• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kanto pandering was thankfully lowered, but its still showing given that its tied for most galarian forms and is the undisputed king in gigas from old gens.

Man 400 is so low thats such a bummer, i expected 200 cut at most.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
People have done this constantly, with the most common suggestion being give 300-400 Pokemon a make-over each game and reuse old assets for the rest. Atlus does it with MegaTen demons and Gran Turismo does it with cars, it's not exactly a ground-breaking idea.
Been saying this for a while too. The GT model would be the best choice for Pokemon.

Edit: or maybe not considering how many corners they have to cut to make them yearly. They may not even have time for that.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
We'll have to wait for the datamine to see who was coded in despite not being in the PokéDex.

I find it hard to believe Game Freak and TPC would just stop doing event Pokémon and giveaways. Giving away legendaries and mythicals probably isn't going to stop which must mean they're coded in their somewhere.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, as a primary anime fan atleast I'll get to see all my favorites interact with the new ones which I'm pretty positive about. 🤔

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Can someone quote this post with the number of total Pokémon that got cut?

I wanna live the disappointment of which Pokémon aren't there first-hand.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would think cars are mostly reskins and they're a bit different than an animated character.

What about Megaten? How many demons are there?

Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse: 456 (This includes unique enemies and allies that aren't demons but its the closest we're getting so subtract a few from this list)
Persona 5: 221

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
That doesn't mean it's anyone here, or that anyone in this thread is responsible for the actions of those by expressing disappointment.

I guess that's fair, but I have enough trouble with telling people apart in real life that it's almost next to impossible online.

But that's on me, I suppose.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse: 456 (This includes unique enemies and allies that aren't demons but its the closest we're getting so subtract a few from this list)
Persona 5: 221

I see. One last question; do they typically do much outside of battle like has become increasingly the norm in Pokemon's case?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I did kinda assume all the Smash playable characters were getting in. Like not having Greninja or Incineroar is surprising

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The threads on this are so over dramatic and embarrassing honestly.

Most of my favourite pokemon got cut but I dont mind because I've used them already, I have good memories of using them but I dont plan on using them again because that's boring. Especially when we have a brilliant new batch of pokemon to catch.

Also everyone expecting all the goddamn starters to get in, yeah right.

I'm also very pleased that there are more Gen 5 pokemon than Gen 1 pokemon in the game, finally pandering for actual fans and not people who gave up on the series after the first 151.

I really enjoyed the leak thread this past weekend but the state of this community right now is laughable

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Are there no additional postgame mons? Aren't Meltan/Melmetal confirmed to be in?

It still staggers me even now that Charizard is in this game, much worse considering how all other starters were cut. I'm absolutely sick to death of the thing

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't expect it to be this much. This is, uh....yeah. I'm glad I don't have too much of an attachment to this franchise. I can understand why people are very disappointed.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's really funny and sad looking back at the people predicting over half the old Pokémon would make it in.

Some of the cuts are just baffling. Most of the pseudo legendaries for example got the boot. So did all the non-Charmander starters.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Gen 1: 54
Gen 2: 34
Gen 3: 42
Gen 4: 38
Gen 5: 85
Gen 6: 32
Gen 7: 36

Well at least this should quiet done the Gen 8 is nothing but a Gen 1 fest.

Percentage of Pokémon cut per generation (rounded up when decimal was over 0,5 and rounded down when decimal was under 0,5)

Gen 1: 64%
Gen 2: 66%
Gen 3: 69%
Gen 4: 64%
Gen 5: 46%
Gen 6: 55%
Gen 7: 58%

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to see something from this game that actually shows that it warranted the dexcut, even taken as a whole and not as an individual piece

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
250px-550Basculin.png

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I would think cars are mostly reskins and they're a bit different than an animated character.

What about Megaten? How many demons are there?
You haven't explained why my suggestion of using the Sun and Moon models for the missing Pokemon won't work, so I don't know why you expect me to keep jumping through new hoops as you move the goalposts. It literally doesn't matter how many demons are in a series that rarely breaks a million units per game, the point is I'm saying Pokemon should use the same business model. They should keep making the same number of new Pokemon per game and keep refreshing the old assets at the same rate as Sword and Shield (so no extra work for the devs), just don't dump the rest of the old assets in the garbage and instead bring them over.

If the counter-argument is "oh those were for the 3DS they won't work," okay whatever — do what I said starting now. Let Sword and Shield miss most of the cast but start building up the library from this point forward so by the Sinnoh remakes and gen 9 we'll be back to having the whole gang.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see. One last question; do they typically do much outside of battle like has become increasingly the norm in Pokemon's case?

Persona: Outside the main characters Persona's? A few are prominenet mini-bosses but other than that no.

Shin Megami Tensei? The are heavily involved in the plot but outside a few cutscenes these games use static sprites. There is little to no animation on Sprites in SMTIV: A or SMTIV.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
My entire Gen 4 team spanning both Platinum and SoulSilver (with the exception of Gyarados and Lucario) got wiped out, what the fuck?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always use new pokemon in these games so I'm not affected by this at all. I just didn't know how many people just used their exact same team from game to game.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
The game will sell millions so Gamefreak and Nintendo won't care, and hardcore fans will still pay for Bank and Home (Prison) so they will continue to profit from the games. Hopefully they listen to the complaints and address include more Pokémon in future generations now that they are more comfortable working on the Switch.

They really shot themselves in the foot, as the most memorable thing about SwSh will be all the Pokémon they didn't include and not the cool new ones. There is no other way to describe this other than disappointing. I had low expectations, but apparently they weren't low enough.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Is a niche JRPG franchise a fair comparison for the largest IP in the world? Does SMT have a paid subscription service for you to be able to bring your demons along across generations?

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Ugh as someone that hates the Gen 5 designs, this is the most disappointing outcome possible. Would rather have the entire Kanto Dex