• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
You always felt? Really?

ggg5rjzg.jpg

Lmaooooooooooo

Oct 25, 2017
Theres no way reviewers are gonna give this game lower than an 8. NVC and Game Informer podcasts have been sweeping it and going 'omg new pokemon!" for months now

There's going to be plenty of reviews below 8. Of the game is going to land in the mid-80s overall and has like 100 reviews, there's going to be around a dozen or so lower than 8/10.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I always wondered if the too much water thing was because of embargoes on ORAS reviews. The reviewer wouldn't have been able to talk about being disappointed with no Battle Frontier for example.

Nov 15, 2018
Only thing left for Gamefreak now is to release HOME and discontinue Bank so everyone with old pokemon is basically forced to subscribe to the new service or lose everything. Then they keep you subscribed unless you buy the game and transfer it all to the new game.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the attacks on Serebii in this thread are ridiculous. Y'all are really taking your anger out on a guy who runs a fan site because he argued against spreading assumptions as fact.

Nov 15, 2018
Yeah no one really knew just how many would be cut. I was hoping there would be 500--600 in at least, then there was that fake 632 leak. Then it just went down to 400. And that's less than what XY had with its 450 while XY seemed like a much bigger task getting all 720 pokemon from 2d sprites to "Future Proof" 3d models.

Only thing this game has to show for the huge dex loss is the wild area, but then that was at the expense of
more than half the routes apparently.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Some of the attacks on Serebii in this thread are ridiculous. Y'all are really taking your anger out on a guy who runs a fan site because he argued against spreading assumptions as fact.
Got to prove the fandom isn't toxic... by being toxic. There's no reason to attack Serebii, but it seems he a focal point for some reason.

Last edited:

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
687474703a2f2f696d616765732e77696b69612e636f6d2f756c747261647261676f6e62616c6c2f696d616765732f632f63612f53534a325f476f68616e27735f536f72726f775f6f665f476f6b7527735f44656174682e706e67

d470ral-6ae3e1ea-c6fb-4c9a-b470-145f74c2485f.gif

Fuck this shit. That one hurts me.

You expect TWO sheep species in Galar!? Nope!
I've heard they came for its wig first.

Went down fighting, like a hero.

Could you stop quoting whats clearly someone who was trolling me. I shouldn't have to deal with people ive already blocked in retrospect.

Considering how much shit you stir on purpose, you're one to talk.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Why is it so hard for some of you to stop attacking other posters jesus christ. You can be upset at the cuts without getting mad at other posters for no reason.

That person has attacked other numerous people for being critical of Pokemon, so that is total nonsense.

I am not atracking anyone for being happy

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I like how Joe is consistently being shit on for telling people in the pokemon community to stop being so toxic.

It's like poetry.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
I'm still shocked at the Incineroar and Greninja lines exclusion. They were such an enormous part of their respective gens.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
Man, this whole situation sucks. I really like a lot of the new Pokémon designs, but the lack of post game and Dexit have really crushed my hype. Pokémon hype for new games has been some of the most fun I've had when it comes to gaming, but ever since that E3 announcement, it's been completely shot.

I recently got my wife into Pokémon and she fell so in love with Purugly that I even had a plush of it made for her. She was really looking forward to eventually bringing over my shiny Purugly I caught in Pearl to Shield. Now it'll just be rotting in Bank until the next games 'might' allow it.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I really wish people wouldn't attack other users about this shit. I'm not happy about the dex cut, but I don't see what part of this is doing anything but proving peoples' point about people being toxic. I really wish I could have this opinion without being lumped in with that shit, but y'know, whatever.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Man, this whole situation sucks. I really like a lot of the new Pokémon designs, but the lack of post game and Dexit have really crushed my hype. Pokémon hype for new games has been some of the most fun I've had when it comes to gaming, but ever since that E3 announcement, it's been completely shot.

I recently got my wife into Pokémon and she fell so in love with Purugly that I even had a plush of it made for her. She was really looking forward to eventually bringing over my shiny Purugly I caught in Pearl to Shield. Now it'll just be rotting in Bank until the next games 'might' allow it.

Can I stop you for a second to tell you you have an awesome Avatar?

Yamadron rules.

But yeah, everything you said, I agree with.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Liaten. I sincerly apologize to anyone i may have annoyed/peeved. Pokemon is more near and dear to me than almost anything. While I'm not happy about this and I do not like being told that i can't be critical, but that does not mean it's rght to go and start drama and all of that.

This situation sucks hard and I feel genuine sadness for people on both sides of this.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One of the most disappointing things is this happening with the first mainline 'core' game on an HD console, after being told to wait after Let's Go's limited roster.

At first I didn't really mind because I never intended to transfer Pokemon from past games, but after mulling it over and seeing how many Pokemon are missing, it becomes less an issue of being able to bring over legacy Pokemon and more so just having less options when choosing from old favorites (or new ones such as those from Alola!).

My ultimate belief is that I really wouldn't mind at all if this were just the case for these set of games, but since they have declared this as their approach going forward, it will continue to cast a shadow over the quality of these games.I don't consider any of the mainline games ' bad', and I've already made my decision to purchase Shield (I rarely buy full-priced games anyway and I would rather play my next Pokemon on the Switch).

The rest of the game being of great or excellent quality feels like an irrelevant point to bring up as a response to people's disappointment over this. Many Zelda fans frequently brought up BotW's 4 Divine Beasts as a criticism when compared to the larger dungeon count of previous games, despite many agreeing that the rest of that game more than made up for it. The point is that people's priorities of what makes a game worse or better is subjective, and whether that's a reduced dungeon or Pokemon count, none of these points are invalid.

My final, final thought is that with this reduced roster, the absence of following and riding Pokemon (as I will continue to bring up) is even more baffling and still sorely missed, especially in a game that highlights wide open areas with overworld Pokemon, and with those features being in Let's Go.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Moving past the personal attacks/bickering, I really am curious what kind of shitstorm the datamine will have. Like if they really are the 3DS models, why lie about it to consumers? If they really had to be remade from the ground up, I truly feel sorry for the small staff at Creatures Inc with whomever couldn't get the models working for Switch hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
Moving past the personal attacks/bickering, I really am curious what kind of shitstorm the datamine will have. Like if they really are the 3DS models, why lie about it to consumers? If they really had to be remade from the ground up, I truly feel sorry for the small staff at Creatures Inc with whomever couldn't get the models working for Switch hardware.
Blame would sit on the shoulders of GameFreak, not Creatures.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

There's 3 scenarios were the datamine can start an even bigger shitstorm

1. The models are indeed the 3DS models with a coat of paint, as we all suspect.
2. The actual missing Pokemon are in the game files in some capacity, like low res models or something
3. Any sort of monetization plans for having the National Dex or Home related is found

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Blame would sit on the shoulders of GameFreak, not Creatures.
That's what I meant, whomever at Gamefreak couldn't get them to work. I need to sleep soon gah.

1. The models are indeed the 3DS models, as we all suspect.
2. The actual missing Pokemon are in the game files in some capacity, like low res models or something
3. Any sort of monetization plans for having the National Dex or Home related is found
I can't imagine them having monetization plans for the National Dex honestly. I feel they will just expect you to play with your favorites in the next title. And if you want past favorites, to buy SwSh.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm not sure why this would cause a bigger shitstorm when it was obvious since the first trailer.

We've seen posters adamantly defend that these models were built from scratch as a justification for not having all the pokemon. Mostly because of a mistranslation from the Pokemon team IIRC.

Same as the "Pixar quality" new model animations of untold expressiveness that totally make up for the cuts, that are nowhere to be seen.

uve21pdhxijwcfixbxbm.gif

I really don't expect to find any of those in the datamine

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

1. The models are indeed the 3DS models with a coat of paint, as we all suspect.
It's one. We all know it's one. And when it turns out to be one look forward to all the people insisting you were wrong for saying it was one to say everyone already knew it was one, why is it a big deal?

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
Can I stop you for a second to tell you you have an awesome Avatar?

Yamadron rules.

But yeah, everything you said, I agree with.
Haha, thanks. It was the inspiration for my universal gaming username after I got I from a McDonald's Happy meal like a million years ago. I'd been using GreedLing from FMA for a while, but decided to change it up a little bit ago.

Back on topic though, it's already been proven beyond reasonable doubt that they've just used the 3DS models and added a new texture, right? Didn't Gyarados and Arcanine match up 1/1 when being compared? It'd take a ridiculously larger amount of work to make a new model that's exactly the same as the old one.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why this would cause a bigger shitstorm when it was obvious since the first trailer.

Hoo boy, mostly because some people are adamant that we should believe Gamefreak, that thinking otherwise is akin to being a conspiracy theorist, etc. The model discussions in past threads were unbelievable.

Honestly, pretty much everyone assumed the models in this game were using the same meshes with upgraded textures until I think Ohmori(?) said they were made 'from scratch', which even game developers on this forum expressed doubt about (the speculation was that there were difficulties bringing over the models from the 3DS, which doesn't really indicate that they were remodeled but rather readjusted and then retextured). The distinction here is between 'mesh' (the wireframe) and the model as a whole (including wireframe, rigging, textures, etc.)

This isn't even a lazy devs argument. The 3DS models are fantastic! High-poly and well-detailed to the point of causing framerate issues on the 3DS. Most of the animations were great too - the walking and running animations datamined from the 3DS games are the same as those used in the overworld and camping feature. I was looking forward to seeing them in their full glory on the Switch. It remains disappointing that they still didn't fix the idle flying animations from Sky Battles.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Honestly, pretty much everyone assumed the models in this game were using the same meshes with upgraded textures until I think Ohmori(?) said they were made 'from scratch', which even game developers on this forum expressed doubt about (the speculation was that there were difficulties bringing over the models from the 3DS, which doesn't really indicate that they were remodeled but rather readjusted and then retextured). The distinction here is between 'mesh' (the wireframe) and the model as a whole (including wireframe, rigging, textures, etc.)

This isn't even a lazy devs argument. The 3DS models are fantastic! High-poly and well-detailed to the point of causing framerate issues on the 3DS. Most of the animations were great too - the walking and running animations datamined from the 3DS games are the same as those used in the overworld and camping feature. I was looking forward to seeing them in their full glory on the Switch. It remains disappointing that they still didn't fix the idle flying animations from Sky Battles.

Yep, at that moment the "Amount of work needed in remodeling everything from scratch justifies the cuts" narrative was born.

And it's been used to shut down any criticisim towards the cut. IF (because I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt) the models turn out to be just the same, with only the new Pokemon having more complex one, then yeah, fans will be extremely pissed. Because they would think Ohmori lied to our faces.

The Ohmori quote I'm certain was mistranslated and he probably didn't mean they were made from scratch, or maybe he was just referring to the new Pokémon, but emotions are running high and that argument has been used to shut down anyone voicing problems towards the decision, I don't expect anyone to reason, they'll just lash out.

It sucks, but you know it's true