.

Not sure how I feel, personally, but it's an interesting perspective I haven't thought of. And for the record, this distant friend is very staunchly left and is appalled by Bibi, so he's not trying to sneak pro-right talking points into his views.

Last edited:

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does he even believe any of this shit, or is he just in Alex Jones land where all this noise is about maintaining attention?

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
As if the occupation came right out of the blue, that this completely peaceful people found themselves occupied," he said.

Honestly, the title buries the lead that he blames the Palestinians for the atrocities committed against them.

Maher has always been an asshole. Positioning himself on the liberal side of the spectrum never hid it.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maher is barely a liberal in most of his policy positions. Put him on the stump about anything related to Israel, the Middle East, or Islam in general and he's so far to the right your neck will start to hurt.

He's very much an "old white moderate" Democrat.

Oct 26, 2017
Does he even believe any of this shit, or is he just in Alex Jones land where all this noise is about maintaining attention?
What Bill Maher thinks of himself in a nutshell:

_5S3eP.gif

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Bill Maher's always been trash. The posterchild for the Ivory Tower liberal movement.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I stopped watching him a long time ago.

He's always been trash, and extra trash when it comes to Israel, Muslims, Food, Animals, and Health (homeopathic bullshit).

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
He's a privileged elitist that doesn't really have to worry about any of this shit. He continually has garbage on his show and goes out of his way to undermine actual progressive politics and ideals. Fuck Maher and his slimey rich idiot hubris.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when Bill Maher was considered one of the most left leaning personalities out there. Turns out the recent movement leftward of the American Left reveals just how much of a fuck with he is.

- Being very against significant higher taxation. Even outright saying "liberals you can no longer have me. I pay WAY too much as is!"

- Racist as shit toward Arabs and Muslims. Too many examples to list.

- Shown to be no more educated than any other non-Trump supporting white male in regards to race. Even said that culture appropriation was bullshit and used the example of how Led Zepplin playing blues music was just people whining (e.g. the poster example of cultural appropriation).

- Does all of the above while complaining about the "Snowflake Generation."

- Just has very shitty centrist political views both socially and especially economically.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I like Bill Maher.

I find it amusing that both the right and the left hate him. He's right that BDS is a bullshit purity test.

And before I get dogpiled I'll say for the record that I support the two state solution.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Was Bill Maher ever liberal? The way he acts nowadays is just stock angry conservative trash.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
This guy is gonna go full right wing in a few years. Then again, he might always have been.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Wow.

Also, in other news: Bill Maher says controversially offensive shit to keep his media presence.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I have idea how this dude is able to book guests. He says something ridiculous weekly, at least, and says something horrifying about once a month.

I don't think HBO should can him or anything because it would only feed his ego/brand. But, yo, politicians and journalists and authors and everybody else: say no when they ask you to be on the show.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bill Maher is no different than Sam Harris or Jordan Peterson. Another privileged white man, who gets more credibility than deserved, leading edgy shit birds to ally with the fascists.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Dude should have been run off of HBO when he had the nerve to give Milo a platform and proceed to shoot the shit with him like old buddies

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I watched this episode and I wish Killer Mike's topic about red flag gun laws disproportionately affecting black gun owners more than white more interesting than any of the other topics. No one seemed to want to engage with that conversation past Mike saying his piece though.

Edit: On-Topic: He's always been inflammatory about that part of the world, so I can't be surprised about him staying consistent in that regard. I think it's valid to criticize Israel while still acknowledging that the countries around them consider them an illegitimate country.

Last edited:

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I like Bill Maher.

I find it amusing that both the right and the left hate him. He's right that BDS is a bullshit purity test.

And before I get dogpiled I'll say for the record that I support the two state solution.

If you're for the two state solution, wouldn't you agree applying some pressure to Israel through BDS helps to bring that about in a fair way?

Oct 25, 2017
As if the occupation came right out of the blue, that this completely peaceful people found themselves occupied

Yeah he is right , are you all forgetting how the palestinians started WW2 and were commiting genocide in concentration camps all over the Levant? Its obvious that they had it coming. Where should have Israel been created instead? somewhere unrelated to the holocaust like europe?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Its insane when people blame the people being occupied.

I am open to discussing a lot of things, but somethings are just too far out there.

I put this up there with climate change for me.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I used to like Maher, I think he can make some funny jokes, but he's definitely been defending a lot of really crazy shit lately.

Just last week

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually had interesting talks with a left-wing online friend currently living in Israel. His view is that the BDS movement is a movement that is almost exclusively strangling the Israeli progressive movements, since they're the ones with most of the economic and cultural cachet, and that by supporting BDS, one is playing right into the hands of the Israeli right, who loves the aggrievement, and relish the belt tightening this causes among their rivals.

Not sure how I feel, personally, but it's an interesting perspective I haven't thought of. And for the record, this distant friend is very staunchly left and is appalled by Bibi, so he's not trying to sneak pro-right talking points into his views.

Everyone seems to hate him, but he keeps getting reelected.

I guess that's just one of life's great mysteries.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Not too long ago Maher's image around here was viewed quite positively. Nothing about him has changed. He's always been a racist bigot. What it does indicate is how the narrative is changing.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This guy has always been trash and I have been saying it for years. Fuck this guy and anybody who defends him.

KTC

Dec 7, 2017
UK
Maher drew applause in studio

He could literally spout a Trump speech verbatim and they would clap for him.

I was always on the fence with Maher but the whole Milo fiasco that resulted in him using the N word and what he said about Stan Lee really pushed me into the "fuck Bill Maher" camp big time.

For a guy who claims to be liberal, he really doesn't like liberals. He's like the living embodiment of Will McAvoy but with no redeeming features.