• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
No Infernape=No Buy. I'm not going to play a Pokemon game missing what I consider to be essential Pokemon. I legitimately have an emotional attachment to Infernape.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Not even freaking Zubat. Thank god at least Galvantula got in.

Can anyone tell me the total number of new Pokemon?

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
I always use new pokemon in these games so I'm not affected by this at all. I just didn't know how many people just used their exact same team from game to game.

For history I only uses new as well, but then in online battles more pokemon means more options. In invested a lot of time in past gens to obtain a lot of cut pokemon with the right nature, IV and egg moves.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Fuck you too Gamefreak, my favorites got gutted.

400 is a fucking joke, and the worst part is that they're gonna start cutting from this list and the new Pokemon even when assets get reused next game, not because they have too, but because they just feel like it and don't give a shit anymore.

What happens to all the other starters from here on out? Do the Gen 5, 6 and 7 ones have to wait until their respective remakes before they'll be brought back? Do Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and the Gen 2, and Gen 3 starters just not exist anymore?

Oh, and competitive is fucked beyond all repair now, so that's a thing.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's not forget our dear Bulbasaur and Squirtle.

"All gen 1 is equally pandered, but some gen 1 is more equally pandered than others"

I'd largely stayed out of this issue because I didn't know numbers but it looks to me from a quick count that there's almost 500 missing Pokémon? I'm aware of the time and cost to create models and animations but that's truly shocking to me.

Why would they not use the character models and animations from Let's Go for the Gen 1 characters and evolutions?

Have they said they'll add the missing Pokémon in throughout the year in the form of DLC at all?

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Oooffff this hurts, but at least they cut out a shitload of legendaries.

But Mew is green? Can we catch Mew?

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No luxray and the other starters?

Legitimately not buying this until more are patched in.

Fucking Charizard over the other 2 Gen 1 starters? That's terrible.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
You haven't explained why my suggestion of using the Sun and Moon models for the missing Pokemon won't work, so I don't know why you expect me to keep jumping through new hoops as you move the goalposts. It literally doesn't matter how many demons are in a series that rarely breaks a million units per game, the point is I'm saying Pokemon should use the same business model. They should keep making the same number of new Pokemon per game and keep refreshing the old assets at the same rate as Sword and Shield (so no extra work for the devs), just don't dump the rest of the old assets in the garbage and instead bring them over.

If the counter-argument is "oh those were for the 3DS they won't work," okay whatever — do what I said starting now. Let Sword and Shield miss most of the cast but start building up the library from this point forward so by the Sinnoh remakes and gen 9 we'll be back to having the whole gang.

Well, I'd start with the fact that just putting a model into a new game is a lot more involved than it appears, and it again involves characters that tend to be living, breathing, animated ones that are involved with the environment outside of fighting. And "refreshing the assets" strikes me as less easy when a single generation can span half of a console's life cycle, to the point before long, you're starting all over again.

Persona: Outside the main characters Persona's? A few are prominenet mini-bosses but other than that no.

Shin Megami Tensei? The are heavily involved in the plot but outside a few cutscenes these games use static sprites. There is little to no animation on Sprites in SMTIV: A or SMTIV.

Wait, the other MegaTen games just use sprites? They don't have any CGI models that are shared with Persona games?

I don't think cars are just reskins. You have to account for the physics and driving model for each one. Plus customization. Interior models vary a lot too.

That's a good point. I hadn't considered that.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd largely stayed out of this issue because I didn't know numbers but it looks to me from a quick count that there's almost 500 missing Pokémon? I'm aware of the time and cost to create models and animations but that's truly shocking to me.

Why would they not use the character models and animations from Let's Go for the Gen 1 characters and evolutions?

Have they said they'll add the missing Pokémon in throughout the year in the form of DLC at all?

They would have been crucified if Gen 1 got all their ones in while the others had some cut. No DLC.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
My boi charizard made it so that's all that matters and makes this the best pokemon game ever

Christo750

May 10, 2018
We're at over 1,000 Pokemon counting regional variants and Megas, everyone. At a certain point in time, you have to expect GameFreak to reign it in.

The new Pokemon look really good, I have some of my old favorites in there, so 400 makes it much more digestible and beatable to me.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The hardest choices require the strongest wills.

Alakazam was too good for this world 😔

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the other MegaTen games just use sprites? They don't have any CGI models that are shared with Persona games?

I mean...the last console SMT (SMTIII) was released in 2003. This was the only one that used models. Persona 3 was released on 2006 and has been the premier 3d game with demons for the SMT franchise. After SMT has been a DS and 3DS exclusive which uses static sprites.

Darksaberx

Jun 13, 2018
Man, I don't even.. 4/6 pokemon from my competetive team got snapped. I don't have time to make new pokemons. Probbably going to skip this entry. Main game is of no interest for me, I just played online battles.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I always use new pokemon in these games so I'm not affected by this at all. I just didn't know how many people just used their exact same team from game to game.
I like how you assume missing specific Pokémon means they "just used their exact same team from game to game."

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Not putting any starters in besides Charmander seems like a huge mistake, given that starters are going to be a lot of people's favorites.

uiKkxzy.png

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Is a niche JRPG franchise a fair comparison for the largest IP in the world? Does SMT have a paid subscription service for you to be able to bring your demons along across generations?

How do sales affect the amount of work that needs to be done? I've already talked about how more time + money don't necessarily correlate to more content. And then there's the fact that even if Pokemon is bigger on its own, that value is accumulative, as in it represents earnings over time, not what are held currently. And even then, other franchises are backed by corporations far more prosperous and influential than Nintendo and GameFreak. The "biggest IP in the world" ignores so many factors it's gotten to be almost silly.

So yeah, the fact that no other monster battling franchise even approaches Pokemon's scope is entirely relevant.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Sucks to lose so many including Totodile, the best of all Pokemon, and I understand the general disappointment. Personally though, I'm not overly fussed - I see this as an opportunity to find new favourites, ones I haven't really given a chance to before.

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Hydreigon line is in , so whatevs, doesn't bother me that much that they cut so many , can't wait to play Sword.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
User Banned (5 days): antagonizing other users, history of similar behavior
I like how you assume missing specific Pokémon means they "just used their exact same team from game to game."
It's almost like these bootlickers are disingenuous shits who would rather we simply shut up and consume product.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sucks to lose so many including Totodile, the best of all Pokemon, and I understand the general disappointment. Personally though, I'm not overly fussed - I see this as an opportunity to find new favourites, ones I haven't really given a chance to before.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. If people actually gave other pokemon a chance they would find more favourites or might start to like all the pokemon more.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This is exactly what I'm thinking. If people actually gave other pokemon a chance they would find more favourites or might start to like all the pokemon more.

I use as many different Pokemon in my teams as possible. I love a lot of different Pokemon. It doesn't fix the problems with Dexit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Don't worry, your new favorites will be cut from the following game anyway.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
How do sales affect the amount of work that needs to be done? I've already talked about how more time + money don't necessarily correlate to more content. And then there's the fact that even if Pokemon is bigger on its own, that value is accumulative, as in it represents earnings over time, not what are held currently. And even then, other franchises are backed by corporations far more prosperous and influential than Nintendo and GameFreak. The "biggest IP in the world" ignores so many factors it's gotten to be almost silly.

So yeah, the fact that no other monster battling franchise even approaches Pokemon's scope is entirely relevant.

The MCU is worth $34bn, backed by Disney who are worth $240bn. Pokémon is worth $95bn. The IP itself alone is worth 40% of Disney. At what point is it reasonable to expect more from Pokémon? It's not that any other monster battling franchise is close. It's worth nearly 3 times the MCU. It's almost worth Star Wars and the MCU combined. More money definitely doesn't mean more competence, but this is a ridiculous order of magnitude difference. I'd say it's fair for fans to have high expectations.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Is the only explanation for this decision them wanting to give players more attachment to their team by having less options to switch out from? That's what I found from a quick search and I haven't kept up with the whole pokedex discussion. If so, that's really shitty.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like these bootlickers are disingenuous shits who would rather we simply shut up and consume product.

Really? I'm a "Bootlicker"? I said it didn't affect me. I didn't praise GF for it.

Fuck. why does this always fucking happen? I am always wrong. I am not allowed to enjoy things? I enjoy it? It's fucking wrong and I'm a fucking bootlicker.
Why? Why does everyone here hate me so much? It's a fucking game! I'm not scum for liking it! I'm not evil! I'm not cruel! Why am I hated so fucking much? Please! Tell me whyIm' hated? Why do you guys hate me! Why am I SO FUCKING DESPISED!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I use as many different Pokemon in my teams as possible. I love a lot of different Pokemon. It doesn't fix the problems with Dexit.
Yeah. Like I always use a team of all new Pokemon each gen, that doesn't mean that the cuts don't affect me. Especially when it comes time for multiplayer and the maison/tower.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not putting any starters in besides Charmander seems like a huge mistake, given that starters are going to be a lot of people's favorites.

uiKkxzy.png

This is what surprised me the most, when they release Home next year, people are going to try and get their starters over first. So finding they aren't in is going to probably dissuade them from continuing to use Home.

Well, most surprising is still Mewtwo if that actually really is happening.