• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
No Cyndaquil? No Jigglypuff? No Abra? Looking at that list, I'm really close to cancelling my preorder.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm done with Pokémon. All of my favorites except for the Eevee line are cut. Like.... Seriously?!

The Gameboy Advance games, almost 2 decades ago had 386. And we are on better hardware, 2 decades of experience, and reusable models. And then the best they can do.. Is 400? I would really, much rather play the older games than this. I was really on the fence about Pokémon. I wanted to give it a huge chance.....

But man. I can't go on like this anymore.

Less than X/Y. Less than Gen 4. Slightly more than fucking Ruby and Sapphire.

It's a fucking joke.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
PIKACHU BIG
pikachu2-720x900.jpg

If we are missing 500ish Pokemon, I really don't see the Sinnoh remakes adding the rest in. Typically within a gen you are able to capture all the Pokemon without crossgen transfers, but I am highly doubting that will be the result by the time Gen VIII wraps up.
I'm guessing Sinnoh will at least fill in all the gaps below 493, but yeah missing gen 5+ pokemon are doomed until at least gen 9.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My singles team I've used since gen 5 has been cut in half (tyranitar, ferrothorn, scizor, rotom-w, gliscor, infernape).

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
RIP to my Zappy Zebra (makes sense, not a whole lot of Zebra running around England)

Sad that Skitty has been left behind. It's my daughters favorite.

Overall though, I'm pretty okay with this. A few of my favorites that I was expecting to get cut made it in.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gen 1: 54
Gen 2: 34
Gen 3: 42
Gen 4: 38
Gen 5: 85
Gen 6: 32
Gen 7: 36

Well at least this should quiet done the Gen 8 is nothing but a Gen 1 fest.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
All of the starters (sans Charmander) and legendaries missing makes it obvious that they'll patch in more Pokemon later or release them as event Pokemon, though. There's no chance they are just going to abandon all of the starters, they are just too popular for that.
Nah it'll probably just be something like
SwSh: Charmander line exclusive
Next game: Squirtle line exclusive
Third game: Bulbasaur line exclusive

"Your favorite pokemon that's been missing is back!" will be part of the marketing of each new game moving forward. This was a pretty obvious conclusion when they talked about how this was the new policy moving forward.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
On one hand I respect that they didn't go the normal route and just do gen 1 and popular Pokemon pandering, but on the other it just feels off putting in Barbaracle before Metagross.

Rest in peace God's forgotten children. May you be given your promised land when Gamefreak decides you're worthy.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
It is not the responsibility of consumers of media to be concerned for the factors of its creation. If it is disappointing to them for any reason, they are entitled to that. Nobody has to come to the defense of GameFreak, they're a big company working on one of the biggest IP in the world. They will be just fine.

The Thanos stuff is very clearly tongue in cheek and if you're incapable of reading the tone of that, then I don't know what merit there is in any continued conversation. Actual perspective in a thread that's not taking itself that seriously is completely unnecessary.

The thread is framed this way because it is a discussion about the disappointment of the cuts. Not about the reality of game development.

It's hard to feel like it's tongue in cheek when people on this forum has defended harassing Game Freak members on social media on their personal accounts, relating to posts that have nothing to do with Pokemon such as congratulations on a marriage or warnings about a tropical storm, devalued any counterarguments as coming from shills, and repeatedly stretched the truth, lied, or misrepresented the facts on top of rejecting the words of experienced game developers (and yes, I know, that hasn't been universally on GF's side, the point is the hubris and acting like these words mean nothing). You can't get the benefit of a doubt when this has been so mired in poor behavior... and yes, I say that as someone who acknowledges that this brought out the worst in me too.

It's not your responsibility to do anything as a consumer, no. That's why I said that people can be disappointed, or consider this a dealbreaker. But when it becomes part of the ongoing discussion, everyone involved has a responsibility to threat it seriously and to consider all the angles. I let this overwhelm me and it brought out the worst in me, and I apologize for that, but it feels like anything goes as long as you're mad at Game Freak.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Nah it'll probably just be something like
SwSh: Charmander line exclusive
Next game: Squirtle line exclusive
Third game: Bulbasaur line exclusive

"Your favorite pokemon that's been missing is back!" will be part of the marketing of each new game moving forward. This was a pretty obvious conclusion when they talked about how this was the new policy moving forward.

Hard to believe this when Charizard has been getting treated way better than the other starters since 2013 lol

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
How many of those other features aren't superfluous and nonessential to the core experience? How many aren't badly designed and/or poorly implemented time sinks that are more trouble than they're worth? The Pokemon fandom has a tendency to cling to things because they exist, not because they're worth keeping or legitimately satisfying parts of the experience.

And even then, no one has ever come up with a valid explanation of how to handle the very significant development concerns that come with implementing the National Dex. Just parroting the idea that it should be easy, or making assumptions and bad faith readings of statements of GF's statements. It's not even a matter of time, because extended development cycles don't necessarily mean there's room to add more content. It's all just been fans playing armchair developer and putting speculation forward like it's fact, to treat GF like a bunch of incompetent villains - even when other game developers have said what GF has said makes sense. This whole thread is a bad-faith argument, meant to invoke negative emotions and anger towards Game Freak, literally comparing them to a freaking comic book supervillain.

It's embarassing. Why can't you people just say "Which Pokemon that got cut are you going to miss"? Why do we need these extremes? Why does the discourse need to be framed this way? No one's saying you can't be disappointed. No one's saying you can't consider this a dealbreaker. But some actual perspective would be nice.

The thanos thing is a meme and the only person in this thread who comes off as emotional and angry is you.

We are not game developers or project managers, it is not our responsibility to come up with how GF can maintain the Pokédex. We don't know their limitations or resources or how they are allocated. We can only judge the final product and give feedback.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
People have done this constantly, with the most common suggestion being give 300-400 Pokemon a make-over each game and reuse old assets for the rest. Atlus does it with MegaTen demons and Gran Turismo does it with cars, it's not exactly a ground-breaking idea.

How many MegaTen demons are there typically in a given game and how involved are they in things like environments and animation-wise?

Nov 8, 2017
It's not just about cutting Pokémon. It's the sheer amount that were cut, which ones were cut, and the explanation for why.

They cut over half of all Pokémon out, left in bullshit ones like Goldeen while leaving out clear favorites, and basically give nothing back in return.

I understand, there can't be a constantly growing roster of upwards of 1000 Pokémon. I'm fine with making moves like how gen 5 limited you to certain ones before postgame.

What are we getting with these games that will make up for these limitations? I don't see anything except stupid big
Pokémon. Had they given up on that dumb gimmick and replaced effort with actually including a few more well loved lines of Pokémon I think this would have gone over better.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, has it been confirmed that there are only 80 new Pokemon?

That's pretty lame.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Basscuda or whatever that shit tier fish Pokémon is go in over scyther and electabuzz lines.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
How many MegaTen demons are there typically in a given game and how involved are they in things like environments and animation-wise?
Totally irrelevant to what I suggested.

They're already making 400 new Pokemon assets for each game anyway, we're just asking them to also shove the old ones in.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Man the yearly schedule is really fucking up the Pokemon games. I REALLY hope they abandon it soon, even they have to realize its not exactly working.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
So fucking stupid. They cut almost all of my favorite. Ampharos, Shinx, Greninja, Rowlet, Totodile, Politoed, Cyndaquil, Piplup, Oshawott, Scizor, Mudkip, Heracross... the list goes on. So disappointed. Just give me Ultra Moon on the Switch. So done with Game Freak's bullshit tbh

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man I FUCKING hate Kanto so much man. Charizard as the only old starter? Suck shit.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Most of my favorite pokemon are out.

Imagine also creating one of the best recent Pokemon in Incineroar, and not allowing it.

Fucking Charizard is in obviously.

Yeah, won't be buying a Switch for this.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Also, y'all, Pokémon Go is alright these days. Haha crazy it's now something comparable to a mainline entry...

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Game freak continues to ruin this series. Look at the bright side, at least all the missing Pokemon died so that they could cram the pointless dynamx models that will undoubtedly be removed next games.
That's what hurts the most, because they do this stupid ass restart every game all of the stuff we end up liking here in shield and sword will be gone next gen, maybe Dynamax is cool but it'll just be in the garbage in a year.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It's hard to feel like it's tongue in cheek when people on this forum has defended harassing Game Freak members on social media on their personal accounts, relating to posts that have nothing to do with Pokemon such as congratulations on a marriage or warnings about a tropical storm, devalued any counterarguments as coming from shills, and repeatedly stretched the truth, lied, or misrepresented the facts on top of rejecting the words of experienced game developers (and yes, I know, that hasn't been universally on GF's side, the point is the hubris and acting like these words mean nothing). You can't get the benefit of a doubt when this has been so mired in poor behavior... and yes, I say that as someone who acknowledges that this brought out the worst in me too.

It's not your responsibility to do anything as a consumer, no. That's why I said that people can be disappointed, or consider this a dealbreaker. But when it becomes part of the ongoing discussion, everyone involved has a responsibility to threat it seriously and to consider all the angles. I let this overwhelm me and it brought out the worst in me, and I apologize for that, but it feels like anything goes as long as you're mad at Game Freak.
I'll just say that I get where you're coming from, because I've found myself in a similar position before... but conflating a group of bad actors with the people in this thread playing along with memes about disappointment is not going to win any support.

KingLear

Oct 25, 2017
no slaking is a serious loss :( he would've been fun alongside that one that wipes abilities.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I'll just say that I get where you're coming from, because I've found myself in a similar position before... but conflating a group of bad actors with the people in this thread playing along with memes about disappointment is not going to win any support.

This was all stuff I saw on this forum, man.